• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

i have found a comedy goldmine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AllThingsTerran/

dem tears so delicous.

when has destiny ever expressed interest in sponsorship money or joining teams?

he didn't even go to tournaments when quantic was paying his travel fees.

Maybe I confused something, but I wasn't saying that is what Destiny wants (maybe that's what his fans want), I'm just saying that is something he would need to take into account should those be his desires. I'd say it extends to tournaments as well should a tournament not let him participate.

I've been saying the same thing since early 2010. SC2 is incredibly boring to watch early-game, and most games are still one-sided stomps, which blows my mind, frankly. Hopefully HotS/LotV can rectify some of this and make strategy (beyond mindgaming build orders) meaningful. It really only got hyper popular because it came out at the perfect time with streaming becoming big alongside the growth of the scene.

Let's be real -- Blizzard honestly had no idea what they were doing when they developed this game from a community standpoint, nor from a competitive gaming standpoint. The lack of features is astounding, still, from a game that wants to be billed as the premiere esport game.

Also, Destiny is a racist loser. No tournament should associate themselves with him.

Check your PMs loser!

Mairu

I've been saying the same thing since early 2010. SC2 is incredibly boring to watch early-game, and most games are still one-sided stomps, which blows my mind, frankly. Hopefully HotS/LotV can rectify some of this and make strategy (beyond mindgaming build orders) meaningful. It really only got hyper popular because it came out at the perfect time with streaming becoming big alongside the growth of the scene.

Let's be real -- Blizzard honestly had no idea what they were doing when they developed this game from a community standpoint, nor from a competitive gaming standpoint. The lack of features is astounding, still, from a game that wants to be billed as the premiere esport game.

Also, Destiny is a racist loser. No tournament should associate themselves with him.

If competitive features determined a game's popularity in esports dota2 would be the most popular and watched game around, even with it still being in "beta"

dude, flash vs bisu.

14CC into 1 rax marine pressure and it does damage!

Very good match, just saw. That was 3rax pressure tho

More SC2 games need some early pressure from both sides. I feel like TvP might be best suited for this, given the turtle nature of everything zerg is involved in lol

If competitive features determined a game's popularity in esports dota2 would be the most popular and watched game around, even with it still being in "beta"

>1m viewers for The International.

Yeah, why the shit would a competitive game need competitive features to be popular?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
This thread....lol

L6ozM.gif

(._.)

Banned
Are there any benefits in PvP to send an early probe at 9/10 to scout your opponent and when you get there take both their gasses ?

Snowman

Watching Grubby's stream, he's in a lategame PvP against Tod and is sending speed warp prisms in with a single HT to try and ninja feedback Tod's mothership o_O

Kinda awesome.

zargle

Are there any benefits in PvP to send an early probe at 9/10 to scout your opponent and when you get there take both their gasses ?

Well, they cant research warpgate/build stalkers or sentries until at least one of those are gone. It was done to me once, I built a bunch of zealots to hold until i could stabilize.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Watching Evo alongside nearly 100k people online convinced me SC2 will continue to lose popularity and remain a niche esport. Fighting games and dota are quite casual friendly, meaning people play a lot with their friends and watch streams. SC2 has too high of a learning curve due to being an rts, and the online system turns players off. The player base seems to just stagnate

To make matters worse, I'm starting to realize watching SC2 can be boring. I love the mid and end game, but the beginning of every game is boring unless it's ZvZ or PvP where aggression starts fast. As a test, find a random good BW tournament match and skip to the 5min mark. You'll see a battle most of the time. Whereas with SC2 nothing is happening at the five minute mark, as tech is chosen a couple minutes later. Personally I love playing SC2 early game, and prefer the macro style over BW but in terms of watching, it's boring

Most of the gsl matches this season have been amazing right, but all of them start with mundane openings. Sure I get a bit excited/worried when I see a protoss take one gas at their natural against a Zerg, but to casual viewers they must be bored out the gate.
I think it has it's place. Much like (American) football the game has a lot of downtime and can ramp up quickly into something really interesting.

