• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

MYE

When you're done with Heart of the Swarm, I recommend:

goosebumps.jpg

Hey that book was awesome

StayDead

I've been having some crazy sick games recently where I'm basically dead but somehow hold on long enough to push myself back into a win late game. Mech feels so much more like BW and I'm not sure why, maybe it's because Hellbats allow me to be stronger defensively than i could before? I've found TvZ especially (not on small maps) it's so much stronger to just go around attacking places while his slow army (if they go broodlords) tries to either attack my main or chase me.

Neo Planet S is probably my favourite map mech wise, the main isn't super droppable by Terran, Broodlords are too slow to move around it and TvP there's some really nice 2-2 timings I've found as a lot of Diamond tosses like to take an early third and try and tech straight up as they think I can't attack. Man I love HoTS <3

BurningNad

Started playing again after 2 years and I just hate being so bad. I was never really good in the beginning and that's pretty much what caused me to stop playing. But I bought the expansion and have been playing with a buddy of mine against AI. I'm watching that Bronze to Master League series of videos and they're definitely helping. I just need to put the time into it.

Going to (finally) finish the WoL campaign, with a few AI matches here and there so I don't get too used to the campaign units, then finish the HotS stuff, then finally dive in against people. I hate when games get me this anxious about going online. :p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just lost to a Zerg who built more Mutas than I had expected and harassed the shit out of me with them. He was focusing down turrets and shit. Man, what a pain in the ass to deal with. He was on 2 base for 3/4ths of the match and I just couldn't stabilize. So frustrating because if I didn't have to worry about the Mutas, I was winning for sure. Finally I push out and he rolls through my shit with Banes. My army got crushed.

Gold league. Tough to fight Mutas and macro at the same time.

How does toss deal with mutas in this game, btw? I love Phoenixes but unlike with Corsairs, 8 Phoenix vs. 24 Muta is asking to get slaughtered.

Blink stalker isn't mobile enough sometimes, archon is definitely not mobile enough.

I had a crazy long PvZ where I FE'd vs a 9 pool and held it off well, but eventually I lost because mutas contained me in my base long enough that he was able to macro up again. Everytime I moved out the mutas would come and I was basically forced to either gamble my main or nat vs his 3rd- and he could always bring the mutas back after killing some shit- or, stay home and try to hold him off.

The other answer I thought of is Storm, but I don't feel confident at all in Storm vs Muta this game with how much less clumped the mutas are, and the generally faster nature of movement.

V_Arnold

FieryBalrog: going a few phoenixes first acts as a great deterrant for Z to never go Muta in the first place, if you are in a position to be able to go down that route.

You can manage P vs Mutas to a great extent after you learn how to avoid them - you have better speed and range after all, but you really need to watch out for their movement changes and avoid getting "cornered" by them.

Storm vs muta is not good anymore, since Mutas regen their hp too fast for it to have a real effect.

Ketch

I'm doing great against people in my league, but for some reason the matchmaking feels the need match me against plat or diamond players.. I guess there's only one way to learn.

Just had my first Hard AI victory. I'm movin on up!

YES! /Tiger woods fist pump Awesome.

I need some real help. Not sure what the problem is with my play.
I placed Silver for 1v1 and I keep losing. TvT and TvZ are looking really ugly!

Chris R

Did two placement matches (won both, but I still suck) and two missions.

Bunch of fun! Going to be working on my build order, but so far I've done not terrible (IE not dying in under 10 mins). Oracles are so much fun when your opponent doesn't move probes away while it is killing things :D

Also, how do I make the cinematic not look like shit for the campaign? Playing at highest settings for everything else...

Ketch

If there's other people in bronze/silver/gold who want to get together for practice matches PM me, we're trying to get more people for the "scrub league".

f0rk

Still have a problem with ladder anxiety, but I'm finding the games against passive opponents quite easy. Just when they attack me before I have 2 bases saturated and lair tech I fall apart. Looking at the macro of the people that do attack I'm confident I could win and get above gold if I defend the attacks.

Goddamn they keep retconing all the progress made in the story every release. The same old tired revenge angle can only be repeated so many times. They completely undid everything that happened in brood war, now we are back to almost the same situation again.

Blinck

Hey guys, any recommendations of a specific Protoss player or maybe some VOD's for some really cool Air-Toss builds? How viable are they at this point?

Still have a problem with ladder anxiety, but I'm finding the games against passive opponents quite easy. Just when they attack me before I have 2 bases saturated and lair tech I fall apart. Looking at the macro of the people that do attack I'm confident I could win and get above gold if I defend the attacks.
Yeah the hardest part for gold/plat level zerg is knowing when to stop droning and start making units and what units. Scouting and map control is more important for zerg than the other races i find at this level.

Aylinato

Hey guys, any recommendations of a specific Protoss player or maybe some VOD's for some really cool Air-Toss builds? How viable are they at this point?

Don't watch white-RA he is awful with air micro/macro.

