• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Dear GOMTV.net users,

The pilot episode of GSL Off The Record has aired and we received a lot of positive feedback. We’d like to thank everyone for their support and active participation and promise to work hard on improving every week.

Off The Record is our first StarCraft II related extra content specifically produced for and aimed at the global audience. The conception of the show is a recent development and not part of the premium features we initially had in mind when we released the new ticket policy last year. But as a thank you for your support, the HQ live stream of the show is exclusively available to yearly premium/premium+ and monthly premium subscribers. The free SQ live stream is available to all users.

It is however our intention to let as many people as possible enjoy GSL Off The Record. For this reason we will make the VOD of the show available for free in HQ for all global users 3 days after the show has aired (Monday around noon Korean time).

Now people can stop qq'ing.

Holden

wAhOAh.png

"protoss imba"

Holden

dont forget the part where i correctly perdict your balance whine a day in advance.

also, why the Int. chart and not the korean one?

cause the int. chart has no relevelent proof of balance and try to make fun of ppl like jasong or devil;

thought it was quite obvious

(._.)

Banned
played 3 games on ladder and lost all of them. I feel like my biggest thing I need to work on atm is executing a strategy and my micro. I just sort of scout and sit in my base macroing without any sort of plan :\

Holden

<3

So are you officially out until HoTs? :(

ya i really think so. Dota2 is alot of fun, been playing other games like homm3 and stuff, got a big backlog of games to finish, not forgetting school --;. I really really dont like the whole meta game in sc2 atm, hopefully hots will change it. If i ever come back in WoL i'll probably play as zerg, i dunno, zerg is just such a funner race to play with but everybody plays it so it just makes me not want to play it. Hopefully blizzard knows what they are doing which i don't think they do, which is really really sad from them. i Just really wished the whole warp gate mechanic didn't existed.

ps: if you ever want to play some games other then sc2 ( i'll play some team games thow) just msg on steam or pm me on neogaf but going to bed right now!

(._.)

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usc3rCjTnIw

Watch this video. Guy talks about a smart mindset to hold while training. Several things I've never really thought about.

Gonna try and set goals each game I play.

I wanna pay more attention to the in game clock and scout at least once a minute. Also get my expansion up at 7:00 and my 3rd at 14:00

I feel like if i know what and where my opponent is I'm a lot less anxious when macroing.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Dapollo does not approve of Merz's play.

f1QFl.png

Watch this video. Guy talks about a smart mindset to hold while training. Several things I've never really thought about.

I wanna pay more attention to the in game clock and scout at least once a minute. Also get my expansion up at 7:00 and my 3rd at 14:00

I feel like if i know what and where my opponent is I'm a lot less anxious when macroing.

I read through the text and the video presents some good points. But I'm personally waiting for HoTS to (hopefully) fix PvP and make it less rock-paper-scissors. And to a lesser extent mutalisks, since I 2 base all-in every zerg I play because I hate dealing with mutas.

(._.)

Banned
Dapollo does not approve of Merz's play.

f1QFl.png

I read through the text and the video presents some good points. But I'm personally waiting for HoTS to (hopefully) fix PvP and make it less rock-paper-scissors. And to a lesser extent mutalisks, since I 2 base all-in every zerg I play because I hate dealing with mutas.

I can't wait for HotS but I don't see it as an excuse not to play. for all we know it may make things worse.

I just started to do the 2 base all in with 6-7 gates. I make a robo instead of a 7th gate in case I fuck the attack up and need to fall back. need an obs to scout then.

Used to do two star gates but it is a lot harder I feel.

Not sure why macro is making you anxious. Macro is simply a matter of CONSTANTLY making workers, adding production buildings when your # of bases can support it, and making sure your production buildings are always crankin out stuff. Basically, if you do these things, your money will automatically always be low.

You can easily get to platinum with macro alone. Micro, scouting, build orders, good mindset are nice too, but if macro is your weak point, just keep these points in mind. Because guess what, macro makes you have a bigger army than your opponent.

I really like this guy, and I'm glad he's not letting his speech impediment hold him back.

I read through the text and the video presents some good points. But I'm personally waiting for HoTS to (hopefully) fix PvP and make it less rock-paper-scissors.

This is just an excuse really that is pretty commonly used by both zergs and protoss. PvP and ZvZ aren't rock-paper-scissors especially at our level.

profit

patrol trick is better than nothing but its not good against ling baneling.

pro's like mkp split their marine without any tricks.

