• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

profit

So, updated the twitch app on my phone. New feature where you can select the stream quality, and now I can watch the best qualities on streams where you usually have to pay for that, like this instance, the Kespa thing....
Thanks twitch!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
inserthauntedday9.gif

zlatko

Banned
DayJ on that 500? Will watch tonight as I play some Tekken Tag 2.

For all the hates he gets he is a good dude and someone who helped me get into SC2 even more when starting out.

Plus he has some solid taste in music. :D

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Patch

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty – Patch 1.5.3

General
Battle.net
  • The Current Season snapshot has been added back to the Profile summary.
StarCraft
  • Burning Tide has been republished and is once again available for play in the custom games section of the StarCraft section.

Bug Fixes
General
  • Asset loading performance has been improved.
  • Fixed a number of crashes, desyncing issues, and file corruption that could occur when attempting to play games on Arcade.
  • The AlternateLowTextures variable has been re-enabled in variables.txt.
  • Manually-bound hotkeys now properly override grid hotkeys.
  • Bonus Combat Attributes that use negative values now work properly.
  • Increased and decreased weapon speeds effects are now displaying their proper red or green text color.
  • Using triggers to change ownership of Protoss buildings no longer results in some buildings remaining unpowered.
  • Rich Vespene Geysers now properly return 6 gas per trip instead of 8.
  • The Graphics Options Changed indicator now properly displays next to the Options menu item.
  • Fixed a UI error that would occur when viewing the Load Menu.
  • The frame rate value displayed in the CTRL + ALT + F overlay and the Menu display are now consistent.
  • Fixed an issue where shadows on the Hyperion appeared in lower resolutions in the background of the Battle.net UI
  • Fixed an issue where item stack amounts would not increase or decrease properly.
  • Fixed an issue where damage shield buffs were not displaying a status bar if their buff duration was zero.
Battle.net
  • BattleTags now populate in the real name section for BattleTag friends.
  • Chat that is entered into the Party chat window now displays as a whisper to members of the party that are in-game.
  • The count of bookmarks that have been used or remain available for use now properly appears in the Arcade Bookmarks page.
  • Republishing a StarCraft map as an Arcade map without changing the map name no longer causes the map to display in the wrong area.
  • Date formats now display in the proper format according to region.
  • The league icon displayed in the Quick Match page is now centered.
  • Fixed an issue where the Show More button would stop functioning when navigating between the Create Game and Join Game tabs.
  • Fixed an issue where logging in with a Starter Edition account would sometimes cause the client to become unresponsive.

Races
Zerg
  • Units that are morphing no longer have a chance to become stuck and frozen in their cocoon state if they are beneath a Hatchery.

Mac
  • Textures on the Mar Sara tileset no longer paint improperly in the Editor.
  • CPU usage is now optimized while streaming data.
  • Fixed an issue in certain localized clients where special characters would display improperly in custom hotkey profiles.

Corran Horn

Also IEM China gets canceled as the China/Japan drama is going on.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft...led?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Skxru.png

Yoshichan

The AlternateLowTextures variable has been re-enabled in variables.txt.
Blizzard, you are my favorite company of all time. No matter how much I hate you sometimes.

Been playing for a few days. My impressions so far

-first off I'm glad the War Hound was removed. I didn't get to play against it, but it struck me as such a horrible unit and an example of the C&Cization of SC2. Massive damage, can't really micro because you don't need to, auto targets units that it does the most damage to, etc. Bleh. Just revive the Goliath and call it a day

Zerg yo:

Swarm Host
-I really like the Swarm Host. So far I've mainly tested it in ZvZ and ZvT. I like the siege ability it provides in the mid game, it can also be used for base defense; I think it will be a good idea to put one behind minerals to help deal with the Oracle unit that blocks minerals

-The ZvT possibilities are interesting here. You can get them out instead of Infestors and use it to basically defend against pushes, expand more, etc; just pair it with a queen and some detection in order to deal with Banshees. I used it to flank a terran army as I rolled in with lings/banelings and it worked great. Would I pick a revival of the Lurker over it? Sure, but it's a pretty good alternative imo

-I'm not sure how it'll work in ZvP though. From what I've seen in streams, it's easy just to block them with force fields. I'd imagine some proper flanking could work though

Viper

-This is the unit that made me squeal like a girl when I first saw it months ago. It's probably overpowered lol, but I like the concept

-I didn't really control them well in the games I played. They're faster than I expected and die very fast which makes sense.

