• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Q8D3vil

imba fucking protoss.
see the Korean figures.
fucking imba as fuck
Here's a tip, stop switching races so you play enough of their mirror matchups to become proficient at them.
until you start getting 60-70% zvz and hate every fucking mirror match forever.

Zen

Banned
Zerg and Protoss just decided to flip winrates for this month, nothing to see here (Besides protoss getting better at all ining and timing pushes).

TvP isn't that big of a deal, whenever Protoss catches up, Terran discovers new timings. But seriously, Terran may be running out of new discoveries, and Protoss players are getting better and better at figuring out what the Terran is going to do, and striking a happy medium against a variety of Terran openers and timings.

The crux of the 'imbalance' between the two races is, if anything, that Protoss has the edge late game. The thing that has kept protoss struggling for so long is how flexible the Terran is early game, and thus able to surprise the Protoss or trick them into an incorrect composition (which is very delicate PvT). Early game scouting issues are actually much more serious for Toss than against Terran than they have ever been, or ever will be, for Zerg.

Basically Zergs QQ like children and have massive persecution and entitlement complexes, stemming from perceived inferiority that only existed earlier on in SCII unit and map design; come at me bro.

Deadman

"perceived inferiority"

Distant 3rd place in 3 of the last 4 months. Always been the losing race in tvz, sometimes to the point of it being beyond ridiculous.

Zzoram

I blame the shift in winrates on players getting better or worse.

For almost a year, only MC, Genius and Huk were actually any good in Korea/World, and Naniwa was only good outside Korea.

Now we've got Oz, HerO, Parting, and JYP.

On the Zerg front, Nestea and Leenock have been slumping, so they only have DRG in Korea now.

On the Terran front, they always had the most players and more good players, so MVP slumping is made up for by guys like aLive, Polt, and MKP coming back.

In Korea, there was always a racial imbalance because the majority of the good players that switched to SC2 picked Terran due to Terran being perceived to be the strongest, and because Terran seemed to benefit the most from having high APM. The influx of talent to Terran only further increased the perception of it being better since there ended up being a talent imbalance.

Protoss definitely got the shaft in terms of talent switching over. Protoss had the fewest successful and star players since the beginning, and only recently has that changed. Unless Genius wins tonight, MC remains the only Protoss to win GSL after 1.5 years because MC is the standout talent of the Protoss.

CyReN

rNUuV.png

Make sure you don't let something as simple as incognito mode screw you around this time.

Might buy a ticket if it's $5-$7 and the player list isn't bad.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd appreciate knowing what was bad about the casting or what to improve on. It's been quite a while.
I blame the shift in winrates on players getting better or worse.

For almost a year, only MC, Genius and Huk were actually any good in Korea/World, and Naniwa was only good outside Korea.

Now we've got Oz, HerO, Parting, and JYP.

On the Zerg front, Nestea and Leenock have been slumping, so they only have DRG in Korea now.

On the Terran front, they always had the most players and more good players, so MVP slumping is made up for by guys like aLive, Polt, and MKP coming back.

In Korea, there was always a racial imbalance because the majority of the good players that switched to SC2 picked Terran due to Terran being perceived to be the strongest, and because Terran seemed to benefit the most from having high APM. The influx of talent to Terran only further increased the perception of it being better since there ended up being a talent imbalance.

Protoss definitely got the shaft in terms of talent switching over. Protoss had the fewest successful and star players since the beginning, and only recently has that changed. Unless Genius wins tonight, MC remains the only Protoss to win GSL after 1.5 years because MC is the standout talent of the Protoss.
Yup. How many times have people heard me say that Protoss players were just all bad?
It wasn't sarcasm, it was legitimately true.

They weren't utilizing the benefits of their race, now some are. There's a lot of room to still be had, espcially with chrono, warp prisms, high ground, and FF. To be able to incorporate all of those at key points in the game and capitalize if they see an opportunity to do so.

Hell, I've been saying multidrop needed to be done for at least 9 months, maybe longer. Finally some Terran (Gumiho) takes advantage of shift queue and his seemingly notshit APM.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright...I think I'm starting to manage my macro a bit better as Zerg, but I still struggle to know when to build an army. I still don't know why I placed Plat when I keep losing to Gold (though I keep facing top 8 gold).

cdyhybrid

Alright...I think I'm starting to manage my macro a bit better as Zerg, but I still struggle to know when to build an army. I still don't know why I placed Plat when I keep losing to Gold (though I keep facing top 8 gold).
Division doesn't necessarily mean anything. They could be in gold with Plat MMR.

