• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Tacitus_

Holy fuck the last mission on Zerus was intense on Brutal. Wiped a couple of times due to
the last boss summoning fucking ultralisks and those acid gobblers who do aoe dmg
. Other than that, smooth sailing so far.

antitrop

Oh, that was IPL6 that was going to use WoL?

I know there was some major tournament right around the launch of HotS that was still going to use the old game.

Whatever it is I want to make sure that I do everything in my power to avoid watching it. If it was IPL6, then that has already been taken care of for me.

Deadman

Yeah it was going to be ipl6. There are some players who got burned by sticking with wol for a long time specifically because they were going there, then it got cancelled.

SamuraiX-

When does the MLG thread go up?

An impressive list of participants this year:
LMSO0jL.png

Already in the Round of 32 we're gonna see:
  • Polt vs Creator
  • MC vs herO
  • Seed vs Rain

lawd

I see almost that entire list of Zergs disappearing very quickly. I expect only Life and maybe Leenock to still be around by the Quarterfinals.

DryvBy

I'm tired of being called a "faggot" in SC2 so can someone help? Is this truly considered a cheese strategy?

I build my 6 zerglings pretty quick and I rush to their base to scout. While I scout, I rush to their builders and take out as many as I can before dying. At this point, I'm called names and told I'm a no skill cheese. Granted, I know I'm no skill but... So anyway, once I know where they're at, I defend a possible retaliation with roaches and then work on building a wave of air units to defeat them. OR I build a nexus network in the back of their base and kill them with roaches.

So is this cheese or are they just mad? I really don't know, I'm probably one of the worst RTS gamers of all time.

f0rk

I'm tired of being called a "faggot" in SC2 so can someone help? Is this truly considered a cheese strategy?

I build my 6 zerglings pretty quick and I rush to their base to scout. While I scout, I rush to their builders and take out as many as I can before dying. At this point, I'm called names and told I'm a no skill cheese. Granted, I know I'm no skill but... So anyway, once I know where they're at, I defend a possible retaliation with roaches and then work on building a wave of air units to defeat them. OR I build a nexus network in the back of their base and kill them with roaches.

So is this cheese or are they just mad? I really don't know, I'm probably one of the worst RTS gamers of all time.

When do you build your pool

antitrop

I've played 6 base vs 6 base 65 minute macro games and still been called a cheesy faggot.
People do not use that term on ladder literally or with understanding of the meaning. Ignore it.

Post-defeat rationalization is anything but rational.

DryvBy

I've played 6 base vs 6 base 65 minute macro games and still been called a cheesy faggot.

People do not use that term on ladder literally or with understanding of the meaning. Ignore it.

Is my strategy cheese? I mean, I know the Protos cannon rush is cheese, something I used before 2 years ago, but I thought my Zerg strategy was pretty mediocre at best.

That's faster than average but not really cheese, they just sound bad

They must be the worst players ever because I'm horrible Aside from today, my ranked record was 13 of 93. Pretty bad.

f0rk

Is my strategy cheese? I mean, I know the Protos cannon rush is cheese, something I used before 2 years ago, but I thought my Zerg strategy was pretty mediocre at best.

They must be the worst players ever because I'm horrible Aside from today, my ranked record was 13 of 93. Pretty bad.

Try some videos like this series. 10 Pool can work I guess but it isn't really the best strategy if you want to get better as it doesn't encourage macro play

Draft

Sending 6 early lings to "scout" and kill a bunch of workers is cheese. People that die to it are going to get salty.

antitrop

I wouldn't consider a 10 Pool a cheese. It's an aggressive, but transitional, opening.

The definition of what constitutes a cheese are pretty vague and open to interpretation. Example: 12/14 in base 2rax bunker rush is not cheesy. 11/11 2rax in the middle of the map is pretty mothafuckin cheesy.

mercviper

6-pool is cheese. It seems like you just have a fast rush in your build. I wouldn't really consider it cheese since you actually transition to something later. Cheese is something I feel falls under the all-or-nothing category and if it gets scouted/fails then they tend to lose the game immediately afterwards because the gamble set them so far behind.

farnham

Banned
i lost one game to a master and got straight to platinum :(
I wouldn't consider a 10 Pool a cheese. It's an aggressive, but transitional, opening.

