• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Igaunt35

Neo Member
I always assumed he was taking a cue from actual sports broadcasting and asking Artosis questions for the audience's benefit. Artosis is more analytical and definitely knows his shit, maybe more than any other caster, but I never took Tasteless as someone who wasn't very aware of what was happening.

This is correct and tasteless has said as much in interviews. Anyone who says tasteless doesn't know what he's talking about doesn't know what they're talking about.

Lord Phol

So I've been watching Apollos revamped zerg tutorials and they are great for the most part, though I feel like I'm missing some basic knowledge while watching them. For example he's using some waypoint system across his hatcheries, the minerals and different parts of the map, changing them every know and then.
What's that all about and how does one do that?

profit

So I've been watching Apollos revamped zerg tutorials and they are great for the most part, though I feel like I'm missing some basic knowledge while watching them. For example he's using some waypoint system across his hatcheries, the minerals and different parts of the map, changing them every know and then.

People in here were discussing it a few pages ago.
Basically, you can "hotkey" locations on your map. I think its a function key in combination with shift or ctrl standard (could be wrong). It works the say as any control group, you just press the function key you bound it too and you jump to that location. As a Zerg you can use it for your bases, so you can quickly jump to any base you want and inject. Its pretty good for your macro.

Son1x

Basically, you can "hotkey" locations on your map. I think its a function key in combination with shift or ctrl standard (could be wrong). It works the say as any control group, you just press the function key you bound it too and you jump to that location. As a Zerg you can use it for your bases, so you can quickly jump to any base you want and inject. Its pretty good for your macro.

Yea, they are F5-F8 by default, I believe. Ctrl+F5 to save location, then F5 to jump to that location.

Basically how I inject. Take the queen group and hold v while changing locations and injecting hatcheries.

Draft

Waypoints. Select a building then right click somewhere on the map. Hatcheries have two waypoints; one for the workers and one for every other kind of unit.

There isn't a way to dynamically set a control group of the same unit so every time a unit of that type is created it is automatically added to that control group, is there?

f0rk

There isn't a way to dynamically set a control group of the same unit so every time a unit of that type is created it is automatically added to that control group, is there?

No. I think the best way for Zerg to handle it is control click the eggs when you make them and add them to your group at that point.

Lord Phol

Waypoints. Select a building then right click somewhere on the map. Hatcheries have two waypoints; one for the workers and one for every other kind of unit.

Yeah this was exactly what I was wondering, he's changing them around and linking them together so fast I barely understood what was going on. Did not know about there being two waypoints for hatcheries, that information helps alot, thanks!

Yea, they are F5-F8 by default, I believe. Ctrl+F5 to save location, then F5 to jump to that location.

Basically how I inject. Take the queen group and hold v while changing locations and injecting hatcheries.

This will also serve me well, thanks for the responds!

Ketch

Newb question. If I have 3 zerglings selected can I send all 3 to different locations with out unselecting them?

I thought I've seen people do this to send two lings to seperate watch towers, or spread out there overlords easily.. i could be mistaken.

@Shane. I think you should just play toss if they're the race you really like. I play zerg and I'm still able to apply the principles from the bronze to masters videos. You just have to adjust the benchmarks to make sense for your race. 50 workers by 10 minutes, and just the basic idea that macro wins games (just ask mbmonk =D), are things that you can do as any race.

mercviper

Well for zerg when you're mass macroing an army, once you've selected all the larvae and held down Z to turn them all to zerglings, you can just Shift+<Army group> to add them all to the main control group while you still have the eggs selected.

Not ideal if you're making overlords & drones in the mix, but I guess you can always make those first, and then redo the <hatchery group> -> S to select all the larvae you want to make into army.

Damn, that's where I fumble around the most, regrouping my army. I was thinking of it in terms of Terran.

Edit: oh I misread because of the zerg example used. Like Iguant35 says, pretty much just shift+# to add them as soon as they come out of the building.

