• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zen

Banned
What's this fucking mass reaper bullshit I'm seeing in ladder?

I got hit with the same thing, I think. I scanned the base and saw 3 tech lab barracks, I would have held it easily but I stupidly wanted to play greedy/risky and tried a hellion drop anyway. It seems completely silly to try considering how far back it sets you.

Jeff-DSA

Someone tried the mass Reaper on me a couple of days ago. It was pretty simple to hold off, and then he was screwed completely after it failed.

BigAT

Corran, here you go.

RP3Mh.jpg

Enjoy.

Q8D3vil

Panda, you prefer to play against mech in ZvT?

mech is like free win in zvt, no one knows how to play it right at all except goody and some korean players.

when i played terran most of the playersi defeated using mech didn't scout me in the first place and thought i was going normal marine tank

Zen

Banned
Reapers beat Hellions bro

Pound for pound they do, but reapers tend to clump up, not to mention that by the time his reapers got there I had enough marines and 1 hellion to whittle the number down to two reapers, if I had kept my 3 hellions at the base, no contest.

High Diamond; I wonder where this strat originated.

Someone tried the mass Reaper on me a couple of days ago. It was pretty simple to hold off, and then he was screwed completely after it failed.

Yeah, If I hadn't been bull headed I would have basically auto won following the failed reaper push.

Q8D3vil

the main issue with the reaper is the huge time investment, hopefully they fix it up in hots and give them the same building time as marauders.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305648

Note: this is a translated article from TIG. There are currently total of five parts (and still going) and this is from the part four. The purpose of the article is to talk about the growth of GSL and things that can use improvements. It covers a vast array of subjects. This particular part (pt 4) talks about the need of SC2 association, player professionalism, and of course the impact of BW Pros playing SC2. TIG invited GOMTV director, Mr. Chae, StarTale coach, Mr. Won, and IMNestea from Incredible Miracle to talk about these issues.

TIG> That's the story. This is a problem for SC2 teams, and has a potential to be a big problem. They are weaker in both financially and influentially when compared to BW teams.

Coach Won> It's a problem. We should all think about this. Frankly, I'm not even sure if BW teams will even acknowledge SC2 teams as a legit professional team. After all, there was a rumor of how they are going to exclude current SC2 scene and all. Honestly, we cannot compete with them financially. How will we stop them from taking our players by offering more money? There needs to be some protective measures and plans for when the time comes, but realistically it's very difficult.

TIG> how would players react to an offer from BW pro teams?

Nestea> They would definitely consider it. What I heard was that they want players that are very bottom tiered, the ones who can't even break Code A. They want to buy them cheap and invest in them. Actually, I was approached for my opinions on which players are willing to come and for how much. They even asked me to introduce them and one player actually went.
I also have to mention this since we are speaking about the SC2 association. There is a rumor that BW teams are starting SC2 sometime this April. Nothing's been official, but that's the word on the street.
"Coach Won> It's a problem. We should all think about this. Frankly, I'm not even sure if BW teams will even acknowledge SC2 teams as a legit professional team. After all, there was a rumor of how they are going to exclude current SC2 scene and all. "

Sliver

Most alarming thing about the BW teams switching over is that they wouldn't interact with the current scene at all. Probably just the same thing as BW except with SC2, not really sure how I feel about that. Free streams is nice though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Most alarming thing about the BW teams switching over is that they wouldn't interact with the current scene at all. Probably just the same thing as BW except with SC2, not really sure how I feel about that. Free streams is nice though.

dont worry about it, they wont be competitive enough to segregate into their own community.

zargle

dont worry about it, they wont be competitive enough to segregate into their own community.

Knowing almost nothing about BW and its community and history, I cannot tell if you are being serious with this statement or referencing something that happened in BW history.

FoxSpirit

Knowing almost nothing about BW and its community and history, I cannot tell if you are being serious with this statement or referencing something that happened in BW history.
I think what Panda means is that they will not become so good as to simply ignore all other teams.
At least I hope so, I seriously dislike arrogant high brow attitudes like that.

It's not about the skill it's about the money they'd bring. Foreign teams should snatch as much good koreans as they can before the likes of SKT and CJ get into the market.

No BW player who officially transitions in April will be better than MVP, MMA, Nestea, and the other premier players. That being said, I'd imagine their teams overall will be better than many of the current SC2 teams. I hope BW teams decide to cooperate with GOM/GSL, as it opens up a nice revenue stream for them. There's no reason GOM and OGN cannot work together on a schedule, allow cooperation, and ultimately make money together.

