• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Zzoram

I tried the PvZ build that Vap showed last night, works well. I had to start off in a weird reset after holding off a 6pool though

Zzoram

some terran did a 1base 2port banshee attack with 2 vikings to scan+snipe obs, did a decent number on me but luckily i had a few paranoia cannons in my base so i survived and rolled him with better economy

it almost worked, after sniping my obs he focused down my robo and if i didn't already have a cannon up at each mineral i would've been dead

Vaporak

I tried the PvZ build that Vap showed last night, works well. I had to start off in a weird reset after holding off a 6pool though

Good to hear. It's a nice strategy for getting into a straight up macro game vs a Zerg and adaptable enough to go up against to both roach/hydra and ling/muta compositions. Here's the TL thread I got it from if you want to do more reading and see some replays of people better than I.

Zzoram

Good to hear. It's a nice strategy for getting into a straight up macro game vs a Zerg and adaptable enough to go up against to both roach/hydra and ling/muta compositions. Here's the TL thread I got it from if you want to do more reading and see some replays of people better than I.

I did lose to it once because teh guy went heavy roach hydra and I didn't have enough storms

should i mix in a colossus or two?

Vaporak

I did lose to it once because teh guy went heavy roach hydra and I didn't have enough storms

should i mix in a colossus or two?

Do you mean to defend your third, or when you're trying to take a fourth? No way to get both Collosai and Templar in time for the third defense. The old Voidray-Colossus-stalker is stronger vs roach hydra compositions and will help defend your third and fourth better than going templar will and is easier to control, but will ultimately be weaker after that period. I personally don't build any Colossai and just try and get off good storms on the hydras. One of the weakest periods of time for the strategy is defending the third so if that's where you're dieing it's kind of normal to have a hard time then.

Zzoram

The worst part about that nerf is that ZvT is balanced right now, they're going to break it.

ZvP is the one that needs some work.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The worst part about that nerf is that ZvT is balanced right now, they're going to break it.

pbF75.gif

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

One unit counters Ultras, Broods, Infestors, and to a lesser extent banelings, is balanced? Wat.

lol ZvT balanced. One unit counters everything, making zerg tier 3 units a joke. Hell Ghosts are rather ridiculous in PvT as well

so much of Terran needs to be completely overhauled imo. No more little changes here or there, it's clear the race has been overpowered since the game came out

Q8D3vil

the game is not balanced by any means, terran late game is garbage while their early game is good, protoss late game is op, zerg is also a joke when getting broodlord infestor and burrowed baneling are op as fuck.

edit: coming from a random player :p

Zzoram

Burrowed banelings are not OP. Terran had to deal with the same thing in Broodwar with lurkers, and they dealt with it with scan and a flying detector, both of which are still available.

Q8D3vil

Burrowed banelings are not OP. Terran had to deal with the same thing in Broodwar with lurkers, and they dealt with it with scan and a flying detector, both of which are still available.
flying detector that cost 200 gas and have 60 second building time
LOL

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zergs can beat Terrans just fine, and their win rates recently have been pretty much even.

'even' would be a range from 45-55, not 50-60 in terrans favour.
even would be zerg favoured over terran atleast once in the entire history of the game.

LOL
only 200 gas? how horrible. science vessels cost 225 gas and built in 80 seconds. stay free.

now tell us how hard it is to swap addons.

Zzoram

LOL

Terran typically has excess gas if going mostly bio, and the Raven has other uses too, PDD blocks muta and hydra shots, HSM is great for clumped anything, even if all you do is zone out mutas by making them fly away for a while, and autoturrets are like instant photon cannons

Fuchsdh

Terran typically has excess gas if going mostly bio, and the Raven has other uses too, PDD blocks muta and hydra shots, HSM is great for clumped anything, even if all you do is zone out mutas by making them fly away for a while, and autoturrets are like instant photon cannons

But right out of the gate they're mostly useless. I think the whole idea of producing casters that can't do jack for a while (including the HT in this) is just a stupid idea for the game. StarCraft II doesn't make you throw away units, but they're expendable--having you babysit units until they can do something useful isn't that fun (especially with Ravens, as they require a hell of a lot of upgrading.)

