• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Just got cannon rushed. Spotted it and lifted off. Of course it took 3 years for my barracks and Command center to make it to a different location in the map. Scouted his base and saw that he had expanded early, knew he was way way way ahead in supply and scouted a Dark Shrine too. Got myself a Raven and some units but he did a massive drop in the back of my base and that was that.

Should I be mad? lol
nope.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Well, I am lol

Just lost again to some guy. He got a bunch of siege tanks + marines and I got a bunch of marines, marauders and medivacs. Also some vikings for any medivacs he had. He crawled his way into my base with those tanks and that was that. He had like over 10 of them. WTF do I do in that situation? I have no time to build a ghost academy to get nukes and shit.

ultron87

Well, I am lol

Just lost again to some guy. He got a bunch of siege tanks + marines and I got a bunch of marines, marauders and medivacs. Also some vikings for any medivacs he had. He crawled his way into my base with those tanks and that was that. He had like over 10 of them. WTF do I do in that situation? I have no time to build a ghost academy to get nukes and shit.

If you want to super baller you get air dominance with vikings and then drop marauders on the tanks. Though obviously the marines make that more dangerous.

Or, more traditionally, just exploit the slowness of his army and drop everywhere.

Or don't go MMM vs marine tank.

Spl1nter

Well, I am lol

Find some Day9 tvt videos. Only way to really learn how to play tvt.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=304764
[Interview] ex-MBCGame Caster Kim Chul Min

With the opening of the channel "MBC Music" this coming February 1st, the 10-year old game channel, MBCGame, is set to close.

Opened in 2001 under the name "geMBC", MBCGame formed a friendly rivalry with fellow game channel OnGameNet, producing programs such as MSL and Tekken League. In the center of all this was caster Kim Chul Min. Given the duty of head commentator with the formation of the channel, he was there to witness the rise and fall of MBCGame.

Daily e-Sports met Kim at the LOOX MBCGame Hero Center, who was recording a program called "Adieu, MBCGame". Kim's eyes watered as he watched videos from over 10 years ago and his voice quietened with every spoken word.
rctqq.jpg

kcBaS.jpg

JLPFW.jpg

Well, I am lol

Don't let him walk to your base for free.

If you have your units at his base it takes 2 minutes to get to yours.

Ecto311

Well, I am lol

I have good luck with a few banshees when I start to see tanks. Just look out for scans and poke at the edges - also gives options for keeping them home/ limits expands

Tashi

<3 Thanks

A lot of this stuff makes so much sense but it never occurs to me while I'm playing. I would have wrecked with cloaked banshees man. Shit

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
<3 Thanks

A lot of this stuff makes so much sense but it never occurs to me while I'm playing. I would have wrecked with cloaked banshees man. Shit
He probably had scans, don't bank on it. Buy time with good unit positioning and scan his positions when you fall back since he has to advance his tanks. Just one time catch him off guard and you win, 1at into his base.

Jeff-DSA

<3 Thanks

Banshees will often get picked off with scans, and you've probably had to invest a lot in getting them plus cloak. It's actually better to keep forcing him to move units back home with drops or have Hellions skirt around his army and show up at his expansions.

Aylinato

Banshees will often get picked off with scans, and you've probably had to invest a lot in getting them plus cloak. It's actually better to keep forcing him to move units back home with drops or have Hellions skirt around his army and show up at his expansions.

banshees+ravens=protoss dead

Best unit in the game:

1- Ghost
2- Infestor
3- Blink Stalker
4- Marine
Everything else

I only put blink stalkers above marines because marines alone are not hot shit, but with medvacis (and in the hands of MKP I guess) they shoot all the way to #2.

Jeff-DSA

I'd trade the Ghost away for the Infestor in a heartbeat. Snipe is amazing, but fungal is just so much better than EMP and neural parasite is pretty lethal if you snag 2-3 Thors or tanks. Their mobility sucks, but the ability to burrow and not have to worry about energy to be hidden is awesome.

I don't know though, it's probably a wash when you factor in how devastating a nuke can be.

Deadman

Best unit in the game:

1- Ghost
2- Infestor
3- Blink Stalker
4- Marine
Everything else

I only put blink stalkers above marines because marines alone are not hot shit, but with medvacis (and in the hands of MKP I guess) they shoot all the way to #2.

Did you see his stream before when he was playing a marine micro trainer? Beating 44 speed banes with 40 marines on creep ezpz

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=304915

Interesting post on defenders advantage in sc2 (or the lack thereof)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Best unit in the game:

1- Ghost
2- Infestor
3- Blink Stalker
4- Marine
Everything else

i want to play on whatever muta-less region you do.

Aylinato

best units in the game

1. marine
1. medivac
2. infested marine
3. ghost(cause of nukes!)
4. infestors
5. maraduers
5. warp prism
6. tanks
7. ravens(highly under used and under appreciated)
8. high templar
8. Sentries
9. archons
9. Immortal
10. Battlecruisers
10. Thors
10. Hellions
10. reaper
10. banshee
10. Colosi(which I hate)
10. Carriers
11. viking
12. Void Rays
12. Brood Lords
12. stalkers
13. roaches
14. overlords
15. ultralisks
15. Dark Templar
16. banelings
17. muta
18. zealot
19. phoenix
20. zerglings
21. Corruptors
22. queens
23. SCV
24. Probe
25. drone
26. Mothership
27. Hydralisks

