• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Wait... this is out? How's the campaign? can someone tell me if the story is at least better because it was dreadful in SC2, almost non-existent but I did like the cut scenes and the adventure mini-game. Is it worth playing through?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
A lot of those have a hidden "In a single mission" qualifier. The number its showing is the highest its attained in a single mission.

I wondered this and loaded up a mission and to no avail, the other achievements are working fine just these couple which are causing me grief.

Smoking corpses (Use of kinetic blast)
Leaping death (Use of leap strike)
Get a grip (Use of Crushing grip)

One which did give me tons of grief until i worked it out was the mastery for Planetfall, very tricky. For those ever frustrated by it the achievement appears undoable (did it 6 times to no avail) until you work out dominion structures also includes neutral non attack move structures such as statues.

f0rk

Ok, I need help with Protoss strategy. I start off by making Probes until I hit the supply cap, then I send one to make a Pylon and a Gateway. I've put in enough minerals to make another Gateway, and while I'm at it, make more probes to build an Assimilator and start mining Vespene. The two Gateways are built and I start warping in Zealots. When I get enough, I build a Cybernetics Core and research the Warp Gate. After converting my Gateways, I start putting out Stalkers and more Zealots when I can. Maybe I'll put in a Stargate. It's at this point my opponent comes in and overwhelms me with a huge army. Any tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3w61sIdFjs

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Wait... this is out? How's the campaign? can someone tell me if the story is at least better because it was dreadful in SC2, almost non-existent but I did like the cut scenes and the adventure mini-game. Is it worth playing through?

The story is absolutely, unalterably bad, so much so that calling it a story gives it too much credit, suffice to say it does everything in its power to reverse WOL and go back to the status quo. That being said the cutscenes are as usual, awesome, and the mission design is pretty much flawless and enjoyable.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I wondered this and loaded up a mission and to no avail, the other achievements are working fine just these couple which are causing me grief.

Smoking corpses (Use of kinetic blast)
Leaping death (Use of leap strike)
Get a grip (Use of Crushing grip)

One which did give me tons of grief until i worked it out was the mastery for Planetfall, very tricky. For those ever frustrated by it the achievement appears undoable (did it 6 times to no avail) until you work out dominion structures also includes neutral non attack move structures such as statues.

Again, you have to do x number in a single mission. So Kinetic Blast 50 times in a single mission, crushing 150, etc. Long and tedious as fuck.

Easiest mission I found to do it was the baneling one, since you have an essentially unlimited amount of time as long as you kill the one "boss" repeatedly.

The story is absolutely, unalterably bad, so much so that calling it a story gives it too much credit, suffice to say it does everything in its power to reverse WOL and go back to the status quo. That being said the cutscenes are as usual, awesome, and the mission design is pretty much flawless and enjoyable.

Geez that's a bummer :(
Right about now I'd say "ehh I'll wait for a $10 sale" but blizz games don't drop like that. Gonna have to pass :((((

Mr Cola

Again, you have to do x number in a single mission. So Kinetic Blast 50 times in a single mission, crushing 150, etc. Long and tedious as fuck.

Easiest mission I found to do it was the baneling one, since you have an essentially unlimited amount of time as long as you kill the one "boss" repeatedly.

Oh i mean to say ive done this with the final mission and it still didnt unlock, im at a loss now, i doubled the required number for leap strike and nothing moved.

Might contact support, really want to 100% this like i did wol

Exactly what I thought about it too up there; the missions are excellent, and actually enjoyable for the most parts.

Mr Cola

Geez that's a bummer :(
Right about now I'd say "ehh I'll wait for a $10 sale" but blizz games don't drop like that. Gonna have to pass :((((

I cant lie to you and say the story is anything but bad, but I can say the gameplay more thank makes up for it, and no game beats a sc2 game for achievement hunting on this planet so far as im concerned.

Mr Cola

Exactly what I thought about it too up there; the missions are excellent, and actually enjoyable for the most parts.