That being said, if OGN and BW teams don't want to cooperate, GOM should at least be ready to put up a fight. I think it would be a good idea for GOM to further ally itself with foreigner leagues, teams, and tournaments. There should be some type of player associations able to work together. For instance, if BW/OGN doesn't cooperate with GOM there's no reason MLG should pay for their teams to compete in foreign tournaments, even if they win qualifiers. So if Flash wants to compete in MLG, KT should pay all the expenses. GOM certainly makes a lot of money thanks to foreigner interest, and this could further expand if the leagues decided to work more closely together. Including IPL and even NASL, perhaps.

This isn't without precedent, as it would most likely look like the AFL/NFL of the 1960s in some ways; of course, both wound up merging into one NFL after nine years of division.

I wonder what Artosis/Tasteless would do if GOM doesn't put up a decent fight and BW teams/OGN ostracize their players

Jeff-DSA

Panda got me thinking about my TvZ. I always struggle with it. It's been my weakest matchup since season 2. So he just mentioned that he's happy when people go mech in that matchup. So yeah, I thought about it.

Maybe I just suck with mech.

Fast forward a few more ladder matches later where I go back to mainly bio (few siege tanks) mixed in, and I'm winning against Zerg again. I guess I never realized it, but my unit micro is so much better now that Banelings aren't as scary as they used to be. Just keeping Marauders on a separate hotkey lets me keep them ahead of my Marines when the Banelings roll in and it keeps them off of my Marines long enough to allow the Marauders and tanks to clean up.

So I guess I'm just not good enough for mech in that matchup, so I'll stick with bio. Sure, I'll deal with a few more Baneling bombs, but constantly getting caught out of position or getting crushed by Brood Lords/Infestors was downright demoralizing.

FoxSpirit

i can win zvz, but i don't want to play.
lets just say that more than half of my games are zvz and i got fed up with it.
its a shitty matchup anyway.
What?? And of course you have a lot of ZvZ, with you throwing mkatches. The game seems to try and give you your worst until you win.

And ZvZ is kinda fun, quick and cutthroat. You can always at least try to got for a double extractor trick 12-pool into slow-ling banes. Quick and dirty.

jasonng

Panda got me thinking about my TvZ. I always struggle with it. It's been my weakest matchup since season 2. So he just mentioned that he's happy when people go mech in that matchup. So yeah, I thought about it.

Fast forward a few more ladder matches later where I go back to mainly bio (few siege tanks) mixed in, and I'm winning against Zerg again. I guess I never realized it, but my unit micro is so much better now that Banelings aren't as scary as they used to be. Just keeping Marauders on a separate hotkey lets me keep them ahead of my Marines when the Banelings roll in and it keeps them off of my Marines long enough to allow the Marauders and tanks to clean up.

So I guess I'm just not good enough for mech in that matchup, so I'll stick with bio. Sure, I'll deal with a few more Baneling bombs, but constantly getting caught out of position or getting crushed by Brood Lords/Infestors was downright demoralizing.
Marine Medivac Tank is still very good. Splinter's been using that on me and it's hard to harass him. I'm willing to bet you're allowing the zerg to macro early on too freely. Get 4 hellions early on and keep him contained (on two base). You can safely get an expo and you'll be on even, if not better, footing.

Q8D3vil

What?? And of course you have a lot of ZvZ, with you throwing mkatches. The game seems to try and give you your worst until you win.

And ZvZ is kinda fun, quick and cutthroat. You can always at least try to got for a double extractor trick 12-pool into slow-ling banes. Quick and dirty.
nah, i decided to look up to morrow and ignore the whole shitty matchup.

Marine Medivac Tank is still very good. Splinter's been using that on me and it's hard to harass him. I'm willing to bet you're allowing the zerg to macro early on too freely. Get 4 hellions early on and keep him contained (on two base). You can safely get an expo and you'll be on even, if not better, footing.

Sometimes I find in this scenario if I don't make the most of the 4 hellions then I get set back enough that I usually lose. I've managed to find a lot of luck with the Marine, Medivac, Tank build. If only that worked with TvT. God I hate that matchup.

WedgeX

Banned
Sometimes I find in this scenario if I don't make the most of the 4 hellions then I get set back enough that I usually lose. I've managed to find a lot of luck with the Marine, Medivac, Tank build. If only that worked with TvT. God I hate that matchup.

TvT is the best.

But I love the positioning battle.

Q8D3vil

if you cant play zvz, your zvt/zvp will suffer greatly.

nice joke, i found my zvp and zvt much better after ignoring zvz because i have better mindset for them.
the only downside is playing platinum guys after quitting 5 zvz in a row other than that i'm pretty fine.

jasonng

4 hellions is not an investment. Losing them just puts you back on even ground with the zerg.

nilbog21

Banned
People are living in an absolute fantasy when it comes to BW progamers. What will happen when the best BW progamers switch to sc2? We've already seen it: Boxer, Nada, July. These players were the best of the best.

