• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does unranked do a good job of at least matching you with people of similar skill or is it all over the place? I was thinking about working on some builds there before I hit the ladder.

ShaneB

O, marines, maradudes, and those mercaniaries. Maybe tanks. I don't remember. Yikes.

*nods* I assume with each mission that introduces a new unit, you should focus on those units, and I need to keep building units regardless, like marines and medics. Like I said, multitasking is an issue of mine, when I said a squad out on a task, I tend to forget about everything else. :(

Mairu

It's more a complete gamble. I got him mixed up with someone else when I picked my team so now I'm just praying he does badly :p

IM is a pretty deep team, even just with Protoss (Seed, Yonghwa, First, MC, Squirtle) so it's pretty possible that he doesn't even get much play. Might end up losing a lot of points with every IM win though!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WoL? Mass marines, despite difficulty.

Done.

What do you guys do with mines? In my games, I send them all over the map and watchtowers but they end up doing almost nothing because everyone is so passive int he lower leagues. Nobody ever leaves their base unless they fully committed to an attack. Should I just spam them in my mineral line and put them directly outside their ramp?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hey guys, what are your standard hots builds?

for me:

tvz:

2 reactored hellions
2 mines to block expansions
maarauder-hellbat into full on mech and ghosts

tvp

i was going the wol 2 rax to decent success but im thinking of switching to a reactored marine mine FE

tvt

iab marine hellion drop while FE into tanks. someone used this against me and it seems pretty solid.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What do you guys do with mines? In my games, I send them all over the map and watchtowers but they end up doing almost nothing because everyone is so passive int he lower leagues. Nobody ever leaves their base unless they fully committed to an attack. Should I just spam them in my mineral line and put them directly outside their ramp?

force the zerg to get an overseer for their 3rd. its a pretty huge delay

Aylinato

*nods* I assume with each mission that introduces a new unit, you should focus on those units, and I need to keep building units regardless, like marines and medics. Like I said, multitasking is an issue of mine, when I said a squad out on a task, I tend to forget about everything else. :(

I just add the free forces to my main army and build marines/tanks/defenses(only on specific maps that are you being sieged)

ShaneB

Always remember the one truth about Starcraft: Marines are OP.

Sounds like an old Gamepro protip. PROTIP: To beat the game, build marines and shoot at stuff until it dies.

Anyways, guess I'll keep at it. :p

Also, in terms of story, are any StarCraft novels worth reading?

Igaunt35

Neo Member
hey guys, what are your standard hots builds?

for me:

tvz:

2 reactored hellions
2 mines to block expansions
maarauder-hellbat into full on mech and ghosts

tvp

i was going the wol 2 rax to decent success but im thinking of switching to a reactored marine mine FE

tvt

iab marine hellion drop while FE into tanks. someone used this against me and it seems pretty solid.

I have been using this in TvP with some pretty good success, early mines help against things like early oracles or any early gateway attacks.

12 rax
15 gas
19 reactor
20 cc
21 fact

ShaneB

They're all horrible ._.

Yeah, I figured, dang it.

Seriously, on most of the missions, marine medic marauder will win for you. Can be tougher in Brutal, but for Hard that should probably suffice. You got all the upgrades for them, right?

And if there's a particular mission you're having trouble with, we can try to give more specific advice.

By upgrades you mean? Armoury updgrades? Engineering Bay? Research Upgrades? etc?

It's not much so much a specific mission (last night it was the 'trouble in the jungle' mission, get protoss stuff before they do, or the contract mission - get credits before they do, etc etc), but just any mission where I'm forced into a race against time to do such and such a task.

If anything the idea that I should just be focusing on marines and medics should alleviate any issues I have with balancing an army/available minerals if those will be main builds.

I'm doing an impromptu GAF Night roughly one hour from this edit. 8PM EST

This will take place on the US SERVER you can participate by using the new ingame server switcher button that appears on the login screen!

I'm going to try to set up lots of inhouse teamgames, FFA's, 1v1 obs, and even some Arcade games. This for the most part will be run by me for at the minimum 2 hours. Please try your best to use the mumble server during it!

