• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

I'm watching Grubby's stream on my iPad and I'm blown away by how clear it is and it's running at 60 fps. I'm still blown away by 60fps HD streams. Internet, how far you've come.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm watching Grubby's stream on my iPad and I'm blown away by how clear it is and it's running at 60 fps. I'm still blown away by 60fps HD streams. Internet, how far you've come.
Just was I was thinking yesterday night. Got my iPad + Twitch (shitty app, but it works sometimes) and it's sexy as hell when you're looking at a good quality-stream.

Yeah if you're able to get a stream going it's fine but the navigation is a disaster. It's more likely to crash or freeze than it is to load the available channels.

GavinGT

Banned
Can someone give me a quick answer on the guest pass situation? My friend and I want to play, but he hasn't bought it and I bought the digital version (I don't think I got any guest pass codes). If he signs up for a free trial for Wings of Liberty, does that let him play HotS multiplayer too? Thanks.

Blinck

It annoys me so much that I can't get 60 fps at all times during the campaign...is this normal?
I thought this was gonna be better optimized than WOL :(

It annoys me so much that I can't get 60 fps at all times during the campaign...is this normal?
I thought this was gonna be better optimized than WOL :(

My game has went from running at 60FPS on ultra to overheating when running on low. I've stopped playing the game until it gets fixed and i won't be buying the next expansion if it stays the same.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dunno why... but I suddenly started watching Day9 play through the campaign.

Then I stopped.

antitrop

I still haven't finished the campaign, I have like 2 missions left. I'll probably bang it out tomorrow night. Overall I hold this expansion pack in very high regard, despite its massive dialogue/story flaws.

I haven't laddered yet, either. I'll get around to that eventually, I'm embarrassingly rusty.

Really enjoying this expansion a lot more than I thought I would.

Unranked is awesome. New units are pretty good on the whole, though I'm not super enamored with the Tempest yet. The Oracle is a very high skill cap unit, I love it.

Also really enjoying Swarm Host, Viper & Widow Mine. Now just delete corrupters, add Scourge, and we're good to go.

Ketch

Alright guys, so I placed Silver. Top 50 in my division, I've beaten two golds and a top 8 silver, and on top of that I have no more ladder anxiety... feels pretty good.

My build is solid, and I execute well... as long as there's no early pressure. So (obviously) I need to learn how to deal with early pressure.

Here's two matches, one where I loose to early reapers, and one where I win to early hellions (took a 3rd base here too!).

I guess the two biggest things I can think of to better deal with this are:

Scouting. Right now I really only scout to make sure I know where his base is. I'm so focused on macro and my build that I think if I look away to scout then my game will suffer more then it'll gain. I don't know how to scout (send a drone in duh), but I never see anything useful, and I know it would slow down my macro. It's a great way to find out he's walled off though. So any tips on easy, minimum micro, effective scouting? Things to look for?

and the 2nd thing is just being more flexible in my build I guess. Like on his reaper play... well maybe his reaper play is a bad example, I was pretty screwed... but when he's in my base and I'm trying to get my drones out of there, I'm thinking "I need to build something to defend this, but I don't want to screw up my macro" and out pops lings and another spine crawler even though they aren't making any difference. I don't know, I'd like to think I made the right choice in that situation and he was just better then me. Any body want to be my practice partner and try to cheese me over and over?

I do know that I'm not gonna change my build unless there's a really really good reason.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Just finished the jungle planet and I'm actually really enjoying the story so far. I guess I'm a metzen fan? Cheesy dialogue but it's a fun story imo.

I really liked seeing the zergs origins.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished the jungle planet and I'm actually really enjoying the story so far.

When you're done with Heart of the Swarm, I recommend:

goosebumps.jpg

Holden

Strong talk from someone who wont get the game and too scared to get on steam :p

Im still playing as it is WoL lol -.-''

I'm sorry i'm not buying a game i won't play;; damn consumers society

and i'm not home, so i'm not on steam

dota is just a superior game

Made it to gold 1v1. Went 3-2 and lost a really close game PvZ. Really great game. The other games were pretty one sided.

