• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

cdyhybrid

Well I guess I'll post for the new page...

Can anyone help me with ZvT? I have a basic framework as far as what I am working towards in ZvP and ZvZ that I can practice and work on, but I feel completely lost in ZvT. I don't understand:

-when to expand
-when to make units
-when to tech
-when to scout
-WHAT to scout
-basically everything

and I seem to only get Terran opponents on the ladder :( I know I'm basically going for muta/ling/bling and eventually into infestor/brood, but I have no idea when or how to get there.

Zzoram

In short, we're going to start seeing more small online tournaments like TSL and Total Biscuit's stuff. IPL is the only big tournament that will last out of the US scene, as it's tied to IGN.

Blizzard has kind of done a shitty job fostering the SC2 community. The dota games are taking players not just from MMOs but RTS, and Blizz seems uninterested in making the game more than just a 1v1 client people play every now and then. The lack of support for the UI, BNet in general, map community, 2v2/team play, etc is stunning and will eventually lead to the scene drying up.

That's what I'm worried about too.

Their greed is ruining the game. They refuse to give us basic features that WC3 battlenet had yet because they're going to bundle them with the expansion packs as an incentive to buy them.

In reality, all that does is turn people off the game due to the shitty battlenet now. If the UI was better now, I'm sure that player retainment would be better, and as a result the expansions would sell better. However, Blizzard now can't see logic or understand the community anymore, they only see dollar signs and listen to MBA suits.

V_Arnold

Can anyone help me with ZvT? I have a basic framework as far as what I am working towards in ZvP and ZvZ that I can practice and work on, but I feel completely lost in ZvT. I don't understand:

-when to expand
-when to make units
-when to tech
-when to scout
-WHAT to scout
-basically everything

and I seem to only get Terran opponents on the ladder :( I know I'm basically going for muta/ling/bling and eventually into infestor/brood, but I have no idea when or how to get there.

My ZVT is like...3 seasons from the past, but

-Expand ASAP. 15 hatch. Practice how to defend bunker rushes, even if it means getting 6-8 or more drones off from minerals for a half minute or more.
-Terran is going for timing pushes. If you make units that you wont use, then you will get behind economically. That is why you have to scout what he is doing, as different builds have different times when they kick in.

The most important thing is to:
a) Try and spread creep
b) Do not be afraid to have 3-4 queens on 2 bases, they will be good against a variety of things, including but not limited to drop defense, hellion defense, banshee defense, creep, larva, healing.
c) When you scout, you are looking for whether
-He took all gas -> if not, then more barracks or a rax+exp is definitely expected
-He is teching for a fast banshee or a double hellion opening
-He is pushing for a fast and deadly bio timing with a lot of raxes...

This of course comes together with the "when to make stuff" dynamics of ZVT.
If the opponent is doing a Banshee/Hellion-based build, then with good macro and proper queen micro, you will be able to switch to 3rd exp+mutalisks+map control style and stay ahead in bases which will allow you to tech to hive and finish him with broods, for example.
If the opponent is doing a bio-heavy push, you need to make Baneling nest and hurry up with the speed as well.

These can be general or too general tips, but hey. The terrans are usually either going for a certain timing push, or simply will try and drop you in 1-2 places and definitely deny that 3rd from going up, while building their own 3rd. Mutas and good reactions/map awareness can help you preventing that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The single reason I would switch from Terran to Zerg is simply so I could use burrow and baneling landmines. That seems like a very underused tactic on the ladder and could decimate Terrans.

Probably because it requires a great deal of APM and map awareness to properly time the explosions.

jasonng

It also becomes a less viable strategy since terrans are already scanning to kill creep tumors. At least defensive wise, burrowed banes won't work.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Are Dapollo's Protoss videos any good?

Or should I just switch to Terran and a-move some marines to Gold+ :|

Yes, both his Zerg and Protoss videos are decent for newcomers. Provided they can follow along, he moves really quickly at times.

so you want to switch to terran to do what protoss is best at ?

Don't be silly. Terrans have to press T before they a-move.

Keikaku

It also becomes a less viable strategy since terrans are already scanning to kill creep tumors. At least defensive wise, burrowed banes won't work.
They work just fine if you use them off creep. They work on creep if you can multi-task and pressure the Terran as they're pushing.