I tried both in the trainer, I can manage the manual split but due to nerves I grab too many marines at once. Going to keep practicing it a lot though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
map stats from replays:

MLG Shattered Temple
Replays: 7486
Average Game Length: 10:49

TvP - 54%
PvZ - 45%
ZvT - 43%

MLG metalopolis
Replays: 6548
Average Game Length: 10:47

TvP - 54%
PvZ - 46%
ZvT - 49%

MLG Antiga Shipyard
Replays: 2750
Average Game Length: 11:55

TvP - 59%
PvZ - 50%
ZvT - 52%

MLG Shakuras Plateau

Replays: 2425
Average Game Length: 11:46

TvP - 50%
PvZ - 53%
ZvT - 48%

Tal'Darim Altar LE
Replays: 1458
Average Game Length: 10:58

TvP - 51%
PvZ - 49%
ZvT - 51%

more maps here:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308886

Striek

The marine split map is fun, but not terribly useful. Zergs aren't going to be a-moving banelings if you have tanks out most of the time, and you're going to be running marines behind tank lines first and foremost and focusing tank fire on bane clumps (ideally). And yeah lings muddle things.

Also in the map I can get to lvl 30 (speed banes, stim, no creep). In an actual game many a gaf member can attest that I barely manage a split at all ;_;

The marine split map is fun, but not terribly useful. Zergs aren't going to be a-moving banelings if you have tanks out most of the time, and you're going to be running marines behind tank lines first and foremost and focusing tank fire on bane clumps (ideally). And yeah lings muddle things.

Also in the map I can get to lvl 30 (speed banes, stim, no creep). In an actual game many a gaf member can attest that I barely manage a split at all ;_;

It's true, strieks marine splits are terrible :p
still enough to beat my zerg ;_;

profit

Well I play in bronze league, so most zergs do a-move banelings. Micro is really holding me back sometimes. I worked a lot on my macro, but now I want to focus a bit more on micro aswell.

FoxSpirit

That's simply stress, you could if you were relaxed. Honestly.

Well, I finally did some 1v1's with an extremely patient rl friend. I was pretty surprised by some of the micro stuff I was doing kind of by instinct, harassing, handling hellion aggression without losing a single drone, etc. But out of 7 games the trend was pretty clear. Every time I try some strategy that's way above what I can actually enforce. I'm trying proxy hatches, baneling drops, and I'm not making drones or even mining more than 1 gas, not spreading creep, hell not even injecting sometimes. Once I realize this, usually after seeing my natural has maybe 4 drones on the mineral line, I revert to some twitchy speedling all in that I know won't work. Months of watching streams is making me try to run when I've never even walked. I guess I'm just gonna have to take my medicine on the ladder if I want to improve.

Yobalt

That's dumb. Vikings/Ravens on 3, ghost/tank on 2 and marines/marauder/medivac on 1.

I am in diamond so I clearly know the best way.

Vaporak

Well I play in bronze league, so most zergs do a-move banelings. Micro is really holding me back sometimes. I worked a lot on my macro, but now I want to focus a bit more on micro aswell.

If you're in bronze micro's not what's holding you back.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's dumb. Vikings/Ravens on 3, ghost/tank on 2 and marines/marauder/medivac on 1.

I am in diamond so I clearly know the best way.
I try to keep medivacs on a separate hotkey so they can heal my army when I stutterstep. It's something most don't do and it helps a bit if they are positioned correctly in a fight.
It is if you lose 50 marines to banes. 1a terran vs 1a zerg with banes zerg wins ezpz

profit

Well I did not mean to say it was only micro that was holding me back, sorry if it seemed that way. I just meant to say that I focus a lot on my macro (constantly producing workers, saturating my mineral lines, not getting supply blocked, constantly producing army and if my economy rises making sure to produce more buildings to keep my money low, making sure my upgrades are going).
I mostly just lose cause I'm not paying attention to my army.

And what Hazaro is saying is correct, I mostly lose to zerg cause he goes mass banes and I just dont react and everything dies.
I do the same stupid thing with TvT, running into enemy tanks.

I'm being placed against Plat players so I hope thats any indication I'm improving a bit.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Start stimming a marine forward to know where the Zerg army is, then as I said just stim run and use tanks to focus banes. Make sure your tanks have +1 attack too if possible, helps a ton vs lings.
Watching Stephano play right now. Wow, guy's pretty beastly.
Yeah Stephano can play very smart games with good builds. His army engagement is above average so watch for that.
Too bad he's quitting.

Top Bottom