• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Aylinato

Really enjoying the single player game. In no rush to finish it and making sure I do all the achievements per mission before moving to the next. This has help me to improve my APM and macro/micro better.

I'm going to go for achievements tonight from all the missions, on normal first, then I'll be replaying on hard for those achievements

mercviper

Been trying to get achievements by only playing brutal. Rendezvous is so hard to destroy all the buildings in 15 minutes. I'll probably give it another day before throwing in the towel and doing it on Hard difficulty. And then reneging and trying to do it on Brutal some more. whydoidothistomyself

Aylinato

Been trying to get achievements by only playing brutal. Rendezvous is so hard to destroy all the buildings in 15 minutes. I'll probably give it another day before throwing in the towel and doing it on Hard difficulty. And then reneging and trying to do it on Brutal some more. whydoidothistomyself

yea, some of those I doubt I want to do on brutal lol

FStop7

Banned
Are most of you who play a lot of multi just using a regular old 3 button mouse? I was thinking about getting one with a couple of more programmable buttons but I don't know how useful it'd really be.

Aylinato

Are most of you who play a lot of multi just using a regular old 3 button mouse? I was thinking about getting one with a couple of more programmable buttons but I don't know how useful it'd really be.

they are helpful for spells and such.

Btw just watched cella have to hold off a terran for like 30 minutes because he wouldnt GG when he had nothing left vs ultralisks

I've decided I'm going to get a barcraft going. I've wanted to do it for a while now, and with HOTS launching I really want to get it done. I have Dreamhack Stockholm or MLG Anaheim to aim for. I'm from Buffalo, NY.

smr00

Banned
I like this game, but I'm pretty tired of getting decimated in Ranked (bronze at that). I was never all that great (but in WoL I could at least win 30-40% of the time), but 9 times out of 10 when I look at someones profile after the game, they were gold or higher last season. Wtf is that shit? It's a waste of time for both players. Unranked is a completely mixed bag right now. I thought the change of the bronze pool to 8% would've made it pretty easy. The only thing I can thing of is the majority of people who have already picked up HotS are veteran players, and I'm just getting destroyed while they do their placements. Either way, this sucks.
People say the matchmaking in SC2 is one of the best but it continues to place me against people 5x better then me. I don't belong in platinum and i don't know why it keeps putting me against platinum/diamond players. I am high silver at fucking best.

Match making in this game is bullhockey. I have been horribly stomped the last 10 1v1s and i don't understand why their "great" matchmaking hasn't demoted me. I don't mind losing to people who are on my level or a little better then me but it's not fun to play a game where i am put against people who are insanely better, that's just stupid. It does this shit in 2v2/3v3/4v4 as well. I will lose 3-4 of my placement matches it and it fucking throws me in platinum.

Blizzard, do you have some grudge against me? I shouldn't be placed in platinum if i lose 3-4 of my placements, i continue to lose yet you keep pitting me against people who are far, far, far better than me.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
People say the matchmaking in SC2 is one of the best but it continues to place me against people 5x better then me. I don't belong in platinum and i don't know why it keeps putting me against platinum/diamond players. I am high silver at fucking best.

Match making in this game is bullhockey. I have been horribly stomped the last 10 1v1s and i don't understand why their "great" matchmaking hasn't demoted me. I don't mind losing to people who are on my level or a little better then me but it's not fun to play a game where i am put against people who are insanely better, that's just stupid. It does this shit in 2v2/3v3/4v4 as well. I will lose 3-4 of my placement matches it and it fucking throws me in platinum.

Blizzard, do you have some grudge against me? I shouldn't be placed in platinum if i lose 3-4 of my placements, i continue to lose yet you keep pitting me against people who are far, far, far better than me.

Give it some time, the game has been out for a week. The MMR was reset for HotS. Blizzard matchmaking system begins thriving after a month or two worth of data. The system is still trying to peg you and everyone else in a certain spot, and there is a ton of touch and feel.

Give it some time, the game has been out for a week. The MMR was reset for HotS. Blizzard matchmaking system begins thriving after a month or two worth of data. The system is still trying to peg you and everyone else in a certain spot, and there is a ton of touch and feel.

This is exactly it.

smr00

Banned
It was doing the same thing in WOL.

When and how many games did you play in WoL? Also why not look into how you an win the games you lost instead of just saying they're too hard for you?

You already have it in your mind that your opponents are 5x better than you (they're not), that's probably why you lost 10 games in a row.