Zzoram

Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk
ca.png
, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie, Ddoro, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

scogoth
Picon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

TheNiX
Ticon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

Maybe:
caderyn / Silversun
Ricon_small.png

fanboi

Banned

-when to expand
-when to make units
-when to tech
-when to scout
-WHAT to scout
-basically everything

So, let me help you.

1) 15 FE is standard. Then 16 pool, drone to 17, then OL.

2) With 15 FE, atleast what I do, is to build 4 queens directly. This will give you enough defence against 4 helions (you also build a spine) and you can drone like a madman.
Also since you have 2 extra queens, your creep spread will be god like.

When you have saturated 2 bases (around ~6 min mark), build 4 gases and go heavy gas. Resaturate bases and expand to third.

Also, if you are afraid of tank push, you need to get +1 in armour since lings will take one extra hit.

3) Tech... well, if you do above you will not get lair untill 7:30 something but then, depending on scout, go muta or infestors.

4) Scout should be done 5-6 min mark with OL. and keep a ling outside terrans base so you can see eventuall SCV all in or two rax something shit.

5) What to scout... Helion drops is a pain with my build since you are fragile against it, so if you see factory and starport with reactor... you bet it is helion drop play.

If starport with tech lab... banshees which is good since you have 4 queens (might need a spore).

cdyhybrid

Hooray. New problems.

ZvZ. I go with the build Panda posted a few pages back. If he doesn't go 7 pool + spine rush, I win. If he does, I lose. Only problem is, every single fucking Zerg goes 7 pool + spine rush. So I lose every time.

ZvT. There's 3 medivacs, 6 hellions, and 6 marauders in my base before I can even get my spire up. What the fuck am I supposed to do here? He goes hellions so I build 2 spines at the front and drone the rest of the way. But then there's an entire fucking army in my fucking base before my spire is even up.

I just get cheesed or 1base all-ined every fucking game. I can't even try to practice macroing and execute a strategy.

Keikaku

Hooray. New problems.

ZvZ. I go with the build Panda posted a few pages back. If he doesn't go 7 pool + spine rush, I win. If he does, I lose. Only problem is, every single fucking Zerg goes 7 pool + spine rush. So I lose every time.

ZvT. There's 3 medivacs, 6 hellions, and 6 marauders in my base before I can even get my spire up. What the fuck am I supposed to do here? He goes hellions so I build 2 spines at the front and drone the rest of the way. But then there's an entire fucking army in my fucking base before my spire is even up.

I just get cheesed or 1base all-ined every fucking game. I can't even try to practice
macroing and execute a strategy.
ZvZ
I use that build or a very similar one (I might go 14 gas/14 pool) and I can almost always hold off 7 pool+spine. If I don't, it's because I don't scout the spine or I engage poorly with my drones.

ZvT
Is this off 1 base? 2 base?

I keep a series of lings leading from my opponents base to mine, with one ling on hold position behind the minerals of their natural. That way, I can see if it's 1 base or 2.

For the specific situation you mention, I would:
  • Get 1-2 spines
  • Get 1, preferably 2 extra Queens. Spread creep tumors once, pool energy for transfuse otherwise.
  • If you don't see an expo by around the 6 min mark, make sure you have enough drones and pump speedlings.
  • Build a baneling nest. You'll probably need it in ZvT anyway.
  • Rally 1/2 the lings away from your base, out of scan range. Keep the other 1/2 by your base.
    [*]Don't panic
  • Lings will crush Hellion/Marauder with Spine+Queen support so long as you engage on creep, from multiple angles with your lings and get the surround.
  • Once you defeat his push, you can either expand yourself with a nice lead or just go kill him with lings+banes. Your choice

cdyhybrid

ZvZ
I use that build or a very similar one (I might go 14 gas/14 pool) and I can almost always hold off 7 pool+spine. If I don't, it's because I don't scout the spine or I engage poorly with my drones.

They bring all their drones, too. I just don't have enough to hold it off. Either I attack to prevent the spine from going up, which ends up with all my stuff dead because it's drones vs. drones and lings, or I wait until my lings pop, at which point the spine is already up. I don't know what to do.

ZvT
Is this off 1 base? 2 base?

I keep a series of lings leading from my opponents base to mine, with one ling on hold position behind the minerals of their natural. That way, I can see if it's 1 base or 2.

