• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just ordered my copy. I'm fucking pumped man. Especially now with this sexy ass mechanical keyboard I picked up the other day.

Aylinato

Just ordered my copy. I'm fucking pumped man. Especially now with this sexy ass mechanical keyboard I picked up the other day.

You better play with us again. Team games bro. Widow mines flown in with medivacs(I've killed roughly 100 workers in 3 games with them)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You better play with us again. Team games bro. Widow mines flown in with medivacs(I've killed roughly 100 workers in 3 games with them)

Yea I should be back in full swing. And wtf, I thought you were a Protoss. You fucking switched? lol

farnham

Banned
It's amazing how many times they reworked the expansion in that time... Also, it feels like they padded out the mission length near the end, and everything involving
stukov
feels rushed, tacked on, and out of place.

(edit) The entire zerg campaign just feels like less than a month before release they realized they needed to pad the game out a bit, thats why we got evolution missions (which are supposed to show off the evolutions, but really just feel like a 10 minute long chore to pick what you want) and
Stukov
's mini story.

Well the
stukov
thing existed in the n64 game

TheExodu5

Banned
Ugh...got level 70 in the game but it didn't give me my achievement. Please don't tell me I need to replay through the entire campaign to get it.

farnham

Banned
I don't expect that. I think it's just going to start after HotS, with Zeratul returning to his people for "judgement" only to become the reluctant leader who must unite a divided Protoss race, and rally all the factions together so they can join forces with the Terran combined forces under Raynor and Valerian, and the combined Zerg swarm under Kerrigan, and then everyone can go into the void to FINISH THE FIGHT.

Shouldnt the commander of the unified protoss be artanis?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Ugh...got level 70 in the game but it didn't give me my achievement. Please don't tell me I need to replay through the entire campaign to get it.

Happened to me too. I was lvl 69 going to last mission so I got the last upgrade I was missing so I was level 70 before going into last mission and no achievement :/

Compared to Wings of Liberty which took me nearly 2 years to complete, I find myself blowing right through Heart of the Swarm. I'm on that last leg already.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So I'm installing the first SC2 fir the first time in years on a new system before I install the expansion. Does this thing really have more updates than a clean copy of Windows XP RTM? It seems like it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Damn, I thought I'd be free once I finished the campaign, but now I'm going back and getting achievements and playing at higher difficulties. Noooooo

Next thing you know you will play a bit of multiplayer!

...then 2 years later you are still playing wondering what have you done :eek:

Zzoram

Happened to me too. I was lvl 69 going to last mission so I got the last upgrade I was missing so I was level 70 before going into last mission and no achievement :/

Has anyone figured out the conditions required to unlock that achievement? So many people didn't get it.

jschreier

*3 CAPITAL SHIPS LINE UP IN FRONT OF BLACK SPACE*
"Are you guys ready?"
"I WAS BORN READY DARLIN'"

KERRIGAN: It's too late for me, Jim. Go... you have to save yourself.

RAYNOR: Don't you die on me now.

KERRIGAN: I don't... I don't think I can make it.

RAYNOR: You already have, Sarah. You already have.

Zzoram

Why do zergs respond to reapers by making tons of useless lings when they could make a spine crawler for much less cost instead that is actually able to hit reapers?

FStop7

Banned
I don't get why they went with "essence"...

Why not just say "DNA" or "genes"?

Zerg deconstruct other life forms and can integrate favorable characteristics. They're organic Borg.

I know I shouldn't waste time picking apart Blizz writing but their games deserve better, it's so weak next to the artwork and music.

Zzoram

I don't get why they went with "essence"...

Why not just say "DNA" or "genes"?

Zerg deconstruct other life forms and can integrate favorable characteristics. They're organic Borg.

I know I shouldn't waste time picking apart Blizz writing but their games deserve better, it's so weak next to the artwork and music.

1) Metzen
2) Maybe they want the Zerg to sound spiritual

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just got the sudden urge to play again. I hadn't booted up Starcraft II since early 2011, so I had a decent amount to patch.

Goddamn, they changed the front interface a lot! I see that they made initial gatherers begin mining automatically? That's neat!

Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up Heart of the Swarm. I loved the WoL campaign, so I hope it's even half as good.

By the way, are 16:10 aspect ratios still gimped compared to 16:9 in terms of how much gets displayed on screen?

profit

Ugh, first game of the day and I have to hold off a proxy marauder; something I have never had to hold....
I won but I did a crappy job doing it, panicked way too hard, supply blocks and not enough scv's in gas. Oh well, its another experience!

Replay: http://drop.sc/310838

GC|Simon

I just wanted to start my HotS day with the campaign. But the third mission won't load. Guess I'll wait for a patch and play multiplayer instead...

Shmowzow!

Banned
Anyone else experiencing performance issues (fps drops and audio loops) and loading screen freezes? Seems to be quite a common problem if you look at the SC2 forums

smr00

Banned
I was just thinking about how fucking long it takes for Blizzard to release games, and goddamn, Starcraft 2 really is a game which spans this entire generation, and more. Lol.

