• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi, how are you liking Hots? As someone who never touches the MP of RTS games, I was somewhat entertained by the SP campaign ( disregarding the laughable story and narrative of course ) in WOL, how's that part of Hots?
I hate to bring out the "boring" answer, but it really is too early to tell. I absolutely hated WoL near its end-cycle so HotS feels sooo refreshing. Having played 1600 HotS games in the beta, I can definitely say that it's gonna be fantastic seeing competetive players destroy each others with all the new builds.
Maybe if you come to NA the achievements will work
ohyou.jpg :3

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I hate to bring out the "boring" answer, but it really is too early to tell. I absolutely hated WoL near its end-cycle so HotS feels sooo refreshing. Having played 1600 HotS games in the beta, I can definitely say that it's gonna be fantastic seeing competetive players destroy each others with all the new builds.

Well damn, boring answer or not that did pique my interest.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well damn, boring answer or not that did pique my interest.
That's awesome! Hook me up with a PM if you ever decide to go online :D!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Got into Diamond in WoL, did placements in HotS and got put in Gold. Feels bad, man. :(

f0rk

I get ladder anxiety and meant to play online this weekend but MLG has distracted me. Will try and start tomorrow.

Won

Well finished the campaign. That went over quickly. I will give the game the benefit of the doubt here and say that's because I was entertained and not because I wanted to get over with it.

Not too bad of a campaign. I think I liked it better than WoL. A-moving Zerg does that I guess.
That said I have the feeling this campaign will be even more forgettable than WoL.

No comments on the story. Someone probably got paid for this, life is unfair, blablabla.

Yuripaw

Banned
Hey guys, maybe you can help me decide on something. Im in best buy right now with a CE for heart of the swarm. Is it worth picking up at all? Cant decide.

Yoshichan

Hey guys, maybe you can help me decide on something. Im in best buy right now with a CE for heart of the swarm. Is it worth picking up at all? Cant decide.
It's like any typical Blizzard CE (WoW, WoL, D3) if you bought any of those. They're decent.

edit: The Making Of-disc is dvd/blu-ray, that's pretty cool.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Whoever made new skins for units a perk of paying for a CE...scummy. I like goods that actually reflect the actual money you paid for. Almost jumped on for the zerg rush mousepad but that was the only thing that interested me.

Yuripaw

Banned
It's like any typical Blizzard CE (WoW, WoL, D3) if you bought any of those. They're decent.

edit: The Making Of-disc is dvd/blu-ray, that's pretty cool.
I managed to get a cataclysm ce which i thought was kinda cool, but thats the only blizzard one i have. Always wished i couldve gotten wings of liberty, so that when heart of the swarm came out, id be working on the set, but i dont have the first now, so i dunno :/

If you loved the Blizz extras in their other CE's then get it. Otherwise the game itself is just fine. I usually just buy the game.

Yoshichan

I managed to get a cataclysm ce which i thought was kinda cool, but thats the only blizzard one i have. Always wished i couldve gotten wings of liberty, so that when heart of the swarm came out, id be working on the set, but i dont have the first now, so i dunno :/
You can definitely find it cheap on Ebay, if you really want it :)

frontovik

Banned
The only worthwhile goody in a Blizzard CE is the artbook.

However, HotS' CE is extremely overpriced, as half the goodies are digital content.

Figured the Protoss in here would want this too.

Build order for MC's PvT build.

9 pylon
3 chrono nexus
13 gate
14 gas
15 gas
16 pylon
18 cyber /scout
pylon
stalker/warpgate
Mothership core
stalker
2x cb on gate per stalker
Stargate

It's rough but I pulled it from MC's MLG games. you go into 2-3 oracle with a phoenix followup depending on if they are going triple rax or early factory.

profit

Figured the Protoss in here would want this too.

Build order for MC's PvT build.

9 pylon
3 chrono nexus
13 gate
14 gas
15 gas
16 pylon
18 cyber /scout
pylon
stalker/warpgate
Mothership core
stalker
2x cb on gate per stalker
Stargate

It's rough but I pulled it from MC's MLG games. you go into 2-3 oracle with a phoenix followup depending on if they are going triple rax or early factory.
No EJ! Stop spreading the knowledge!

Tiamant

Is anyone else experiencing graphic issues and fps drops in hots? My pc ran WoL on high setting perfectly fine, now I'm playing on medium at 30 fps and 15 fps during big battles, it sucks :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is anyone else experiencing graphic issues and fps drops in hots? My pc ran WoL on high setting perfectly fine, now I'm playing on medium at 30 fps and 15 fps during big battles, it sucks :(

Check if some of the graphical settings are changed. I know they upped certain settings so you might not be able to run on high anymore.

The only worthwhile goody in a Blizzard CE is the artbook.

However, HotS' CE is extremely overpriced, as half the goodies are digital content.