Vaporak

Ravens are so awesome; I can't believe Terrans still hardly build them. Reminds me of how Pro Terrans hardly even built ghosts for like the first 6ish months of the game.

But right out of the gate they're mostly useless. I think the whole idea of producing casters that can't do jack for a while (including the HT in this) is just a stupid idea for the game. StarCraft II doesn't make you throw away units, but they're expendable--having you babysit units until they can do something useful isn't that fun (especially with Ravens, as they require a hell of a lot of upgrading.)

I like it personally, it's adds a strategic timing element to using casters that you wouldn't get if the same/similar role was filled by a non energy unit.

Spl1nter

Ravens are so awesome; I can't believe Terrans still hardly build them. Reminds me of how Pro Terrans hardly even built ghosts for like the first 6ish months of the game.

Issue with ravens in pvt is there slow movement speed and size make them vulnerable to ht. However they can be good for PDD. Issue with pdd in the current meta game is most toss compositions are extremely stalker lite so they dont make a huge difference.

Honestly its not something I would be able to utilize effectively. I already have difficulty in hitting the toss with emp, have the vikings target firing and position army when engaging in battle. Having to add the ravens to that would not be pretty.

Zzoram

Ravens have an energy upgrade just like ghosts do they not?

Zzoram

Issue with ravens in pvt is there slow movement speed and size make them vulnerable to ht. However they can be good for PDD. Issue with pdd in the current meta game is most toss compositions are extremely stalker lite so they dont make a huge difference.

Honestly its not something I would be able to utilize effectively. I already have difficulty in hitting the toss with emp, have the vikings target firing and position army when engaging in battle. Having to add the ravens to that would not be pretty.

Then use HSM instead to zone out protoss units, if you launch 3 HSM's at a protoss death ball, good luck trying to figure out which unit was targeted and peel it off, the whole death ball will retreat allowing your marauders to chase them down for free kills.

Fuchsdh

Ravens have an energy upgrade just like ghosts do they not?

Yep. But even at high-level play I rarely see pros make more than one or two. Fully-upgraded Ravens in squads can tear up a matchup, but their disadvantages mean that you rarely see more than one or two made--and thus the upgrade is never worth it. They're not Infestors.

Spl1nter

Then use HSM instead to zone out protoss units, if you launch 3 HSM's at a protoss death ball, good luck trying to figure out which unit was targeted and peel it off, the whole death ball will retreat allowing your marauders to chase them down for free kills.

if the toss player cant feedback those ravens than you already won the game. considering the amount of damage SM does, emp is better against toss for doing damage.

Zzoram

Yep. But even at high-level play I rarely see pros make more than one or two. Fully-upgraded Ravens in squads can tear up a matchup, but their disadvantages mean that you rarely see more than one or two made--and thus the upgrade is never worth it. They're not Infestors.

Ravens cost only slightly more than infestors and Terran typically has more gas to spare than Zerg so it shouldn't be a big deal.

Why not use ravens and slowly build up their numbers by accumulating them over time like infestors? They're great at blocking corruptor and mutalisk shots, auto turret harass on minerals isn't bad, and HSM is really good on clumped Zerg units. At the very least you force their units to run away from you.

hoverX

Haven't played SC2 in ages but thought i'd try playing Protoss. Lovin it. I think i'll be playing this more in the near future.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I support this as long as Ghosts lose EMP.

I honestly think Viper+infestor is going to be more interesting.
Ghosts can lose EMP idgaf

Viper was a fucking joke at Blizzcon. 2x2 area 8? second dark swarm? Give me a fucking break. The grab is sort of nice but was at 125 energy. It's a giant ass gas sink only for late game utility that I can see unless they buff it. Late game Z already has Zerg Air + Infestor.

Infinity mini roaches from the burrow unit is cute, but 1a Ball syndrome doesn't give two shits about tiny squads of units moving around. I think there's potential with it though if used correctly.

But basically BW is perfect and everyone should play SC2:BW.

Top Bottom