• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

ShaneB

Well, I keep failing on even the zerg stage three training mission, so I'm glad the HotS campaign is pretty easy and very much non-zergy :p I'm enjoying my replay of WoL, so that's good times.

Anyone else think it's weird that the only male in the room is the only one with a vagina for a mouth?

Abathur_SC2_Game3.jpg

Zzoram

I was extracting the videos from the MPQ files earlier, and I realized I was wrong. SC2 doesn't use Bink at all. It uses.... Theora. Lol. All the video are .ogv files. Guess Activision is too poor to license anything at all and has to use open source stuff! Lol.

Poor? No. Cheap? Yes.

Zzoram

I can understand that but it amazes me that Machine outlasted Puma. I forgot Machine even existed.

Machine is probably on the team for just the cost of room and board.

Puma was probably being paid like $50,000 (my guess given that his salary is a big drain on EG) after his good first year and just couldn't perform to justify his continued cost. It sounds like EG wanted to cut his salary and send him to more foreigner events (where he can win against non-Koreans) but that wasn't agreeable to Puma.

ultron87

I wonder how many people playing the campaign are doing it without making macro hatcheries. It seems like a thing that isn't totally obvious for someone that hasn't played a lot of Zerg or multiplayer.

I wonder how many people playing the campaign are doing it without making macro hatcheries. It seems like a thing that isn't totally obvious for someone that hasn't played a lot of Zerg or multiplayer.
I am new to Zerg so I want to make sure I understand - are you simply referring to making multiple hatcheries and hotkeying them?

Zzoram

For the 2nd Khaldir mission mastery achievement, how do you kill the 3 shuttle bays on Hard before the level ends? I've tried several times and failed.

StMeph

Taking the available expansion ASAP and adding a macro hatch or two is basically how to win in Brutal.

On the first map after building a Queen and not being able to Inject, I was at a bit of a loss as to how to get more larvae. Took me about 30 seconds to remember that, before Queens, people just built tons of Hatcheries in SC1.

Always get more Hatcheries. The larvae cap per hatch is pretty low, and minerals are free-flowing.

Taking the available expansion ASAP and adding a macro hatch or two is basically how to win in Brutal.

On the first map after building a Queen and not being able to Inject, I was at a bit of a loss as to how to get more larvae. Took me about 30 seconds to remember that, before Queens, people just built tons of Hatcheries in SC1.

Always get more Hatcheries. The larvae cap per hatch is pretty low, and minerals are free-flowing.

Why did they remove larva inject from the campaign? Did they ever comment on that?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah I really missed larva inject :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I do however LOVE the new menu music... I always hated the two/three songs in WoL - but the current one that starts with a bang reminds me of WoW/D3.

edit: Master Archives is OP for achievement farming

farnham

Banned
Idra and incontrol have far more value for the team than just their performances in tournaments as i said in my last post. They are popular players who interact quite a bit with the scene. Idra also can bring in quite a few stream viewers for their sponsors (just today he had over 8K viewers for quite a few hours).

Puma on the other hand isn't popular and if he isn't doing well in tournaments he is basically irrelevant to a team like EG.

They have stephano now who plays the role as a foreigner hope that interacts with fans and as an actually competent player

sixghost

I got instant ovies and 20% cd/energy reduction instead for t3 and t6. Agree on most though, esp wild mutation and twin drones ^^

I can't imagine playing on Brutal without ling reconstitution. Bases and larvae are at a premium in a bunch of missions, and it helps with both.

StMeph

They have stephano now who plays the role as a foreigner hope that interacts with fans and as an actually competent player

Emphasis mine.

I donno, he was pretty standoffish and aloof when I saw him at the Red Bull Invitational in Austin last year. Could be because he lost, but he tried to leave the event quietly, and didn't want to really engage fans or anything.

farnham

Banned
after amazon and dhl completely botching the delivery i went out and bought a copy in a retail store. now i have to download the english client :(

korean version seems extremely cheap (36000 won) but i wanted to have a boxed copy.
Emphasis mine.

I donno, he was pretty standoffish and aloof when I saw him at the Red Bull Invitational in Austin last year. Could be because he lost, but he tried to leave the event quietly, and didn't want to really engage fans or anything.

but does idra do that?

smr00

Banned
Emphasis mine.

Players aren't allowed to some privacy every now and then? People aren't allowed to duck out and not want to have to deal with people?

These guys interact with fans pretty much every day all day and sometimes they just want to duck out, sports players do it so who really cares? They don't have to do all this interaction, they don't owe any of us anything.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If he was upset because he lost he didn't really show it. I don't see why he isn't entitled to some peace every now and then.

StMeph

Players aren't allowed to some privacy every now and then? People aren't allowed to duck out and not want to have to deal with people?

These guys interact with fans pretty much every day all day and sometimes they just want to duck out, sports players do it so who really cares? They don't have to do all this interaction, they don't owe any of us anything.

If he was upset because he lost he didn't really show it. I don't see why he isn't entitled to some peace every now and then.

? I wasn't offended, and didn't approach him. Just watched from nearby as he was trying to make his exit.

When someone is described as "interacts with fans", that to me means a high degree of approachability and interaction. The barest interaction should not really count. But I didn't have any expectations of anyone present; I'm just reporting what I saw.

