• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Rosenskjold

I have an SC2 "guest pass" code if you are interested. It seems be for Wings of Liberty, so I don't know if you will get access to HotS or not. I doubt you will. Regardless, PM me if you are interested in it.

Thanks, but it turns out I was lucky enough to get my hands on one already :)

edit: Also, what is this garbage tier league you're talking of, I'm tired of losing all the time, I wanna win :p!

I'm going to pick up Heart of the Swarm. Does the standard boxed copy have anything good in it? Like a decent manual or a nice printed tech tree like StarCraft 1 of yore? Or is just a box with a DVD?

I'm going to pick up Heart of the Swarm. Does the standard boxed copy have anything good in it? Like a decent manual or a nice printed tech tree like StarCraft 1 of yore? Or is just a box with a DVD?

Mine came with a cool case to store my WoL and HotS disks in.

ShaneB

Shane you should join the scrub league with me and monk we need more people!

GAF night was great. I kind of wanted to play but I'm so bad and the striek was dominating

Heh. Sign me up! I know I'm terrible and would love to play with other like minded folks :p

I think my biggest issue might be my lack of any sort of aggression as well. Let me build my base in peace, and you can build yours :p, until we've both got big armies and then let's destroy each other, heh. It's probably why I think I'd love that Micro/Macro stuff, let me build a base why someone else and deal with combat and aggression. Or at least stick to maybe team co-op against AI, who knows.

I would recommend checking out this series:

Bronze To Masters Episode 1 - The Basics

I'll start watching these more, and even the first vid gave me helpful pointers. Making me realize I should just bite the bullet and play with everything on low as well, where I know fps is king in RTS games. I'm playing mainly on high in the campaign and it's all fine, but in multiplayer I know it's a different beast and I get some slide shows when the crazy armies are going around.

I wanted to main Protoss as well (lazers!!!), but building marines is such a fundamental unit, lol, it seems easier to just start with Terran, and since I'm replaying WoL campaign, I guess that is what I'm use to again.

Deadman

Apollo is one of the 3 "artosis tier" commentators. Together with founding member artosis and grubby. How can you not like him?

I guess they either didn't want tasteless or he didn't want to travel. They said at the start that they would only work together whilst they built their "brand" but recently are willing to work separately.

Mairu

Is that really the whole lineup? Seems like they're short-staffed...

Love Artosis & iNcontroL but I wish they would get the message and stop bringing Apollo back.

TIL there are people who dislike Apollo. Can't wait for Apollo+Artosis cast, great lineup

I'm sick and tired of Day-9. I think I'd be more into his commenting if I actually saw a video of him playing SC2. Has he ever released anything of him actually playing the game???

profit

Allright, I'm postive my girlfriend has a built in Starcraft radar....
Ever since HoTS came out, I did not play my placement matches because my girlfriend was home everytime; and she has the habbit of starting to talk to me or ask me questions while I'm playing which just fucks up my play.
So today, she was going to drink a coffee with a friend after her classes so I thought to myself "great, finally going to play my matches".
And offcourse during every game she was calling and texting me.... So yeah I played horrible, and got placed in Silver again -_- FFS I was finally starting out of that division!
She doesnt do it on purpose, but damn I'm pretty upset right now, especially since I won 3 of the 5 matches....
Oh well, time to grind the ladder again.

Sorry for the rant, I really just wanted to atleast stay in gold....

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I'm sick and tired of Day-9. I think I'd be more into his commenting if I actually saw a video of him playing SC2. Has he ever released anything of him actually playing the game???
Ya. Hots beta he streamed playing people. My big issue with Day9 is that he really isn't analytical anymore, he just yells loud and makes noises during casts.

It's more entertaining to more people I guess but not for me.

What about him are you sick of and why would seeing him play effect that? I like Day9 a lot but I'm not biggest fan of his play by play when casting. He kind of loses it when the action gets intense and you get a lot of "OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!"

zargle

Allright, I'm postive my girlfriend has a built in Starcraft radar....
Ever since HoTS came out, I did not play my placement matches because my girlfriend was home everytime; and she has the habbit of starting to talk to me or ask me questions while I'm playing which just fucks up my play.
So today, she was going to drink a coffee with a friend after her classes so I thought to myself "great, finally going to play my matches".
And offcourse during every game she was calling and texting me.... So yeah I played horrible, and got placed in Silver again -_- FFS I was finally starting out of that division!
She doesnt do it on purpose, but damn I'm pretty upset right now, especially since I won 3 of the 5 matches....
Oh well, time to grind the ladder again.

Sorry for the rant, I really just wanted to atleast stay in gold....

Yeah, I went 3 for 5 and placed silver as well. Only took about 6 games to get back into gold though, so dont worry too much.

Ya. Hots beta he streamed playing people. My big issue with Day9 is that he really isn't analytical anymore, he just yells loud and makes noises during casts.