I enjoyed WOL missions more but im 100% sure this is because I love the terran arsenal more, I was a terran main in the multiplayer too so this helped. If i were more a zerg fan I would rate this above, its just a matter of which units bring me more pleasure. I will say this though I was astounded and how much mission variety there was, and just how well they introduced you to different mechanics and made usage of creep spread particularly appealing. Upgrade system was improved and refreshing and the single best addition was the master archives which allows you to redo any mission with any possible upgrades you could have had at that point in the game, something WOL never had and made you go through multiple play throughs to be able to experience missions differently.

Mr Cola

Just got to the final campaign mission. Having a blast with it, even though a lot of the missions are repeats of WoL missions. Wish there were fewer "timed" missions though.

Also, the second space mission where you're invading a ship gave me massive slowdown once you get to the bottom and the ship starts shaking. Everything slowed down but the timer to escape. :/ That's going to give me huge problems trying to beat that on brutal.

The last mission is my favourite because it tells you "Heres this big fuck off defense of this structure, go kill it, means your own" which is the best type of mission for me because its so replayable. It also took me about an hour ten minutes on brutal to do, and ive done it 4 more times since.

Mr Cola

Ty for the info regardless

Yeah, i like the starcraft lore/universe and suck at multi-player.

As someone who was receptive to the story in WOL, finding quite a few admirable qualities to it I was very sad to see HOTS go the way it did, and without any subtlety either. It DOES move the story forward, but it spends about 70% of the game getting all the chess pieces back to the start of WOL then the last 30% a mix of revenge and the future.

Schuhu

Neo Member
Legacy of the Void will follow Zeratul as he can single handedly infiltrate any flag ship of the enemy forces (Raynor's Hyperion & Kerrigan's Leviathan). Whole campaign is controlling a single dark templar :X

f0rk

Legacy of the Void will follow Zeratul as he can single handedly infiltrate any flag ship of the enemy forces (Raynor's Hyperion & Kerrigan's Leviathan). Whole campaign is controlling a single dark templar :X

And the transition to the SP becoming Diablo is complete

I enjoyed WOL missions more but im 100% sure this is because I love the terran arsenal more, I was a terran main in the multiplayer too so this helped. If i were more a zerg fan I would rate this above, its just a matter of which units bring me more pleasure. I will say this though I was astounded and how much mission variety there was, and just how well they introduced you to different mechanics and made usage of creep spread particularly appealing. Upgrade system was improved and refreshing and the single best addition was the master archives which allows you to redo any mission with any possible upgrades you could have had at that point in the game, something WOL never had and made you go through multiple play throughs to be able to experience missions differently.

Well said, this is basically all you need to know about WOL-HotS. lol. Love the master archives.
Yeah, it's weird but I'm a terran main but enjoyed Hots missions better.

However, this could be due to a couple things like me having improved as a player, knowing how to tackle the missions smartly and being better planned for less stress, or maybe I'm meant to be zerg player after all :p

Same. And I can say that regardless of the problems I have with the story, the campaign is awesome. Bit shorter and more linear than WoL, but still a lot of fun.
Much more linear indeed. I do think that they've done a good job of streamlining and condensing the general campaign experience, I think simple is best. I hope to see this n the final expansion as well (hopefully with more of the lore elements that we want).

Lucifon

Just finished the campaign, very unimpressed overall. 90% of the missions: here's a base, here's some things which you have to destroy/pick up, you have to do this within a set time otherwise you lose, oh and we're gonna send random waves of enemies at your base every few minutes. Rinse, repeat, snoozefest.

That said 10% of the missions were absolutely superb. Such as
where you control a single zerg unit and spread the infection across the ship, or where you're playing as the Hyperion

Overall felt the variety was severely lacking compared to Wings of Liberty. And that ending...

