• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It is my first time *blushes*, should have started when I first got it(day 1 of release) but I've been following the scene and tournaments for a while, seen so many tutorials and guides, funny how none of it really rubbed of :(
But yeah, I'll work up from bronze and hopefully progress fast.

Things that I need to work most on are: do I have enough units? I either have plenty and then not attack or too little and get fucked when defending. And 2nd attack when I know I have enough units earlier on, not wait for 30+ min.
The right answer is probably make units all the time when you have money but I get stuck teching up too much so gotta learn when to stop, what to not get etc and learn about timing attacks.

what race?

Do they have english casters yet?

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Sayle

(._.)

Banned
I've watched Sayle stream proleague before but isn't he just doing it for everybody not officially?

Do they have plans to eventually get english casters and set up some sort of service to get vods out to people who can't stay up to 3:00 am

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I've watched Sayle stream proleague before but isn't he just doing it for everybody not officially?

Do they have plans to eventually get english casters and set up some sort of service to get vods out to people who can't stay up to 3:00 am

yes they do.

Vaporak

Vods are put up on youtube as they air.

Snowman

Anyone else watching the kespa vs gsl showmatch thingy?

Kespa protoss beat a gsl terran in game 1. GSL protoss beat a kespa zerg in game 2.

They've only revealed the teams of the winners so far >.>

Woongjin Stars and Startale

Don't really know many kespa players but I guess the GSL toss must be like ace, squirtle or parting?

Apparently it's probably ace as he's known for his storm drops :p

demented

You just have to pick a build and find your rhythm playing first.
Yeah, I watched apollo's videos on youtube again and I'll go for those simpler builds, he mostly 3gate robo, 4gate noob protoss and FE vs zergs and go from there, practice practice.
You can watch all the stuff you want, none of it will help nearly as much as just playing the game a lot :p
Indeed, same was true for dota, watched a lot of it but very little helped when playing, just lots of practice.
what race?

Protoss

Watching Evo alongside nearly 100k people online convinced me SC2 will continue to lose popularity and remain a niche esport. Fighting games and dota are quite casual friendly, meaning people play a lot with their friends and watch streams. SC2 has too high of a learning curve due to being an rts, and the online system turns players off. The player base seems to just stagnate

To make matters worse, I'm starting to realize watching SC2 can be boring. I love the mid and end game, but the beginning of every game is boring unless it's ZvZ or PvP where aggression starts fast. As a test, find a random good BW tournament match and skip to the 5min mark. You'll see a battle most of the time. Whereas with SC2 nothing is happening at the five minute mark, as tech is chosen a couple minutes later. Personally I love playing SC2 early game, and prefer the macro style over BW but in terms of watching, it's boring

Most of the gsl matches this season have been amazing right, but all of them start with mundane openings. Sure I get a bit excited/worried when I see a protoss take one gas at their natural against a Zerg, but to casual viewers they must be bored out the gate.

clav

Video games will never become that popular for the "esports scene" if you haven't realized that already. Fighting games are also niche. They're just more fun to spectate.

As for Starcraft 2's popularity, Blizzard just needs to release the other two expansions and improve Battle.net.

ultron87

Fighting games will always be the most casual spectator friendly genre. Even if you have never played the game ever you still always have a life bar at the top of the screen that tells you who is winning.

I don't really see that with DOTA/LoL at all though. MOBAs seem fairly incomprehensible if you haven't played the game a bunch to know what each character can do. They get gigantic viewer numbers because a shitload of people play them and the companies that run them do a ton to point their players towards streams.

That said I don't think spectating any game will ever become successful with the mainstream.

K-19

Banned
I hope for SC 3 a big refound of the gameplay. I just can't play anymore at the game, it is so exhausting when you begin and you have maximum 1 or 2 hours for trainning per week.

Snowman

I think you're too quick to eliminate the possibility of it ever becoming mainstream, sure it probably won't happen in the next 5, maybe 10 years.. But I think it's probably gonna happen at some point, just not anytime soon.