I also make heavy use of rally points so I know where my army has been building up to easily grab and shift+#, or I rally them towards the enemy base if I'm attacking. Then I select and shift+# when they get near.

Igaunt35

Neo Member
Damn, that's where I fumble around the most, regrouping my army. I was thinking of it in terms of Terran.

The best way to do this as terran is to try and grab units as they come out of your production facilities.

You can add units to an already existing control group by pressing SHIFT+(control group #)

For example I keep my marines, marauders and medivacs on my first control group, so when I want to add say two marines that just came out of a barracks you can just select those two marines and hit Shift+1 to add them.

calder

Thanks Based Hot_Bid for reminding me:

Main Team
1 -
Ticon_small.png
Bang
8 -
Zicon_small.png
DongRaeGu (captain)
3 -
Ticon_small.png
Ganzi
4 -
Zicon_small.png
JKS
1 -
Zicon_small.png
KySarr(Darkstar)
6 -
Picon_small.png
MC
4 -
Ticon_small.png
sC
5 -
Picon_small.png
YongHwa
4 - Team MVP

Anti Team
5 -
Picon_small.png
First
5 -
Picon_small.png
Hurricane(Tear)
3 -
Zicon_small.png
NesTea

Did I choose my team like a guy who has never seen any SC2 ever except the last MLG? Yes. In fact, I actually debated taking Life as my captain and going total front-runner mode. :lol

f0rk

Yeah this was exactly what I was wondering, he's changing them around and linking them together so fast I barely understood what was going on. Did not know about there being two waypoints for hatcheries, that information helps alot, thanks!

This will also serve me well, thanks for the responds!

He has another 5 minute video on his channel where he explains it

The best way to do this as terran is to try and grab units as they come out of your production facilities.

You can add units to an already existing control group by pressing SHIFT+(control group #)

For example I keep my marines, marauders and medivacs on my first control group, so when I want to add say two marines that just came out of a barracks you can just select those two marines and hit Shift+1 to add them.

So SHIFT + 1 adds units to ctrl group 1? That should be helpful. I typically double click the units I want while holding shift and reassign the entire group by pressing control + number. I will have my production facilities set to follow the appropriate ctrl group by right clicking a unit in the group. 2 problems with this is, they are just following, not attack moving as I move the group around until I manually add them, and if the unit I selected for them to follow dies, I end up leaving all my reinforcements in my base until I notice what has happened.

Igaunt35

Neo Member
So SHIFT + 1 adds units to ctrl group 1? That should be helpful. I typically double click the units I want while holding shift and reassign the entire group by pressing control + number. I will have my production facilities set to follow the appropriate ctrl group by right clicking a unit in the group. 2 problems with this is, they are just following, not attack moving as I move the group around until I manually add them, and if the unit I selected for them to follow dies, I end up leaving all my reinforcements in my base until I notice what has happened.

Yes any units you have selected when you press SHIFT + 1 will be added to ctrl group 1 so you don't have to do any extra commands.

What most terrans will do is just have their rally point somewhere at their natural or their third base unless they're doing some sort of parade push. If you have your rally points set on a unit and that unit dies the rally will be erased and then before you realize it you have a bunch of units standing around in your base doing nothing.

It certainly isn't easy to be doing everything you need to be doing at once while constantly adding new units to your control groups and I still struggle with it sometimes even in masters but it is something that you will get better at over time.

Yes any units you have selected when you press SHIFT + 1 will be added to ctrl group 1 so you don't have to do any extra commands.

What most terrans will do is just have their rally point somewhere at their natural or their third base unless they're doing some sort of parade push. If you have your rally points set on a unit and that unit dies the rally will be erased and then before you realize it you have a bunch of units standing around in your base doing nothing.

It certainly isn't easy to be doing everything you need to be doing at once while constantly adding new units to your control groups and I still struggle with it sometimes even in masters but it is something that you will get better at over time.

Easy solution: Hold shift when rallying, you can rally to multiple points/units... so multiple units in a single group in case the unit you initially rallied to dies.

