• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SRTtoZ

StZd1qD.png

YaTBDWm.png

Took me some time, but hey I used every free minute I could with this crap :p I had tons of fun!

Awesome man. Just beat it a few minutes ago. Loved every minute of it, now time to get 100% like you. Now for the longgggggg wait until LotV. :(

Complete and utter noob to StarCraft and RTS's in general, is this game noob friendly? And any must see/read begginers guides to getting started in multiplayer? Not looking to be amazing at the game, just good enough to handle my own.

Very newb friendly IMO. Tons of tutorials and whatnot, bonus missions, the campaign teaches you a ton and is VERY fun. Lots of videos on youtube as well to help you out too.

Got it today, like it so far, only played like 3 missions though. What is with the overuse of "darling?"

It starts out pretty corny but gets way better after the first few missions.

Paches

I am completely lost as a Terran v Protoss early game. Not really sure what a good build is. Basically I am scouting as long as I can for a double gas or expo. Fast oracle hits are so deadly combined with pressure at the front and a mothership core somewhere.

Esiquio

Complete and utter noob to StarCraft and RTS's in general, is this game noob friendly? And any must see/read begginers guides to getting started in multiplayer? Not looking to be amazing at the game, just good enough to handle my own.

Play the tutorials in the game, play the campaign a bit to get an idea of how the game mechanics work. You can play it on Casual, which is ridiculously easy. Watch Day9 videos and Google StarCraft 2 tutorials. I wouldn't worry too much about getting too specific with strats, you just want to get the mechanics, the basics, down.

Plucked up the courage to play my first placement match.
I won.
I am the best StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm player ever.
Heart's still beating

Here's the reply

I know that feel. I get so crazy tense during SC2 matches sometimes!

Check this out, everybody. I haven't finished the HotS campaign yet (so I don't totally get the hate for the overall story, but I did just get to the jungle planet, which made me sigh a bit), but Metzen will not be the main writer for Legacy of the Void! It's this guy, James Waugh. Apparently he wrote a WoW book. I hope he can write good dialogue at least.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I dunno, I watched the leaked ending once and from what I remember of it it looked awfully similar to what I saw at the end of HoS

There are definitely some shot for shot similarities but there are differences too. In the original version Mengsk gets Kerrigan with an implant rather than the artifact. Also the final speech by Kerrigan is COMPLETELY different, for the better. Her original speech talks about the Zerg being "free" or some shit. Blech

Wunder

Allright, got around to watching it!

First of all, you could have won that game pretty early imo.
Here are some things I noted:

- I think the Oracle needs be engaged with 5 marines (?) I'm not too sure myself but when his oracle came in you got 3, thats too few, the oracle will slaughter them.

- At 10 minutes you only had about 31 scv's and that is waaaay to few

- At the same time the Toss was floating tons of minerals, if you just had kept your macro up you would just roll over his base when you started your aggression at 10 minutes

- That engagement at his natural; you had the game won there. You killed his army, his last collosi was almost dead but you just had to pull back from the photon overcharge, that killed your army during the fight

- At 16 minutes you finally got around to 50 SCV's, the Toss was at 75 probes

- You kept your upgrades flowing nicely, that was really good

- After every engagemnt you were ahead in supply, your opponent was floating tons of minnerals. You should not hessitate so much and just go for it, you had the game won a lot of times

- I think you should have build more OC's in the late game, and sacrificed your workers to replace them with mules and more army

- Now the reason why you lost the game in the end; at 30 minutes you guys had a fight, and for some reason your macro just stopped; and since he was floating 10000 minerals, he was able to reproduce super fast and roll you. You did not have to think too much about what units to build imo, if you just queued MMM and stimmed in, you could have killed him

There that are some of the things I picked up from the game; you do well in the fights with splitting and dodging his storms, I really liked that. You were better then him I felt, you just hesitated too much to finish him off.

GG!

Thanks a lot profit, means a lot that you took the time to really analyze this. I have heard from my friends and people I play with that I am quite passive, especially in TvP. I will try to correct it, I just have some bad experiences with rushing in too early and losing to chargelots.

I do have to work on my SCV production as well, that's one of the big things I haven't regained since coming back to SC2, though it wasn't stellar before anyway. I also have to work on macroing while in fights - I tend to focus solely on stutterstepping and forget to macro.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments and the advice!

Just finished the last mission and
I covered my eyes when Kerrigan flew away. It was that bad.
Mission itself was cool though. Campaign gameplay gets 9/10 from me. 1 point off for those tedious evolution missions.

StayDead

Well, thought I may as well introduce myself in here. I'm a meching Terran on EU at Diamond level (hopefully I'm pushing for masters, need to refine my play a little). I mech in all the matchups and I cannot stand bio. Here's some of my replays if anyones interested in mech/how to traditonal (tank/hellion) mech in TvP.

