• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

a3den

First draft :

FantasyPrime

Main Team
4 -
Ticon_small.png
Dream
4 -
Ticon_small.png
Hack
4 -
Ticon_small.png
Heart
3 -
Zicon_small.png
Lucky
5 -
Ticon_small.png
Maru (captain)
4 -
Ticon_small.png
Mvp
5 -
Picon_small.png
Squirtle
5 -
Ticon_small.png
SuperNova
2 - Team PRIME

Anti Team
6 -
Ticon_small.png
MMA
4 -
Ticon_small.png
sC
3 -
Zicon_small.png
SortOf

Confident about my anti, not so much about my main (Keen, Noblesse or Dream for MVP ? I'm betting on the youngster but I feel Keen will own my ass). I'm going all-in on mid-tier terrans.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone getting crazy lag spikes in this game? I was fine in WoL but in HotS i'm getting 25-30 lag spikes/min
Yup! Massive lag sometimes.

Is that arcade DOTA game any good?

I think it's called Storm of the Imperial Sanctum or something. I know it's in the top 10 most played...

Blinck

Playing the campaign and enjoying it a lot!

Just completed the ice planet and I am now on Charr! Been playing on brutal and it's very doable so far.

Quick question: How is the overall performance for you guys during the campaign?
On the ling/baneling mission on Charr mine dropped to 10 fps on the final battle, but I guess that's understandable since there was so much shit happening with so many units.
But on the mission selection screen I get the wierd number of 30fps.
I'm running the game on ultra but my PC should be able to handle it at 60fps no problem I think ( i5 750 @ 3.6ghz, 16gb ram, GTX 670 )
Also on some places in some maps i drop to around 40 fps ( specially during atmospheric effects like snow and fog and such).
Is this normal?

Cheers and hope everyone is enjoying the game! Can't wait to hop into the multiplayer!

GC|Simon

My copy of Heart of the Swarm is finally working probably. I had heavy difficulties with tons of freezes in both, campaign and multiplayer mode, but then I did this:

marti on battle.net said:
In the game launcher(where you have to press play went you start the game)
go to Help en press repair tool en let in finish the whole thing.

Continued with the campaign. Finished all missions on Umoja and Char and two of three missions on Kaldir. Can't wait to continue soon.

If you play unranked without doing your placements yet how does the system know who to pit you against? Can you get placed into a league doing unranked?

I have been using this in TvP with some pretty good success, early mines help against things like early oracles or any early gateway attacks.

12 rax
15 gas
19 reactor
20 cc
21 fact

Mind expanding that build a bit? Like when you should have your first depot. :p

Seems kinda weak if the Toss 1 Gate FE.

I find this build has some success.

10 Supply
12 Rax
15 gas 2 SCV in gas
18 2nd rax with techlab
Make Factory at next 100 Gas
20-21 CC

From then on it depends on your macro and micro.
Bunker if toss didn't expand make WM for defense and research stim asap. 2nd and 3rd gas and maybe 4th if you can afford it should be taken and filled with 2 SCVs Get an armory before Ebay

Make Hellbats and Marauders with a couple of marines for DPS. Push out around 20 secs before Stim finishes. If the toss went air then you shouldn't be attacking as WM should be eating up your gas but Hellbat + Marauder + Marine kills most early Gateway compositions around the 7-8 min mark in lower leagues. Watch out for Immortals though, eats your marauders up. You can push out before Colossus if you macro hard and have a starport out for medivacs unless toss chronos out one.

BTW Hellbat drops are still good but less effective. You need 2 Medivacs to get all 4 across now. Better to do it late game vs Zerg if they went Ultras because they have little to no base defense/units usually.

I'm doing an impromptu GAF Night roughly one hour from this post. 8PM EST

This will take place on the US SERVER you can participate by using the new ingame server switcher button that appears on the login screen!

I'm going to try to set up lots of inhouse teamgames, FFA's, 1v1 obs, and even some Arcade games. This for the most part will be run by me for at the minimum 2 hours. Please try your best to use the mumble server during it!

Please use the mumble during GAF night!
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739

Wunder

If you play unranked without doing your placements yet how does the system know who to pit you against? Can you get placed into a league doing unranked?

Your MMR just kind of floats and they just put you in a lowish spot if you haven't played any games before. You can't get placed in a league during unranked.

f0rk

I'm doing an impromptu GAF Night roughly one hour from this post. 8PM EST

This will take place on the US SERVER you can participate by using the new ingame server switcher button that appears on the login screen!

