• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
so imba wtf

what if it was a terran with 6 scvs and just repairs them, sounds even more legit. This sounds like discrimination to me
its not discrimination when its true. probe rushes are significantly weaker than even other races worker rushes.

Zzoram

Day9 was pretty smart to get into the game early, don't think he puts out anything special but he was quick enough to gain a following.

He puts out the Day9 daily and has been doing it 5 days a week for years. How does he not put out anything special? He's arguably worked harder and more than anyone in Starcraft history at casting. Tons of people only got into watching Starcraft because of him.

I personally don't watch the Day9 daily and I prefer Tastetosis for casting, but I appreciate what Day9 does for the community and I recognize that he's one of the biggest attractions in the scene. Getting Day9 to cast your event means thousands more people watch it.

Huk and Idra are the two best paid foreigners, in large part because of the viewers they attract. Idra doesn't always do well but he gets a lot of people to watch, and that's why he has a big salary.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Just because he puts out something, doesn't mean it's anything great. Not saying he doesn't work hard, just don't think his show is all that.

Zzoram

i do agree, 7 probe rush is sounds a game to me

so 6 pool means that you should be banned from gsl now..?

7 probe rush without micro (and honestly even with micro) has 0% chance of winning unless your opponent doesn't respond

6pool has a good chance of winning, if not outright, then by doing damage and getting an advantage

they are not even close to being comparable, also

472192446-c2249e3b78f60dc10eeb6018975b66de.4ee888b8-full.gif

does that look like a player that is remotely trying or even giving a fuck?

Zzoram

Just because he puts out something, doesn't mean it's anything great. Not saying he doesn't work hard, just don't think his show is all that.

I don't care much about his show either. Tens of thousands of people do. That's why he's valuable.

I don't know if anyone here is Canadian, but Don Cherry is a commentator that talks about NHL hockey games during intermissions and before/after games. He's making over a Million a year to talk about games, that's more than all but the best players in the NHL make. Why does he get paid this much? He brings in big ratings, moreso than any individual player could bring. Therefore, that's his market value.

Day9 and Tastetosis have really high market value because they bring in a ton of fans and improve ratings for tournaments that have them. They won't make as much as the best players but they'll make more than the good players because they're certainly worth more.

Also, contrary to popular belief, finding a good caster is really hard. Look at Gretorp and Moletrap, nobody even likes them. They actually hurt ratings of tournaments. Getting a good caster is a big deal.

I personally prefer Tastetosis to everyone else, and will preferentially watch anything that they cast.

Deadman

@Slasher Rod Breslau
Providence did not award Naniwa a Code S spot, only the Blizzard Cup. He was going to be given Code S, that which was revoked. Not as bad.

Seems fair enough, they were going to be nice and give him a spot, he was mean so they didnt.

People are saying that hes not banned from code a qualifiers either, just not invited to code s anymore.

I don't care much about his show either. Tens of thousands of people do. That's why he's valuable.

I don't know if anyone here is Canadian, but Don Cherry is a commentator that talks about NHL hockey games during intermissions and before/after games. He's making 10+Million a year to talk about games, that's more than all but the best players in the NHL make. Why does he get paid this much? He brings in big ratings, moreso than any individual player could bring. Therefore, that's his market value.

Day9 and Tastetosis have really high market value because they bring in a ton of fans and improve ratings for tournaments that have them. They won't make as much as the best players but they'll make more than the good players because they're certainly worth more.

I personally prefer Tastetosis to everyone else, and will preferentially watch anything that they cast.

Don Cherry is the man. Hockey Night in Canada is one of my favorite things to watch.

Dooraven

Seems fair enough, they were going to be nice and give him a spot, he was mean so they didnt.

People are saying that hes not banned from code a qualifiers either, just not invited to code s anymore.

Hmm that contradicts their agreement:
http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors3/news/65291
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mlg-and-the-gsl-create-groundbreaking-player-exchange-program

I suppose they might just twist it into Providence not being part of the "Pro Circuit Live Competition"

Edit: Also MLG own article on this: http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/naniwas-ascension/
Gom are seriously smoking shit on this one.

Zzoram

GOM is being stupid in the way they are handling this. They should just be straight forward instead of trying to twist words about Naniwa's seed.

They are still right to revoke Naniwa's Code S seed though. This kind of behavior needs to be discouraged and that will never happen until someone is made an example of. Naniwa is notorious for horrible behavior at all tournaments, and has even been banned from several EU tournaments before.

GOM isn't even banning him, they just took away his Code S seed. If he wants, he can try to qualify for Code A and then win his way into Code S again. I think he can qualify if he plays as well as he has been lately.

However, he does have GSL record of 1-12, with his only win being a PvP in GSTL.

Dooraven

Yeah, I don't have a problem with them disqualifying him from Code S at all but to say that he never got it is making them really stupid. They should really stop trying to twist and bullcrap their way out of this and just be straightforward.

Zzoram

Yeah, I don't have a problem with them disqualifying him from Code S at all but to say that he never got it is making them really stupid. They should really stop trying to twist and bullcrap their way out of this and just be straightforward.

Agreed there.

I think this whole thing will blow over pretty quickly. It's not a ban so he might be in GSL 2012 Season 1 anyways if he qualifies. Also, there might be deals set up to allow foreigners to qualify from foreign tournaments in 2012, where Naniwa might win another Code S seed. There are so many tournaments that we won't even notice.

