• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Ive made an mlg thread. Shall i post it now?

Also do you think its ok that ive only mentioned the sc2 tournament? I dont follow their other games so dont know anything about them

you can maybe make a separate one for off-topic.

That MLG lineup looks incredible. All the best Protoss and Terran players in the world I can think of are there. Most of the best Zerg players minus a couple.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I expect Legacy of the Void to strongly feature the Nerazim culture as that has been the driving force behind most of the new units and technology the Protoss have developed. It just makes sense given their relationship and scripture which dictates they take their power from the Void in opposition to the Khala.

Black would be the best color for that. Or maybe something else that goes well with dark colors like red.

StMeph

No, I really don't know how to play this game correctly. I love RTS games but outside of Age of Empires II, I've never been any good at them. Any good examples of what I should do? Usually, I run into a wall when I play where I don't know how to properly counter because everyone's going too fast and timing their builds perfectly. And it gets worst when I play with my friend. He's actually pretty good but we never know when to attack and how to counter.

Your opponents are not timing and doing everything perfectly, or they would be much higher ranked.

But I am not at a level where I should be dispensing advice. There are better sources for that, like TeamLiquid and their Liquipedia. Some of it might not be fully updated for HotS, but transitioning to HotS should not be a huge difference once you learn some of the standard builds.

Or, here on GAF, ask EscapingJail or other high ranked players. But don't just ask hypothetical questions. Provide replays. Ask specific questions. Different situations call for different responses, and the questions you're asking are actually too broad.

In general though, especially for lower divisions, you don't even need to really micro. Macroing alone will see you to victory, but you should still know matchups and openings.

Two basic rules:

- Are you spending all your resources? No? Spend more.
- Do you know what your opponent is doing? If at any point you say no, do more scouting. The more you know about the game (on a meta level), the more information you can assume from seeing very little, but if you don't know much, scout more.

Your opponents are not timing and doing everything perfectly, or they would be much higher ranked.

But I am not at a level where I should be dispensing advice. There are better sources for that, like TeamLiquid and their Liquipedia. Some of it might not be fully updated for HotS, but transitioning to HotS should not be a huge difference once you learn some of the standard builds.

Or, here on GAF, ask EscapingJail or other high ranked players. But don't just ask hypothetical questions. Provide replays. Ask specific questions. Different situations call for different responses, and the questions you're asking are actually too broad.

In general though, especially for lower divisions, you don't even need to really micro. Macroing alone will see you to victory, but you should still know matchups and openings.

Two basic rules:

- Are you spending all your resources? No? Spend more.
- Do you know what your opponent is doing? If at any point you say no, do more scouting. The more you know about the game (on a meta level), the more information you can assume from seeing very little, but if you don't know much, scout more.

I wouldn't bother worrying much about scouting at all at the lower level. All you really need to know is expand timings to determine if a 1 base cheese is coming. Outside of that just practice solely on macro if you are a new player. Scouting is the most overrated part of Starcraft . If you play a safe build and out macro your opponent you should win any lower league game.

Proven

I expect Legacy of the Void to strongly feature the Nerazim culture as that has been the driving force behind most of the new units and technology the Protoss have developed. It just makes sense given their relationship and scripture which dictates they take their power from the Void in opposition to the Khala.

Black would be the best color for that. Or maybe something else that goes well with dark colors like red.

You know what also goes well with Black? Gold.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't know specific openers for Zerg. I totally forgot how to play. I know how to micro and macro up to the mid-game so I'm not worried about that. Anyone have any standard build orders so I can start tweaking? The past few games I've started with 15 pool 15 hatch on medium maps.

Tacitus_

Hunh, apparently your liutenants have new dialog even if they don't have the tooltip. Dehaka just told me that he has a large pack.

Vaporak

I wouldn't consider a 10 Pool a cheese. It's an aggressive, but transitional, opening.

The definition of what constitutes a cheese are pretty vague and open to interpretation. Example: 12/14 in base 2rax bunker rush is not cheesy. 11/11 2rax in the middle of the map is pretty mothafuckin cheesy.

