• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Zzoram

I don't understand why people are saying the SC2 story sucks. I like it, it's fun and entertaining.

I guess it doesn't "suck" but it's just not up to the standard of the glorious gameplay. It's a typical video game trashy cliched story with plot holes and broken continuity.

fanboi

Banned
I don't understand why people are saying the SC2 story sucks. I like it, it's fun and entertaining.

Also, Brood War story is much better and has a different direction (aka much darker, grittier) which fans miss.

This is the Bay-age of story telling, good in it own regard, but not as full filling.

Valnen

Also, Brood War story is much better and has a different direction (aka much darker, grittier) which fans miss.

This is the Bay-age of story telling, good in it own regard, but not as full filling.

Not really sure I agree that the old games are objectively "better" in terms of story.

Not really sure I agree that the old games are objectively "better" in terms of story.

The scope of the two stories is totally different. SC1 was about a clash of civilizations. SC2 is a romance between 2 characters. You can tell why fans like the first one better.

I wonder if Activision is to blame for the "dumbing down" or mass appeal-ization of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the cause of the dumbing down of Diablo 3 as well.

Zzoram

The dialogue and voice acting had more emotion to it and was less cheesy when it was trying to be serious. The story was darker. Kerrigan wasn't a damsel in distress with doe eyes towards Raynor. She was angry and bitter at being left to the Zerg and once she assumed control, she wanted to kill everyone and assert dominance so she would never be helpless again. Raynor wanted to kill her for all the people she betrayed and playing him for a fool.

SC2 messed with continuity a bit (always annoying to fans) and turned the story into something else. Now apparently they were in love (although they were fond of each other SCBW never mentioned an actual relationship or love) and he wanted to rescue her and run off and get married and ignore the universe or something (he said as much in the beginning of HotS). In SC1 they only knew each other briefly and flirted a bit before she was left behind to the Zerg.

profit

North America

I was trying to find my battlenet ID... copied a link to my profile instead... How do you user interface?

Starcraft Profile

New page, new repost

Hey everyone!

A few pages ago I saw some people asking about the neogaf group and joining the clan.

First of all, please specify if you are on NA or EU servers.
If EU, you fall under my jurisdiction!
When in game, just go to the group tabs (next to friends) and search for the group neogaf. Its a public group so you can join. That way I can easily invite you if you are online at the time. You could also ask other people with the [GAF tag infront of their name, I made most members officers so they can invite you to the clan aswell.

If you want to join on NA just do the same thing, only Aylinato is the clan leader on NA. Ask him or any other officer that is in the neogaf group for an invite.

Note: you cannot be invited to a clan when you are in a game, if you wish to be invited, please hang around the main menu for a while!

If you have any questions and I dont reply to you in this thread, please send a PM.

Have a good day, GG HF!

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The scope of the two stories is totally different. SC1 was about a clash of civilizations. SC2 is a romance between 2 characters. You can tell why fans like the first one better.

I wonder if Activision is to blame for the "dumbing down" or mass appeal-ization of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if they were the cause of the dumbing down of Diablo 3 as well.

i'm more partial to the idea that metzen has been chasing the same girl for the last decade and his creative output is the equivalent of sending her a mix tape in middle school.

Story was fucking awesome, lol at blaming activision just because you don't like the story.

It's definitely an above average video game story. It's funny how some other game's stories will be praised compared to this one around here. It's just some serious rose tinted goggles over a story we went through when we were over 10 years younger. You can go back and play it again and try to be objective, but it's always the first impression a story leaves on you that counts. I know my middle school self would be shitting his pants over how awesome SC2 is.

Don't know if I'm sharing this properly, but here's a link to the replay of a match I just did. I was Z, opponent was T. Went bio + siege tanks and I went ling/bane/muta. Ended up losing and I'd like a bit of advice. Maybe I should have made infestors?

During his attack that killed your nat at around 12 minutes you were pretty far behind. but you seemed to rebound well because he was light on the pressure from there.

When you killed all the workers at his 3rd while he was attacking your 3rd you should have pulled the mutas back and fought together with the lings. crushing his army and keeping your economy.

Take a 4th earlier and try to tech to ultralisks with like 3 infestors if you get into the lategame economy. (4th base for Zerg).

Story was fucking awesome, lol at blaming activision just because you don't like the story.

It's definitely an above average video game story. It's funny how some other game's stories will be praised compared to this one around here. It's just some serious rose tinted goggles over a story we went through when we were over 10 years younger. You can go back and play it again and try to be objective, but it's always the first impression a story leaves on you that counts. I know my middle school self would be shitting his pants over how awesome SC2 is.

Ditto haha, The story was perfectly fine. Yes it wasn't anything award winning. But it's definitely above average when you compare it to most of the crap we get today.

jersoc

finished campaign today. will get all achievements in normal then probably try a harder difficulty. normal was soooo easy. roach hydra with queens for healing. gg all day.

fanboi

Banned
finished campaign today. will get all achievements in normal then probably try a harder difficulty. normal was soooo easy. roach hydra with queens for healing. gg all day.

Brutal was also WAY to easy, I mean, only problem I have had is
that last boss on the jungle planet due to cheapness... big Lizard dude

Brutal was also WAY to easy, I mean, only problem I have had is
that last boss on the jungle planet due to cheapness... big Lizard dude

I keep hearing people say that boss was hard, but I beat that level my first attempt haha. (On Brutal, first run though the game.)

Also the Swarm host level too. I just massed Mutas, didn't make a single swarm host LOL.