I'm going to try to set up lots of inhouse teamgames, FFA's, 1v1 obs, and even some Arcade games. This for the most part will be run by me for at the minimum 2 hours. Please try your best to use the mumble server during it!

Please use the mumble during GAF night!
Main server: IP = chi.eoreality.net and port = 64739

I'll come over for an hour or so

Vaporak

League ranks are purely cosmetic, who you get matched up against is based on a hidden rating resulting from winning/losing games. I imagine that unranked either has a separate matchmaking rating or just uses the same one as ranked play.

ShaneB

I'll hop on in a bit for some team games :)

My campaign issues got resolved earlier as well, yeah, seems like a mountain of marines takes care of most problems
KuGsj.gif

edit: aw dammit. My headset finally bit the dust after like 6 years.

ShaneB

Was good times :) I need to get a new headset though and actually talk. I'm still terrified to play matches though, especially if everyone is watching :p

can someone tell a bottom level bronze terran player a handful of units they can just build to get by in low level games?

i've got enough basic skills to build stuff relatively efficiently for my level, but i don't know enough about the game to know what i should build or do.

also, is the adopt a newb group actually cool or will i walk away from there feeling sad? seems like a place where mean people will hang out to be mean.

starcraft scares me, if you can't tell.

zargle

can someone tell a bottom level bronze terran player a handful of units they can just build to get by in low level games?

i've got enough basic skills to build stuff relatively efficiently for my level, but i don't know enough about the game to know what i should build or do.

also, is the adopt a newb group actually cool or will i walk away from there feeling sad? seems like a place where mean people will hang out to be mean.

Cant really go wrong with Marines, Marauders, and Medivacs. Or just marines and medivacs. Or just marines. Always more marines.

Zzoram

Marine/Marauder/Medivac is a pretty good attack-move combo. Don't forget to get all the Barracks Techlab upgrades. They're more potent if you can micro and multitask but this combo also works if you just have them all selected and attack-move.

You can also mix in a few Hellbats.

fallagin

I just beat every level on brutal and got all the level specific achievs, was alot of fun! This is something that I wouldn't have even attempted in WoL.

Zzoram

I just beat every level on brutal and got all the level specific achievs, was alot of fun! This is something that I wouldn't have even attempted in WoL.

You should attempt it now that you've done it for HotS.

It's a bit harder in WoL but not that much harder. Only the last few levels are actually any harder IMO.

Spl1nter

So I am playing random, get a z(me)vp. I tell the person I am 7 pooling yet still win the game. If any one wants to see the rep. Its not a good game at all since I was trying to throw the game but kind of hilarious nevertheless. Ends up being a 30 min game.

http://drop.sc/311807

fatty

OK, finally got around to doing my placement matches, boy it was not pretty. I've been playing some 2v2 and 3v3 games but 1v1 is so different. Won 3 of my 5 placement matches and got placed in gold.

My first 3 were horrible, tried to get back into my groove on the last two. But trying to follow FilterSC's bronze to master guide, it was hard since many of my opponents had early pressure.

For reference, here are the benchmarks as zerg that I'm striving for:

Quick Reference Benchmarks
35 Drones (Including ones in production) @6 minutes
60 Drones (Including ones in production) @8 minutes
10 Combined Queen Energy @10 minutes (After next injects for each queen)

For my first replay (game 4 of my placements):

http://drop.sc/311809

39 Drones (32 plus 9 in production) @6 minutes
58 Drones (50 + 8 in production) @8 minutes (a little under)
>>10 Combined Queen Energy @10 minutes (not good on this one)

With this build I'm set to start cranking roaches at 8 minutes, but he had void ray in my base at a little under 9 minutes. Because of the 4 queens and a spore at each base I had no problem holding it off but it threw me off a bit.

For my second replay (last of my placements):

http://drop.sc/311810

This was ZvZ, and even though I try to stick to the build, I had to modify it a bit. With the large opening to my natural I knew it would be hard to hold off a lot of zerglings. But I saw he threw down his natural before me so I thought I was OK...

At the 5 minute mark I only see 4 zerglings and figure they were just scouts, but at 5:30 I see him bringing more so I have to throw down some more spines and my roach warren and gas. I didn't see banelings but I assumed they were coming so I placed my evo chambers to help wall off my natural. Sure enough, banelings came in as well as zerglings but since I had 4 queens at this point I was able to block the choke of my main and prevent the banelings from coming in and eventually the roaches finally hatched to secure victory. If he attacked earlier though, it would have been a lot harder to hold off.