The total opposite -- that night, at least -- was Day9. That guy stayed until he met with every single person that wanted to meet and talk to him, well into 2am in the morning. The friend I was with (and with whom I was crashing) wanted to see him, so we stuck around.

Otherwise, I would have left after the event was over.

duckroll

Finished all the Zerus missions. Holy shit at the final mission there. LOL. It was a ton of fun, but it looks like the bad story isn't the only thing in common HotS shares with Diablo 3 now. ROFLMAO.

smr00

Banned
? I wasn't offended, and didn't approach him. Just watched from nearby as he was trying to make his exit.

When someone is described as "interacts with fans", that to me means a high degree of approachability and interaction. The barest interaction should not really count. But I didn't have any expectations of anyone present; I'm just reporting what I saw.

The total opposite -- that night, at least -- was Day9. That guy stayed until he met with every single person that wanted to meet and talk to him, well into 2am in the morning. The friend I was with (and with whom I was crashing) wanted to see him, so we stuck around.

Otherwise, I would have left after the event was over.
Still doesn't mean that switch has to be on 24/7.

It's like wrestling/sports stars. Highly interactive with fans but sometimes they want to dip out and just relax.

Draft

Finished all the Zerus missions. Holy shit at the final mission there. LOL. It was a ton of fun, but it looks like the bad story isn't the only thing in common HotS shares with Diablo 3 now. ROFLMAO.
There's just one guy at Blizzard designing boss fights and boy is he busy.

StMeph

Still doesn't mean that switch has to be on 24/7.

It's like wrestling/sports stars. Highly interactive with fans but sometimes they want to dip out and just relax.

How exactly does that contradict what I said as my singular experience with him at an event last year?

Instead of "he had an off night", you were saying "he's entitled to some privacy".

And the short of the answer is no. As a public figure in this community, he doesn't have much privacy with regard to his professional sphere (SC2). We should respect his privacy and give him space, but there isn't any real expectation of it, because it's different for public individuals.

StMeph

It's okay. I've figured out the SC2 metaplot.

By writing in yet another ancient-evil-more-powerful-than-anything-the-universe-knows, Blizzard was stuck in a corner.

To rectify that, WoL decided that Raynor and Kerrigan are in love.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe.

Kerrigan will defeat Amon through the power of love.

Zeratul's entire quest in LoV will just serve to reunite Raynor and Kerrigan at the last possible moment.

antitrop

Eg should release idra, machine and incontrol. Sure puma hasnt been doing well lately but those three never had achievements.
Why do you feel the need to exaggerate and lie to slander professional players? Did you just get into eSports six months ago, or just willfully ignorant? How quickly we forget. I don't even feel the need to copy/paste each player's tournament results throughout their entire career, because the statement is just so ridiculous.

Incontrol means more to sponsors than Puma ever did. Professional teams can't exist without sponsorship. Sorry if you don't like it, but you don't get to decide how teams run their business.

I am 100% sure that the promotional and advertisement videos that IdrA, Incontrol, and Machine produce (along with many others) are far more beneficial financially than winning even a GSL Code S and certainly substantially less effort/luck.

Otherwise Incontrol wouldn't have been the team captain of Evil Geniuses three years running. Have you ever thought about what the role of a team captain is aside from actually playing the game in competitions? What he means to the other members of his team?

FStop7

Banned
I finished Zerus last night. I liked the second mission. Final mission not so much.

I really want to start playing multi again but I feel like I'm so far off being remotely able to keep up that it'll be in vain. In SC2 I was only silver league, pretty close to gold. But it's been so long I think I'll be at the bottom of bronze.

Yoshichan

I finished Zerus last night. I liked the second mission. Final mission not so much.

I really want to start playing multi again but I feel like I'm so far off being remotely able to keep up that it'll be in vain. In SC2 I was only silver league, pretty close to gold. But it's been so long I think I'll be at the bottom of bronze.
Bottom bronze is now 8% (from 20%) btw, so I think you'll definitely make silver at least!

It's okay. I've figured out the SC2 metaplot.

By writing in yet another ancient-evil-more-powerful-than-anything-the-universe-knows, Blizzard was stuck in a corner.

To rectify that, WoL decided that Raynor and Kerrigan are in love.

Love is the most powerful force in the universe.

Kerrigan will defeat Amon through the power of love.

Zeratul's entire quest in LoV will just serve to reunite Raynor and Kerrigan at the last possible moment.

You say that jokingly, but I'm still going to facepalm when
the defeat of Amon returns Kerrigan to her TRUE FORM so she and Raynor can walk into the sunset together. That will be the closing shot of LOTV.

Yoshichan

You say that jokingly, but I'm still going to facepalm when
the defeat of Amon returns Kerrigan to her TRUE FORM so she and Raynor can walk into the sunset together.
My biggest issue with the ending of WoL was the fact that it ended with
a sunset.

HotS ending spoilers:
I got even more mad when I realized they did the exact same shit for this game.

My biggest issue with the ending of WoL was the fact that it ended with
a sunset.

HotS spoilers:
I got even more mad when I realized they did the exact same shit for this game.

It always needs to end that way. IT'S LIKE POETRY.

But then it turns out that the sun is the real MOST POWERFUL VILLAIN WE'VE EVER FACED so everyone will team up and fight it in Starcraft 3.

Top Bottom