CrunchyB

The dialogue and voice acting had more emotion to it and was less cheesy when it was trying to be serious. The story was darker. Kerrigan wasn't a damsel in distress with doe eyes towards Raynor. She was angry and bitter at being left to the Zerg and once she assumed control, she wanted to kill everyone and assert dominance so she would never be helpless again. Raynor wanted to kill her for all the people she betrayed and playing him for a fool.

SC2 messed with continuity a bit (always annoying to fans) and turned the story into something else. Now apparently they were in love (although they were fond of each other SCBW never mentioned an actual relationship or love) and he wanted to rescue her and run off and get married and ignore the universe or something (he said as much in the beginning of HotS). In SC1 they only knew each other briefly and flirted a bit before she was left behind to the Zerg.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This isn't nostalgia speaking, people. SC2/BW had way better, less convoluted story lines.

This happens a lot with sequels btw. Hollywood keeps rebooting movies because much of the same reason, it's easier to start with a blank slate.

FWIW, the actual missions in HotS are very well designed and obviously took many man-hours to create. I personally think it's a bit too much Diablo and not enough Starcraft, but I appreciate the effort they put into it.

Finished the campaign on hard, my thoughts:

+ Great Mission design
+ Good representation of the Story
+ Evolving Swarm was fun
+ Kerrigan was fun to control

- A bit too easy
- Too little Protoss
- Story didn't really advance much
- Evolution Missions could have been better

Overall I really liked it, but I am eagerly waiting for the Protoss campaign :D

Holden

Finished the campaign on hard, my thoughts:

+ Great Mission design
+ Good representation of the Story
+ Evolving Swarm was fun
+ Kerrigan was fun to control
+ A bit too easy

- Too little Protoss
- Story didn't really advance much
- Evolution Missions could have been better

Overall I really liked it, but I am eagerly waiting for the Protoss campaign :D

wat

Des0lar

will learn eventually

Well, accodring to "fans" they say its better.

But each to his own, I like it for what it is.

I haven't played HotS so far, but what they set up with WoL pretty much took a huge dump on SC1 story already.

I can recommend this video series (even though I think he is exaggerating in some parts and he sometimes comes off as a douche, but whatever)

It's trying to emulate redlettermedia, so if you can't stand that, better not watch it.
If you think this is really bad, at least watch part 3 and 4. I think they wonderfully illustrate what's wrong with SC2s story. Part 1 is not the strong point of this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E95k-Gajk1E

Very strong argument...

One story is about stealing fire from the gods, betrayal and revenge.
The other is about a super evil force that all the races of the galaxy have to unite against and a prophecised damsel in distress who will save us somehow.

One story unfolds through the events and decisions of it's actors.
The other unfolds because "Zeratul, forget what you know, everything is different actually and the prophecy tells us what is really going to happen".

Because you'd have to restart missions?

No, because I like to rush bases with many many Zergs and the spike from hard to brutal is pretty harsh. I wanted to enjoy the missions. Why are you so defensive anyways? I just said it was a bit on the easy side for hard, some Missions could have been a bit harder, others were fine, nothing to argue about really.

Wunder

No, because I like to rush bases with many many Zergs and the spike from hard to brutal is pretty harsh. I wanted to enjoy the missions. Why are you so defensive anyways? I just said it was a bit on the easy side for hard, some Missions could have been a bit harder, others were fine, nothing to argue about really.

I'm just asking questions because you didn't seem to understand the other guys quote - which is you saying it was a bit easy but you also played it on hard.

Not everyone was in middle school when they finished BW and despite what you say here you can objectively judge a story even if you experienced it for the first time a long time ago.

duckroll

LOL. The last mission in Skygeirr is a DBZ tug-of-war where you have to lower the bad guy's power level? Really? This is pretty hilarious. Somewhat creative though. :p

Oh well, time to build to 200 supply and press F2.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ah, yesterday reminded me of how fun SC2 can be... stayed up till 9am, got 3 hours of sleep and now ready to roll for another 24. Let's go.

Been playing through on hard. I don't know if it's just me and I'm bad, or if some achievements are really difficult if not downright impossible at this difficulty or above. I guess that's why you only need to be on normal for them. Restarted the (third?) mission about half a dozen times trying to get the achievements on hard, but even with a macro hatch, I don't think it's very easy, if possible, to do so before the reinforcements arrive. At least getting both at once. You might be able to just suicide everything in for one of them. But I figured I'd start on hard and move down only if I needed to after glancing through the thread and seeing people saying that normal was too easy.

Story missions are fun though so far, but I also thought the gameplay in the WoL campaign was sublime. Story itself is a bit meh, but we'll see where it goes. I can already guess one possibility for a twist coming on.

CmdBash

they didnt add separate MMR for races did they?

nope, but technically you can do two races on each region. one race on unranked and one on ranked play.

on another note, the campaign is sooo fun :) the gameplay gimmicks for each level keep it so fresh and fun.

Shadybiz

So I ran SC2 to get HoS and it did its optimizer deal but its giving me a insane amount of error reports.

Restarting and running it as administrator is doing nothing.
Any of you run into this?

Yes, I had the same thing yesterday. It was frustrating the hell out of me. I am one of those guys who does not install Adobe or Java. I read some tidbit that said that this MIGHT have something to do with it, so I installed both of those, completely deleted all Starcraft II data, restarted the pc, and then reinstalled. It now works. Hopefully that solution works for you.

farnham

Banned
So i am halfway through the single player. Love it so far. I did not really care about the story since i gave up on it since wol and i also understand that legacy of the void will be the time to make my final judgement.

farnham

Banned
I guess it doesn't "suck" but it's just not up to the standard of the glorious gameplay. It's a typical video game trashy cliched story with plot holes and broken continuity.

Especially if you take into account the story of starcraft 1 and brood war

Top Bottom