It's something you can leave on and watch here and there if you are a casual watcher, or watch intently if you plan on learning or are really into it.

Fighting games are basically 100% attention to me and everything happens so fast you need to be focused on the match.

In SC2 I think certain things are easier to understand because there are no hidden mechanics and things like army supply, worker count, upgrades, etc are very tangible. That said most fighting games I think are fairly easy to explain how important ______ bars/meter a player has and health is universal. Also for someone coming in seeing two people beat on each other has a kind of core satisfaction.

I really enjoy watching good matches of both genres. KoF was mad hype. ST was mad hype. Marvel was an emotional rollercoaster. AE had good matches when the to be winner wasn't playing. Just pure dominance. SCV was ok for me, but I don't follow that game. MK9 was ok, it had a moment here or there. VF5 was ok for the amount of time it took up also.
Just two kinds of entertainment for me.

Mairu

>1m viewers for The International.

Yeah, why the shit would a competitive game need competitive features to be popular?

I'm not saying a game doesn't need competitive features, I'm saying the most feature-complete game right now is Dota2 and its numbers are consistently low. The International numbers are deceptive as it was the launch of a new game where the majority of those alleged 1 million viewers likely came from China. There have been tournaments for Dota2 since The International as well as great new features added to the game by Valve but it's a relatively low game in terms of viewer count.

I don't know why you would attack that statement with that line anyways, it's obvious I think highly of Dota2 otherwise I wouldn't acknowledge its features. I'd love for the popularity of League of Legends and Dota2 to be switched, but LoL has been a monster since its debut in WCG where they didn't even have a real spectator mode

I think it has it's place. Much like (American) football the game has a lot of downtime and can ramp up quickly into something really interesting.
Good comparison. Similar as to how Baseball is so popular when the entire spectator experience is boring.

Holden

I'm not saying a game doesn't need competitive features, I'm saying the most feature-complete game right now is Dota2 and its numbers are consistently low. The International numbers are deceptive as it was the launch of a new game where the majority of those alleged 1 million viewers likely came from China. There have been tournaments for Dota2 since The International as well as great new features added to the game by Valve but it's a relatively low game in terms of viewer count.

I don't know why you would attack that statement with that line anyways, it's obvious I think highly of Dota2 otherwise I wouldn't acknowledge its features. I'd love for the popularity of League of Legends and Dota2 to be switched, but LoL has been a monster since its debut in WCG where they didn't even have a real spectator mode

Good comparison. Similar as to how Baseball is so popular when the entire spectator experience is boring.

pretty sure dreamhack dota2 had just as much viewers as starcraft...

And i don't think china follows the foreigh scene that much

Mairu

I don't think it did, but then it gets into whether you're comparing average viewer count versus peak. They usually go over those numbers in The GD Show, but I'm at work right now so I can't really pull up their post-DH summer vod to check to see if they mentioned both numbers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just got Haz to defend SC2. My day is set
You said it yourself.

SC2 right now is shit. Maybe when more people actually start to become good at it it'll be better to watch. I'll check the recommended games for Ro8 and see if anything is worth watching.

It's heavily flawed AS A SPECTATOR due to worker saturation and food counts, stupid fucking abilities and units. Balance wise they've done a good job, but it's boring a lot of the time.
Hopefully with the introduction of new units being game changers we'll get a bit back of that 'everything is imbalanced' gameplay that BW had.

Also Zerglings need a buff.

*And GSL Finals don't reveal stream numbers so who knows how popular that is. Didn't MLG also get some good concurrent numbers? And there's no other foreign investment like Korea, China, Japan, Mexico etc.

WE + Yaphets vs Captain Planet showmatch was over 1 million as well. Why are Chinese viewers any less important? Eyeballs are eyeballs.

Dota 2 has had like 2 big LANs since TI1, both with incredibly solid viewer numbers.