Deadly

Hmm that contradicts their agreement:
http://www.gomtv.net/2011gslsponsors3/news/65291
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/mlg-and-the-gsl-create-groundbreaking-player-exchange-program

I suppose they might just twist it into Providence not being part of the "Pro Circuit Live Competition"

Edit: Also MLG own article on this: http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/naniwas-ascension/
Gom are seriously smoking shit on this one.
Yeah clearly is BS. It was totally the other way around.

Zzoram

shame that mlg didn't ban him after his comment about the tournament.

Apparently Sundance was going to disqualify him but Naniwa's coach from Complexity at the time negotiated for just a penalty.

Naniwa was supposed to lose his ability to pick maps after a loss in his games against Huk but Huk let him pick anyways.

Trickster

Apparently what mr chae said when he announnced naniwi not getting his code s seed is causing a bit of a stir in itself, wondering if anyone know what he said, or where i can find it myself ?

Zzoram

I think the "amateur" thing is about him not acting professional (understandable) and "prize money hunter" may be what they interpreted from Naniwa saying that he had nothing to gain by playing the last match, since no money was on the line.

LakeEarth

I like it when he just takes a match and drills down into its core, pointing out tiny things that no one could possibly notice by just "watching" the replay. The other stuff, not so much.

Funday Monday was awesome at first because he put on restrictions that would lead to some interesting timings, but now they've mostly been stupid limitations played by bronze and silver players.

Deadly

[This is all through translation, they still haven't made a real statement about him in english.
They're obviously going to clean that up for official PR. Hasn't alot of pro-gamers said they only play for the money before? I'm sure I've seen it in an interview before...

Zzoram

They're obviously going to clean that up for official PR. Hasn't alot of pro-gamers said they only play for the money before? I'm sure I've seen it in an interview before...

Stephano said he's just playing for as much money as possible before September 2012 when he retires and goes to University. That's why he wouldn't play GSL, it would take too long and foreign money is easier.

Spl1nter

I am installed, patched up, and ready to play. Had to re-localize the game from European version but it wasn't that big of an issue.

V_Arnold

Twitter is an interesting beast. Even executives, directors, pro-players and pr managers did not learn how to write in a professional way with that character limit.

At some point, I started treating everything written on twitter as a personal opinion, and that helps, really. No poing getting angry at GOM for that.

Dooraven

Some More player thoughts I guess:

Morrow:
why cant just gsl apologize and be the bigger man here and admit their faults for even having the game played rather than punishing naniwa to play a game that didnt matter

if a game doesnt matter, ask the players if they want or dont want to play the game, if not, then give w.o

its retarded and naniwa is the one taking the blow here for something that wasnt his fault

you dont ban a player for not having his hands on his keyboard while playing, if that was the case sjow wouldnt be a progamer anymore :)D)

also you dont ban someone for looking bored

this is a proffecional sports and players play by the rules of the tournament. naniwa did not break any rules. what is there left to say?

we are progamers, not actors. if you want to watch acting go pay for a movie instead of a sc2 tournament

they tournament admins again, must allow players to give walkover in a match that doesnt matter. its the format and the rules that allow stuff like this to happen. situations where players dont want to win, always gets messy. so im not saying what naniwa did was ethical or not, that doesnt matter to me. what matters to me is that gsl fucks up, points the finger at naniwa but not only that, punishes him for not acting a game

if i was in naniwas position id request for a walkover, if not id drink 10 cups of coffee and get some food poisioning or some shit. because a player never wants to act serious in a game. because if he loses people think he played bad and serious, and if he wins, people know his build order. its a lose lose situation for a player to get into a situation where he has to play a televised game that doesnt matter

Q8D3vil

Some More player thoughts I guess:

Morrow:

swede defending swede.
he got payed to play his match and he decided to shit on every viewer watching the games.
fuck him for ruining a game that was anticipated by everyone.

don't defend him because he is a protoss.
hopefully he get 2-0 again in code a if even managed to qualify.

ksan

swede defending swede.
he got payed to play his match and he decided to shit on every viewer watching the games.
fuck him for ruining a game that was anticipated by everyone.

don't defend him because he is a protoss.
hopefully he get 2-0 again in code a if even managed to qualify.

You are truly delusional.
It's quite funny to see people like you call him out for being a bitch, when you, and the other guys doing the same shit, are in fact ten times worse.

Q8D3vil

You are truly delusional.
It's quite funny to see people like you call him out for being a bitch, when you, and the other guys doing the same shit, are in fact ten times worse.
i know others did it (morrow, stephano, idra, demuslim...... and many other).

good to see finally someone is paying the price.

ksan

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i cant imagine any contract existing where an organization loses control over who can attend their events. that woulld be very silly.

ksan

i cant imagine any contract existing where an organization loses control over who can attend their events. that woulld be very silly.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=294893&currentpage=7#132
They had control, they decided that the spot should be handed out like this:
Pro Circuit Players Competing in the GSL
At MLG Columbus, the Top 3 non-Korean finishers will each be placed into GSL Code A.
At every 2011 Pro Circuit Live Competition after MLG Columbus, GSL placement will occur as follows:
Code S status will be awarded to the highest placing player, within the Top 3, regardless of country of origin, who does not already have Code S status.
Code S status will not be awarded if all of the players placing 1st-3rd already have Code S Status.
Code A status will be awarded to the next three highest placing non-Korean players.
If Code S status is awarded to a Korean player, or not awarded at all, Code A status also will be awarded to the 4th highest placing non-Korean player.

Top Bottom