I will start posting replays on losses as well asking for help if you guys don't mind. But I did so bad on my other two losses that I know what I did wrong.

Gonna go on a limb here and say Gaf night was a success!~

That's awesome, good to see so many on there.

fatty

So I am playing random, get a z(me)vp. I tell the person I am 7 pooling yet still win the game. If any one wants to see the rep. Its not a good game at all since I was trying to throw the game but kind of hilarious nevertheless. Ends up being a 30 min game.

Nice wall of spines, but I liked the running around the Nexus with the zealots chasing the zerglings more.

"So hows your night going?" lol

fatty

Edit: Sorry, meant to add this to my last post instead of making a new one.

Don't be intimidated, lots of people here are willing to help.

I would recommend checking out this series:

Bronze To Masters Episode 1 - The Basics

Also, I get into a little more in depth in this post.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

Wow. Just, wow. That protoss player was spectacularly awful. Had he researched blink faster, thrown down a warm prism or ANYTHING he could have crushed you after the initial cheese. It was like he was petrified to attack at all before you even had your wall of spine crawlers and couldn't think of anything besides attacking your front door. He had tons of options and multiple points in the game where he could have turned it around, but it looked like he didn't really even know how to play a mid game at all. His production was super low. The only good thing he did was take the high yield base and even that was late.

Bizarre. A few cannons would have ended that game in the beginning, middle or end.

Ketch

Was good times :) I need to get a new headset though and actually talk. I'm still terrified to play matches though, especially if everyone is watching :p

Shane you should join the scrub league with me and monk we need more people!

GAF night was great. I kind of wanted to play but I'm so bad and the striek was dominating

Vee_One

Sounds a lot like me, I just got placed in to silver. Try scouting the map, upgrading your comm centre to orbital commands and adding hellions early (especially against Zerg), Siege Tanks, Widow Mines and Vikings. Make sure you get your upgrades as well. Watch some pro players on husky or the like to pick up some new strats and ideas. Is working for me so far.

Edit: phone post

SamuraiX-

Cant really go wrong with Marines, Marauders, and Medivacs. Or just marines and medivacs. Or just marines. Always more marines.

Can't go wrong following this advice.

profit

OK, finally got around to doing my placement matches, boy it was not pretty. I've been playing some 2v2 and 3v3 games but 1v1 is so different. Won 3 of my 5 placement matches and got placed in gold.

My first 3 were horrible, tried to get back into my groove on the last two. But trying to follow FilterSC's bronze to master guide, it was hard since many of my opponents had early pressure.

For reference, here are the benchmarks as zerg that I'm striving for:

Quick Reference Benchmarks
35 Drones (Including ones in production) @6 minutes
60 Drones (Including ones in production) @8 minutes
10 Combined Queen Energy @10 minutes (After next injects for each queen)

For my first replay (game 4 of my placements):

http://drop.sc/311809

39 Drones (32 plus 9 in production) @6 minutes
58 Drones (50 + 8 in production) @8 minutes (a little under)
>>10 Combined Queen Energy @10 minutes (not good on this one)

With this build I'm set to start cranking roaches at 8 minutes, but he had void ray in my base at a little under 9 minutes. Because of the 4 queens and a spore at each base I had no problem holding it off but it threw me off a bit.

For my second replay (last of my placements):

http://drop.sc/311810

This was ZvZ, and even though I try to stick to the build, I had to modify it a bit. With the large opening to my natural I knew it would be hard to hold off a lot of zerglings. But I saw he threw down his natural before me so I thought I was OK...

At the 5 minute mark I only see 4 zerglings and figure they were just scouts, but at 5:30 I see him bringing more so I have to throw down some more spines and my roach warren and gas. I didn't see banelings but I assumed they were coming so I placed my evo chambers to help wall off my natural. Sure enough, banelings came in as well as zerglings but since I had 4 queens at this point I was able to block the choke of my main and prevent the banelings from coming in and eventually the roaches finally hatched to secure victory. If he attacked earlier though, it would have been a lot harder to hold off.

I will start posting replays on losses as well asking for help if you guys don't mind. But I did so bad on my other two losses that I know what I did wrong.

That's awesome, good to see so many on there.
Oh man, I wish I could commentate on these, but I'm really not all that familliar with Zerg play. Only thing I could do was seeing how your macro or reactions are; but it seems you have that covered.
Dont stop posting replays though, I bet someone more knowledgeable then me can give you lots of pointers!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Missed GAF night... Time zonea ain't fun :(

Top Bottom