• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

hamchan

I'm not sure how anyone could have believed that. I never heard him say it but i'd say it's pretty obvious he's joking.
Didn't seem like a joke when he said it in the Amnesia playthrough or on SOTG. I believe him when he says it. It's very plausible considering he was a strong brood war player. It also makes sense that he'd choose to be a caster over a player even with his skill, now that we've found out that casters make shitloads of cash.

cdyhybrid

Didn't seem like a joke when he said it in the Amnesia playthrough or on SOTG. I believe him when he says it. It's very plausible considering he was a strong brood war player. It also makes sense that he'd choose to be a caster over a player even with his skill, now that we've found out that casters make shitloads of cash.
Well he only said he made it to grandmaster, not that he's GM right now. He hasn't played in six weeks, and he said there's a difference between hitting GM and being a "grandmaster player. " He said it wouldn't be fair to categorize him as a gm player. I believe him.

Well then consider me surprised and i'm kinda impressed. As much as i enjoy their commentary in a way it's disappointing knowing that neither day9 or artosis will play competitively again.

jersoc

omg this is probably ancient news, and i don't have the blizz cup thread subbed, but tastosis casting tonight.

thank fucking god.

^ I don't believe day9 was in GM in all races. Maybe in the early beta he was high up (and translates that into 'equivalent' to GM or something).

Good SotG overall. Incontrol's schticks solid as usual, lol

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Why the hell am I still up watching SOTG? God damn, what a way to end the year.

(Best SOTG yet?)

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Why the hell am I still up watching SOTG? God damn, what a way to end the year.

(Best SOTG yet?)

H2cY8.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, sounds like I missed the fun!

jersoc

dj wheat saves the day lol.

so does she just stream her playing WoW or something? I can't imagine watching someone play wow is exciting :|

Striek

I would be shocked if Naniwa stays in Korea and bothers to compete again in the GSL. Well not really, but you would think pride would make him leave.

mcrae

just gonna plug my new favourite small time dj

http://soundcloud.com/brains4breakfast

in his track coco-electro at 20 minutes in you hear 'we are the blades' and then 30 seconds later 'we are the blades of aiur'

ive listened to it 5-6 times while studying this week and havent noticed, lol.

one of the tracks includes a 30 second sample from tourquise jeep, i think its lemme smang it but not sure.

all ive played in the past 2 weeks are 30 games of civilization sapphire, 30 games of bunkre wars, 3 4v4s and a 1v1 :(

Zen

Banned
I would be shocked if Naniwa stays in Korea and bothers to compete again in the GSL. Well not really, but you would think pride would make him leave.

He has said in the past that he wants to be in Korea to become the best player possible, but I could see him deciding not to return to the GSL. On the other hand, time heals all wounds, and if Naniwa think he can make money there and perform well, he probably will come back.

Q8D3vil

if he had any he would have played his match against nestea after all of that mlg drama.
He has said in the past that he wants to be in Korea to become the best player possible, but I could see him deciding not to return to the GSL. On the other hand, time heals all wounds, and if Naniwa think he can make money there and perform well, he probably will come back.
naniwa is one of the most paid foreigners.
i don't think he needs any.

V_Arnold

If ANYONE really is jealous of Day9 getting paid however much he deserves, well.... good for you, guys. I just want to see YOUR contribution to this scene done for day after day after day for months, even when he literally lacked the money sometimes to pay his rents (or just barely did it), AND working on a degree at the same time.

Fuck that bullshit. Day9 deserves ANY amount of money for what he has become. And yes, he IS worth 20-40 times more than any player who places anything below 3rd place on an event. Because a caster can make even a bad series sound entertaining. That is why he is way more important than any individual player. Deal with it.

Deadman

And this is why day9 can get all that money, his cultists are everywhere, supporting him more than the game and its players.

Deadman

It was in reference to the part of your post where you said he deserves any amount of money for what he has done and that he was worth 20-40 times more than any player below 3rd place. That he was way more important than any individual player.

To me this is supporting day9 more than supporting the game and its players.

He is a good caster, better than many, worse than others. To me this does not make him far more important than any pro player in the scene.

V_Arnold

It was in reference to the part of your post where you said he deserves any amount of money for what he has done and that he was worth 20-40 times more than any player below 3rd place. That he was way more important than any individual player.

To me this is supporting day9 more than supporting the game and its players.

He is a good caster, better than many, worse than others. To me this does not make him far more important than any pro player in the scene.

That is very freaking flawed view, man, especially when you just considered me a "cultist".
Day 9 worked INSANELY hard to get this, and on an event, there are TWO/FOUR casters, and 60+ players, it would be INSANE to assume that the casters (especially those that bring in the most attention/viewercount :Day9, Tasteless and Artosis) worth JUST as ONE "average" tourney-going player. It is simply the truth, I think, that casters worth way, way more.

Or I do not know why YOU turn into SCII streams. Me, I turn into good games with good casting - I cant even remember the last time I saw ANY game without a commentary, not because the games itself cant be fun to watch, but because I have no progamer ambitions right now, and I am here to be entertained -, and only a select few personalities are good enough to provide good entertainment for that.

I do not personally care about how the money is divided between them, to be honest. I do not care if the winner prize is less than what Day9 makes. Because there is a PRICE to get Day9-caliber casters to fly across the globe for you and dedicate 2-3 or even more days from his life to this event with work hours usually being more than 10 hours a day. No progamer does that, even if he comes from the loser's bracket in MLG, all the way from the down. Also: if a player feels that the prize pool is not high enough, they should choose not to participate, obviously. Once players feel that is not good, the organizers will need to get in some additional budget or reorganize how they divide what they have.

It is no cultist view to accept that casters make this whole sport entertaining to watch to the majority of people. And that needs to be paid with high money.

To put things in perspective: they DO worth more because if ANY of your favorite pro players are OUT of the tournament (even in pool stage, whatever, poor performance, Naniwa complex, you name it), they stop adding anything of value to that tournament. Day9? Day 9 does not get eliminated, he comes and he consistently works all day. He is not attached to any players and any matchups, he is there more consistently than the players.

Just think about what ONE (anyone!) player mean to a tournament organizer and what a caster mean. If you do not see how you get waaay more value out of a caster's job and importance, well... I do not know :p

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Day9 was pretty smart to get into the game early, don't think he puts out anything special but he was quick enough to gain a following.

Top Bottom