TvPs

http://drop.sc/311214
http://drop.sc/311212
http://drop.sc/311211

TvZ

http://drop.sc/311210

I'll be in the GAF group on EU if anyone around my level wants to practice with/against a meching terran.

RetroMG

Maaan... Just got in from out of town and I really want to pick this up, but Battle.net isn't recognizing the codes from my phone's authenticator app or my dongle. I've tried restoring, everything, and the next step is to scan my ID so I can prove to Blizzard that I'm really me.

I know not having an authenticator is an invitation to get hacked but this is feeling like more trouble than it's worth.

Vaporak

Maaan... Just got in from out of town and I really want to pick this up, but Battle.net isn't recognizing the codes from my phone's authenticator app or my dongle. I've tried restoring, everything, and the next step is to scan my ID so I can prove to Blizzard that I'm really me.

I know not having an authenticator is an invitation to get hacked but this is feeling like more trouble than it's worth.

I used to have an authenticator via my phone, but it started giving me codes that didn't work so I contacted support to get it removed. Just don't fall for phishing scams when you don't have one and it's not really a problem imo.

did you try hitting the little refresh button on the mobile app? I had the same problem but after using that to sync it worked fine. Also I didn't think you could have two authenticators bound to a single account

I learned the hard way for the 100th time. Don't play Ranked MP when you are tired. Will have to win 3 matches in a row to get back from my losses. :(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh.....

That feel of losing three games in a row...

Now I remember why I stopped playing 1v1s in this game. :(

SamuraiX-

Just read about David Kim's initial thoughts on balance updates.

If Blizzard can maintain this mindset throughout the game's lifespan, HotS may very well rise to the quality of Brood War in due time. Future of StarCraft looks promising. :D

Ketch

Wooo just got promoted to MEDIUM AI. WASUP! AI never walls off, I feel like the newbiest of newbs is gonna wall off.

I'm doing really well in the campaign on hard, but 1vAI I'm not good... doing things out on the map with your army while also building things in your base is hard enough, but then you have to like think about what you should be doing... I feel like my brain just doesn't want to function, it's a very weird feeling.

I'm gonna finish campaign and play some more AI until hopefully the ladder normalizes and then I'll do placement matches.

Also, I've been watching the replays from TSL4 grand championship, Life VS CreatorPrime. It's very good. No spoilers please.

Spl1nter

Hmm ladder is interesting right now. Won 3 of 5 placements but 2 I lost were against a diamond and masters player, get placed in silver lol. Actually has worked out well however. Playing random and doing my own build orders and trying out the new units against easy competition. A lot more fun when you have no idea of build orders or what the meta game is.

Xamdou

Ugh.....

That feel of losing three games in a row...

Now I remember why I stopped playing 1v1s in this game. :(

I know the feeling, I finally played my first 1v1 match yesterday and won by a huge margin. Very happy winning, then proceeded to do my second 1v1 match and lost quite badly vs a zerg player. I then tried a 4v4 match and lost against an enemy team that were in the same clan.

Aylinato

Wooo just got promoted to MEDIUM AI. WASUP! AI never walls off, I feel like the newbiest of newbs is gonna wall off.

I'm doing really well in the campaign on hard, but 1vAI I'm not good... doing things out on the map with your army while also building things in your base is hard enough, but then you have to like think about what you should be doing... I feel like my brain just doesn't want to function, it's a very weird feeling.

I'm gonna finish campaign and play some more AI until hopefully the ladder normalizes and then I'll do placement matches.

Also, I've been watching the replays from TSL4 grand championship, Life VS CreatorPrime. It's very good. No spoilers please.

Good job.

I got placed diamond in 3v3. Been playing some fun team games.

Last one we pushed too late for our forces.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Boo. Beat a mission on Brutal and it didn't take. :/

Oh well, wasn't exactly a tough mission. Still annoying.
"Didn't take"?

JLeack

Banned
Damn. This game killed my LoL addiction. I didn't think it was possible.

I have always sucked at RTS but have always aspired to be good. However, I never made a big push to get good. Well, I'm dedicated to getting good at HOTS. I already have over 50 games since I finished my review on Friday.

Anyone want to give me a little training? It's be super appreciated!

profit

Plucked up the courage to play my first placement match.
I won.
I am the best StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm player ever.
Heart's still beating

Here's the reply

Well, thought I may as well introduce myself in here. I'm a meching Terran on EU at Diamond level (hopefully I'm pushing for masters, need to refine my play a little). I mech in all the matchups and I cannot stand bio. Here's some of my replays if anyones interested in mech/how to traditonal (tank/hellion) mech in TvP.

TvPs

http://drop.sc/311214
http://drop.sc/311212
http://drop.sc/311211

TvZ

http://drop.sc/311210

I'll be in the GAF group on EU if anyone around my level wants to practice with/against a meching terran.

