• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT3| GL HF NO GG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think I would even be on that list since I stopped playing long time ago and usually skip over posts relating to builds and trying to get better.

Last thread was fun, hopefully this one will be as well and not like the first one which was half crying about the story and the other crying about balance.

both were justifiable

Keikaku

Elcheris said:
By the time OT4 starts I expect you all to be in masters!

I'm aiming for Diamond this Season, Masters next Season, Grandmasters the Season after that. It would be awesome to be one of the top 200 players in NA ^_^

Elcheris

Neo Member
Keikaku said:
I'm aiming for Diamond this Season, Masters next Season, Grandmasters the Season after that. It would be awesome to be one of the top 200 players in NA ^_^

Yeah I wanted to aim for top 200 by the end of the summer....Too bad work/school has gotten in the way of that so far =(

Aylinato

Keikaku said:
I aim for 250 team wins or 750 Protoss

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A NEW BEGINNING.

Hello guys, Yoshichan here!
Void Insanity said:
That and Yoshi smashing things.
You've mistaken me for someone else.

V_Arnold

ultron87 said:
That pleasant of a greeting on ladder would just make me think that you are 6 pooling.

Nah, I rarely chesse, unless you count some proxy hatch pressure to early exp P's who try to not only exp first, but also pylon-deny my exp AND neglect to scout their own main properly :p Other than that, that greeting only backfires when I lose miserably and enrage :(

MedIC86

Does anyone have some motivational tips for me ? (let me explain)

I really like SC2 a lot, a friend of mine plays in the Master league, and he is really good, i like watching him play and talk about the game. I also enjoy watching the vods from the big competitions etc. But when i start playing myself, oh men i suck so bad at this game. I have read various very good guides, watched movies on youtube etc. I know that the real way to improve is to play a lot, but i find it hard to motivate myself to play +/- 200 games or something to "get better". And some people find it weird to need motivation to play a "game" but i know games like SC2 require a lot of practish to get better.

So does anyone have some tips to so to speak "to bite trough" ?

ksan

too tired to play :(
and I haven't even bought the GSL/GSTL season tickets, so uncharacteristic of me...

but I'm up to party cause of OT3!

Keikaku

MedIC86 said:

I really like SC2 a lot, a friend of mine plays in the Master league, and he is really good, i like watching him play and talk about the game. I also enjoy watching the vods from the big competitions etc. But when i start playing myself, oh men i suck so bad at this game. I have read various very good guides, watched movies on youtube etc. I know that the real way to improve is to play a lot, but i find it hard to motivate myself to play +/- 200 games or something to "get better". And some people find it weird to need motivation to play a "game" but i know games like SC2 require a lot of practish to get better.

It depends. Personally, I play at least 2 1v1 games a day. I guess that does qualify as "a lot" of games over time, but it never really seems odious to me. 2 games rarely takes me over 40 minutes and I learn a lot in those games.

I would say that you just need to play, even if it's only a little bit. Join the NeoGAF chat channel, join us on Mumble, ask for practice partners. We'll all be happy to help. Also, don't be afraid to race switch if you like. If you don't enjoy playing the game due to something not clicking with one of the races, don't be afraid to try out the others.

SC2 is just like any other game or activity-you do need practice to be good at it. That said, it doesn't have to be boring or repetitive. Have fun!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i kinda feel like a dick liquidtyler with all you guys practicing so hard and me just doing 1v1 obs with holden every few days. -.-

especially with the tourney coming up. i should ramp it up.

Elcheris

Neo Member
MedIC86 said:

One good thing to do is set a number of games per day (or every other day) that you force yourself to play. This may sound like it wouldnt be fun, but eventually you should be finding yourself just wanting to play more and more. Another important thing to do is try and stick to one style per matchup, this way you have to worry less about overall strategy and you can focus on the mechanics a bit more. Once again, this may not sound super fun, but with this game improvement is such a great feeling that it is totally worth it to focus in on certain strategies and sticking with them.

Other than that, who cares how much you suck. Youll be playing equally sucky people, there is nowhere to go but up!

hoverX

Keikaku said:
Wish I had this drive. I've got too much going on to focus on playing. I'd be happy to make it to silver or gold

Spl1nter

Pandaman said:
i kinda feel like a dick liquidtyler with all you guys practicing so hard and me just doing 1v1 obs with holden every few days. -.-

damn what am i then?

I've been playing terribly the past couple of days and I am not entirely sure why.

I am staying at my girl's place but brought my keyboard and mouse. her laptop is quite beefy but something just doesn't feel right... at least that's what I choose to blame for now. weird.

V_Arnold

When I was a bronze/silver for a week maybe in Beta, I made a promise myself to improve to Diamond until end of S1. Finished that as Diamond. Now, I want to become master until end of S2. Seems possible so far, I just need this exam period to get over with :p

cdyhybrid

Garryk said:
I just got SC2 and wanted to know what are some good podcasts, guides, videos, etc. to check out.

Also, is GAF night still pretty active/noob friendly?

