• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

profit

I would love to observe some tournament games. Is that something you guys do? If that's a thing, I'm down haha

I think the players will just agree to a date when they will play and everyone that wants to watch can join in of their online at that time.

NA > EU Confirmed
Yes, but we are superior in numbers, and my rank is from WoL!
Havent played any ladder games yet in HoTS; but most likely I'll end up in Silver

fanboi

Banned
Tried getting hold of you Yoshi on FB... but your account has been inactivated.

Did you flip on facebook to now? God damnit.

StayDead

Just to throw this out there, I posted in the tournament thread but I'm a Diamond level player looking for some practice partners around/above my level so I can refine timings/grind out build orders against different things. I'm Qikz.963 (ID/Number) on EU if anyones interested. ^^

zargle

TheNix organized the last tournament IIRC. Where did he go?

lol. Pretty much no one who has organized a tournament in the past is going to want to do it again. Gaf tournaments are historically terrible to run if not all run in the same day.

Just to throw this out there, I posted in the tournament thread but I'm a Diamond level player looking for some practice partners around/above my level so I can refine timings/grind out build orders against different things. I'm Qikz.963 (ID/Number) on EU if anyones interested. ^^
If you feel like coming over to US server I'll grind some games out with you today. I'm on my way home from school right now.

G-Pink

Just picked up the game, looking forward to getting into single player, and then seeing if I can actually do something in multiplayer. Went back to Brood War recently to see if any of my time in WoL had benefited me speed-wise, and no, it did not.

profit

Would have loved to, but I'm below your level :(. Are you in the Neogaf group on EU yet?

Jarnet87

Been streaming HoTS a bit, and the single player campaign looks great. It's pretty dam meaty in terms of missions and the story is solid as always. I don't know If I want to pay the full $40, but I will definitely grab the expansion at some point. I don't play SC multiplayer, but I think that Blizzard does an impressive job with their RTS games that the single player is enthralling enough for people to pick the game up.

xmShake

Neo Member
How do you beat the level Infested on Hard before the 3rd gas?

You don't have to infest all the platforms or creep the science facilities for one. You also don't have to kill any of their production facilities. I completely skipped the last two infestation points in the bottom left section of the map, and pretty much ignored all the computers production facilities in the final portion of the map. Together with swarm lings, kerrigan, and mind controlling thors / banshees / tanks, you can pull it off without too much difficulty, although you pretty much have to focus fire the entrance near the end, but that's pretty easy with thors and kerrigan psi blast.

Ketch

How about some serious random newb questions?

If I put all my hatcheries in ctrl group 5, is there a fast way to switch my between them? I want to be able to inject larvae faster, but right now I hit 5,5 go back to my main base and then have to scroll the screen over to my 2nd and 3rd. Select my queens, hit v, click the hatch... ugh takes forever.

Also, any tips for spreading creep faster? The pros are SOOO freaking good at it, like half of the map in 10 minutes, and I can't even get it spread from my 2nd to 3rd. I know more tumors means faster growth, but how does it not take forever to move all the creep tumors up?

I guess a lot of this just comes down to practice. I'm getting a lot better at teching up and getting upgrades, but still suffer greatly when it comes to switching between controlling my army on the field and building things in my base.

If I put all my hatcheries in ctrl group 5, is there a fast way to switch my between them? I want to be able to inject larvae faster, but right now I hit 5,5 go back to my main base and then have to scroll the screen over to my 2nd and 3rd. Select my queens, hit v, click the hatch... ugh takes forever.

Also, any tips for spreading creep faster? The pros are SOOO freaking good at it, like half of the map in 10 minutes, and I can't even get it spread from my 2nd to 3rd. I know more tumors means faster growth, but how does it not take forever to move all the creep tumors up?

I guess a lot of this just comes down to practice. I'm getting a lot better at teching up and getting upgrades, but still suffer greatly when it comes to switching between controlling my army on the field and building things in my base.

I'm pretty sure backspace works, just gotta rehotkey it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Set up one hotkey for all of your hatches to consolidate production, and then separate hotkeys for the individual ones for injects.

f0rk

Hotkey F1/2/3/4 to camera positions over your main/nat/3rd etc

masterkajo

Either use Backspace (I rehotkeyed it to the key left of "1") which cycles through your bases or use the advanced method of camera hotkeying from F1-F4 (you have to change the hotkeys from F5-F8 to F1-F4. Works better IMO. I choose "ALT" for army hotkey (which was F2) which I hardly use and "Space" for idle worker hotkey (which was F1) which I sometimes use.)