SC2's growth has slowed down significantly since the Koreans got a taste of those western dollars.

Across all of the streams, I believe Dota was over 60k at Dreamhack.

I don't think it did, but then it gets into whether you're comparing average viewer count versus peak. They usually go over those numbers in The GD Show, but I'm at work right now so I can't really pull up their post-DH summer vod to check to see if they mentioned both numbers.

The Defense pulls over 10k almost daily and gets near 20k when two big teams play.

You said it yourself.

SC2 right now is shit. Maybe when more people actually start to become good at it it'll be better to watch. I'll check the recommended games for Ro8 and see if anything is worth watching.

It's heavily flawed AS A SPECTATOR due to worker saturation and food counts, stupid fucking abilities and units. Balance wise they've done a good job, but it's boring a lot of the time.
Hopefully with the introduction of new units being game changers we'll get a bit back of that 'everything is imbalanced' gameplay that BW had.

I can get down with a Zergling buff. BW lings were FIERCE.

Yes, SC2 balance is outstanding for the most part. SC2 is boring because it so rarely goes to players doing anything strategic that it is BO vs BO for a significant part of the game and likely ends there. SC2 games where strategy/tactics actually happen are outstanding to watch.

You said it yourself.

*And GSL Finals don't reveal stream numbers so who knows how popular that is. Didn't MLG also get some good concurrent numbers? And there's no other foreign investment like Korea, China, Japan, Mexico etc.

As I said, I really enjoy the mid and late game most of the time, and love watching SC2. But there's no question it has some problems especially in terms of boring early game. It's hard to hook people to the game when nothing happens for the first 5-6 minutes of a match.

I'm still going through the Ro16 of this GSL and so far the play has been great, but it's not hard to see the flaws. A player can completely dominate a protoss and regulate them to two bases - then the toss builds 4 Colosus and boom game over. Nearly every time I see a Colosus I want to break something.

While I do want a ling buff, I'd imagine that would cause some imbalance in the early game. Give me BW lings and I'd literally laugh at Protoss

Snowman

I'm still going through the Ro16 of this GSL and so far the play has been great, but it's not hard to see the flaws. A player can completely dominate a protoss and regulate them to two bases - then the toss builds 4 Colosus and boom game over. Nearly every time I see a Colosus I want to break something.

Ahaha! I was almost with you until that part.. Dat zerg rage

Zzoram

Day9 told this story about a nerdy girl he asked out with a letter written in Olde English and she responded with a print out of a javascript logic tree and he kept calling her Felicity in his story until he slipped up and said "Nat..." for a second and then everyone in his stream chat started looking up Natalie's from his college lol.

SC2 is boring sometimes because Blizz played it "too safe" with some of their units.

Seriously, who over there looked at the Roach, Colossus and Corrupter and said "yep that's a really fun and exciting unit"

Worst of all, those units are still in the expansion.

SC2 is boring sometimes because Blizz played it "too safe" with some of their units.

Seriously, who over there looked at the Roach, Colossus and Corrupter and said "yep that's a really fun and exciting unit"

what?! Colossus are awesome!

Vaporak

To be fair Collosai actually sound kinda interesting on paper, and so did the old broke good roach. The real problem is that they ended up kind of crappy and Blizzard wants HotS to just keep everything the same from WoL and just add a couple new units.

To be fair Collosai actually sound kinda interesting on paper, and so did the old broke good roach. The real problem is that they ended up kind of crappy and Blizzard wants HotS to just keep everything the same from WoL and just add a couple new units.

They don't want to pull a frozen throne yet.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Korean WCS

58550.png

Dear GOMTV.net users,
We are happy to announce that GOMTV will be hosting and broadcasting Blizzard Entertainment's StarCraft II World Championship Series (WCS) National Qualifiers for South Korea.

The National Qualifiers will be held over a period of 3 weeks from August 6th until August 25th. The event will be broadcasted live in Korean for the local audience and in English for the international audience by GOMTV.