-I haven't gotten a chance to use it in ZvP yet; I abducted a couple tanks in ZvT though, which was cool. I want to know whether abducting a Colosus through force fields can get rid of them...if that's the case...
9sno43a

Corran Horn

Been playing for a few days. My impressions so far

-first off I'm glad the War Hound was removed. I didn't get to play against it, but it struck me as such a horrible unit and an example of the C&Cization of SC2. Massive damage, can't really micro because you don't need to, auto targets units that it does the most damage to, etc. Bleh. Just revive the Goliath and call it a day

Zerg yo:

Swarm Host
-I really like the Swarm Host. So far I've mainly tested it in ZvZ and ZvT. I like the siege ability it provides in the mid game, it can also be used for base defense; I think it will be a good idea to put one behind minerals to help deal with the Oracle unit that blocks minerals

-The ZvT possibilities are interesting here. You can get them out instead of Infestors and use it to basically defend against pushes, expand more, etc; just pair it with a queen and some detection in order to deal with Banshees. I used it to flank a terran army as I rolled in with lings/banelings and it worked great. Would I pick a revival of the Lurker over it? Sure, but it's a pretty good alternative imo

-I'm not sure how it'll work in ZvP though. From what I've seen in streams, it's easy just to block them with force fields. I'd imagine some proper flanking could work though

Viper

-This is the unit that made me squeal like a girl when I first saw it months ago. It's probably overpowered lol, but I like the concept

-I didn't really control them well in the games I played. They're faster than I expected and die very fast which makes sense.

-I haven't gotten a chance to use it in ZvP yet; I abducted a couple tanks in ZvT though, which was cool. I want to know whether abducting a Colosus through force fields can get rid of them...if that's the case...
9sno43a

you know we have HotS beta thread in gaming -.-'

Yoshichan

Just revive the Goliath and call it a day
So uh, you see... we're dealing with Blizzard here.

Zzoram

FXO Boss and the Quantic guy saying major sponsors are telling them console games are more attractive than SC2, which is not lucrative overall in the US. Not surprising

This bubble is going to bust in the next couple years

Console games replacing SC2 for esports? That'd be a damn shame. SC2 is way more fun to watch than any shooters.

Corran Horn

Console games replacing SC2 for esports? That'd be a damn shame. SC2 is way more fun to watch than any shooters.

Halo and CoD couldnt even survive on MLG with the huge player base they both have. New CoD and Halo coming out here soon are gonna be more esports focus but we will see.

Zzoram

Halo and CoD couldnt even survive on MLG with the huge player base they both have. New CoD and Halo coming out here soon are gonna be more esports focus but we will see.

FPS will never work as well as SC2 as an esport. First person view is shit, way zoomed out observer view is shit.

Mairu

FXO Boss and the Quantic guy saying major sponsors are telling them console games are more attractive than SC2, which is not lucrative overall in the US. Not surprising

So NA esports is going to continue to get worse while EU & KR stays fine. Well, I guess I can live with that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

They tried a pro COD at MLG Orlando, there were maybe 15 people actually watching it. I'm not sure if the audience is even there. Sure lots of people play console fps, but do they really WANT to watch someone else play? Who knows.

So NA esports is going to continue to get worse while EU & KR stays fine. Well, I guess I can live with that.

So long as KR scene stays alive I'm happy.

Corran Horn

FPS will never work as well as SC2 as an esport. First person view is shit, way zoomed out observer view is shit.

Some can work well. I mean the game that kinda got me into really liking esports yearssss ago was Battlefield 2142...as odd that is lol.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

How foolish, you can want a console based esport all you want but that won't magically create a game capable of driving it. The best consoles will ever have is the fighting game scene and good luck getting in on that. I guess starcraft is gonna have to make due with parts and accessory manufacturers for awhile yet. :(

Pretty much. The WCS EU stream numbers showed how big the game is there, compared to the US and Korea. I'm still baffled why MLG doesn't do more to attract EU audiences by inviting more EU players besides Stephano. Showing the same Koreans every couple months isn't growing viewership

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Some of the plus sides to people thinking consoles would be a way to go would be more developer focus on eSports and getting sponsorships and advertising from more than just PC parts and branding.

