• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Striek

This guys videos are all hilarious, thanks for the link!

How do I beat terran's nasty 111 as protoss? Help me gaf! Pleease! :)
1 gate expo into robo into 4 more gates pumping immortals constantly and making the perfect ratio between zealots to tank and stalkers to deal with banshees (too many stalkers and terran can a-move everything because stalkers are terrible) and hoping terran gives you an opening. Don't be surprised if you lose to a 2rax though because you generally can't tell the difference between a 2rax and a 1/1/1 with the limited scouting you're able to get. Then theres times terran screws up and you hold the 2rax and he transitions into a 2/1/1 except now he has stim, combat shields and another powerful timing attack.

Or you know phoenix openings are always fun, hard to hold a 2rax, impossible to hold a 3rax, will probably get behind against any economical terran build but very fun to play and can do OK against a 'normal' 1/1/1.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
This guys videos are all hilarious, thanks for the link!

1 gate expo into robo into 4 more gates pumping immortals constantly and making the perfect ratio between zealots to tank and stalkers to deal with banshees (too many stalkers and terran can a-move everything because stalkers are terrible) and hoping terran gives you an opening. Don't be surprised if you lose to a 2rax though because you generally can't tell the difference between a 2rax and a 1/1/1 with the limited scouting you're able to get. Then theres times terran screws up and you hold the 2rax and he transitions into a 2/1/1 except now he has stim, combat shields and another powerful timing attack.

Or you know phoenix openings are always fun, hard to hold a 2rax, impossible to hold a 3rax, will probably get behind against any economical terran build but very fun to play and can do OK against a 'normal' 1/1/1.
also, to be safe (hahaha) you have to roll out two obs before your first immo. no point scouting their base only to have a cloaked shee rape your mineral line on the other side of the map.

to engage it, you have to both i) wait until the absolute last possible moment and ii) catch them unsieged. contradiction? sorta, but don't let that stop you. alternatively: 3gate VR all in every time you see a refinery.

on the bright side, atleast you won't have to deal with mutas.

Q8D3vil

Game 2 was kinda back and forth but Zenio didn't push his advantage. He had no idea that MMA started siege mode so late or I think he would have had that game easily.

Other than that, it wasn't even close.

yeah, but its the hardest thing as zerg to know when to just "go kill him"

FoxSpirit

Hahaha, I just found out that BenQ made a "RTS gaming monitor", endorsed by Startale. Well, of course since they are the main sponsor ;-)

That said, maybe it's good?

FoxSpirit

I cannot imagine what it could better than a decent low lag LCD.
An LCD with good image clarity. I have a 10ms lag 120Hz monitor but the perceived contrast sucks. Especially when I switch over to my TV for stream watching and have a different reference.

I need to see a honest picture of that thing with RTS mode on and off.

TheExodu5

Banned
You'll never get a perfect LCD monitor. A gaming monitor is going to be a TN panel, which means poor blacks and poor colors, in exchange for fast response and low input lag. Want better image quality? Then you'll get slower response and possibly slightly higher input lag.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
You'll never get a perfect LCD monitor. A gaming monitor is going to be a TN panel, which means poor blacks and poor colors, in exchange for fast response and low input lag. Want better image quality? Then you'll get slower response and possibly slightly higher input lag.

LED?

TheExodu5

Banned

OLED, sure. But current LED monitors? They're worse than non-LED monitors. Edge-lit LED LCD monitors are the biggest scam in modern display technology.

Edge-lit LED gives you more brightness and lower power consumption than regular CCFL backlighting, but at the cost of contrast (and color accuracy), black levels, and lighting uniformity. Also, seeing as how CCFL backlit monitors are already more than bright enough, the added brightness isn't really beneficial.

Q8D3vil

i have asus 24inch 120hz 3d monitor.
i want to get the 27inch but apparently 30% of the monitors have bleeding issues.

120 is great for gaming if you have monster pc, otherwise they are not worth buying.

mcrae

are there any campaign-like maps i can play? i feel like some starcraft but dont wanna play the campaign and dont feel like losing to humans. lol

TheExodu5

Banned
i have asus 24inch 120hz 3d monitor.
i want to get the 27inch but apparently 30% of the monitors have bleeding issues.