??? 2003 - Starcraft 2 starts development at Blizzard
Nov 2005 - Xbox360 is released to the market
Nov 2006 - Playstation 3 is released to the market
End 2006 - Starcraft 2 multiplayer engine functional
May 2007 - Starcraft 2 is officially announced
Jul 2010 - Wings of Liberty is released to the market
Mar 2013 - Heart of the Swarm is released to the market
??? 2013 - Playstation 4 will be released to the market
??? 2013 - Next Xbox will be released to the market
???????? - Legacy of the Void will be released to the market
Quality over quantity etc etc.

But yeah it does take them forever and i am still pissed that Starcraft: Ghost never released.. Capture the Command Center? Fucking ah'mazing.

Moff

I'd rather have 10 quality missions with excellent storytelling and fun rather than 20 missions of crap story and good gameplay.

Uh no, not at all.
with only 10 missions, I would not have been able to call HotS a decent addon, not with the greatest story of all time. gameplay is what made sc2's campaign the best in rts history, not its story.

on the other hand, I would have welcomed 30 missions in HotS, maybe with terran or protoss mini-campaaign, even with an even worse story, I would have called it an amazing addon. the lack of scope and detail is what makes HotS underwhelming compared toWoTL, certainly not its story.

I just ordered WoF and the HOTS CE last night. Wished I would've kept my reserve for the CE of WOF back when I worked at GS but nevertheless, I will be finally playing Starcraft this weekend! Sadly, I have too much schoolwork (last semester before graduating!) and reg. work (student teaching) this week to actually play before then.

Probably nearing the end of the campaign. Been pretty disappointed with it overall. Doesn't feel as robust as Wings of Liberty, the missions in WoL felt like each one was teaching me an interesting technique but these ones are so hit and miss. There have been some highlights for sure but the consistency is way off. As for the interludes, well they're just B-movie trash. At least WoL's had something endearing about the characters. I think the Dota inspired sequences devalue the campaign.

I hope the Protoss expansion is a lot better, they seem like an interesting race but they're going to have to offer more value than HotS for me to buy it even at the marginally reduced expansion pack price.

Probably nearing the end of the campaign. Been pretty disappointed with it overall. Doesn't feel as robust as Wings of Liberty, the missions in WoL felt like each one was teaching me an interesting technique but these ones are so hit and miss. There have been some highlights for sure but the consistency is way off. As for the interludes, well they're just B-movie trash. At least WoL's had something endearing about the characters. I think the Dota inspired sequences devalue the campaign.

I hope the Protoss expansion is a lot better, they seem like an interesting race but they're going to have to offer more value than HotS for me to buy it even at the marginally reduced expansion pack price.

If you care about online it is basically a requirement to buy it. Sure you can still continue playing the old online but it will be dead in comparison.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hohoho oh boy, some Protoss player tried to cannon rush me. It succeeded but I managed to fly away and I had a proxy factory pumping out widow mines killing his probes off. Man that was intense

Man, since MLG started I've been trying to pull new builds from pros. But I've had no luck with anything that looks solid.

Hohoho oh boy, some Protoss player tried to cannon rush me. It succeeded but I managed to fly away and I had a proxy factory pumping out widow mines killing his probes off. Man that was intense

Cannon rushing a Terran is a pretty bad idea for that reason alone, lolol.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone else having their Kerrigan achievement progress locked for some reason? Both the Leaping Strike and Crushing Grip achievements isn't progressing for me :(...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You have to do them all in one level I believe.
Hmm, I don't think so. The achievements that do require that I do them in one level says that in the description. Example:

- Use a Leviathan to kill 25 enemy units or structures in a single mission.
- Deal 15,000 damage with Leaping Strike.

Zzoram

Not really. I could just wait until it goes on sale to a price I think is more reasonable.

Ya you could.

SC2's MSRP is now $40 (was $60 at launch) and it's dropped to $20 during the weeks leading to HotS. I think it was $20 or $30 on Black Friday too.

HotS will go on sale maybe Black Friday and when LotV come out.

J2d

Hmm, I don't think so. The achievements that do require that I do them in one level says that in the description. Example:

- Use a Leviathan to kill 25 enemy units or structures in a single mission.
- Deal 15,000 damage with Leaping Strike.
I had to do the psyonic thingy in one level despite it not saying I had to do it in one in the description if I remember correctly. At work so I can't check. The fact that some achievements shows progression threw me off.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Anyone else having their Kerrigan achievement progress locked for some reason? Both the Leaping Strike and Crushing Grip achievements isn't progressing for me :(...

Yoshi, how are you liking Hots? As someone who never touches the MP of RTS games, I was somewhat entertained by the SP campaign ( disregarding the laughable story and narrative of course ) in WOL, how's that part of Hots?

Yoshichan

I had to do the psyonic thingy in one level despite it not saying I had to do it in one in the description if I remember correctly. At work so I can't check. The fact that some achievements shows progression threw me off.
Okay man, keep me updated!

Top Bottom