Defining what the 'eSports' market is for advertisers will help a ton. Hotpockets, Doritos, soda, and energy drinks only go so far.

Visine was a big name that popped up at MLG last year right?
Ford is starting to show at PAX.

Zzoram

Some of the plus sides to people thinking consoles would be a way to go would be more developer focus on eSports and getting sponsorships and advertising from more than just PC parts and branding.

Defining what the 'eSports' market is for advertisers will help a ton. Hotpockets, Doritos, soda, and energy drinks only go so far.

Nope. Developers would be more likely to support their game as an esport on PC where they have more control over their IP, as Valve/Riot/Blizzard are doing. On consoles, the platform holder has as much a stake as the developer due to licensing, and console FPS esports in the past were pushed as Halo by MSFT and CoD by Sony, and not pushed very hard.

I don't understand why they would be the only things they advertise for during games exclusive to PC. I could sort of understand with consoles as i think they probably skew to a younger audience. I'm not sure whos fault it is that it's still the case.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Nope. Developers would be more likely to support their game as an esport on PC where they have more control over their IP, as Valve/Riot/Blizzard are doing. On consoles, the platform holder has as much a stake as the developer due to licensing, and console FPS esports in the past were pushed as Halo by MSFT and CoD by Sony, and not pushed very hard.

Sony has been a huge sponsor of fighting games, they've provided systems for every evo in recent memory.

Zzoram

Sony has been a huge sponsor of fighting games, they've provided systems for every evo in recent memory.

Providing consoles is nice but nowhere near the amount of support esports needs. Are they putting up large cash prizes? Are they advertising the events to new audiences?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Providing consoles is nice but nowhere near the amount of support esports needs. Are they putting up large cash prizes? Are they advertising the events to new audiences?

its the tournaments organizers job to drive audiences to the sponsors, not the other way around.

I wish DH would get more korean players besides the usual suspects who are on foreign teams (the liquid guys, EG guys and MC), it's the only thing the NA lans have over them.

Haunted

http://www.ign.com/ipl/all/news/vote...d-championship

Here you can vote for players that will represent the world in korea vs the world at ipl5. The people with the most votes play a mini tournament to get the spots.

To help you along here are the correct answers:

NA:

Scarlett, Vibe

EU:

Grubby, Nerchio, Lucifron
You mean Scarlett and Sen. People voting for Huk/Idra must love easy wins for Korea.

That also made me realise just how big the difference is, SEA/SA/NA was easy to vote for, but I really had to think hard about the EU players, so many viable picks!

1mBR7.gif

Nah, just kidding, I don't watch them either except for Funday Mondays sometimes.

Also IEM China gets canceled as the China/Japan drama is going on.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2...medium=twitter

Skxru.png
IEMs are all held at cons, so if the convention is cancelled, they lose their stage/infrastructure/sponsorship money. Too bad, really.

rofl @ Idra tweet.

Haunted

I wish DH would get more korean players besides the usual suspects who are on foreign teams (the liquid guys, EG guys and MC), it's the only thing the NA lans have over them.
That's just the thing, Dreamhack doesn't need to "get" anyone, imo. The players go to (and qualify for) the tournaments by their own volition - which is as it should be. If the Korean teams don't send their players to international events like Dreamhack, it's their loss.

It's not like they're banned or anything.

Haunted

whitera has almost as much votes as nerchio, come the fuck on.
I wanted to make a joke about him losing against Koreans all the time, but looking at his TLPD he beat Hyun and Losira in online cups recently. Can't really make a joke out of that.

That said, even with him being a fan favourite and last year's team captain and everything, he really shouldn't make the top 3 on that list.

That's just the thing, Dreamhack doesn't need to "get" anyone, imo. The players go to (and qualify for) the tournaments by their own volition - which is as it should be. If the Korean teams don't send their players to international events like Dreamhack, it's their loss.

It's not like they're banned or anything.

Well yeah, I didn't say DH should waste money flying koreans (or anyone for that matter) and putting them in hotels and losing tons of money like all those NA TOs who have been pretty much in the red for years, just a shame that korean teams are poor as dirt or else we could see good EU vs KR matches instead of said koreans rolling over NA "pros" by just staring at them and going into a ro8/16 that looks like a GSL bracket.

Top Bottom