Details:
- Tournament period: 2012/08/06 - 2012/08/25
- Total participants: 32 players
* 10 Players: Ranks 1-10 of the 2012 GSL Point Ranking (Including Season 3, which is still in progress)
* 6 Players: KeSPA recommended seeds
* 16 Players: Determined via offline preliminaries on July 22nd-23rd​
- Total prize money: 30,000,000 KRW

Link has GSL point list, wont post since its contains spoilers for current GSL season.
http://www.gomtv.net/forum/view.gom?topicid=223002&cid=0&kind=8

clav

Day9 told this story about a nerdy girl he asked out with a letter written in Olde English and she responded with a print out of a javascript logic tree and he kept calling her Felicity in his story until he slipped up and said "Nat..." for a second and then everyone in his stream chat started looking up Natalie's from his college lol.

Felicity seems to be his pseudonym for lady friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4eUp1BtdtA

There's another name in the 6:08 mark.

Watch the whole thing. Funny stories.

Hmm reading some of the comments in here makes me feel kinda alone in that i love watching SC2 as much as ever (and simply can't bring myself to watch MOBA or fighting games as i find them boring).

Colossus are sometimes and boring and corrupters are definitely boring but roaches have produced some of the most exciting SC2 games to date (especially in PvZ).

Watching Evo alongside nearly 100k people online convinced me SC2 will continue to lose popularity and remain a niche esport. Fighting games and dota are quite casual friendly, meaning people play a lot with their friends and watch streams. SC2 has too high of a learning curve due to being an rts, and the online system turns players off. The player base seems to just stagnate

How often do fighting game tournaments attract viewers like that? As far as i'm aware the big SC2 tournaments are still pulling bigger numbers than that (i thought MLG was pulling much more?).

Also your comment would make more sense if there wasn't such a huge amount of people playing SC2 online. I don't think any of the fighting games on the market have as many people playing as SC2 does.

MOBA games on the other hand shame both genres but i don't see why you single out this as being a problem for SC2 and not fighting games.

To make matters worse, I'm starting to realize watching SC2 can be boring. I love the mid and end game, but the beginning of every game is boring unless it's ZvZ or PvP where aggression starts fast. As a test, find a random good BW tournament match and skip to the 5min mark. You'll see a battle most of the time. Whereas with SC2 nothing is happening at the five minute mark, as tech is chosen a couple minutes later. Personally I love playing SC2 early game, and prefer the macro style over BW but in terms of watching, it's boring

By this logic many of the most popular sports in the world should be about to die (baseball, NFL, cricket etc.).

Unless the commentators are really bad than i quite enjoy the first few minutes in a game of SC2.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Hmm reading some of the comments in here makes me feel kinda alone in that i love watching SC2 as much as ever (and simply can't bring myself to watch MOBA or fighting games as i find them boring).

Colossus are sometimes and boring and corrupters are definitely boring but roaches have produced some of the most exciting SC2 games to date (especially in PvZ).

How often do fighting game tournaments attract viewers like that? As far as i'm aware the big SC2 tournaments are still pulling bigger numbers than that (i thought MLG was pulling much more?).

Also your comment would make more sense if there wasn't such a huge amount of people playing SC2 online. I don't think any of the fighting games on the market have as many people playing as SC2 does.

MOBA games on the other hand shame both genres but i don't see why you single out this as being a problem for SC2 and not fighting games.

By this logic many of the most popular sports in the world should be about to die (baseball, NFL, cricket etc.).

Unless the commentators are really bad than i quite enjoy the first few minutes in a game of SC2.

*hug* <3

Vaporak

Any good sites to watch full seasons of past OSL and MSL? Youtube is ok when you go through liquipedia and google search matches but it's not very orderly.

GOMTV actually has their vods up for free for their old BW tourneys with English commentary by Tasteless.

Top Bottom