120 is great for gaming if you have monster pc, otherwise they are not worth buying.

I need to see a proper 120Hz monitor in action one of these days. I really miss the fluidity of 85Hz CRT gaming...I wonder if those 120Hz monitors can capture that.

I'll only be moving to such a monitor when a non-TN panel can do it, though. I've come to appreciate the colors and blacks of my PVA panel Sony 32" too much.

IEM production is just terrible, after a very close bo5 series and the final gg, instead of actually showing the stage and player reaction after the win they switch back to the casters and some back room behind the kitchen.

FoxSpirit

I need to see a proper 120Hz monitor in action one of these days. I really miss the fluidity of 85Hz CRT gaming...I wonder if those 120Hz monitors can capture that.

I'll only be moving to such a monitor when a non-TN panel can do it, though. I've come to appreciate the colors and blacks of my PVA panel Sony 32" too much.
120Hz is near perfect in motion clarity. But of course, you need the full 120FPS for the magic.

But yeah, if you play Quake 3 or CS this can be easily achieved. But perceived contrast is really meh, maybe I should get a decent IPS. Sure, more like 15-20ms lag and only 6ms response but oh so good picture. Not as if those 10ms will matter much in SC2, as does the reduced FPS count.

Also, MMA wins. I need to see more KSL stuff :-\

Q8D3vil

REAL TALK

Map pool is suck, you heard it
map pool is not that bad, but the gold minerals sucks pretty hard.

gsl strategy is to balance through map pools so removing the gold have a huge influence on the winrate.

Kas is much better than Thorzain and it's not even close, Dude looked amazing in WCG against koreans and only lost to MVP but everyone loses to MVP.
pretty much, you can notice thorzain fail against any player with good multitasking, but kas was amazing in this tournament.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
are there any campaign-like maps i can play? i feel like some starcraft but dont wanna play the campaign and dont feel like losing to humans. lol

Alot of the campaign maps are not really set for a 1v1 game. You could just play AI on the normal 1v1 maps though.

FoxSpirit

Alot of the campaign maps are not really set for a 1v1 game. You could just play AI on the normal 1v1 maps though.
AI on hard: Oh, what a cute push. Are you going to actually saturate your bases?? Hey, I heard getting siege mode is a good idea maybe try it.

AI on very hard: *steamroller incoming*

The difficulty steps on the AI are a joke :p

P.S.: it will 1 base push always and forever on 8:00 to 8:30. Done my share, gave up on it

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
AI on hard: Oh, what a cute push. Are you going to actually saturate your bases?? Hey, I heard getting siege mode is a good idea maybe try it.

P.S.: it will 1 base push always and forever on 8:00 to 8:30. Done my share, gave up on it

Isnt there custom maps with better AI? Very hard is super easy for me and Insane just cheats (map hacks and gets more minerals per trip)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Very hard is beatable, insane is just unfair.

mcrae

errr.. what? you mean the AI/triggers on the custom campaign maps suck?

to clarify, i was looking for maps that were campaign maps created by users. like how in brood war there was a 6 mission campaign that came shipped in the use map settings folder

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Want so bad D:

ponycraft_fluttermedic_by_azurevine-d4n3eqi.jpg

Ty4on

Hate how the zerg just techs like crazy and never get's a third base.

They could have had a better way of learning players how to be good with the AI. I just thought I had to tech like crazy at first against hard, had no idea lings alone could easilly beat that rush after a 15hatch* versus terran. Teaching basic micro like surrounding and target firing and how good your macro was.

*Works against any race in hard really, no cannonrushing or 10pool.

jasonng

errr.. what? you mean the AI/triggers on the custom campaign maps suck?

to clarify, i was looking for maps that were campaign maps created by users. like how in brood war there was a 6 mission campaign that came shipped in the use map settings folder
Unfortunately there is nothing like that. Check bnet for other custom maps though, those might satisfy your craving.

Top Bottom