• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Red HyperX just looks like G.Skill
Bad move imo
I watch all of the GSL matches. I forced mech because I used to suck with Banelings wrecking me. I guess my control has improved to where Banelings aren't so bad.
Ah. Do you stim a marine ahead of your forces? Scan when you are moving up? I know it can be demanding compared to Zergs 1a ez mode, but if you split up your marines into 3 groups, hotkey your tanks to focus banes, and move segments of each group back you should come out on top nicely.
One of the largest arguments against SC2 is that it's "easy" or takes significantly less skill than BW. I don't see how someone can hold that argument while dismissing the struggles of July, Boxer, Nada, etc in SC2. Yes, they weren't top players at the end of their careers. Yet their mechanics alone should have still been superior to SC2 players. I tend to think Boxer got so far in the early GSLs due to mechanics and experience alone.

SC2 clearly has a large technical skill ceiling, and in many ways we've just started to see it. People get bent up over rally points, cheese builds, and other things that allegedly make the game noob-friendly or ensure no one can dominate the game. Yet the game has seen impressive evolution since it's release, and is only going to continue.
No LAN no skill ceiling. :D

Also, of course SC II is going to continue to advance. I just want it to advance faster and in a direction that is more fun to watch.
Army and Engagement control is a big area people need to improve in.
Unit dynamics is a big area SC II needs to improve in.

One of the largest arguments against SC2 is that it's "easy" or takes significantly less skill than BW. I don't see how someone can hold that argument while dismissing the struggles of July, Boxer, Nada, etc in SC2. Yes, they weren't top players at the end of their careers. Yet their mechanics alone should have still been superior to SC2 players. I tend to think Boxer got so far in the early GSLs due to mechanics and experience alone.

SC2 clearly has a large technical skill ceiling, and in many ways we've just started to see it. People get bent up over rally points, cheese builds, and other things that allegedly make the game noob-friendly or ensure no one can dominate the game. Yet the game has seen impressive evolution since it's release, and is only going to continue.

SC1 is mechanically harder than SC2, there's no 2 ways about that.

Thanks to an archaic UI, sure. But I believe the skill ceiling on SC2 is higher

uhh.. That a premature statement. There's nothing to prove that and I would at least wait for Flash and Bisu to switch before even commenting on how "high" SC2 skill ceiling truly is.

It's harder to stick a fist up your ass than a finger, that doesn't mean it's better.

Never said anything about being better.

Aaron

ForGG / Fin was a good test of seeing how a BW player does in SC2. He destroyed Code A, but fumbled in Code B where his superior micro wasn't enough to win. He also had some BW type instincts that were more of a hinderence than a help in Starcraft 2.

Jeff-DSA

ForGG / Fin was a good test of seeing how a BW player does in SC2. He destroyed Code A, but fumbled in Code B where his superior micro wasn't enough to win. He also had some BW type instincts that were more of a hinderence than a help in Starcraft 2.

I really wanted to see him get into the Round of 16 to see what sort of noise he could make. Hopefully he's able to get right back out of Code A.

Aaron

forgg need to go to foreign tournaments to boost up his confidence.
it worked for mvp, mma, drg, mc and boxer
Couldn't hurt, but I think he needs to shake off some of the Broodwar mentality, the same way July never spread his creep and made other mistakes someone going straight to SC2 would never make. I think less laddering and more tournament experience in general will take care of that for forgg. Him getting a lot of play in the upcoming team league should be a boost to him like it was to DRG.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Couldn't hurt, but I think he needs to shake off some of the Broodwar mentality, the same way July never spread his creep and made other mistakes someone going straight to SC2 would never make. I think less laddering and more tournament experience in general will take care of that for forgg. Him getting a lot of play in the upcoming team league should be a boost to him like it was to DRG.
This is a great point.

Jeff-DSA

The team league turned DRG from a dangerous player into a monster.

Mairu

mma first rose up in the team league too

this is why i love the team league

gstl > *!

even with the new format the matches are still mostly all worth watching!(*@

i just hope tastosis do a good portion of the casting...

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Gaffer down gaffer down. PD banned lol.

ONEHAND.jpg

bisu.jpg

35sfzq.jpg

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305559

cdyhybrid

I was trying to decide between going T or P. I think I'd have better luck stopping 4 Gates than I would 1/1/1s, although I stopped playing around when 1/1/1 was still considered unbeatable and game-breaking.