TheExodu5

Banned
My ZvZ is definitely better than my other matchups. It's an easy to understand matchup because I just need to worry about having more roaches and infestors than him. Other than that, micro is easy and spine crawlers are very valuable. ZvT...when he goes tanks or thors, I really struggle to know what and how many to build.

On a side note, kind of anxious for this Starcraft Master map to come out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok Hazard, this is the match that I'd like you to cast if you could please.

http://drop.sc/125108

It's me, the Silver Terran vs my friend who is Platinum Protoss who has been learning Zerg in the past week. He says he's beaten some Gold players with it so I guess he's about a Gold Level Zerg.

I know it's nooby as fuck so I guess rip it to shreds and we'll learn from it lol

Deadman

So with pax already clashing with ipl4 we now have the first mlg spring arena clashing with the dreamhack open: stockholm. gg organisers.

oh and not starcraft but mlg now has mortal kombat 9, soul calibur 5 and king of fighters 13 at columbus on the same day as norcal regionals (a large fighting game tournament)

Mairu

It's super annoying to see all these events conflict with each other. It's worse when one of them's an arena event scheduled inside a company's office, which you'd expect dates to be a little more flexible than an event inside a convention center or something where you have to deal with a third party as far as space availability.

I wish the organizations would at least appear to work together a little more often when it comes to events of the same kind (ipl, mlg, & dreamhack and not something like the pax/ipl confliction)

F#A#Oo

Banned
Does anyone know if I buy the GOM.TV monthly subscription whether it includes all the previous GSTL/GSL/Open Seasons from 2010 and 2011?

WedgeX

Banned
Well, ordered a new hdd and an external enclosure for my old hdd. Courtesy of aylinato having his computer. Ought to pick them up by next wednesday and have everything going next Friday or so. Really wish I had the money to pick up a new motherboard, processor, video card and ram too. Some day.

Wonder if it becomes like on purpose. They always say they talk...yet still always happen.

I'm all for competition and like the idea of tournaments being held in the same weekend; I see no reason why there can't be a big US and EU tournament on at the same time for instance.

Clearly MLG agrees, but they also seem intent on competing with IPL in the US. Good luck lol

Tashi

I'm all for competition and like the idea of tournaments being held in the same weekend; I see no reason why there can't be a big US and EU tournament on at the same time for instance.

Clearly MLG agrees, but they also seem intent on competing with IPL in the US. Good luck lol

Well it will be all about which players are at which tournament right?

Zen

Banned

Are you keeping control of watch towers? Also always keep a ling right outside the opponent base so you can tell when they're pushing out (95% of them will do it with their whole army). Keep overlords stationed in air space where drops would intersect as well. Maybe at Plat/Gold push timings aren't very predictable, but these things will help you have enough advance warning to react.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
if you mute a player in game, will they know? i prefer to mute everyone by default but i hope theyre not talking to nobody

Tashi

DeMuslim just matched against Leenock on the Korean Ladder. Gonna be awesome

wow, crazy game. Leenock is a beast!

edit:nevermind

edit2: they're doing customs now. Awesome!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Argh this custom game is rough.

Untouchable challenge, how the fuck is this even possible?

TheExodu5

Banned
challenge... three?

lol...well I thought it was harder than it was. The obvious thing to do was just create a choke, but since it didn't work the first few times I figured I had to do some fancy zealot swap or something. Guess not.

This map is awesome.

Round 12 is stumping me a bit...managing to get it down to 1 tank.

Trickster

How do you complete round 12? the 11 before that were very simple and easy, but making me have to kill 2 tanks and 10 marines in fifty seconds as a single infestor is just insane <_<

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
How do you complete round 12? the 11 before that were very simple and easy, but making me have to kill 2 tanks and 10 marines in fifty seconds as a single infestor is just insane <_<

throw infested terrans at the marines, then throw 2 terrans at each tank. It's a razor thin timing.

Snowman

Just finished up all the challenges on Starcraft Master.. Round 30 was hard, but once I realised you can just hold position the medivac right at the start, it got a lot easier :D

Edit:
uBVqj.jpg

Top Bottom