Please use the mumble during GAF night!
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739

Magical Nerds

Main Team
4 -
Zicon_small.png
BboongBboong
5 -
Ticon_small.png
ByuN
4 -
Ticon_small.png
KeeN
3 -
Zicon_small.png
Lucky
6 -
Ticon_small.png
MMA
3 -
Picon_small.png
Ruin
6 -
Zicon_small.png
Sniper (captain)
3 -
Picon_small.png
VINES
2 - Team AxiomAcer

Anti Team
3 -
Ticon_small.png
Ganzi
7 -
Ticon_small.png
MarineKing
3 -
Picon_small.png
Super(Vampire)

I feel I made out pretty well.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I figured, dang it.

By upgrades you mean? Armoury updgrades? Engineering Bay? Research Upgrades? etc?

It's not much so much a specific mission (last night it was the 'trouble in the jungle' mission, get protoss stuff before they do, or the contract mission - get credits before they do, etc etc), but just any mission where I'm forced into a race against time to do such and such a task.

If anything the idea that I should just be focusing on marines and medics should alleviate any issues I have with balancing an army/available minerals if those will be main builds.

Let your economy determine what you build. Still building up minerals even though you're constantly building Marines? Build another Rax. Have enough Medics? Get upgrades. Etc.

SamuraiX-

How do they calculate the points?

TeamLiquid said:
Player Scoring:
Lineup Appearance: +1 Point*
Game Win: +2 Points per win
Game Loss: -1 Point
2-Game Streak Break: +1 Point**
3-Game Streak Break: +2 Points**
Your Player's Team Wins: +1 Point***

Tie-breaks are decided by the team captain's score.

*Point given just for appearing in a match, regardless of win or loss. Only counts once, i.e. if MC goes 4-0, he still only gets 1 appearance point.
**Given when a pro-gamer defeats a pro-gamer on the opposing team who is on a two or three game winning streak. Streaks do not carry over between matches; all streaks must occur in the same match.
***This counts for all players on the team's roster, even if they did not play in the match.

Team Scoring:
4-0 Victory: 6 Points
4-1 Victory: 4 Points
4-2 Victory: 3 Points
4-3 Victory: 2 Points
3-4 Defeat: 1 Point
2-4 Defeat: 0 Points
1-4 Defeat: -1 Points
0-4 Defeat: -2 Points

Miscellaneous
Trade Tax: -1

Mairu

How do they calculate the points?

Based on performance or likelyhood of being played - So anyone who played (and won) in the GSTL HotS Preseason or IEM/MLG is going to have higher than 4 points.

Some of the points are kinda weird but there's not really much to pull from to value all the players. MKP seems like a risky person to put on anti-team considering he'll probably get played every single Prime match and I expect him to win at least a couple of games. Then again, I expect the same from MMA and he's on my anti team!

ShaneB

The campaign upgrades (I think those are the Armoury upgrades). Especially the medic one that lets them heal faster and the stims for marines.

Yeah, I believe I have those 2 upgrades, I guess I'll get the other ones as well.

Let your economy determine what you build. Still building up minerals even though you're constantly building Marines? Build another Rax. Have enough Medics? Get upgrades. Etc.

Yeah, this makes sense. Like I said, I get to a point where I am bad at multitasking and my minerals just keep piling up, so barracks just sit around not working. Will correct that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Has anyone found a use for swarm host in zvt? They seem pretty horrible.
All I remember was getting destroyed by them in the beta :lol 200/200 Swarm Hosts :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Finally got the game. Did 2 unranked stuff and then the 5 placement games. Got into Silver. Not a bad start. Hoping to get into Gold relatively quickly though.

Just got destroyed in a game by Oracle harass. I totally forgot about those things. Guy seriously killed like 40 workers of mine. I managed to safely, nearly max my army but then I lost in a big fight because I'm pretty sure I was way behind on upgrades. Oh well. Having lots of fun.

Spl1nter

All I remember was getting destroyed by them in the beta :lol 200/200 Swarm Hosts :(

Well I have won a couple games with them but I was pretty far ahead so I could make that 200/200. However in a normal situation have only 5-10 they dont seem effective enough. Pretty bad against siege tanks as the locust move so slowly. Probably partially my fault as they have a range attack and I went melee upgrades.

Mr Swine

Banned
Well I have won a couple games with them but I was pretty far ahead so I could make that 200/200. However in a normal situation have only 5-10 they dont seem effective enough. Pretty bad against siege tanks as the locust move so slowly. Probably partially my fault as they have a range attack and I went melee upgrades.