I think you're too quick to eliminate the possibility of it ever becoming mainstream, sure it probably won't happen in the next 5, maybe 10 years.. But I think it's probably gonna happen at some point, just not anytime soon.

The problem with eSports is that it's still being run by man-children without a clue. It's going to be awhile and it'll probably look drastically different from today. Likely less fun to watch and with a lot more corporate sponsors in your face.

Gaming is mainstream and i'd argue esports can be to some degree. It's never going to be on television outside of G4, but clearly Evo is a huge event. My argument is more that SC2 cannot appeal to the mainstream gaming market because it's not as casual friendly

Especially considering the refusal to support the NA scene. No one cares about NA outside of Idra, Huk, and Destiny. That's a growth problem that will hurt the game. Huk got a huge contract because he was the biggest foreigner beating Koreans, and was basically carrying the NA torch. But since then EU has clearly surpassed NA in terms of great players; Stephano, Naniwa, Sase, etc. the EU scene continues to grow while NA marginalized itself

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
without sc2, there wouldn't be e-sports

fact

Holden

without sc2, there wouldn't be e-sports

fact

35u5.jpg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Gaming is mainstream and i'd argue esports can be to some degree. It's never going to be on television outside of G4, but clearly Evo is a huge event. My argument is more that SC2 cannot appeal to the mainstream gaming market because it's not as casual friendly

and yet the sc2 scene is bigger than the fighter scene.
significantly so.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
that's up to you! ♥

So recently I've been working on my PvT(Yes PvTERRAN) Forge FE opener. I gone through countless games with my practice partners and Ive defiantly gotten to the point where I can even hold scv allins.

I'm really proud of this game.
http://drop.sc/217579

A few cool things to note
-the gas steal which lets me easily scout for an scv pull/ and greatly delays alot of one base allins
- the focus fire on the marines with the cannons
- the nicely timed +1 armor timing after his failed allin

It also helps feed my ego that this was played on KR and my opponent is Masters :)

P.S. I hope this doesn't sound like a douchcy post I just wanted somewhere to talk about this build/win

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I doubt this

then i'd guess you dont play fighting games or never followed the scene.

looking at TL, there are 15,000 people watching starcraft 2 right this second. I could not name a fighting event short of a majour capable of even matching that at prime times.

Holden

So recently I've been working on my PvT(Yes PvTERRAN) Forge FE opener. I gone through countless games with my practice partners and Ive defiantly gotten to the point where I can even hold scv allins.

I'm really proud of this game.
http://drop.sc/217579

A few cool things to note
-the gas steal which lets me easily scout for an scv pull/ and greatly delays alot of one base allins
- the focus fire on the marines with the cannons
- the nicely timed +1 armor timing after his failed allin

It also helps feed my ego that this was played on KR and my opponent is Masters :)

P.S. I hope this doesn't sound like a douchcy post I just wanted somewhere to talk about this build/win

i like

Holden

And jesus, why is every so bitter against Destiny.

For calling some random dude who was probably white, a gook? Makes me fucking sick.

Pretty digusting from idra thow.

Holden

what happened now...

same GESL stuff, but apprently, kingston asked to remove destiny or else kingston + gigabyte was out of the event. And they had to take Azael for X amount of money which was a lot of money.

Even though destiny would of brought so many more viewers. Kingston pretty much sabotaged their own event, which is really fucking weird.

just check the link deadman posted. But i guess it was a bit exagerated

Snowman

Idra misses out on a tournament so decides to stream instead, how is that disgusting? Are popular streamers not allowed to stream whenever a tournament is on now?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Idra misses out on a tournament so decides to stream instead, how is that disgusting? Are popular streamers not allowed to stream whenever a tournament is on now?

Its kinda weird because he did it because he didnt get in, even though he was invited. and this tournament's main sponsor is their team sponsor along has EG caster+player(s?).

twofold

I think it was because he was streaming while Demuslim was playing and he was bragging on TL about how he has so many more viewers than the GESL even though all he's doing is streaming. To be fair, he was being a bit of a dick.