FoxSpirit

Well, to be fair, Terran macro has Queue. With a Queue depth of one that mean macroing once per minute and it delays you about 30secs which isn't really huge come mid game. Especially compared to the consequences of "miss larva inject" and "miss warpin".

Also, Eu battle.net down. At least I get no connection, had to play the computer. God, do I suck without warmup :p

fanboi

Banned
Well, to be fair, Terran macro has Queue. With a Queue depth of one that mean macroing once per minute and it delays you about 30secs which isn't really huge come mid game. Especially compared to the consequences of "miss larva inject" and "miss warpin".

Also, Eu battle.net down. At least I get no connection, had to play the computer. God, do I suck without warmup :p

Well P late game is "hurr durr I C 872362 mineralZZZZZs letz BUILD zome gates hurr durr"

*insta remax army*

queueing up units is just as bad as missing injects or warpins.

Boken

Banned
Haven't played in ages. Whats the prominent metagame for

ZvT - is it still marine tank?
ZvZ - is it still roach wars?
ZvP - is it still (i dont remember lol)

TheExodu5

Banned
Although I'm pretty new to the modern game as well, I'd say:

ZvT - somewhat varied, though a Hellion opening is very common.
ZvZ - roaches are certainly very common, though mutalingbane does come into play sometimes
ZvP - not sure

Q8D3vil

Haven't played in ages. Whats the prominent metagame for

ZvT - is it still marine tank?
ZvZ - is it still roach wars?
ZvP - is it still (i dont remember lol)

zvt - hellions opening followed by either mech (rare) or marine tank

ZvZ - baneling or speedling agression followed by heavy droning into roach infestors.
zvp - depend on the opening but if they went ffe you can take fast third and laugh at them.

FoxSpirit

No, because if you only macro once per minute your delays will stay at 25-30 seconds (Marine, Marauder) delay consistently. If you warpin or inject only once per minute... the delay keeps exploding.

zvt - hellions opening followed by either mech (rare) or marine tank
ZvZ - baneling or speedling agression followed by heavy droning into roach infestors.
zvp - depend on the opening but if they went ffe you can take fast third and laugh at them.
ZvT sidenote: sometimes the followup to Hellions is Banshee. Scout accordingly.
ZvP: 3, 4 gate or some Phoenix opening. Or yeah, FFE. Also got DT rushed once :p

Q8D3vil

No, because if you only macro once per minute your delays will stay at 25-30 seconds (Marine, Marauder) delay consistently. If you warpin or inject only once per minute... the delay keeps exploding.

ZvT sidenote: sometimes the followup to Hellions is Banshee. Scout accordingly.
ZvP: 3, 4 gate or some Phoenix opening. Or yeah, FFE. Also got DT rushed once :p

terran macro is way harder in the med-late game.

Emitan

Last night I had a dream I ran into Day[9] on the street and we hung out for the rest of the day. At the end of the dream I said I'd tweet him, don't know why I said that.

This morning I nearly sent him a tweet, but I stopped when I realized I was tweeting a guy about a conversation that never existed because I forgot it was a dream.

(._.)

Banned
my goals to get to plat by the end of February :)

need to work on my macro and late game.

thanx for boosting my MMR. I just need to focus and play and a promotion shouldn't be too far off.

No. Queuing up units is LESS bad as not building units.

When you queue up a unit, money is temporarily sitting around. Which is somewhat bad. That money could perhaps we used elsewhere (in case you have idle buildings or workers that could be doing something besides mining). That money could be spent EARLIER (early money is worth more than late money).

But not building units is much worse. For not only do you have money that could be spent on units sitting around, you also have idle buildings (another investment that isn't doing its job). If you don't build units, you're not getting closer to getting a big army to crush the opponent with.

In other news, beginning Terrans should check this out, another post on the under-appreciated Terran 3-rax build: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=299901

(._.)

Banned
I queue up a ton of workers at once often throughout the game. idk, I need to work on my timings and use the game clock. I want to scout once every minute and getting the timing down so I know when to queue up 2/3 probes. I end up just making it 5 cause I will prob end up forgetting.

ultron87

because terran is the race that you need to keep pressuring the whole game while building more production and producing units in the same time.
basically, you need to macro while microing units.

At least Terran can keep looking at their army when they're building new units.

Top Bottom