• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Not much else to do with them since marines will just pop and target them though :/

Maybe lay some mines on the way / retreat?

Good TvZ always looks impossible to defend against. Mainly because Zergs don't split their banes and engage right, but still.
Every time I see 20 banes rolling together it actually means that they want to lose. There is no excuse. NONE

Finally some roach pressure/all-in.
Zerg all-ins, looks like Terran early pressure.

It's because banelings don't have a speed boost button like Marines do.

Aylinato

I was really hoping Idra wouldn't fall again and start getting nervous(when a series gets on his nerves he totally loses it)

if anyone wants to do teamgames get on mumble and tell me

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Does Idra not believe in come backs?
'You can't comeback as Zerg. It's not a comeback race.'

And for the most part I agree with him with the style he plays. He expects his opponents to play near flawlessly, and for the most part they do (Korean Terrans).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
just streamed FF12 international version for last 2 hours. yall should follow me on jtv to let you know when I stream next!

....lulz :p

TheExodu5

Banned
What's the ladder distribution? What percentage of players are in each tier (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, master)? Just curious.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i have heard that if you include all copies of the game, 56% of the total playerbase is bronze 1v1 or lower. [practice/unranked]

its kind of spooky to think that a bronze top 8 player is better than most people who play starcraft. >_>

jasonng

its kind of spooky to think that a bronze top 8 player is better than most people who play starcraft. >_>
Top 8 Bronze just means you have the guts to ladder which is a feat in itself for a newcomer. The bonus pool is very forgiving enough to place you up there. Doesn't necessarily mean they're better than an unranked player at that skill level.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Top 8 Bronze just means you have the guts to ladder which is a feat in itself for a newcomer. The bonus pool is very forgiving enough to place you up there. Doesn't necessarily mean they're better than an unranked player at that skill level.
i dunno, burning bonus pool means you have at least figured out the win conditions o the game, thats a start compared to most unranked.

jasonng

But it's not a bizarre concept to be building a group of attack unit and defeating your opponent with such. No one is playing a 1v1 and thinking they're playing Sim City.

jasonng

Just because someone decides to mass Battlecruisers at 200 food doesn't mean they're 100% passive.

I'm arguing less about the skill level and more about the importance of just laddering. Having the balls to accept loses and grow means a lot at bronze.

zlatko

Banned
But it's not a bizarre concept to be building a group of attack unit and defeating your opponent with such. No one is playing a 1v1 and thinking they're playing Sim City.

As a Zerg player I'm all about the passive play, because I k now the longer a game goes, the better my macro is in my leagues to come out on top. I'll rarely attack and basically do Sim City to keep taking more of the map, UNLESS I'm up 3 bases and he's still on one.

FoxSpirit

As a Zerg player I'm all about the passive play, because I k now the longer a game goes, the better my macro is in my leagues to come out on top. I'll rarely attack and basically do Sim City to keep taking more of the map, UNLESS I'm up 3 bases and he's still on one.
Retting it up, huh??

Seriously, I have to learn Ret style, was soo impressed by his approach to macro and defense.... what a beast. If he didn't make really poor decisions from time to time he would be absolutely top.

nilbog21

Banned
so any of u fools on dota2? shit is pretty fun! although the game on the whole is rather bad (compared only with starcraft).. it still feels like the most bad ass custom game EVER MADE. and the interface is so sick, its only beta and its already lightyears ahead of starcraft. sc2gaf declared inactive

jasonng

so any of u fools on dota2? shit is pretty fun! although the game on the whole is rather bad (compared only with starcraft).. it still feels like the most bad ass custom game EVER MADE. and the interface is so sick, its only beta and its already lightyears ahead of starcraft. sc2gaf declared inactive
Whose dick do I have to suck to get into the beta!?

TheExodu5

Banned
active players are distributed:
bronze/silver/gold/plat/diamond/masters+
20/20/20/20/18/2

20%, 20%, 20%, 20%, 18%, 2%

edit: gg no re panda

Thanks. Damn, guess Platinum ain't that good, then. Gotta work my way up!

So far I say I have a good grasp on the game, but am not familiar with a lot of general strategies, and I can't quite maintain macro all that well in the mid stages of the game, where I'll go above 1k minerals fairly easily. When I scout my oponent and see heavy gas, I know he's teching. When he's staying on 1 base, he's going for an early timing push. When he's fast expanding, he's going for economy. Beyond that, I don't recognize specific builds and timings (for example, the 6-gate that was quoted to me yesterday).

I guess I'm at a decent place for only having a dozen or so games under my belt. Most of my knowledge comes from watching the GSL, and simply emulating what I see there helps quite a bit. Still, I feel like it's going to take a lot of work and practice to advance much further as I'm going to have to start seriously paying attention to specific signs and timings rather than just the "feel" of the game.

When I see my oponent going for early economy, especially Protoss, I'm starting to go for baneling busts. I feel like I don't have the skill and situational awareness to do very well once I start going to 3 bases, so I'm trying to end the games earlier if possible. So far, my games are usually won at tier 1.5 or tier 2. Either I baneling bust and take it, or I defend a heavy timing push and win with a counter-attack.

So I'm out of town next week for business in a town that has nothing in it besides an Applebee's so I'm going to take my desktop w/ me so I can play SC2. Yea, I'm hooked.

Holden

Whose dick do I have to suck to get into the beta!?

I would give you one but i don't have any D:
thing is about dota2 is that its a pain in the ass to start since there are so many heroes and items. But ya the interface is just sooooo good

and teamliquid is being pretty supportive with all the dota2 streams, wish is cool :]

ultron87

The DOTA 2 heroes don't stand out enough from the mobs.

That is pretty much my only input from what I've seen of my housemate playing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The DOTA 2 heroes don't stand out enough from the mobs.

People who say this need to speak to an optician asap.

Also the new map:

Sw79q.jpg

Holden

no offense to dota2gaf and hongaf, but most of dota2gaf comes from hongaf and hongaf is just nothing comparable with sc2gaf :). Moslty why i only play with sc2gaf (knives / ksan)

why'd you link to the middle of the thread?

i was wondering the same thing

FoxSpirit

Also the new map:

Sw79q.jpg
A new monitor may be in place too, current TN panels can put out some really washed out pictures. The change from my 120Hz gaming TN to my 40" TV panel is huuuge, watching SC2 on that thing reveals a whole other level of stand-out. OLED monitors can't come fast enough :-\

TheExodu5

Banned

Also the new map:

Sw79q.jpg

He's right, though. Some of the heroes are too similar in size to the creeps. There's no confusing heroes to creeps in HoN since they're all bigger than creeps.

Once you get used to it, I'm sure you can distinguish quickly on the fly, but it's difficult for the first few games.

Glad to see the map has been updated. Did they update the hero symbols on the map as well? I feel like they needed some sort of outline to make them stand out more. Some can be difficult to spot at a glance, especially to someone who has a bit of red/green colorblindness.

Holden

i'm still wondering how ppl can confuse heroes and creeps, creeps have 4 models... its like confusing a marauder and a stalker....

ultron87

i'm still wondering how ppl can confuse heroes and creeps, creeps have 4 models... its like confusing a marauder and a stalker....

For me in the little I've watched it is because everything shares a muted color palette. I'm sure it would be fine if I played more.

But yeah, back on topic:

Ghosts are such bullshit.

Top Bottom