It's more entertaining to more people I guess but not for me.

Definitely has gotten more annoying for me as time has gone on. I also noticed at MLG that he would say the wrong players name once or twice a game. Which shouldn't bother me, but did for some reason.

pringles

Getting this game to work is a pain. Had a lot of trouble installing it, it kept saying "error reading file" or somesuch, but after some digging around on forums I found a solution. Now I can start the game but after a few minutes or so the entire screen turns to wacky colors, I can keep playing for maybe a minute, then the PC crashes. Not sure if it's a problem with my system only, or what..

f0rk

Liking Swarm Host + Hydra against Protoss, once I move out and set up a contain the deathball can't profitably attack me and I get to control the map and just sit on him for the rest of the game. Although everyone I've played has been pretty passive early on.

Also the stupid skins annoy me, dude had purplish Zealots and it was distracting I didn't know if they were special or something.

profit

Yeah, I went 3 for 5 and placed silver as well. Only took about 6 games to get back into gold though, so dont worry too much.

You know, its not the placement that bothers me, its mostly that whenever I try to play a few matches, there's always someone that needs to talk to me, ask me questions or whatever.
Guess thats part of being an adult :).

zargle

You know, its not the placement that bothers me, its mostly that whenever I try to play a few matches, there's always someone that needs to talk to me, ask me questions or whatever.
Guess thats part of being an adult :).

Looks like its time for some 2 am starcraft then.

I guess the upside is that if you ever need to get in contact with the gf all you have to do is start a game.

Draft

InControl is my favorite caster. i'm glad he's so awful at playing and doesn't compete much; more time for casting.

profit

Looks like its time for some 2 am starcraft then.

I guess the upside is that if you ever need to get in contact with the gf all you have to do is start a game.

I wish, but I get up at 5.30 am every morning, so late night playing is a no go for me....
And contact is not something we lack, we live together btw :).

zargle

I wish, but I get up at 5.30 am every morning, so late night playing is a no go for me....
And contact is not something we lack, we live together btw :).

well fine, if you're going to keep shooting down my solutions, I shall stop offering them ;)

zargle

Oh sorry didnt mean it like that! I appreciate that you offer your help!

I know you didnt, I was teasing. Cmon, lets brainstorm some more ideas. What if you make your girlfriend a large turkey dinner? Wait no, that might backfire and make you sleepy as well.

Welp, looks like youre just gonna have to get her playing as well. Become the greatest 2v2 team the world has seen. Or even better, one of you handles the keyboard and the other the mouse. Like the worst version of micro/macro ever.

profit

I know you didnt, I was teasing. Cmon, lets brainstorm some more ideas. What if you make your girlfriend a large turkey dinner? Wait no, that might backfire and make you sleepy as well.

Welp, looks like youre just gonna have to get her playing as well. Become the greatest 2v2 team the world has seen. Or even better, one of you handles the keyboard and the other the mouse. Like the worst version of micro/macro ever.

Haha! Thanks for the laughs, made my evening a bit better!
Not to shoot another suggestion down, but letting her learn the game is a baaaaaaaad idea. If there is one person who cant stand loosing, its her. Well, her entire family; its always fun to play a game or go bowling with the family, at the end of the evening, everyone is pissed off ^^.

zargle

Haha! Thanks for the laughs, made my evening a bit better!
Not to shoot another suggestion down, but letting her learn the game is a baaaaaaaad idea. If there is one person who cant stand loosing, its her. Well, her entire family; its always fun to play a game or go bowling with the family, at the end of the evening, everyone is pissed off ^^.

Wait, I didn't know you and Yoshi were a couple.

;)

Got placed into silver :( I was Gold in WoL. I won 4/5 of my placement matches and 3 of the players were gold. Ahh guess I gotta work my way up again.

he is a nice smug guy and knows his shit

Nah, he doesn't. I watched many GSL games and don't remember the last time he said anything worth listening to. His entire casting is basically asking Artosis questions on what he thinks of the situation, fumbling over his words or simply agreeing with Artosis. He is dead weight.

I honestly wish he would be replaced in the GSL with someone like Apollo.

I always assumed he was taking a cue from actual sports broadcasting and asking Artosis questions for the audience's benefit. Artosis is more analytical and definitely knows his shit, maybe more than any other caster, but I never took Tasteless as someone who wasn't very aware of what was happening.

Zzoram

I always assumed he was taking a cue from actual sports broadcasting and asking Artosis questions for the audience's benefit. Artosis is more analytical and definitely knows his shit, maybe more than any other caster, but I never took Tasteless as someone who wasn't very aware of what was happening.

Tasteless is the best caster for people new to the game. He asks Artosis noob questions so Artosis can explain it to the audience. Tasteless already knows the answer to the questions but asks them for the audience.

Top Bottom