Here is an unranked replay I just played...
I'm trying to get back after a really long break.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!
Pretty awful now, I couldn't kill this silver toss guy for so long when I've already won the game.
http://drop.sc/310735

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep, this doesn't hold up to the Wings of Liberty campaign whatsoever. I laughed about the WoL campaign a lot, with the silly caricatures and "EY MON LESS GO TO DA JUNGAL PLANET DONCHA KNOW" and all that, but the mission variety was outstanding and I had a great time throughout; the thin justifications didn't bother me.

HotS is so one-dimensional in comparison, with mission elements that feel like thin b-tier gimmicks discarded from the WoL campaign during production. That in conjunction with the writing hitting unfathomable new lows (ESSSEENNNNCEEE x1000 + a love story more contrived than the recent Les Miserable film), I'm not really hit with much of a positive final impression.

It's still a solid product, but despite playing as a different faction it feels redundant.

Just finished the campaign, very unimpressed overall. 90% of the missions: here's a base, here's some things which you have to destroy/pick up, you have to do this within a set time otherwise you lose, oh and we're gonna send random waves of enemies at your base every few minutes. Rinse, repeat, snoozefest.

That said 10% of the missions were absolutely superb. Such as
where you control a single zerg unit and spread the infection across the ship, or where you're playing as the Hyperion

Overall felt the variety was severely lacking compared to Wings of Liberty. And that ending...

Psst... you realize that Starcraft 2 is an RTS right?

Honestly, aside from the fact that the Hyperion mission gave some very much needed personality to the campaign, it was a rather boring mission. The infestation mission was even worse... it was just a move-a, occasionally spam zergling button mission.

mephixto

Banned
My best guess for Legacy of the Void is Fall 2015. Being delayed into Spring 2016 also seems equally likely.

HOTS is gonna get old very quick, is not a new game just an upgrade with a few units and not gonna take the same time to learn new things like WoL. I place my bet on mid 2014 or early 2015

duckroll

I think the infestation mission really didn't live up to its potential, but the Hyperion mission was pretty damn fun. The final "boss" encounter on that mission had a rather interesting scripted attack pattern where you use the teleport ability to dodge the mines before resuming the attack.

I think the biggest issue with the HotS campaign is that even though it has less missions than WoL, it feels so padded at times. What doesn't help is that the campaign is largely designed to really take advantage of the zerg's main play style which is to overwhelm and overrun the enemy. This means after the first 1/3 of the campaign, every single base mission is exactly the same. You build up resources as fast as you can, hit 200 supply, press F2, overrun the objective(s). I don't even think that's a remote exaggeration.

Because of that, I really like the missions which are NOT base missions. Unfortunately that gets less frequent towards the end of the game, and it starts to feel really repetitive. I'm in the final chapter of the game now, and it feels like the last bunch of missions have been more or less all the same.

antitrop

HOTS is gonna get old very quick, is not a new game just an upgrade with a few units and not gonna take the same time to learn new things like WoL. I place my bet on mid 2014 or early 2015
Setting yourself up for disappointment.
2014 is absurd.

It's not like Blizzard chose to release Heart of the Swarm 3 years after Wings of Liberty because they thought that was the proper amount of time in between games, they released it 3 years after because it took them 3 years to make the game.

Setting yourself up for disappointment.
2014 is absurd.

It's not like Blizzard chose to release Heart of the Swarm 3 years after Wings of Liberty because they thought that was the proper amount of time in between games, they released it 3 years after because it took them 3 years to make the game.

It's amazing how many times they reworked the expansion in that time... Also, it feels like they padded out the mission length near the end, and everything involving
stukov
feels rushed, tacked on, and out of place.

(edit) The entire zerg campaign just feels like less than a month before release they realized they needed to pad the game out a bit, thats why we got evolution missions (which are supposed to show off the evolutions, but really just feel like a 10 minute long chore to pick what you want) and
Stukov
's mini story.

None of the choices from the previous save actually matter, right? At the end of the second mission, I can already tell that it's taking all the decisions from the latest save, which, in my case, are all terrible.