EDIT:
Played a single match against the AI last night, man is the Mothership core fun. Now to look up and study some builds so I can apply some early pressure :D
As a Terran, I hate it if a Protos attacks with a Stalker and maybe a Zealot on the front while sneaking his Mothership core in the back and attacks my workers. Sooo annyoing to deal with... you are welcome.

Chris R

Played a single match against the AI last night, man is the Mothership core fun. Now to look up and study some builds so I can apply some early pressure :D

Ketch

This page actually details all the ways to inject with Backspace version seemingly being the most efficient.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Spawn_Larva

For reference of what backspace injecting looks like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MDb_hzuyo

Awesome pro tip. That's seriously revolutionary. I've been surfing the team liquid site, but haven't found the newbie section.

Got one person so far, but still looking for more people for the GAF scrub league. Bronze through Gold, PM me. It's just gonna be some fun practice matches/get to know people in your skill bracket thing. Next week is my spring break so maybe I can do like some proper book keeping on it.

OMG Evilore responded to my post /faint

f0rk

What do you use as your "select all army" button then?

shift ~, ~ for idle drones but I've never used that

Wait, does that still work? For some reason I thought that was removed back in vanilla sc2.

I think it wasn't at launch and they added it in?

Anyway, done my placements and got into Gold! All 4 games today were ZvZ lol, here's the replays if anyone wants them (they made it too easy to upload them going to spam the thread now lol)

http://drop.sc/311381
http://drop.sc/311379
http://drop.sc/311380
http://drop.sc/311378

f0rk

Awesome! Grats.

Did you do any prep before your placement matches? I'm worried that mmr is all worked out yet, and I haven't even beaten the campaign yet.

I played quite a lot of AI games up to elite but it's got to the point I can tell they aren't giving me a good idea of human play because they either all in or macro hard, there's no harass.
I played quite a range of opponents though, one guy in masters crushed me.

Put all the Queens on a hotkey. Select the queen hotkey, hit the hotkey for Spawn Larva, then hold shift and click each of the hatcheries on your minimap. The queen nearest to each hatchery will perform the inject without moving and you don't need to look at your base.

Well, thought I may as well introduce myself in here. I'm a meching Terran on EU at Diamond level (hopefully I'm pushing for masters, need to refine my play a little). I mech in all the matchups and I cannot stand bio. Here's some of my replays if anyones interested in mech/how to traditonal (tank/hellion) mech in TvP.

TvPs

http://drop.sc/311214
http://drop.sc/311212
http://drop.sc/311211

TvZ

http://drop.sc/311210

I'll be in the GAF group on EU if anyone around my level wants to practice with/against a meching terran.

Thanks dude. I watched your TvZ game over my lunch break. Nice job, it was funny to see the Zerg player bitching about Terran being OP. I'll definitely check out your Protoss matches too.

Also, did Blizz remove the "auto camera" option from replays? All I could see is manual, or each player's camera.

Yep, I wouldn't agonize too much over the decision. They're not really necessary.

And once you've beaten the campaign,
the Master Archive lets you choose whichever branches and upgrades you want to use for any given mission, so it's not like you're stuck with the choice forever.

Yep. I just massed ultras, lings and hydras.

Tiamant

Brutal is sooooo easy compared to WoL that I must say I'm dissapointed. I beat the Khaldir mission like 4 waves before just massing mutas with the +8 damage to armored upgrade. Just clump 'em, cast that rage spell, snipe those giant stargates.

I'm not looking for the Zerus missions though, they're sooo dull.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tried to load the fanboi vs Yoshi beta games... Doesn't work :( fuuuuuuuck!

cdyhybrid

I went Raptor/Muta every single mission with a few Torrasque Ultras tossed in on the last one for shits and giggles and never had problems. Went with the Viper strain but rarely actually used them.

fanboi

Banned
Evilore, god bless his name, has promised a prize in form of a tag to the champion of the tournament.

So... this is your chance to become one of the tagged

Top Bottom