Snowman

Its kinda weird because he did it because he didnt get in, even though he was invited. and this tournament's main sponsor is their team sponsor along has EG caster+player(s?).

I doubt he really did it for that reason though, he probably thought he just missed out on two tournaments that weekend and decided to stream for a bit for some cash, I know he joked about it on itg but I think it was just a joke.

I'll give you that he was being a bit of a dick, I just thought it was kinda funny that in the same post holden both criticised the hate on destiny for saying racist shit and then hated on idra because of that.

Holden

I doubt he really did it for that reason though, he probably thought he just missed out on two tournaments that weekend and decided to stream for a bit for some cash, I know he joked about it on itg but I think it was just a joke.

gwin said he has proof and gonna send it to the sponsers =/

ultron87

Destiny can't have it both ways. If he wants to be included in tournaments with big name sponsors he probably should stop saying so much dumb shit on his stream.

Destiny can't have it both ways. If he wants to be included in tournaments with big name sponsors he probably should stop saying so much dumb shit on his stream.

I agree with this. Destiny seems to think that he can do whatever he wants because he gets a lot of people tuning into his stream, but when it comes down to it, sponsors aren't going to want to associate with a guy yelling racial and homophobic slurs. It he wants to receive sponsorship money, or be part of a SCII team, then he needs to understand that he is going to need to follow rules. He has every right to ignore those rules, but then sponsors and teams have every right to avoid him.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i have found a comedy goldmine.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AllThingsTerran/

dem tears so delicous.

I agree with this. Destiny seems to think that he can do whatever he wants because he gets a lot of people tuning into his stream, but when it comes down to it, sponsors aren't going to want to associate with a guy yelling racial and homophobic slurs. It he wants to receive sponsorship money, or be part of a SCII team, then he needs to understand that he is going to need to follow rules. He has every right to ignore those rules, but then sponsors and teams have every right to avoid him.

when has destiny ever expressed interest in sponsorship money or joining teams?

he didn't even go to tournaments when quantic was paying his travel fees.

Watching Evo alongside nearly 100k people online convinced me SC2 will continue to lose popularity and remain a niche esport. Fighting games and dota are quite casual friendly, meaning people play a lot with their friends and watch streams. SC2 has too high of a learning curve due to being an rts, and the online system turns players off. The player base seems to just stagnate

To make matters worse, I'm starting to realize watching SC2 can be boring. I love the mid and end game, but the beginning of every game is boring unless it's ZvZ or PvP where aggression starts fast. As a test, find a random good BW tournament match and skip to the 5min mark. You'll see a battle most of the time. Whereas with SC2 nothing is happening at the five minute mark, as tech is chosen a couple minutes later. Personally I love playing SC2 early game, and prefer the macro style over BW but in terms of watching, it's boring

Most of the gsl matches this season have been amazing right, but all of them start with mundane openings. Sure I get a bit excited/worried when I see a protoss take one gas at their natural against a Zerg, but to casual viewers they must be bored out the gate.

I've been saying the same thing since early 2010. SC2 is incredibly boring to watch early-game, and most games are still one-sided stomps, which blows my mind, frankly. Hopefully HotS/LotV can rectify some of this and make strategy (beyond mindgaming build orders) meaningful. It really only got hyper popular because it came out at the perfect time with streaming becoming big alongside the growth of the scene.

Let's be real -- Blizzard honestly had no idea what they were doing when they developed this game from a community standpoint, nor from a competitive gaming standpoint. The lack of features is astounding, still, from a game that wants to be billed as the premiere esport game.

Also, Destiny is a racist loser. No tournament should associate themselves with him.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I've been saying the same thing since early 2010. SC2 is incredibly boring to watch early-game, and most games are still one-sided stomps, which blows my mind, frankly. Hopefully HotS/LotV can rectify some of this and make strategy (beyond mindgaming build orders) meaningful. It really only got hyper popular because it came out at the perfect time with streaming becoming big alongside the growth of the scene.

dude, flash vs bisu.

14CC into 1 rax marine pressure and it does damage!

Top Bottom