Cheese means a strategy that depends on surprise to work, and when scouted the failure to work basically leaves the cheeser too far behind to win a standard game from there. 10 Pool into nidus worm roaches is definitely cheese.

definition off of liquipedia:
Cheese is a pejorative expression which refers to a strategy that is highly unconventional and designed to take one's opponent by surprise. In general, cheese is hard to beat if not scouted but easy to defeat if it is scouted.

Vodh

So fucking mad right now, I never play 1v1 because it's too stressful but on this account I never had the five straight wins, figured I'd try to get it now. All was well, 4 wins and the last match was against a zerg but the cunts at blizzard figured I had performed so well that they let me face a fucking master player while I was in silver league. Now I might not be silver material, more like gold which I'm now in, but it still felt like a kick to the groin.

Fuuuuuu

If you never play 1v1, it means the matchmaking has very little information to figure out how good you really are. If you've played a total of let's say 10 games since the reset, and you've got 4 wins in the row, it's a pretty fucking clear signal saying 'this guy is better than I expected.' What leagues were the other 4 guys, just out of curiosity? If they were all bronze-silver then I see how you can be mad. But if they were like gold-plat levels, it really isn't unfair.

I haven't played HOTS (but I've heard some stuff about the story) but it seems like the main difference in story between SC1 and 2 is that 1 was about big battles and armies and the clash of civilizations...and SC2 is about Raynor trying to fuck Kerrigan.

It's just a UI artifact. They updated the engine so you can play the game without having everything downloaded. It just streams in stuff as needed, the text at the bottom of the loading screen is just what happens when it checks if you need to dl anything but you already have everything.

what do you mean everything isn't downloaded?what parts aren't downloaded?

Vodh

I haven't played HOTS (but I've heard some stuff about the story) but it seems like the main difference in story between SC1 and 2 is that 1 was about big battles and armies and the clash of civilizations...and SC2 is about Raynor trying to fuck Kerrigan.

yep

HoodWinked

So fucking mad right now, I never play 1v1 because it's too stressful but on this account I never had the five straight wins, figured I'd try to get it now. All was well, 4 wins and the last match was against a zerg but the cunts at blizzard figured I had performed so well that they let me face a fucking master player while I was in silver league. Now I might not be silver material, more like gold which I'm now in, but it still felt like a kick to the groin.

Fuuuuuu

rofl.

I don't think so.

This relationship is nonsense to begin with.. But it is just wrong to say hots is about Raynor trying to fuck Kerrigan. For the most part he is not even IN the story. hots got a bullshit excuse for kerrigan to rebuild the swarm and to crush mengsk. It´s about the zerg invading and burning dozends of terran worlds. (Broodmothers coming back) It´s more about "clashing species" than wol. Which was just an annoying story of some mercenaries doing fetch missions and somehow beating the zerg on their homeworld in the end.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are we talking team color or general aesthetic?

Best protoss team color is orange, truth.
Agreed.

pic1487356_md.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This relationship is nonsense to begin with.. But it is just wrong to say SC2 is about Raynor trying to fuck Kerrigan. For the most part he is not even IN the story. SC2 got a bullshit excuse for kerrigan to rebuild the swarm and to crush mengsk. It´s about the zerg invading and burning dozends of terran worlds. (Broodmothers coming back) It´s more about "clashing species than SC1. Which was just an annoying story of some mercenaries doing fetch missions and somehow beating the zerg on their homeworld in the end.

The entirety of the SC story was about civilizations trying to deal with the threat of the zerg and how to survive and maintain their culture in the midst of space. It was about civilizations locked in conflict and trying to find their own ecosystem and exist either together or apart from each other. Zerg helped to divide and bring the Terran, Protoss, and UED at the same time. It was a story about characters yes but it's about what these characters represented as well, in this case their races.

Starcraft II is not about this at all. The entirety of WoL's story is about gathering artifacts to destroy or save Kerrigan. The game alluded to the grander plot of the Dark One but didn't go deep enough to say that it was a major plot point at the time. It's a non-factor. SCII is about character relationships and in this case it's about Raynor and Kerrigan at the moment. If you deny this then I feel like you're overlooking some things or misunderstanding the story.