He's good with everything else though.

calder

Ugh, was liking playing matchmaking against the AI but I just got destroyed twice by the Harder terran. I'm just so lazy in my play I can't adjust to the Harder's 3 base bio/tank push. I've been working on my macro so I'm trying to get to 3 bases instead of doing my usual bronze-league 3 rax 1 base all in.

My slow, lazy 3 base bio play works great against protoss and zerg Harder AI, but terran just wrecks it. My big bio ball gets just shredded by like 8 widow mines with tanks while I'm trying to push through his bio. Guess it's time to adjust and put pressure and not just dick around to late game and win with BCs. :)

Aaron

You're probably better off focusing on a two base strat marine and tanks with upgrades. If you keep a steady army production, you should hold off any AI pushes.

Ketch

So, I just beat this guy: NeonNoodle He's fricken masters terran 1v1... GUYS.. I JUST BEAT A MASTER. Me, lowly silver srub league'r. Shut. the. front. door. GUYS!

This is the best match of starcraft I've ever played:

http://drop.sc/312812

Edit: Notice his trash talk in the beginning and then his lack of a GG at the end!!! Feels sooooooo good. I'm gonna send it to Day 9.

Edit 2: Oh man I just want to keep talking about this. I said to myself: I'm gonna make Banelings, and I did it. And then I said I'm gonna build Ultras and I did that too. and then I destroyed him. De-stroyed.

LiK

So, I just beat this guy: NeonNoodle He's fricken masters terran 1v1... GUYS.. I JUST BEAT A MASTER. Me, lowly silver srub league'r. Shut. the. front. door. GUYS!

Edit: Notice his trash talk in the beginning and then his lack of a GG at the end!!! Feels sooooooo good. I'm gonna send it to Day 9.

Edit 2: Oh man I just want to keep talking about this. I said to myself: I'm gonna make Banelings, and I did it. And then I said I'm gonna build Ultras and I did that too. and then I destroyed him. De-stroyed.

saw you in the chat. what scrub league were you mentioning about? lemme know if you wanna do 3v3 games with a scrub, heh

Striek

Haha congrats, the smack-talk was cute.

Can't help but feel you got a teensy bit lucky attacking his natural when his army left sight-unseen. Also it blows my mind that guy is in Masters based on that replay. But still, a wins a win.

Ketch

Can't help but feel you got a teensy bit lucky attacking his natural when his army left sight-unseen. Also it blows my mind that guy is in Masters based on that replay. But still, a wins a win.

Yea I know, I didn't even think anything of it at the time. Honestly, I A-moved to his natural and wasn't even watching when it happened. LOL, Don't care! I win.

Did you see the banelings fucking melt his army!? I bet he wasn't expecting that to happen.

Sent it to Day9's newbietuesday email, I doubt he'll show it.

saw you in the chat. what scrub league were you mentioning about? lemme know if you wanna do 3v3 games with a scrub, heh

No, it's not a tournament or anything, it's just me and a couple other GAFers who aren't very good playing practice matches against each other. Just friendly games, no stress, no big woops or anything. But, maybe I'll have to move on to the MOTHER F'N PROS SINCE I'M SO DAMN GOOD!!!!! Just ask neonoodle.

This game makes my graphics cards (GTX 580x2) cry for no reason. Heating up and kicking the fans on like crazy, annoying as hell. Close to playing on Low settings just because of the noise.

Paz

I have the same card so I can test it if you want. Is it on specific maps? Let me know the circumstances in which this is happening.

Also, LOVING the campaign! I should be close to the end. I really like the approach to have a constant hero unit on this one, it's really awesome.
Zerg units are so fun * . * ALMOST makes me want to go Zerg for the multiplayer..

How is ZvZ these days? It was my least favorite match-up, and probably the reason I didn't play zerg

Thanks for this, I'll send you a PM when I get some time to make a 100% repro case.

Wunder

:[ having my games freeze up randomly and have the audio/game still going but my screen is frozen. Force to alt-f4 out of games T__T

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
finally beat the campaign, loved it. and i noticed that they changed that ending significantly from the leaked one and i dug the changes. consider me psyched for the lotv campaign.
im hoping sarah turns human again and her and jim have a hot make out sesh

Hesemonni

Banned
Just finished the campaign...Warcraft 3, still the best SP campaign in a Blizzard game.

So, Legacy of the Void in December 2015?

mbmonk

Congrats!

iynCsXZR3nUrq.gif

You're an official nerd baller now man.

good job!

=D

How do friends lists across servers with in this game? Do I needed to give out my email?

Each server is separate, so different friends lists.

Won

Missed the beginning of the game, so I have no idea how the players ended up in that situation, but that was an interesting play by TLO. Good to see Swarm Hosts winning.

Aaron

Missed the beginning of the game, so I have no idea how the players ended up in that situation, but that was an interesting play by TLO. Good to see Swarm Hosts winning.
I was really enjoying that match until twitch decided to die.

Top Bottom