• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Neki

I honestly was sad they had no larva injects, you're only running one to two bases in most campaign missions, and I was always larva starved before setting up a macro hatchery. whatever, that's why we got zergling reconstitution!

oh man, one of the protoss tech abilities should be the ability to bring back the dragoon

dragoons the best protoss units

better yet, bring back fenix

just put his corspe into another dragoon

Jubbly

I got my legit key via simplygames day of release, but it refused to activate. Reputable site, but I checked with them and they reported no issues with their keys.

Went onto Blizzard's live chat support, waited an age because it's release day (I'm cool with that), but when I do finally speak to someone I get absolutely nowhere and am told to submit a ticket.

OK, do that. 1 day passes. Then 2. Ah, finally, a response, hopefully I can now play HOTS!

Hey there!

Unfortunately there are a small number of accounts that are experiencing an issue when applying the HotS code to their account like this. Our developers are working through them as a matter of urgency to get them updated as soon as possible.

Have a great day and stay safe.

<rage face.jpg>

That is your generic copy and paste response to a customer who has waited patiently for days for at minimum some help, and at best the ability to play the game he paid for? Am absolutely incensed.

Would it have killed them to have them to include "we apologise", or "sorry"? We messed up, but hey there, have a great day and don't get hit by a bus! WTF?!

So I won't be playing this weekend, and I might not be playing for a long long time. Could they not have invalidated the key and activated HOTS on my account? Would that have been too logicial a move? Jesus. I don't normally get so annoyed at things, but this is some of the worst and most inconsiderate customer support I've ever received.

Alucrid

Banned
I'd like to try and become semi-competent at the mp in this game. could anyone link me to a decent resource for this? i've been watching some streams on twitch and i think it's just too high level for me to take much away when i don't have the basics established.

f0rk

I'd like to try and become semi-competent at the mp in this game. could anyone link me to a decent resource for this? i've been watching some streams on twitch and i think it's just too high level for me to take much away when i don't have the basics established.

I've found these videos (for your chosen race, the builds are a little out of date as well as they don't include HOTS stuff) good to come back to the game with, but they still might be a little advanced. Have you done the tutorials and played the AI at all?

Alucrid

Banned
I've found these videos (for your chosen race, the builds are a little out of date as well) good to come back to the game with, but they still might be a little advanced. Have you done the tutorials and played the AI at all?

Thanks, I'll check these out. They did new MP tutorials for hots, right? If so I haven't looked at them yet, and I haven't played the AI since wol.

The same guy will be starting a hots specific series next week too.

Cool, I'll stay tuned for them too.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
This game.

That is all.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Uh, why can't I really point my hatchery (single-player) anymore?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I really need to reinstall SC2 onto my ssd. Preforming a fresh windows install killed my hdd space so I had to put it on an 2ndary drive lol.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Did Blizzard change APM calculation since early WoL?

I remember being in the 60-70 APM category just after WoL beta. I start up my first 1v1 while I'm super rusty and I'm consistently just above 100 APM. I never got that high before, not even on a good day.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I remember being in the 60-70 APM category just after WoL beta. I start up my first 1v1 while I'm super rusty and I'm consistently just above 100 APM. I never got that high before, not even on a good day.

I noticed this. I averaged around 120 APM but now I'm at 249 all of a sudden.

remz

Maybe it counts keyboard actions as well as mouse clicks now?

Ranvier

Just 4 missions in and loving the game right now. Yes the story makes me feel all tingly inside like the last 5 minutes of a Full House episide but the cutscenes and gameplay are really cool. I haven't played in 2 years and have lost all ability at macroing. I can however keep a ling alive forever due to the awesome micro skills developed playing Dota.

Does anyone know if the cinematices and cutscenes are on the Blu ray that came with the CE? They had them on the WOL CE.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Umm like a year or so ago they introduced effective APM (APM minus spam) to go along with the regular APM. Besides that I dont think there has been much changes. But I havnt been messing around with Multi much yet.

ZealousD

Umm like a year or so ago they introduced effective APM (APM minus spam) to go along with the regular APM. Besides that I dont think there has been much changes. But I havnt been messing around with Multi much yet.