For the specific situation you mention, I would:
  • Get 1-2 spines
  • Get 1, preferably 2 extra Queens. Spread creep tumors once, pool energy for transfuse otherwise.
    [*]If you don't see an expo by around the 6 min mark, make sure you have enough drones and pump speedlings.
  • Build a baneling nest. You'll probably need it in ZvT anyway.
  • Rally 1/2 the lings away from your base, out of scan range. Keep the other 1/2 by your base.
  • Don't panic
  • Lings will crush Hellion/Marauder with Spine+Queen support so long as you engage on creep, from multiple angles with your lings and get the surround.
  • Once you defeat his push, you can either expand yourself with a nice lead or just go kill him with lings+banes. Your choice

1 base. The bolded is probably the piece of info that I needed. I'm starting from scratch with ZvT so that'll be very useful.

There's so many cheesers on the ladder. It seriously makes me not want to play. I feel like I have to 6 pool my way to Diamond before I can start playing games that last longer than 8 minutes. I can't even get matched up with someone that does a two-base all-in!

Edit: Oh one more thing. Is there anything I can do vs. a P who just turtles and rushes for a third on, say, Antiga? I feel like there's no way I can punish him because his defenses are too strong. Mutas come out too late. I can mass expand but he still just turtles to a deathball and a-moves and kills me.

Q8D3vil

They bring all their drones, too. I just don't have enough to hold it off. Either I attack to prevent the spine from going up, which ends up with all my stuff dead because it's drones vs. drones and lings, or I wait until my lings pop, at which point the spine is already up. I don't know what to do.

1 base. The bolded is probably the piece of info that I needed. I'm starting from scratch with ZvT so that'll be very useful.

There's so many cheesers on the ladder. It seriously makes me not want to play. I feel like I have to 6 pool my way to Diamond before I can start playing games that last longer than 8 minutes. I can't even get matched up with someone that does a two-base all-in!

Edit: Oh one more thing. Is there anything I can do vs. a P who just turtles and rushes for a third on, say, Antiga? I feel like there's no way I can punish him because his defenses are too strong. Mutas come out too late. I can mass expand but he still just turtles to a deathball and a-moves and kills me.

dont get fast Spire, i rather get 11 min spire and upgrades early.
if u saw huge number of hellion just get a roach warren and deal with them, remember that if he kept producing hellion he won't have a lot of tanks (unless he is going mech).

about zvz, just quit the match its not worth playing.

Keikaku

You sound really unlucky. I rarely get cheesed on the ladder and when if I do, anytime I lose it's always almost my fault.

ZvZ
If he brings his drones too continue mining, don't miss injects, don't miss Ovies, pump pure lings. You'll overwhelm him with numbers pure and simple. Then you can go kill him if he doesn't leave.

Say he get's a spine up . . . so what? It'll take forever and a day to kill anything and you can pump units and make stuff in the meanwhile. If you just wait for one or two production cycles, you'll have more than enough, combined with your Queen to kill it.

ZvP
Muta's can be out by the 10-11 minute mark in sufficient force to make the Protoss march back and forth between his 3rd and his main. You want to target pylons powering the Twilight Council first and foremost. When he moves his Stalkers into the main, send Lings+Roaches into his 3rd to delay or kill off as much of his army as possible.

Remember, Muta/Bling/Ling play is extremely viable and, if you're taking bases like a good Zerg you'll be nicely positioned to base race, but you can also transition out of it into Hive Tech. Broodlord/Infestor/Ling is really nice combo and you can apply good amounts of pressure to Protoss to make sure that they have a very hard time getting up their deathball.

The key is getting of an attack to delay their 3rd and, if you're using Mutas, constantly pressuring with them and not losing them to Storms. If you're using Banelings, Ovie Speed and Drop are essential upgrades.

And don't listen to Devil about ZvZ. If you want to practice making sure that you don't miss injects and ovies, ZvZ is the best matchup to do it. Also, 7 pool+spine is easy to hold off.

Q8D3vil

And don't listen to Devil about ZvZ. If you want to practice making sure that you don't miss injects and ovies, ZvZ is the best matchup to do it. Also, 7 pool+spine is easy to hold off.[/QUOTE]

just giving him heads up for the future, some day he will realize how much time he invested playing this shitty matchup.

cdyhybrid

about zvz, just quit the match its not worth playing.