On the other hand my friend and I had a bad run of matches and got put in 2v2 bronze yet every bronze game we played that night I swear were diamond+ level players, no business anywhere near bronze. Then last night we played and we're stomping everyone, so yeah I think it's just going to take time for everyone to end up where they are supposed to be

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
- We'll continue watching all the pro and community concerns, but keep in mind we'd really like the game to settle before we step in and make a move.
Someone probably hacked David Kims account.

StMeph

Completed the HotS campaign on Brutal a couple of days ago. That gave me the impetus to go and try to clear WoL again. Still nope. HotS is definitely way way easier than WoL, because I still haven't finished All In.

Also, what's up with the cinematics? Only the opening and ending scenes were in any respectable resolution. All of the ones in between were horribly compressed; that was not the case in WoL.

HappyHunting

Neo Member

How often did you play ? Even deep in a season if you don't have enough data points (games played) the system will still look to find your place. Don't forget that as a season goes on the MMR borders of each league shift.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How to you kill 15 enemies on Hard with a Giant Ursadon?
You can do it with the two you can control, both of them counts towards the achievement :3

Blinck

Hnnnnnggg I want to order this on Amazon but I'm so tempted to just get this right now through battle-net !!

What is the general consensus on the campaign? I don't really care much for the story, just the mission design and such.

Also a quick question: When I played the beta ( I'm on EU ), no matter if I played online or against the A.I. I always got like a half second lag (my internet is pretty fast - 60mb ), so it was basically unplayable. Anyone else had this problem during the beta? If so, has it been resolved in the release?

Cheers !

KaYotiX

Banned
Hnnnnnggg I want to order this on Amazon but I'm so tempted to just get this right now through battle-net !!

What is the general consensus on the campaign? I don't really care much for the story, just the mission design and such.

Also a quick question: When I played the beta ( I'm on EU ), no matter if I played online or against the A.I. I always got like a half second lag, so it was basically unplayable. Anyone else had this problem during the beta? If so, has it been resolved in the release?

Cheers !

The mission design is pretty damn good imo, it varies a lot of stuff up so its not just build a base, mass units and win. It also doesn't feel boring, I was up till 5am playing the campaign because I didn't want to stop :p

Tiamant

Completed the HotS campaign on Brutal a couple of days ago. That gave me the impetus to go and try to clear WoL again. Still nope. HotS is definitely way way easier than WoL, because I still haven't finished All In.

Also, what's up with the cinematics? Only the opening and ending scenes were in any respectable resolution. All of the ones in between were horribly compressed; that was not the case in WoL.

Pick up the tower that slows down zerg and planetary fortress, give up the right and left wall and make a barrier of pf's with LOADS of tanks in the back. Make a big marine ball to snipe down Kerrigan. If you want you can make banshees to snipe down some nydus.

Easiest way for me to do that in brutal, and since I'm a masochist I did the "don't use the artifact once" achievement in the same run.

- The super aggressive play is turning out to be really fun to watch.
- Nobody is close to figuring the game out yet.
- We'll try our best to not be too quick to make judgments on things that are allowing players to play a much more aggressive game.
- We'll continue watching all the pro and community concerns, but keep in mind we'd really like the game to settle before we step in and make a move.

David Kim is not a total fraud !

I think... I think I'm gonna cry...

Tiamant

Btw does anyone know if there's a Hots monobattle map out there? It's a pretty popular map so I figured it'd be already done but... :/

HappyHunting

Neo Member
David Kim is not a total fraud !

I think... I think I'm gonna cry...

Not sure what they were going for in WoL and I am not entirely sure they did either.

I know HotS is still new but keeping aggression play promotes fractured combat which is awesome to watch as a spectator, and as a player if I could do what I saw this weekend I would feel damn proud.

profit

http://drop.sc/311069 - TvP Daybreak [Diamond]

Hello!

This was a very fresh TvP I just played on Daybreak, so excuse any lingering rage/anger that may seep into this description. It was a fairly standard game, he defended my drops well and easily, I didn't really do anything with them. Nevertheless we kind of stabilized and maxed out.

Here is where it got bad, you'll see multiple engagements in the late game where we just sort of clash, and I have no idea what to remax on. Is he getting 2x colossi? Templar? Pure Zealot Archon and rushing me? I feel like I have to have 50 of each production building to combat just 2 robos and infinity gateways. Another problem I have is landing good EMPs. The only time I've landed 'sick EMPs' is when a protoss doesn't have an observer and I can sneak in with 6 ghosts and blanket everything. This guy really loves his obs and he catches my ghosts out almost every time, which means I have a tough time EMPing his templar.

Anyway, would love some feedback :)|) on the game. Please don't be too critical as this is just Diamond.

edit: also I really liked his oracle usage.

Allright, got around to watching it!