Yeah, but like I said, I'm recalling how APM was calculated in WoL days, like beta and post-release. I never got to triple digits in those days and now I am?

My main problem is my APM is so low. I'm stuck between 40-50. This even hurts me when I play the custom games and things like DOTA. So frustrating.

ZealousD

My main problem is my APM is so low. I'm stuck between 40-50. This even hurts me when I play the custom games and things like DOTA. So frustrating.

Being too concerned about your APM is a mental block. If you go in with the mindset of "I can't do that because my APM is too low" then all you're doing is limiting yourself and you won't improve.

Just focus on trying to improve your game and your APM will rise with it.

antitrop

I'll requote my post concerning APM from earlier:

I believe that due to the changes to the game clock in HotS (i.e., real-time instead of Blizzard time), APM is now calculated differently, so you should have a much higher APM in HotS than Wings of Liberty. Because 1 in-game minute is now longer (60 seconds now, as opposed to whatever it was before, much shorter, probably more like low 40s), you have more time to input actions in 1 minute, therefore significantly increasing your APM.

I believe StarCraft 1 calculated APM to 60 seconds, like HotS now does. But StarCraft 1 and 2 have very different definitions of what the games consider an "Action".

I'll add that the reason WoL matches were far less than 60 seconds for a minute is because the 60 second minute is tied to the 'Normal' game speed. Ladder games are played on the 'Faster' speed, resulting in a compressed minute much quicker than real-time. They have addressed this issue in HotS, to the best of my knowledge.

Yoshichan

Nah, they made it so you get more apm with one of the final patches that came in WoL.

FluxWaveZ

Don't know if I'm sharing this properly, but here's a link to the replay of a match I just did. I was Z, opponent was T. Went bio + siege tanks and I went ling/bane/muta. Ended up losing and I'd like a bit of advice. Maybe I should have made infestors?

cdkee

Banned
Don't know if I'm sharing this properly, but here's a link to the replay of a match I just did. I was Z, opponent was T. Went bio + siege tanks and I went ling/bane/muta. Ended up losing and I'd like a bit of advice. Maybe I should have made infestors?

Vipers are good. Blinding cloud pretty much makes tanks useless. I feel like they will definitely become part of the matchup as standard.

So I ran SC2 to get HoS and it did its optimizer deal but its giving me a insane amount of error reports.

Restarting and running it as administrator is doing nothing.
Any of you run into this?

ZealousD

I don't think your composition was the problem. I think you fell behind around the time you let him take your third for free. You had the food advantage but I think you got too scared and ran back to your natural instead of using your banelings.

Yoshichan

Second playthrough done! I thought I'd have 100% single player achievements, but I had no idea about the "farm"-achievements (Deal 15k damage with Kerrigan etc) :3

FluxWaveZ

Vipers are good. Blinding cloud pretty much makes tanks useless. I feel like they will definitely become part of the matchup as standard.

Yeah, but the thing about Vipers is that a hive is necessary so they're used at least fairly late in a game, right?

I don't think your composition was the problem. I think you fell behind around the time you let him take your third for free. You had the food advantage but I think you got too scared and ran back to your natural instead of using your banelings.

Thanks for the analysis. Yeah, watching it, it's pretty much at the time I lost my third that I really got behind.

This game's hard.

Zzoram

Widow mines seem way too good against zerg. They are such a pain to clear out.

Lead with a roach when walking undetected ground. Lead mutas with an overlord.

Just 1 leading unit with decent hp can tank 2 widow mines easily and make them do nothing to your army. Micro, Zergs should learn to use it. Marine splitting against Banelings is harder than having a leading unit.

Wunder

You can also actually see burrowed mines unlike baneling mines. I think they are easier to see than infestors and roaches I think.

Xamdou

FYI, if i join your group, i suck. i haven't played SC MP since SC1, lol

Everyone is welcome, there's a tutorial that teach you the basics and you can play vs the Ai to test out strategies! There's also unranked matches as well.

Top Bottom