I think you might be right. Everyone either just 7pool spine rushes or walls off and just powers roaches off one base. I can't saturate my expo because I'll die when he pushes. I can power off one base to counter but I dropped 300 minerals into a Hatchery so I die again. Can't beat anyone tonight. I don't think I'm good enough to play this game.

Oh wow, I just lost to a silver player. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause =\

Keikaku

just giving him heads up for the future, some day he will realize how much time he invested playing this shitty matchup.
I used to think it was bad too and I still get frustrated with it, but it's not a bad matchup.

It just plays completely differently than ZvT or ZvP. It's far more fast paced and relies on a greater amount of aggression, deception and counters. I like playing it :)

I think you might be right. Everyone either just 7pool spine rushes or walls off and just powers roaches off one base. I can't saturate my expo because I'll die when he pushes. I can power off one base to counter but I dropped 300 minerals into a Hatchery so I die again. Can't beat anyone tonight. I don't think I'm good enough to play this game.
He's absolutely wrong. Play against Panda or me and we'll help you :) And I've lost to Silver players too, it's no big deal. Post replays!

cdyhybrid

I used to think it was bad too and I still get frustrated with it, but it's not a bad matchup.

It just plays completely differently than ZvT or ZvP. It's far more fast paced and relies on a greater amount of aggression, deception and counters. I like playing it :)

He's absolutely wrong. Play against Panda or me and we'll help you :) And I've lost to Silver players too, it's no big deal. Post replays!

Alright, I'll post some so you guys have something to laugh at. What site should I use to upload them?

Q8D3vil

Oh wow, I just lost to a silver player. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause =\

its not about the rushes, i hate playing this matchup because its not fun to play.
herp derp tons of drones, get roaches then infestor into fungal war.

such a shitty matchup.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Teamliquid Page

MLG Winter Arena - Player List:

MLG Providence '11 Top 8
Leenock, Naniwa, DongRaeGu, Mvp, Huk
ca.png
, MC, Haypro, Idra
European OQ Top 8
Violet, Ret, Thorzain, Pomi, Socke, Sjow, Grubby, Merz
Korea/Taiwan OQ Top 8
Nestea, Parting, Losira, MarineKing, Oz, STC, Ganzi, San
North American OQ Top 8
Drewbie
ca.png
, Ddoro
ca.png
, Sheth, SaSe, Axslav, Artist, Minigun, DDE
ca.png

Toronto, Victory Cafe, 4pm-10pm, Feb.26th, BARCRAFT:

Going:
Zzoram
Picon_small.png

Pandaman
Zicon_small.png

scogoth
Picon_small.png

mcrae
Zicon_small.png

TheNiX
Ticon_small.png

Spl1nter
Ticon_small.png

Maybe:
caderyn / Silversun
Ricon_small.png
fixed.

Keikaku

First game, you missed a surround on his drones and then you engaged with your drones before your lings were out.

Second game, you got supply blocked on 44. Then you wasted 200 minerals on spines instead of lings/roaches. Remember, Roaches in small numbers are bad against lings so just make a ton of them. If he's making Roaches off 1 base with lings, he can't afford Banes, so you won't need to worry about it. Just pump lings.

If you need to, retreat to your ramp and hold that. Even if he damages your expo, your production will overrun him.

Additionally, park your Ovie over his natural so you can keep tabs on his expo timing, if he decides to do so.

So I recently decided to try and break out of bronze, I play terran, I don't think I am too terrible but I realize I have alot to learn, anyone wanna help me out?

cdyhybrid

Eight hour maintenance is ridiculous. BNet 2.0 is ass confirmed for 8345th time. Why can't you be good like you used to be, Blizzard?

Keikaku

If you link your online service with an MMO, yes it does.

They shouldn't have
I'm not a fan of their linking SC2 Bnet with WoW but that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with server maintenance time. Obviously, having less servers to maintain overall would reduce the time, but 8 hours is still really fast.

fanboi

Banned
If you link your online service with an MMO, yes it does.

They shouldn't have

Its good that they did for the people that play more then one game which is very common.
And for themself I would belive since they now need to tend to one sort of server cluster then different for each game.

Top Bottom