Bad against siege tanks? It takes almost 3 hits from a siege tank to kill a single SH. And when Zerg has 20 SH you need a lot of tanks to back it up and not let them come near your base. That gives Zerg all the time they need to take all minerals on the map

Spl1nter

Bad against siege tanks? It takes almost 3 hits from a siege tank to kill a single SH. And when Zerg has 20 SH you need a lot of tanks to back it up and not let them come near your base. That gives Zerg all the time they need to take all minerals on the map

20 SH, your opponent is going to have a lot of units than. Thats 4000-2000 resource wise. Of course they will be powerful at that point but what about when you only have 5 or 10. You need other support units with them so when all your locust die they dont get trampled on. Muta's have so much more utility and are cheaper.

f0rk

Man Terran drop harass seems a lot easier for gold leaguers than ling attacks

Oh wut dude was Masters in WoL that makes me feel better he didn't seem insane

HappyHunting

Neo Member
20 SH, your opponent is going to have a lot of units than. Thats 4000-2000 resource wise. Of course they will be powerful at that point but what about when you only have 5 or 10. You need other support units with them so when all your locust die they dont get trampled on. Muta's have so much more utility and are cheaper.

I keep reading this convo again and again and can't see what situation you guys are talking about.

Swarm Hosts and Mutas do two completely different things entirely, especially after the Muta changes in HotS.

If you are going swarm hosts you better have support units first and build into swarm hosts. Then you siege from app a screen away, well away from any siege tank damage. Goal here is two fold: Slow siege an expansion and punish any form of straight on counter attack with support.

Edit: Clarification... Siege Tanks do not counter swarm hosts. They do the same thing as Colossus, help you take less damage from free units.

Spl1nter

I keep reading this convo again and again and can't see what situation you guys are talking about.

Swarm Hosts and Mutas do two completely different things entirely, especially after the Muta changes in HotS.

If you are going swarm hosts you better have support units first and build into swarm hosts. Then you siege from app a screen away, well away from any siege tank damage. Goal here is two fold: Slow siege an expansion and punish any form of straight on counter attack with support.

Edit: Clarification... Siege Tanks do not counter swarm hosts. They do the same thing as Colossus, help you take less damage from free units.

In which case you have put a ton of your supply into swarmhosts and allowed the other person to build up to 200. Unless you have an advantage I just cant see them being useful. Broodlords are a lot scarier from a terran perspective. I just dont see a role for them in zvt as they dont transition nicely. I guess maybe if start with a gameplan of hydra/swarm/viper. But actually finishing a terran with that combination is not easy.

(._.)

Banned
Really looking forward to the upcoming season of the GSL. Last season was the only one I didn't get EVER. Gonna get a subscription now that HotS is out.

Aylinato

I'm addicted to watching people play zerg. Damn their interesting play. I should be watching some protoss to hone my skillz, but noooo zerg has to be so interesting.

(._.)

Banned
I'm addicted to watching people play zerg. Damn their interesting play. I should be watching some protoss to hone my skillz, but noooo zerg has to be so interesting.

LITERALLY THE SAME

I'm actually thinking of playing again and switching to Zerg. The muta play I've been seeing streamed lately is reminding me of Broodwar Zerg.

Aylinato

LITERALLY THE SAME

I'm actually thinking of playing again and switching to Zerg. The muta play I've been seeing streamed lately is reminding me of Broodwar Zerg.

that plus I love the viper micro. so beautiful.

swarm hosts, I've only seen two games with them and the people got wrecked. lol

Ultralisks and vipers have been a good combo, ive seen

(._.)

Banned
that plus I love the viper micro. so beautiful.

swarm hosts, I've only seen two games with them and the people got wrecked. lol

Ultralisks and vipers have been a good combo, ive seen

Yeah, swarm hosts look awful. IdrA and Destiny use them a lot with roach/hydra ~_~

Jaedong and stephano have been going muta/ling/bling with a few infestors most games into ultra/vipors and it's amazing to watch.

f0rk

Man this game stresses me out. I feel like I'm better than my opponent at macro and stuff but I just fall apart when they attack off 2 bases and I'm not quite set up. And if I go aggressive to begin with it's just going to be worse.

Getting the drone/unit balance right is hard

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Man this game stresses me out. I feel like I'm better than my opponent at macro and stuff but I just fall apart when they attack off 2 bases and I'm not quite set up. And if I go aggressive to begin with it's just going to be worse.

I know this may seem repetetitive and you most likely heard this before but watch your replays. From what you wrote I would gather you aren't scouting aggression and you may be off with your timings.

Top Bottom