HotS CE is a bit lackluster for the price, though I haven't looked at everything yet (never check the art books or behind the scenes DVDs until I'm done with campaign). However, I had to have it to match my WoL one. Probably a pass if I didn't need it for that. To be fair, I paid for it with $50 worth of Amazon credit I had as gifts, so the financial sting wasn't so much.

Mists has been the only Blizzard CE I've passed on since 2010 though. Extras were lackluster, especially coming off the weak end of Cataclysm (so I didn't know how much I'd be playing.)

Tiamant

Check if some of the graphical settings are changed. I know they upped certain settings so you might not be able to run on high anymore.

I did this and the performance improved a bit (still bad compared to WoL) but every few seconds the game freezes a bit, it's almost unnoticiable but gets very annoying with it every 20 seconds. Also the fps thing seems inconsistent, at the beggining of a game it says its running at 29 fps but then when there are more objects on screen it shows 59 fps :/

Yoshichan

Just beat it for the fourth time... I really can't get enough of this :lol It's just an insane pacing when you skip the cutscenes.

munroe

I did this and the performance improved a bit (still bad compared to WoL) but every few seconds the game freezes a bit, it's almost unnoticiable but gets very annoying with it every 20 seconds. Also the fps thing seems inconsistent, at the beggining of a game it says its running at 29 fps but then when there are more objects on screen it shows 59 fps :/

Yeah, same thing happens to me, as a match progresses the number of resource stalls increases, any way to decrease this amount?

Yoshichan

I just checked the smoking corpses achievement and while it doesn't say it has to be done in one stage I still had to do it in just one so it is safe to say that more or all achievements have this requirement.
Got the achievements! Thanks man :3

Can someone explain the MMR for unranked matches for me?

I messed around for about 10 matches in unranked(lost most, even dropped one), and now I'm 2 matches into ranked, but the first 2 opponents were bronze.
Coincidence?

Son1x

Can someone explain the MMR for unranked matches for me?

I messed around for about 10 matches in unranked(lost most, even dropped one), and now I'm 2 matches into ranked, but the first 2 opponents were bronze.
Coincidence?

I think if you played one but not other, you'll be placed with what you played on that other. So for example a platinum ranked player plays unraked, he will be matches up with platinums. Or at least thats how I think it works.

BearPawB

Banned
Bought it today. Really enjoyed what I played of the campaign. I get what people mean about the dialog. But the missions are really fun.

I am not sure if I will ever get over my fear of playing online in this game.
I am not good at all. As soon as I have to start a second base it all falls apart. I am REALLY bad. And will probably never be good.

I would love to play online, but i really don't want to get my ass kicked.

Checked my WoL stats...played 22 games, won 4 :(

And i have watched a lot of matches, i have been to two mlgs. I know how it is supposed to look! that is the worst part...

Bought it today. Really enjoyed what I played of the campaign. I get what people mean about the dialog. But the missions are really fun.

I am not good at all. As soon as I have to start a second base it all falls apart. I am REALLY bad. And will probably never be good.

You have to practice just like any other competitive game. I recommend doing all 3 stages of training mode than doing about 10 or so versus AI matchmaking games.

Once you do that you should be ready to do some ranked/unranked. Also you should try to remember teamgames are fun too. If anyone wants to be mean to you just leave, no point in playing with angry kids.

jersoc

And i have watched a lot of matches, i have been to two mlgs. I know how it is supposed to look! that is the worst part...

playing online isn't so bad. the first 5 matches will be placements. so you'll either win by a lot or lose by a lot while the system figures out where you belong. just type gg and leave the game when you feel lost. then watch the replay to see what the other guy did better than you, then you copy it.

at the start, just focus on macro and keeping your minerals as low as possible.

run the training missions too. they'll give you a feel of the game in MP. then you can just practice against ai as well.

Aylinato

playing online isn't so bad. the first 5 matches will be placements. so you'll either win by a lot or lose by a lot while the system figures out where you belong. just type gg and leave the game when you feel lost. then watch the replay to see what the other guy did better than you, then you copy it.

at the start, just focus on macro and keeping your minerals as low as possible.

run the training missions too. they'll give you a feel of the game in MP. then you can just practice against ai as well.

The training missions were pretty fun actually. Not too bad, although slightly slow for my liking, but they have me a different build order for each race, so it didn't hurt to have in the game.

Really enjoying multiplayer again. Oracle is a fun unit, Mothership Core seems really complicated; haven't yet tried the Tempest. Seems a bit weird that all the new protoss units are air units.

Widow mines are really fun units too. I'm liking the stuff that sort of encourages spreading shit out over the map.

I got put in 2v2 Gold with a friend, we're both so out of practice.

fatty

Finally got around to watching some replays!!

Profit's replays HoTS edition!