Day9's videos, TL's forums, and this thread are all you'll really need. Haven't been to GAF night but I believe it is open to everyone.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
V_Arnold said:
When I was a bronze/silver for a week maybe in Beta, I made a promise myself to improve to Diamond until end of S1. Finished that as Diamond. Now, I want to become master until end of S2. Seems possible so far, I just need this exam period to get over with :p
were you ever in copper?

we need more people who have made the full climb up the ladder into masters. :p

Elcheris

Neo Member
Pandaman said:

You are already dead (eliminated)!

Keikaku

Pandaman said:
were you ever in copper?

we need more people who have made the full climb up the ladder into masters. :p

I was pretty low in Bronze (I want to say around rank 60 in my league), but I was never in the beta, so I never saw Copper league.

hoverX

Garryk said:
I just got SC2 and wanted to know what are some good podcasts, guides, videos, etc. to check out.

Also, is GAF night still pretty active/noob friendly?
Went to my first gaf night last week. Very noob friendly.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
zlatko said:
I beat YoshiChan by 3 posts in the last one. *pelvic thrust* into *cabbage patch* into *shoryuken motion*

:D
I blame my emo period.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pandaman said:

Neigh. You should play more TF2 with me.

jersoc

V_Arnold said:
BTW I must be the only person on earth who types the whole "Hi, have a good game!" out between 9 supply drone and the first overlord :p

i always say gl, but i'm really just saying that to me since i'll need the luck.

MedIC86 said:

Like been said, play at least 1 game a day. Odds are you'll play another. You win, you feel great and jump back in! You lose, well maybe I'll nab my ladder points back and call it day.

Also, no one likes losing. So what helped for me was force yourself into thinking that you didn't lose, but got a learning experience. go through your replay and see if you were behind in drones, unit count whatever and try to fix that.

Yoshichan

Here's my award list for the last thread:

Cutest & Most Awesome Awesome Animals
Sexiest: Corran Horn
Hottest: Zlatko
Most stylish: Hazaro
God damn you and your ponies: Panda
What the fuck is going on here: V_Arnold
FUCK YOU I'M PLAYING THE GAME DON'T PM ME: Q8D3vil
Haunted title: Haunted

AND THE WINNER OF LAST THREAD IS...
ME, of course. What did you expect?

Garryk

cdyhybrid said:
Day9's videos, TL's forums, and this thread are all you'll really need. Haven't been to GAF night but I believe it is open to everyone.
hoverX said:
Went to my first gaf night last week. Very noob friendly.

Thanks for the replies. I have been watching some of the Day9 vids. I was watching Monobattles and getting motion sickness. Do all competitive players move the screen and mouse that much?

zlatko

Banned
Honestly, I try to keep myself consistent and focused so I never say GL HF unless it's to Gaf. I don't type GG after a game, and I only type GG to Gaffers AFTER I quit out. That's just me though... I don't mean BM by it. When I'm mad I'll generally pop off and say some angry shit in chat to the guy online then rage quit out. :D

edit: Only real reason I type GL HF/GG to Gaffers is because you guys make a big explosion like its the end of the world if someone doesn't.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Yoshichan said:
Here's my award list for the last thread:

God damn you and your ponies: Panda

I see, I'm going to have to step my game up.

Sliver

So a friend from New Zealand gave me a trial key for 7 hours of play on the SEA server for a smurf. What countries does that encompass? NZ/Aus/Singapore? The only notable people I can see in GM on there is Moonglade and some FXO guys. Pretty fun nonetheless...higher rank as Protoss on there than my Zerg main.

V_Arnold

zlatko said:
Honestly, I try to keep myself consistent and focused so I never say GL HF unless it's to Gaf. I don't type GG after a game, and I only type GG to Gaffers AFTER I quit out. That's just me though... I don't mean BM by it. When I'm mad I'll generally pop off and say some angry shit in chat to the guy online then rage quit out. :D

edit: Only real reason I type GL HF/GG to Gaffers is because you guys make a big explosion like its the end of the world if someone doesn't.

You wont be more focused in the first 20 secondsi if you do not say anything. And at the end, it is something is a convention, and you do not use it, that is your choice, but that is still "kinda" BM ;)

Narag

Pankaks said:
I see, I'm going to have to step my game up.
Vb3ON.png

Yoshichan

ultron87 said:
Does typing chat messages get included in the calculation of your APM?
No.

cdyhybrid

Garryk said:
Thanks for the replies. I have been watching some of the Day9 vids. I was watching Monobattles and getting motion sickness. Do all competitive players move the screen and mouse that much?

The best ones move it faster :p Someone in Code A last night spiked up to 400 APM in one of his games, which is like 600 real APM if my Google-fu is strong. He was just spamming, so most of that wasn't actual useful APM, but it showcases their hand speed.

clav

cdyhybrid said:
The best ones move it faster :p Someone in Code A last night spiked up to 400 APM in one of his games, which is like 600 real APM if my Google-fu is strong. He was just spamming, so most of that wasn't actual useful APM, but it showcases their hand speed.
2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2

Guesong

Even so, I was wondering ; does it reaaaaaallly make a difference whether you spam APM "to warm up" at the start of the game?

I can understand if it's your first game or the day or something, but other than that?

Then again, I suppose there's not much else to do at this point anyways, so might as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom