• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Mairu

i'm not the genius asking for a transcript of a 2 hour youtube show.

I'm not demanding a transcript, I just asked if there was a transcript anywhere. It's a long interview and it's not uncommon for parts of video interviews to have written excerpts, especially when there's controversial content, but I'm sure there's no reason to respond to you with reason and logic when you're just trolling

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm not demanding a transcript, I just asked if there was a transcript anywhere. It's a long interview and it's not uncommon for parts of video interviews to have written excerpts, especially when there's controversial content, but I'm sure there's no reason to respond to you with reason and logic when you're just trolling

It took you one post to go from 'asking' to 'demanding' and you say I'm the troll not worth a reasoned or logical response.

---

Genna is tearing pieces out of teams for their treatment of players.

zlatko

Banned
I played a 4v4 match last night, and even tried that 30 challenges of micro Blizz added. Got to the duel siege tank one (number 8?) but couldn't figure out how to do proper blink micro to survive it so I gave up for now.

Mairu

It took you one post to go from 'asking' to 'demanding' and you say I'm the troll not worth a reasoned or logical response.

---

Genna is tearing pieces out of teams for their treatment of players.

Why the fuck is what I'm saying so unreasonable to you?

Blizzard

Banned
I played a 4v4 match last night, and even tried that 30 challenges of micro Blizz added. Got to the duel siege tank one (number 8?) but couldn't figure out how to do proper blink micro to survive it so I gave up for now.
After installing and doing the tutorial (I didn't realize it was THAT basic) I tried the novice league, but after a couple of minutes got no match. Then I too tried that 30 challenge map thing. I had to look at the tips on most of the levels, though. It's nice of Blizzard to include the tips/solutions.

The blink train one was difficult for me, since it seems like after (control thing)
shift-B, you have to shift-right-click twice or the first one won't register for some reason
. I got to like...21 or so? Before I got stuck and went to bed.

Regarding the siege tank one you mentioned, if you want a tip:
The tanks can't hit you if you are close enough, and blink has a long cooldown so you don't need to worry about micro. Just run forwards and blink as close to one of the tanks as possible. You will only take shots from the other tank, which should allow you to kill the non-shooting tank quickly, and then you can walk over to the shooting tank and get inside its non-shooty zone as well.

nobody in Slayers is salaried
MVP and Nestea are not salaried
MMA is looking for a team and wants $4000 monthly salary. It's however unlikely anyone would pay him that
as an upcoming unhyped player you might be offered $300-500 salary + travel. Also, team will take 25% of your winnings and it will dictate which events you will participate in
Big names like Naniwa can afford to ask for $1000-3000 monthly

esports. yay.

Didn't those 2 get mentioned specifically for getting a salary when the LG announcement happened ?

MVP doesn't need it anyway, dude keeps winning and getting the salary himself.

Sliver

Never heard of this Sea guy. Has he even played in an SC2 tournament yet?

No, he was a huge player in Proleague for the defunct MBC Heroes, but never did quite as well in solo leagues. After MBC disbanded he was on Team 8 with Jaehoon, Jaedong, etc. He's been active for like 7-8 years and is known for being one of the Kespa players that actually interacts with foreign fans. For instance, he talked to his fans in English on TL and even did a TL Attack back in the day. He was also in the Korean TV show "HyungJoon Becomes a Pro-Gamer."

God I'm a nerd.

No, he was a huge player in Proleague for the defunct MBC Heroes, but never did quite as well in solo leagues. After MBC disbanded he was on Team 8 with Jaehoon, Jaedong, etc. He's been active for like 7-8 years and is known for being one of the Kespa players that actually interacts with foreign fans. For instance, he talked to his fans in English on TL and even did a TL Attack back in the day. He was also in the Korean TV show "HyungJoon Becomes a Pro-Gamer."

God I'm a nerd.

so in short, another tax write off for TL that won't win anything

zargle

After installing and doing the tutorial (I didn't realize it was THAT basic) I tried the novice league, but after a couple of minutes got no match. Then I too tried that 30 challenge map thing. I had to look at the tips on most of the levels, though. It's nice of Blizzard to include the tips/solutions.

This is just general advice for anyone new trying the game, but skip the practice league. It is played at a slower pace and the maps are different. If you want to get familiar with things, play some games against the AI at faster game speed.

zlatko

Banned

The blink train one was difficult for me, since it seems like after (control thing)
shift-B, you have to shift-right-click twice or the first one won't register for some reason
. I got to like...21 or so? Before I got stuck and went to bed.

Regarding the siege tank one you mentioned, if you want a tip:
The tanks can't hit you if you are close enough, and blink has a long cooldown so you don't need to worry about micro. Just run forwards and blink as close to one of the tanks as possible. You will only take shots from the other tank, which should allow you to kill the non-shooting tank quickly, and then you can walk over to the shooting tank and get inside its non-shooty zone as well.

Doesn't it make more sense to get on top of 1 tank, then shoot the tank that IS shooting at you. This way you can kill it before it kills either of your stalkers?

Either way thanks. I'll probably do this later tonight just for shits and giggles.

Blizzard

Banned
This is just general advice for anyone new trying the game, but skip the practice league. It is played at a slower pace and the maps are different. If you want to get familiar with things, play some games against the AI at faster game speed.
Thanks, I guess that makes sense about the pace and maps.

Doesn't it make more sense to get on top of 1 tank, then shoot the tank that IS shooting at you. This way you can kill it before it kills either of your stalkers?

Either way thanks. I'll probably do this later tonight just for shits and giggles.
For some reason I thought stalkers were melee. If they're ranged then yeah that would work.

Haunted

250k viewers on the lol stream right now.

psyduck.gif

Who the fuck is watching that? Crazy.

Holden

is there multiple streams? or is this only one?

Does korea have their own stream?

PANCAKES WHERE U AT WHEN I NEED YOU

hmm seems to have a own3d aswell. WHY DOESNT BLIZZARD GIVE A FUCK

Mairu

Got a chance to listen to some of the vod since I'm home sick from work...

Sucks for Koreans and it's really easy to see why they leave teams and want to join foreign teams. On the topic of Mvp/Nestea, they probably didn't have salaries before but in the LG-IM announcement they specifically mentioned that top players, and Mvp/Nestea would be receiving salaries. It was Mark (Quantic CEO?Founder?) who made the Mvp/Nestea comment and considering they were partnered with IM briefly in 2011 it makes sense why he would say that.

I wonder who the other three players living with Crank in Seoul are. MMA & some other Slayers/exSlayers players maybe? Very sad :/

Deadman

Liquid`Nazgul Administrator October 05 2012 08:48. Profile #
Good news Tyler fans we talked to them again, they haven't officially replaced Tyler yet, and they are extending the period so that he can play MajOr on the 8th!

So being a whiner gets results. yay.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
so im watching destiny's dark souls VODS and on september 28, Sage said Sea and jaedong were going to foreign teams. -___-

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
so im watching destiny's dark souls VODS and on september 28, Sage said Sea and jaedong were going to foreign teams. -___-

You know what they say about broken clocks.

Hellix

Marines
Stalkers and Colossus
Infestors and Broodlords

Stalker, colossi, infestors and broods are too high of a tier. More like:

Marines
Zealots
Zerglings

Eventually you'll get to fight baneling busts. And that's it!

Welcome to Starcraft 2 :) I'm Yoshi and I'll be your guide through this hellhole!

Being overwhelmed.

If you have no RTS experience, then prepare to be extremely overwhelmed and feel like you are learning an entirely new language and skill from scratch.

I see you have a TTT2 avatar, so if you ever had to learn the fighting genre from scratch in the last few years, then take that and multiply by 1000.

Above all though the game is extremely rewarding and fun. You just honestly have to give up a lot of time in order to start to see results in the game.

Well, I do have some RTS experience, since I am mainly a PC gamer. I've played Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, and Age of Empires. But, I never played a RTS game competitively, but I'd like to change that with SC2. I think it is a more popular game overall, so I guess it isn't a bad idea to start learning this game. At any rate, it would be a good way to lessen the wait for CoH2.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it much yet. I was trying to learn the Protoss units and how they work in an AI game but nothing much other than that. What's the best way to "train"? AI battles? Should I go through the story mode?

Vaporak

Hellix said:
I haven't gotten a chance to play it much yet. I was trying to learn the Protoss units and how they work in an AI game but nothing much other than that. What's the best way to "train"? AI battles? Should I go through the story mode?

Story mode is played almost entirely as Terran so it won't get you used to playing Protoss. As for training, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "train". If you're new to the game just try a few games vs AI to understand the basic mechanics of playing such as knowing what your units do, what builds what etc. After that just play.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the only meaningful training is 1v1 and build order practice, playing the story or against the ai as if they were a legitimate opponent will just give you bad habits. Unless you don't know your units, like vaporak said.

watch these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvhkiGDojno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8F3HWLkN9U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fgb3M5S6k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ei0BZQW37E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcaVdFNFi8k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kjNSmwx2Hw

Deadman

Some context to these sorts of posts would be nice.

Edit: nvm found one http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/c...er_is_still_to_play_in_the_tournament/c6ht04p

All the context was still on the page :S

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/10wux1/nony_being_nony/

He mad. Dont get why, its not like he had a chance of qualifying.

should be angry at his managers for not telling him. or thankful.

Its funny though, the days he is unavailable because he is "too busy" are the same days as the LoL championship finals and he has been posting in the LoL forums all day talking about the tournament. But at least major can now have a free win, so thats nice for him.

zlatko

Banned
Story mode is played almost entirely as Terran so it won't get you used to playing Protoss. As for training, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "train". If you're new to the game just try a few games vs AI to understand the basic mechanics of playing such as knowing what your units do, what builds what etc. After that just play.

Well there's various things one can do to jump into the game to start learning it.

If I could go back and talk to my nooblet self to speed up the process I'd do this:

Play the challenges mode. I learned much better macro and base building for the one that wants you to get to 2 base as a Terran fast, while holding off lings and Ultras. There's a few others in there that give you some good micro help too like attacking in 5 different spots around the map as a Protoss with various units.

Next, find 1 build online, and practice it against the A.I until you feel you could do it online vs an opponent.

Learn the common cheese strategies of each race, so that you can properly detect it. This happens too often in bronze and silver on NA ladder where you just go against nothing but cannon rushes and 6 pools, so you want to be prepared to check for that constantly.

Practice macro more than micro, always. Don't get supply blocked, ever.

My final tip, and the most important one ignoring any and all of this: DO NOT STOP PLAYING! Make time for AT LEAST 1 game a day against a real life opponent.

---------

There's plenty of other things that are worth noting like ask GAF anything you need, practice against GAFfers if you want a less stressful way to practice against a real opponent, and watch recorded videos/replays of people doing the same build as you on various maps so you can see how they execute it.

Top Bottom