I'm tired of being called a "faggot" in SC2 so can someone help? Is this truly considered a cheese strategy?

I build my 6 zerglings pretty quick and I rush to their base to scout. While I scout, I rush to their builders and take out as many as I can before dying. At this point, I'm called names and told I'm a no skill cheese. Granted, I know I'm no skill but... So anyway, once I know where they're at, I defend a possible retaliation with roaches and then work on building a wave of air units to defeat them. OR I build a nexus network in the back of their base and kill them with roaches.

So is this cheese or are they just mad? I really don't know, I'm probably one of the worst RTS gamers of all time.
Every cheese is completely viable, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you keep winning you'll eventually get to the point where people will stomp it and you'll have to adapt.

Keep playing to win, don't let anyone say otherwise to you.

Vodh

Just from the quickest first impressions, from a silver point of view, what's changed for Zerg and Toss in multi? So far I feel like Terran is a lot different because of the Reapers changes and the Widow Mines, but Zerg and Toss feel pretty much the same - zerg is just exactly the same and Toss has a flying thingy that does not do too much flying around. Is Mothership Core a major game-changer? Are there any important changes to WoL Toss units?

The entirety of the SC story was about civilizations trying to deal with the threat of the zerg and how to survive and maintain their culture in the midst of space. It was about civilizations locked in conflict and trying to find their own ecosystem and exist either together or apart from each other. Zerg helped to divide and bring the Terran, Protoss, and UED at the same time. It was a story about characters yes but it's about what these characters represented as well, in this case their races.

Starcraft II is not about this at all. The entirety of WoL's story is about gathering artifacts to destroy or save Kerrigan. The game alluded to the grander plot of the Dark One but didn't go deep enough to say that it was a major plot point at the time. It's a non-factor. SCII is about character relationships and in this case it's about Raynor and Kerrigan at the moment. If you deny this then I feel like you're overlooking some things or misunderstanding the story.

Sorry.. my mind automatically translated SC1 to wol and SC2 to hots. You are right of course.

J2d

If you never play 1v1, it means the matchmaking has very little information to figure out how good you really are. If you've played a total of let's say 10 games since the reset, and you've got 4 wins in the row, it's a pretty fucking clear signal saying 'this guy is better than I expected.' What leagues were the other 4 guys, just out of curiosity? If they were all bronze-silver then I see how you can be mad. But if they were like gold-plat levels, it really isn't unfair.
Silver to diamond, guess I should have seen it coming then. Just gonna take a break now, been playing far too much and the game is starting to get on my nerves.

Ketch

So I had some money from the D3 auction house, but I still need to add funds to buy HotS. Anybody know how long it takes my balance to update?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Sorry. T_T I'm bad at trying to take the intonation of posts.

Serious. I just read SC1 as wol in my mind. Just realized my mistake. ^^ You are right, SC1 is far superiour in storytelling and SC2 is just a really cheesy love story with bad writing. I lost it when raynor called her "honey" (not sure about that - played the german version). The last time he saw her he swore to kill her. First direct contact in sc2 - honey. ridiculous.

J2d, problem is the game currently has very little idea how good anyone is. They should've kept the MMR from your WoL ladder, just as a guide, at least it wouldn't put off new players who get 5 plat to masters players in their placements..

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
J2d, problem is the game currently has very little idea how good anyone is. They should've kept the MMR from your WoL ladder, just as a guide, at least it wouldn't put off new players who get 5 plat to masters players in their placements..

This is more or less why I'm waiting till next week to do my placements. Just leveling myself against bots in the mean time.

FStop7

Banned
I get so much satisfaction out of seeing a base flooded with speedlings. Even more so in the campaign due to the jumping ling variant with the larger wings. Pouring a big cluster of them down into a base is so creepy awesome.

J2d

Yea I know, my last two games was against a bronze and master player so it's clear that it is pretty messed up at the moment.

They need to fix the achievements btw, a lot of Kerrigans doesn't update at all for me.

KaYotiX

Banned
This is more or less why I'm waiting till next week to do my placements. Just leveling myself against bots in the mean time.
Same,a few friends were complaining about playing diamond ppl in placements.I told them to wait but they didn't care lol.

Top Bottom