Rosenskjold

Easy solution: Hold shift when rallying, you can rally to multiple points/units... so multiple units in a single group in case the unit you initially rallied to dies.

Wow, this is gonna help me out immensely! I always tried to guess which units was least likely to die :p

StayDead

Another thing is always shift click your rally outside your nat/main choke before ralllying onto units or you may end up with units stood around by your production facilities.

Yeah, i typically rally units in my natural until I'm read to push out. That's when I rally to a unit. Managing that stuff is only of my many issue but it's a big one that costs me.

Wow, I did not realize you could do that. That will save me some grief. Thanks for tips guys!

Another thing is always shift click your rally outside your nat/main choke before ralllying onto units or you may end up with units stood around by your production facilities.

Another thing I never thought of.

Been going through the WoL campaign again to get the Armory and Mercenary achievements. I've also been wanting to get the Normal achievement, but boy The Gates of Hell was a pain. Going for Belly of the Beast next, and I'm a little anxious about All In.

Wow, this is gonna help me out immensely! I always tried to guess which units was least likely to die :p

I would LOVE to say I knew this since the game came out. I'd also love to say that I discovered this secret on my own by accident and it stired some sort of revelation...

The truth? I found out watching Husky Starcraft about a month or two ago when he accidentally found out about it watching some pro's stream.

So I try and pass on that nugget whenever I see anyone mention anything related to rallying issues... makes everyone's life easier.

Yes yes, this is also very useful.

Protein

Banned
What the fuck man. I purchased the retail for $40 + tax + the long drive to GameStop and I just barely hear that there's a $20 digital upgrade copy? I paid for the retail so I could install it from the disc yet it forces me to download the damn game with my shitty internet connection. Get fucked Blizzard.

Miletius

What the fuck man. I purchased the retail for $40 + tax + the long drive to GameStop and I just barely hear that there's a $20 digital upgrade copy? I paid for the retail so I could install it from the disc yet it forces me to download the damn game with my shitty internet connection. Get fucked Blizzard.

Uh, the upgrade is $40.00, but there is an optional upgrade to the digital deluxe for either $60 or $20 if you bought HoTS already.

There isn't a $20 WoL to HotS upgrade option.

There is an upgrade from the standard edition to the Digital Deluxe edition for $20.

Mairu

hots is $40 digital or retail (or $60 for digital deluxe edition, maybe that's what you heard about in regards to the $20 upgrade)

edit: I am the king of late! that's what I get for opening a tab, walking away from my desk, then coming back and replying

http://open.dreamhack.se/news/86-casters-hosts.html

Casters/hosts announced for the next dreamhack. Apollo, artosis, incontrol, take, adebisi observing. Great lineup.

We'll get Apollo/Artosis aka the best casting duo, I approve.

While Dreamhack always throws a great show, its a shame that they don't have the reach (or paying the players) of MLG when it comes to getting best of the best koreans from esf and kespa, the best thing we'll get is 3-4 of those ones who are on foreign teams (your Pumas, jyps... etc) and that's it.

Tiamant

protip: when playing zerg mix some changelings in your army and rally your units to them. Doesn't work when there's too much splash but I make it usually and works great :)

Skytylz

Banned
Hmm,

GSL vs GSTL. Which one should I buy? I'm not going to have time for both so I gotta choose.

You should watch Proleague. That's the main Korean competition I watch currently. Definitely had the most exciting play near the end of Wings. I'm excited to see how HotS goes for them.

FluxWaveZ

My stats after 200 matches:
nhtIPdYl.jpg

Guess it should be normal to have a 50% w/l rate because of the system.

Matches against Terrans are never fun.

Vaporak

It was there, in spirit.

Thanks ill try checking it out.

If you're wondering about what to buy and considering Proleague, realize that Proleague is only 5 dollars for way more content than either the GSL or GSTL. It's like 6 months of matches or something crazy like that, great value.

I payed for proleague when it first started but one of the full time commentators was more than I could handle. Are they still using the same guys? One of them was fine, the other was exceptionally bad, I thought.

Top Bottom