I judged based on use-fullness, speed, damage, how they actually work vs how blizzard "thinks" they work, and my own bias(I hate colosi)

hamchan

best units in the game

1. marine
1. medivac
2. infested marine
3. ghost(cause of nukes!)
4. infestors
5. maraduers
5. warp prism
6. tanks
7. ravens(highly under used and under appreciated)
8. high templar
8. Sentries
9. archons
9. Immortal
10. Battlecruisers
10. Thors
10. Hellions
10. reaper
10. banshee
10. Colosi(which I hate)
10. Carriers
11. viking
12. Void Rays
12. Brood Lords
12. stalkers
13. roaches
14. overlords
15. ultralisks
15. Dark Templar
16. banelings
17. muta
18. zealot
19. phoenix
20. zerglings
21. Corruptors
22. queens
23. SCV
24. Probe
25. drone
26. Hydralisks

I judged based on use-fullness, speed, damage, how they actually work vs how blizzard "thinks" they work, and my own bias(I hate colosi)

You forgot mothership.

Jeff-DSA

Any unit that can be an instant game ender needs a better rank. Yesterday I got 8 blue flame Hellions to the Zerg base, 4 made it into the main, 4 got to the expo. Before they even started cooking anything the guy just rage quit.

i want to play on whatever muta-less region you do.

5 mutas can't do shit while 5 ghosts/infestors can fuck up a guy's afternoon.

You need a ball of 18-20 mutas to do the same damage 8 marines with 1 medivac would do and you could very easily lose that entire stack do to an unlucky clump into a fungle or a thor shot and that's no fun, but yes if I wanted to rank the peasants tier of starcraft units (which is every unit except those 4) I would put mutas on top with Imbalots.

Aylinato

You put Ultras above DTs, Carriers and Battlecruisers on par with Hellions and Colossi. Errr, what?? How?? Whut??? o_O

DTs are good until detection, ultras are good if zerg actually got them(yes I know it takes awhile to tech to them)

Also, since you mentioned colossi, I'd put them lower, as they suck as a unit.

BCs and Carriers are under appreciated and are actually really good units.

Deadman

You need a ball of 18-20 mutas to do the same damage 8 marines with 1 medivac would do and you could very easily lose that entire stack do to an unlucky clump into a fungle or a thor shot and that's no fun, but yes if I wanted to rank the peasants tier of starcraft units (which is every unit except those 4) I would put mutas on top with Imbalots.

Hellions are top tier too, as are siege tanks.

Jeff-DSA

5 Mutas are enough to keep the enemy near their base long enough to get 10-15 Muats out. From that point they're pretty much out of control and you have to pray that they make a bad mistake and you can cut the numbers down. Once Mutas have you either splitting your armies or leaving units near your main, it gets really tough to handle Zerg.

5 Mutas are enough to keep the enemy near their base long enough to get 10-15 Muats out. From that point they're pretty much out of control and you have to pray that they make a bad mistake and you can cut the numbers down. Once Mutas have you either splitting your armies or leaving units near your main, it gets really tough to handle Zerg.

This is true. Ghosts are clearly OP, but I'm not sure 5 is a huge deal

also I just clicked on your tag and awwwwww :)

Deadman

Saw this tip for templar splitting on reddit, might be useful for the protosses here. I dont know if its already known:

<discussion about practicing marine splitting>

I did the same thing with splitting templar, I laugh in the face of emp now. You pay 75 energy to reduce 100 energy and the shields from one templar? I pay 75 energy to wreck your army.

In reality, I just know a really abusive templar split micro trick that hasn't gotten on, you basically select all your templar and spam storm on the edges of the minimap, they will all go to different directions trying to storm there, when they are split enough you just give them a stop or move command.

I suppose the same could be done with fungal and infestors too.

I'd trade the Ghost away for the Infestor in a heartbeat. Snipe is amazing, but fungal is just so much better than EMP and neural parasite is pretty lethal if you snag 2-3 Thors or tanks. Their mobility sucks, but the ability to burrow and not have to worry about energy to be hidden is awesome.

I don't know though, it's probably a wash when you factor in how devastating a nuke can be.

Using NP on a tank with the range nerf? Good luck with that.

WedgeX

Banned
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I remember who tashi reminds me of when he talks on mumble.

Its ksan!

You two are quite the entertainment...we need a team up during GAF night!

Tashi

;]

I have a question about the 1 barracks early expand build. Lately, I've been getting up one refinery on 13 like the 3 barracks build but waiting to get the 2nd one much later. This is so I can still get stim rather quickly. Am I wrong in doing that? Should I wait until like 18 or whatever like I should be?

jasonng

;]

I have a question about the 1 barracks early expand build. Lately, I've been getting up one refinery on 13 like the 3 barracks build but waiting to get the 2nd one much later. This is so I can still get stim rather quickly. Am I wrong in doing that? Should I wait until like 18 or whatever like I should be?
You typically don't get gas until after you start building your CC but I just finished watching Day9's analysis on Thorzain's opening that's really beautiful. Check it out:

http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-402-p1-stephano-vs-thorzain-epic-zvt-5899033

The last Day9 daily was pretty helpful. It made me realize something I always do that's stupid. Let's set the stage: Shattered Temple, 15 hatch against Terran. I get 4 lings and put one on the xel naga tower. Shortly after my hatch is up the ling at the tower gets killed by a Hellion

...I respond by making like 4-6 lings. Two Hellions get to my base and poke around but are driven off by the queen and spine crawler. So I wasted larvae to get lings I don't really need, now I'm low on drones.

Once the 4 hellions come out sure, it makes sense to get more lings but that early 2 Hellion poke does not warrant an overreaction.

Top Bottom