• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

ksan

So, pretty much every single ZvP ends in me losing my third and then doing some aggression but not enough damage. The other matchups I still do fine in, but this ZvP just doesn't work.
I'm trying to do the stephano-esque build with a fast third, but I really don't know how to handle early aggression at all, as it seems that you want to delay units but I really don't have any ideas of the timings anymore.

Spl1nter

So, pretty much every single ZvP ends in me losing my third and then doing some aggression but not enough damage. The other matchups I still do fine in, but this ZvP just doesn't work.
I'm trying to do the stephano-esque build with a fast third, but I really don't know how to handle early aggression at all, as it seems that you want to delay units but I really don't have any ideas of the timings anymore.

learn the timings and have good scouting. Then the matchup becomes stupidly easy at levels below masters. (Cant comment on masters zvp)

ksan

learn the timings and have good scouting. Then the matchup becomes stupidly easy at levels below masters. (Cant comment on masters zvp)

My latest ZvP loss was against a masters player who just mass zealoted me on 2 base (after FFE) and won with that... I'm just not good at reading the visual cues in the matchup anymore I guess...
It's annoying when one your matchups is significantly worse than the others, which nets you very few good games in just that matchup...

jasonng

A common toss tactic I noticed is harassing your third as soon as they get warp tech and warp in pure zealots. The way I've been countering it is scouting for proxy pylons near your third and taking it out with zerglings while building spines all around. If you're following Stephano's build you'll have more than enough minerals to supply spines. Not sure what happens during masters but a lot of early pressure can be held off with a lot of spines, zerglings, and some roaches.

ksan

A common toss tactic I noticed is harassing your third as soon as they get warp tech and warp in pure zealots. The way I've been countering it is scouting for proxy pylons near your third and taking it out with zerglings while building spines all around. If you're following Stephano's build you'll have more than enough minerals to supply spines. Not sure what happens during masters but a lot of early pressure can be held off with a lot of spines, zerglings, and some roaches.

Sounds exactly what I'm dealing with, and you're raising some good points!
What this means however is that I gotta take my third even quicker to get those spines up in time, but it's obviously worth to sacrifice some economy to not lose outright :D

edit: and yes! constantly trying to improve my pylon detection and ling scouting, it feels more important than ever to do that

Striek

You can have roaches by the time warpgate is done after FFE. Almost every zerg I play does the same ("Stephano") build because oh how easy and strong it is. Third hatch on like 24 supply, pure drones after 4 lings to about 40 supply, 4 extractors, roach warren, evo all at once whilst continuing to drone, mass roaches at about 60 supply when roach warren finishes. Lair, roach speed, delay toss third and/or kill any toss aggression, switch to mutas. The only time they don't do this is when they go 7 pool.

Spl1nter

My latest ZvP loss was against a masters player who just mass zealoted me on 2 base (after FFE) and won with that... I'm just not good at reading the visual cues in the matchup anymore I guess...
It's annoying when one your matchups is significantly worse than the others, which nets you very few good games in just that matchup...

Did he do 9/10 gate zealot only with proxy pylon? You have to scout these sort of all-ins. Once you have scouting down you win with the current meta game.

ksan

You can have roaches by the time warpgate is done after FFE. Almost every zerg I play does the same ("Stephano") build because oh how easy and strong it is. Third hatch on like 24 supply, pure drones after 4 lings to about 40 supply, 4 extractors, roach warren, evo all at once whilst continuing to drone, mass roaches at about 60 supply when roach warren finishes. Lair, roach speed, delay toss third and/or kill any toss aggression, switch to mutas. The only time they don't do this is when they go 7 pool.
Ok, thanks, I'll see how that works out compared to what I'm doing currently!
Did he do 9/10 gate zealot only with proxy pylon? You have to scout these sort of all-ins. Once you have scouting down you win with the current meta game.

No, he ffe:d and did a two base timing with mass zealots and I outright died! :(

Spl1nter

Ok, thanks, I'll see how that works out compared to what I'm doing currently!

No, he ffe:d and did a two base timing with mass zealots and I outright died! :(

Sorry a bit confusing, thats what I meant, as in 9 to 10 gateways and pure zealot. They stop collecting gas. Its the evolution of the original korean 4gate!

Gas scouting is extremely important in the match up.

ksan

Its just important to note there that stephano changes his build to be more greedy based on knowing there is 4 gas.

Hmm, cool...
Is there any specific timing the gases on the expansion usually go up? and does anyone know what maps it isn't safe to send your overlord to your opponents base like that?

Spl1nter

Hmm, cool...
Is there any specific timing the gases on the expansion usually go up? and does anyone know what maps it isn't safe to send your overlord to your opponents base like that?

First 2 gases are always 6 mins. Other gases depend on scouting information, but usually 2 more gases taken around 7-7:30. Think almost any map you can get good scout position like that. With FFE there isnt any units to kill your ovies for quite a while.

Holden

guys...

eve is now master.

Pvn6j.jpg

oh and fuck zerg

200/200 at 11min, seems balanced

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

fanboi

Banned
Follow this Stephano buildesque shit:

15p
20hatch
20hatch
42 double gas
52 roach+evo
(+1 range, ling speed)
70 lair (make infinity overlords)
Power roachling till 200 food

GAF, I am in need of assistance.

I have a decent internet connection, do you think I could host 4 people at my place playing SC2? I have no idea about the bandwidth requirements.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GAF, I am in need of assistance.

I have a decent internet connection, do you think I could host 4 people at my place playing SC2? I have no idea about the bandwidth requirements.
Yes.

Ty Yoshi, good, happening tomorrow, I'm excited :3

Just be sure nothing else is going on on your network. I have a 28Mb connection and when I had 3 other people running SC2 there were some hitches here and there. None of the other games we played online had any issues, but it seems the netcode for SC2 is hyper sensitive to other stuff being connected while multiple people connect to Battle.net.

Have fun!

Don't you wish LAN was possible though :3?

Yea, it would be nice, hopefully they give it back to us. I only started w/ SC2 so it doesn't hit me as much but yea I still want it :p

Just be sure nothing else is going on on your network. I have a 28Mb connection and when I had 3 other people running SC2 there were some hitches here and there. None of the other games we played online had any issues, but it seems the netcode for SC2 is hyper sensitive to other stuff being connected while multiple people connect to Battle.net.

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

Sounds exactly what I'm dealing with, and you're raising some good points!
What this means however is that I gotta take my third even quicker to get those spines up in time, but it's obviously worth to sacrifice some economy to not lose outright :D

edit: and yes! constantly trying to improve my pylon detection and ling scouting, it feels more important than ever to do that

As Jason said, it's very important to get a spine down asap. Despite your best scouting, a good toss can often sneak a pylon somewhere, especially on a map like Cloud Kingdom. Two spines wouldn't be a bad idea either

btw here's a more detailed look at Stephano's build
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=324733

Meeting - or at least coming close to - the drone benchmarks is key.

This is only for FFE Protosses... which is 85% of all matches against them.

I did it against a Toss who didn't expand, just to see what would happen. He did a one base Colosus rush lol

I'd love to practice it against one base rushes, seems dangerous as fuck but if it works you're golden

Top Bottom