First of all, you could have won that game pretty early imo.
Here are some things I noted:

- I think the Oracle needs be engaged with 5 marines (?) I'm not too sure myself but when his oracle came in you got 3, thats too few, the oracle will slaughter them.

- At 10 minutes you only had about 31 scv's and that is waaaay to few

- At the same time the Toss was floating tons of minerals, if you just had kept your macro up you would just roll over his base when you started your aggression at 10 minutes

- That engagement at his natural; you had the game won there. You killed his army, his last collosi was almost dead but you just had to pull back from the photon overcharge, that killed your army during the fight

- At 16 minutes you finally got around to 50 SCV's, the Toss was at 75 probes

- You kept your upgrades flowing nicely, that was really good

- After every engagemnt you were ahead in supply, your opponent was floating tons of minnerals. You should not hessitate so much and just go for it, you had the game won a lot of times

- I think you should have build more OC's in the late game, and sacrificed your workers to replace them with mules and more army

- Now the reason why you lost the game in the end; at 30 minutes you guys had a fight, and for some reason your macro just stopped; and since he was floating 10000 minerals, he was able to reproduce super fast and roll you. You did not have to think too much about what units to build imo, if you just queued MMM and stimmed in, you could have killed him

There that are some of the things I picked up from the game; you do well in the fights with splitting and dodging his storms, I really liked that. You were better then him I felt, you just hesitated too much to finish him off.

GG!

Hey I just got back into this game because of HoTS. Played WoL right at launch for like 4 or 5 months then stopped completely. Was wondering if anyone had a good newbie guide for the competitive scene, I remember Day9 had a Back to Basics video at WoL launch that was really useful. Any stuff like that.

Also, I watched MLG and loved it, but was wondering if y'all could shed light on the difference of play in WoL. Everyone seems to be very happy about the shift, was just wondering what it was before HoTS.

Yoshichan

StZd1qD.png

YaTBDWm.png

Took me some time, but hey I used every free minute I could with this crap :p I had tons of fun!

profit

Hey I just got back into this game because of HoTS. Played WoL right at launch for like 4 or 5 months then stopped completely. Was wondering if anyone had a good newbie guide for the competitive scene, I remember Day9 had a Back to Basics video at WoL launch that was really useful. Any stuff like that.

Also, I watched MLG and loved it, but was wondering if y'all could shed light on the difference of play in WoL. Everyone seems to be very happy about the shift, was just wondering what it was before HoTS.
Youtube apollo's tutorial videos and also filterSC. Great videos for beginning players or people that want to work on their mechanics.

Yoshichan

Can't change portraits... tried relogging, but still can't :/ Anyone know what's going on?

Morokh

Finished the campaign, and really GAF has been way over reacting on this one about the story, there are some cheesy moments here and there, but overall it's pretty solid.

Really liked the primal Zerg thing, but the evolution missions counting as full missions is a pure joke xD

The mission designs are really great overall, and really make you feel like you're in control of a swarm of locusts devouring everything in it's way.
Oddly enough my favorite is the one where
you control the Hyperion

It's a shame though that you don't get to play Zerg the regular way once in the campain.

Finished the campaign, and really GAF has been way over reacting on this one about the story, there are some cheesy moments here and there, but overall it's pretty solid.

Really liked the primal Zerg thing, but the evolution missions counting as full missions is a pure joke xD

Yeah I didn't like them too much, they seemed cool at first but after awhile they just felt like a chore getting in the way of the story missions. I would of rather had them be longer and more challenging or just not in there at all.

What is with those little backround pictures where you profile name is? Is there any way to change them and how does it decide which one to use?

J2d

StZd1qD.png

YaTBDWm.png

Took me some time, but hey I used every free minute I could with this crap :p I had tons of fun!
I was surprised to see that you are ranked master (all the insane episodes I've witnessed has kinda overshadowed the fact that you are actually good at the game!) but why so few games won? Many accounts or what?

Yoshichan

I was surprised to see that you are ranked master (all the insane episodes I've witnessed has kinda overshadowed the fact that you are actually good at the game!) but why so few games won? Many accounts or what?
I've coached SC2 for a year now throughout multiple different accounts. All the games I've played have also been split through 6-7 accounts :3
Got it today, like it so far, only played like 3 missions though. What is with the overuse of "darling?"
It'll calm down later on.

edit: GG HotS for today... won't be able to play at all tomorrow, or the day after that :( Real life sucks sometimes...

Complete and utter noob to StarCraft and RTS's in general, is this game noob friendly? And any must see/read begginers guides to getting started in multiplayer? Not looking to be amazing at the game, just good enough to handle my own.

Top Bottom