The definition of what constitutes a cheese are pretty vague and open to interpretation. Example: 12/14 in base 2rax bunker rush is not cheesy. 11/11 2rax in the middle of the map is pretty mothafuckin cheesy.

you have to be prepared or use any build. risky builds are just as valid as are safe builds.

So, purple is everywhere in HotS. Purple is sexy. Everything was blue for WoL.

Is Legacy of the Void going to be ugly yellow? I hope they at least opt for gold.

DryvBy

Thanks, guys. I'm just trying out ways to play. I just wanted to see why people were considering me a cheeser. I'm going to watch some tutorial videos while I eat and try some new things out later.

J2d

So fucking mad right now, I never play 1v1 because it's too stressful but on this account I never had the five straight wins, figured I'd try to get it now. All was well, 4 wins and the last match was against a zerg but the cunts at blizzard figured I had performed so well that they let me face a fucking master player while I was in silver league. Now I might not be silver material, more like gold which I'm now in, but it still felt like a kick to the groin.

Fuuuuuu

StMeph

I wouldn't be too concerned with what people are calling you when they lose.

The better question is: do you know how to do anything else?

If this is your one game plan, with no contingencies or deviations, then that's your problem. If 10pool is your standard opening, do you have different branches based on how your opponent defends or what he is building?

Because, even if you get really, really good at this build, it's not going to trump every other build out there. It's going to have bad matchups, or else this would be the new metagame. Eventually you'll hit a wall.

All of that is just a roundabout way of saying you should be trying stuff out to add more things to your game. Learn to play the long game, different matchups and counters, and different standard openings. Don't shoehorn one strategy against every opponent.

LMSO0jL.png

• Polt vs Creator
  • MC vs herO
  • Seed vs Rain

lawd

I see almost that entire list of Zergs disappearing very quickly. I expect only Life and maybe Leenock to still be around by the Quarterfinals.

Gonna be freaking awesome. Just 2 more hours. CANT WAIT

Yes, absolutely. The presentation and design of the campaign itself is exquisite. Everyone has harped on the pathetic plot to death, though, so you should already be familiar with that caveat.

Which is also not the reason to play StarCraft (for the story).

I do realize the original game's story was awesome but that's neither here nor there. The gameplay, the engine, the art, the sound, the UI etc. are all sexy as hell, as you'd expect from Blizzard RTS.

ShaneB

Comp stomps are fun as well if you're not looking to play other people.

lol, we'll play some matches this weekend, you can destroy me to get your confidence up. edit: I misread you saying "curb stomps are fun as well if you're lookin to play other people" lol

Also, I'll be checking out of the MLG tourny this weekend, which I guess will be the first time I'll follow along to a SC2 event. lol

LMSO0jL.png

• Polt vs Creator
  • MC vs herO
  • Seed vs Rain

lawd

LOL Terran bracket has only Thorzain as the only foreigner.

I wish Illusion passed instead of Vibe but he is American Korean so that wouldn't help.

DryvBy

I wouldn't be too concerned with what people are calling you when they lose.

The better question is: do you know how to do anything else?

If this is your one game plan, with no contingencies or deviations, then that's your problem. If 10pool is your standard opening, do you have different branches based on how your opponent defends or what he is building?

Because, even if you get really, really good at this build, it's not going to trump every other build out there. It's going to have bad matchups, or else this would be the new metagame. Eventually you'll hit a wall.

All of that is just a roundabout way of saying you should be trying stuff out to add more things to your game. Learn to play the long game, different matchups and counters, and different standard openings. Don't shoehorn one strategy against every opponent.

No, I really don't know how to play this game correctly. I love RTS games but outside of Age of Empires II, I've never been any good at them. Any good examples of what I should do? Usually, I run into a wall when I play where I don't know how to properly counter because everyone's going too fast and timing their builds perfectly. And it gets worst when I play with my friend. He's actually pretty good but we never know when to attack and how to counter.

Deadman

Ive made an mlg thread. Shall i post it now?

Also do you think its ok that ive only mentioned the sc2 tournament? I dont follow their other games so dont know anything about them

Top Bottom