Thanks for sharing! I'll try and check it out tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks again profit!

Yep, this doesn't hold up to the Wings of Liberty campaign whatsoever. I laughed about the WoL campaign a lot, with the silly caricatures and "EY MON LESS GO TO DA JUNGAL PLANET DONCHA KNOW" and all that, but the mission variety was outstanding and I had a great time throughout; the thin justifications didn't bother me.

HotS is so one-dimensional in comparison, with mission elements that feel like thin b-tier gimmicks discarded from the WoL campaign during production. That in conjunction with the writing hitting unfathomable new lows (ESSSEENNNNCEEE x1000 + a love story more contrived than the recent Les Miserable film), I'm not really hit with much of a positive final impression.

It's still a solid product, but despite playing as a different faction it feels redundant.
Yeah, about the only part that fascinated me was the
origin of Zerg, the ancient Zerg (but even this, as you mentioned, was devalued by the one-armed essence deprived guy lol) apart from that, there was really nothing substantial to add to the world. Their writing very much failed to tie in these different things to one objective (to kill Mengsk and to bring back the swarm?). Why is there need for the thick Russian accent general to come back from the dead? More than a few times, I've stopped and laughed at the lot of the crew they've gathered up inside the ship. It's just dripping with low quality writing.

Also, I do agree that F2 somehow made this MUCH easier.

Won

I was just thinking about how fucking long it takes for Blizzard to release games, and goddamn, Starcraft 2 really is a game which spans this entire generation, and more. Lol.

??? 2003 - Starcraft 2 starts development at Blizzard
Nov 2005 - Xbox360 is released to the market
Nov 2006 - Playstation 3 is released to the market
End 2006 - Starcraft 2 multiplayer engine functional
May 2007 - Starcraft 2 is officially announced
Jul 2010 - Wings of Liberty is released to the market
Mar 2013 - Heart of the Swarm is released to the market
??? 2013 - Playstation 4 will be released to the market
??? 2013 - Next Xbox will be released to the market
???????? - Legacy of the Void will be released to the market

I still can remember playing it in 2007 and being all excited about how finished it felt and thought it's gonna be released soon.

And then it took them 3 more years......

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I bet a good chunk of Legacy of the Void is going to involve flashbacks of what Zeratul has been doing between SC1 and LotV. That means all the shit he was doing in WoL and in HotS. It'll be infodumps up the whazoo.

duckroll

I bet a good chunk of Legacy of the Void is going to involve flashbacks of what Zeratul has been doing between SC1 and LotV. That means all the shit he was doing in WoL and in HotS. It'll be infodumps up the whazoo.

I don't expect that. I think it's just going to start after HotS, with Zeratul returning to his people for "judgement" only to become the reluctant leader who must unite a divided Protoss race, and rally all the factions together so they can join forces with the Terran combined forces under Raynor and Valerian, and the combined Zerg swarm under Kerrigan, and then everyone can go into the void to FINISH THE FIGHT.

f0rk

I don't expect that. I think it's just going to start after HotS, with Zeratul returning to his people for "judgement" only to become the reluctant leader who must unite a divided Protoss race, and rally all the factions together so they can join forces with the Terran combined forces under Raynor and Valerian, and the combined Zerg swarm under Kerrigan, and then everyone can go into the void to FINISH THE FIGHT.

*3 CAPITAL SHIPS LINE UP IN FRONT OF BLACK SPACE*
"Are you guys ready?"
"I WAS BORN READY DARLIN'"

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I'm hoping this is the case. Just throwing something that Blizzard could possibly do. Given that the next campaign will also probably be 20 missions I hope they don't dilly dally. Seriously.

duckroll

I'm hoping this is the case. Just throwing something that Blizzard could possibly do. Given that the next campaign will also probably be 20 missions I hope they don't dilly dally. Seriously.

Maybe by the time LotV comes out, it'll only be 15 missions. Lol.

Top Bottom