Love the Oracle. One game I went 1 base oracle against 1 base terran who ended up going banshee. Oracle detection saved my ass.

Guys what options affect performance the most? Or what can I lower/disable without loosing to much eyecandy :) Am on Ultra right now (recommended) but during some larger battles it drops down to 30-40 fps

Spec:

3570 @ 4.5 GHz
8GB RAM
560 Ti @ stock
Vsync on
Antialiasing: off

Also is the game CPU or GPU heavy?

Blinck

Guys what options affect performance the most? Or what can I lower/disable without loosing to much eyecandy :) Am on Ultra right now (recommended) but during some larger battles it drops down to 30-40 fps

Spec:

3570 @ 4.5 GHz
8GB RAM
560 Ti @ stock
Vsync on
Antialiasing: off

Also is the game CPU or GPU heavy?

The game is supposedly CPU heavy.
Honestly I think that the game is terribly optimized. Your system should be able to destroy the game.

Are you playing campaign or multiplayer?

I also get very bad framerate during the campaign, specially on missions like The Crucible. I still need to test more the multi.

Yoshichan

Yeah HotS is badly optimized. Multiplayer is good though.

Paz

I just changed from an ati 6950 to an nvidia 670 and now I get horrible frame rate drops when using guardian shield or time warp on some maps :/

Never had a problem before, and I play on low settings so I get 100+ fps in all other circumstances, anybody with a similar issue? I'm running the latest drivers from Nvidias site.

Yoshichan

Feels so good just playing this game... I've still got that "fresh" feeling, despite playing so much.

Just finished the campaign and thought it was fantastic. I don't know if everyone lowered my expectations for the story or what but I enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing or anything but it was good. For instance, I found it hard to relate to playing zerg and getting that feeling of YEA LETS DO THIS in the past but this story made me feel that way.

Anyways, really fun missions can't really think of a one that I didn't enjoy. Whereas WoL had a few missions that I wasn't too fond of. Time to do some multiplayer! Been a while since I've played. Time to get crushed :(

LiK

just did some training to get used to MP style again. still damn rusty and i don't even remember all the hotkeys

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I think the thing that I liked the best in the campaign is that you truly feel like the mass unit "swarm" that everybody always imagines for Zerg. It's just so satisfying to spawn a bajillion units out of a single hatch. I hit 200/200 supply in the campaign all the time, something that didn't happen quite so often in WoL's campaign.

Blinck

I just changed from an ati 6950 to an nvidia 670 and now I get horrible frame rate drops when using guardian shield or time warp on some maps :/

Never had a problem before, and I play on low settings so I get 100+ fps in all other circumstances, anybody with a similar issue? I'm running the latest drivers from Nvidias site.

I have the same card so I can test it if you want. Is it on specific maps? Let me know the circumstances in which this is happening.

Also, LOVING the campaign! I should be close to the end. I really like the approach to have a constant hero unit on this one, it's really awesome.
Zerg units are so fun * . * ALMOST makes me want to go Zerg for the multiplayer..

How is ZvZ these days? It was my least favorite match-up, and probably the reason I didn't play zerg

I think the thing that I liked the best in the campaign is that you truly feel like the mass unit "swarm" that everybody always imagines for Zerg. It's just so satisfying to spawn a bajillion units out of a single hatch. I hit 200/200 supply in the campaign all the time, something that didn't happen quite so often in WoL's campaign.

Very true. It's been a while but I feel like in the WoL campaign I was always being rushed and not allowed to max out my army. I'm a kind of single player guy that loves to amass a gigantic army and just stomp on the enemy. I'd imagine everyone is though. Can't wait for the void!..... in 3 years.

Yoshichan

I have a feeling LotV will take even longer to make than HotS :(

Deadman

Played some 2v2 with my friend. I got burrow fast and put some banelings under a watchtower. Must have killed 40 marines lol.

Top Bottom