People are living in an absolute fantasy when it comes to BW progamers. What will happen when the best BW progamers switch to sc2? We've already seen it: Boxer, Nada, July. These players were the best of the best.

Boxer was good 10 years ago

Nada was good 7-8 years ago

July was good 6-7 years ago.

You're absolutely kidding yourself if you think any of those three players were even close to as good as a single A (probably even B) team player currently playing Brood War when they quit.

36qV7.png

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No BW player who officially transitions in April will be better than MVP, MMA, Nestea, and the other premier players. That being said, I'd imagine their teams overall will be better than many of the current SC2 teams. I hope BW teams decide to cooperate with GOM/GSL, as it opens up a nice revenue stream for them. There's no reason GOM and OGN cannot work together on a schedule, allow cooperation, and ultimately make money together.

That being said, if OGN and BW teams don't want to cooperate, GOM should at least be ready to put up a fight. I think it would be a good idea for GOM to further ally itself with foreigner leagues, teams, and tournaments. There should be some type of player associations able to work together. For instance, if BW/OGN doesn't cooperate with GOM there's no reason MLG should pay for their teams to compete in foreign tournaments, even if they win qualifiers. So if Flash wants to compete in MLG, KT should pay all the expenses. GOM certainly makes a lot of money thanks to foreigner interest, and this could further expand if the leagues decided to work more closely together. Including IPL and even NASL, perhaps.

This isn't without precedent, as it would most likely look like the AFL/NFL of the 1960s in some ways; of course, both wound up merging into one NFL after nine years of division.

I wonder what Artosis/Tasteless would do if GOM doesn't put up a decent fight and BW teams/OGN ostracize their players
Well GOM has exclusive broadcasting rights due to Blizzard (I think) so they have to work with GOM in some fashion. The BW sponsorships as said are much larger than SC II right now even with the Blizzard money pumped into GSL.

Marine Tank Medivac son. It's all about the timings and abusing the FUCK out of marines when you can. Go watch some GSL TvZ.
lolu

Keikaku

I'm playing against the dregs of Platinum.

A Protoss just tried to hit me with a weird 4 gate --> Expand ---> 3 Stargate.

I killed his units, killed his expo and then killed his Voids. The weirdest part is that he built the the 3 Stargates after I killed his expo . . . what the hell, guy.

Jeff-DSA

Well GOM has exclusive broadcasting rights due to Blizzard (I think) so they have to work with GOM in some fashion. The BW sponsorships as said are much larger than SC II right now even with the Blizzard money pumped into GSL.

Marine Tank Medivac son. It's all about the timings and abusing the FUCK out of marines when you can. Go watch some GSL TvZ.

lolu

I watch all of the GSL matches. I forced mech because I used to suck with Banelings wrecking me. I guess my control has improved to where Banelings aren't so bad.

One of the largest arguments against SC2 is that it's "easy" or takes significantly less skill than BW. I don't see how someone can hold that argument while dismissing the struggles of July, Boxer, Nada, etc in SC2. Yes, they weren't top players at the end of their careers. Yet their mechanics alone should have still been superior to SC2 players. I tend to think Boxer got so far in the early GSLs due to mechanics and experience alone.

SC2 clearly has a large technical skill ceiling, and in many ways we've just started to see it. People get bent up over rally points, cheese builds, and other things that allegedly make the game noob-friendly or ensure no one can dominate the game. Yet the game has seen impressive evolution since it's release, and is only going to continue.

jasonng

One of the largest arguments against SC2 is that it's "easy" or takes significantly less skill than BW. I don't see how someone can hold that argument while dismissing the struggles of July, Boxer, Nada, etc in SC2. Yes, they weren't top players at the end of their careers. Yet their mechanics alone should have still been superior to SC2 players. I tend to think Boxer got so far in the early GSLs due to mechanics and experience alone.

SC2 clearly has a large technical skill ceiling, and in many ways we've just started to see it. People get bent up over rally points, cheese builds, and other things that allegedly make the game noob-friendly or ensure no one can dominate the game. Yet the game has seen impressive evolution since it's release, and is only going to continue.
I'm actually in belief that the reason why some of these BW players moved to SC2 is because they're more likely to find better success simply because SC2 is a more forgiving machine than BW. There's still so much to explore, imbalances to take advantage of, etc. SC2 is still fresh. These older players like Boxer know their career is coming to a close, it's unlikely they'll stick around until this game fully matures.

Top Bottom