Will check these out when I get the time! Which sadly wont be tonight I think.
EU GAF fighting!

With global play, we should hold a GAF tournament imo!

Ketch

I would join a GAF tournament. It would just be a free win for whoever I played.

What i really want to do is start a GAF scrub league. For like gold and below.

Edit: crap, top of the page? (I'm on mobile ATM)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'd love to participate in a GAF tournament!

Also, thanks for covering up for me and helping everyone with their games, Profit!! You're doing awesome observing and pointing out the critical things!

profit

I'd love to participate in a GAF tournament!

Also, thanks for covering up for me and helping everyone with their games, Profit!! You're doing awesome observing and pointing out the critical things!

No problem brochan. I really like doing it, although I will mostly overlook a lot of things because I'm new to noticing other people's mistakes.
Also its the only thing Starcraft related I can do at this time. Waaaaay too little time to actually play.

Wunder

Damn. This game killed my LoL addiction. I didn't think it was possible.

I have always sucked at RTS but have always aspired to be good. However, I never made a big push to get good. Well, I'm dedicated to getting good at HOTS. I already have over 50 games since I finished my review on Friday.

Anyone want to give me a little training? It's be super appreciated!

Are you NA? I can give your some pointers if you're playing Terran!

profit

Thanks a lot profit, means a lot that you took the time to really analyze this. I have heard from my friends and people I play with that I am quite passive, especially in TvP. I will try to correct it, I just have some bad experiences with rushing in too early and losing to chargelots.

I do have to work on my SCV production as well, that's one of the big things I haven't regained since coming back to SC2, though it wasn't stellar before anyway. I also have to work on macroing while in fights - I tend to focus solely on stutterstepping and forget to macro.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments and the advice!
Oh I know that feel, I'm way too passive aswell, a lot of my replays are doing the same mistakes you did (too passive, not macroing while engaging); thats why I noticed those things I guess.
As for your SCV production, just play a few AI games and make it your goal to constantly produce SCV's so you hit about 50 at the 10 minute mark (going for a more macro build offcourse). Do a dozen or so games and producing them will just come automatically.

fanboi

Banned
If you want to see a good GAF game you should watch me vs Yoshi.

Every game we have played (beside one bane bust I did) has lasted over 60 min mark.

T.O.P

Banned

Every game we have played (beside one bane bust I did) has lasted over 60 min mark.

my mind is already falling apart if a match stretches over 20 minutes, i would stop playing for a week after a match THAT long lol

pretty curious now :3

Yoshichan

Seriously, THIS. Me and fanboi are closest in skill than anyone else on GAF. The HotS-beta games we were playing against each other stretched for 40-60 minutes, all minerals mined out and constant, constant aggression from both parts.

By the end of each game, I was shaking.

Good fucking games fanboi. Peak of HotS so far. We need to relive those moments asap!

profit

Seriously, THIS. Me and fanboi are closest in skill than anyone else on GAF. The HotS-beta games we were playing against each other stretched for 40-60 minutes, all minerals mined out and constant, constant aggression from both parts.

By the end of each game, I was shaking.

Good fucking games fanboi. Peak of HotS so far. We need to relive those moments asap!

As I said, live GAF showmatch so we can all watch this!

GAF Tourney is in awesome idea. With Region-Free MP now it also wouldn't exclude anyone. My Gold skills are quite laughable but still, I'd play.

profit

Well, seems like a lot of people enjoy the GAF tournament idea.
I would love to organize it, but with my lack of time I doubt it'll actually happen...
I'll love to co-organize it though.

Wunder

I'll tell you, you'll most likely be able to beat me, I'm lower ranked then you anyway :)

Haha, I didn't mean to self-deprecate to the point where someone had to tell me there are worse people out there :p I hate it when people do that since it makes it seem like they are fishing for compliments. I just went on a bad losing streak in TvT so I'm a bit salty and lost confidence regarding my skill level.

Thanks though! Hope we meet in the tournament ^^

profit

Haha, I didn't mean to self-deprecate to the point where someone had to tell me there are worse people out there :p I hate it when people do that since it makes it seem like they are fishing for compliments. I just went on a bad losing streak in TvT so I'm a bit salty and lost confidence regarding my skill level.

Thanks though! Hope we meet in the tournament ^^
Oh no, wasnt fishing for compliments, I was being sincere since I've watched you play and I could honestly say you are better then me :).

Yeah I hope we meet aswell
and that I'll crush you!

Son1x

NA > EU Confirmed

naeu.png

In other news: I got the reaper portait. I'm actually playing random on ladder. It really makes the game much more fun, although I keep getting ZvZ and I suck at it.

ShaneB

Is that 32 players a hard limit for the tournament? I'd join if for nothing else to be a free win for someone, but I'd rather someone good join :p

Top Bottom