A new expansion a new chance to improve myself and all of you can help!
For the people that have the time, I'll upload my replay and if you want you can watch and comment on it! Every bit of advice helps, no matter what skill you have in the game!

http://drop.sc/310031

Not going to comment too much about this one, I'm pretty rusty been a few weeks since I last played a competitive game and I was shaking at the end of it.
Only thing I will say BUILD ADDITIONAL SUPPLY DEPOTS PROFIT!

Oh btw, I encourage all of you to do the exact same thing I'm doing, especially you people who are afraid of laddering but still want to improve; uploading my replays to GAF has helped me tons and keeps me motivated even when I lose. It's fun when you learn stuff!

I have to say, nice job of keeping your workers cranking out. After that first engagement, I thought you were behind but you were able to keep cranking out production and getting your third saturated. Though I will say, as a zerg I always try to keep a spore colony at each base for detection, and so my opponent won't see me leaving my base. He had that observer at your natural for most of the game, so he was always aware when your army left. Those pesky protoss and their sneaky observers...

For anyone who is bored during the hour maintenance.

Here are my last two 1v1 ladder games. (Replay files)

Both PvZ
http://drop.sc/310084
http://drop.sc/310083

You can watch both of them in offline mode.

Both are
+1 pressure timings with a 3rd behind it and then some sort of tech. Sadly both end up dying to pressure.

As a zerg I hate what you do at the beginning of the game, lol. Block my natural as long as possible with a probe and at the last second throw down a pylon and back out of there. And then right before the pylon warps in you cancel. And then hitting that timing with your scout to see his third right before it is done. Nice job.

I was gritting my teeth watching this one because I felt for that zerg. Didn't help that you followed it up with DTs.

----

I would encourage people to post more replays as well. Helps me learn some things. I will post some when I get around to playing some 1v1. Being playing 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 with others who just bought HOTS. That and played the campaign. One nitpick I have about the single player so far, I don't like that they count the tiny "evolution missions" as a mission. Those are so short and basically just show you how the unit works. Besides that and of course the cheesy story that I don't mind as much (my expectations were already pretty low), I'm really enjoying the campaign.

jersoc

The training missions were pretty fun actually. Not too bad, although slightly slow for my liking, but they have me a different build order for each race, so it didn't hurt to have in the game.

yeah, i'm pretty sure it's on easy AI. a nice over view though. was great as a refreshers since I haven't played in like a year.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
yeah, i'm pretty sure it's on easy AI. a nice over view though. was great as a refreshers since I haven't played in like a year.

It progresses on each level of the training if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if it's Easy>Medium>Hard or Very Easy>Easy>Medium though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh

i imagine your mind is just mechanically geared the wrong way. it can be undone, but requires starting from scratch.

pick your most familiar one base strategy, the one you can do without thinking about it. this is the key part: start cycling your attention. when you are performing an action, immediately cycle your mind on to something else that you should be doing - it's a little uncomfortable at first, akin to speed reading, but eventually you'll effortlessly surf between actions, performing the motor requirements of one while already mentally moving on to the next.

instead of thinking about what you are doing, think about what you aren't. it's a very different discipline to the kind of focused concentration required of 99% of video games.

this is a nice little exercise: http://games.jlbn.net/playgame.php?getgame=3295&width=944&height=927 always focus on your next click, and let your hand take care of the present on its own. it'll seem like you're doing things really quickly, but you're just creating a more efficient pipeline.

FStop7

Banned
I keep getting ladder matches vs. people who are so far beyond me. First a Gold, then a Masters, then a Plat. Stop it, HoTS. Just give me silvers or high bronzes.

i imagine your mind is just mechanically geared the wrong way. it can be undone, but requires starting from scratch.

pick your most familiar one base strategy, the one you can do without thinking about it. this is the key part: start cycling your attention. when you are performing an action, immediately cycle your mind on to something else that you should be doing - it's a little uncomfortable at first, akin to speed reading, but eventually you'll effortlessly surf between actions, performing the motor requirements of one while already mentally moving on to the next.

instead of thinking about what you are doing, think about what you aren't. it's a very different discipline to the kind of focused concentration required of 99% of video games.

this is a nice little exercise: http://games.jlbn.net/playgame.php?getgame=3295&width=944&height=927 always focus on your next click, and let your hand take care of the present on its own. it'll seem like you're doing things really quickly, but you're just creating a more efficient pipeline.

Haha, this is a great description.

A lot of playing Starcraft (& RTS) is about 'doing lots of little chores constantly'. It sounds painful and it is, but there's a great flow to it once you have even a small amount of mastery.

Keikaku

I keep getting ladder matches vs. people who are so far beyond me. First a Gold, then a Masters, then a Plat. Stop it, HoTS. Just give me silvers or high bronzes.
I had a former ZENEX member as my 4th placement on the Korean server. I think I "win" the OP Opponent E-Peen Contest :p

Top Bottom