• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Holden

They just need to make the game harder aka more entertaining, and stop going fucking activision on the pricing of the game, game has been out for more then 2 years and it should be 10-15$ instead of fucking 60$.

No shit that Ilja Rotelli left blizzard for riot

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LoL crashing Twitch

Fuck off, casual piece of shit game

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
LoL crashing Twitch

Fuck off, casual piece of shit game

jVPGJ.png

Sliver

Past couple of pages are dedicated mainly to LoL talk, why the game is in the state it's in, etc, says it all really. Time for everyone to join Dota 2 and topple it I'd say.

Vaporak

SC2 will never get the viewership numbers of LoL/Dota2 because SC2 isn't popular in China. LoL/Dota2 is definitely more popular in the rest of the world, but not nearly by the margin stream numbers indicate I'd imagine.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Past couple of pages are dedicated mainly to LoL talk, why the game is in the state it's in, etc, says it all really. Time for everyone to join Dota 2 and topple it I'd say.

SC2 being a mostly 1v1 is a big issue too. I really only play league because my friends do.

Oh and, I can't go play another MOBA. I've spent too much money on skins :(.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
sc2 is like seeing a band in some sweaty dive where you spend half the show avoiding head stomps and stage dives.

dota 2 is like seeing the same band after getting their major label break in some air conditioned auditorium.

lol is seeing them on tv doing a collaboration with some x factor starlet while you cry into your hands.

Deadman

All the foreigners but 1 (naniwa) have losing record yet a bunch of them are advancing. There are 12 koreans that have a winning record who aren't advancing.

This might be the shittiest tournament format mlg has ever invented and jesus christ thats saying a lot.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
All the foreigners but 1 (naniwa) have losing record yet a bunch of them are advancing. There are 12 koreans that have a winning record but wont advance.

This might be the shittiest tournament format mlg has ever invented and jesus christ thats saying a lot.
remember when sundance zealously stuck with the spectator poison that was the extended serious because of his cast iron conviction that mlg was about "finding the best players".

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
SC2 will never get the viewership numbers of LoL/Dota2 because SC2 isn't popular in China. LoL/Dota2 is definitely more popular in the rest of the world, but not nearly by the margin stream numbers indicate I'd imagine.

Not sure how popular LoL is in China, but it's getting higher viewing figures in Western tournaments. Blizzard needed to act a long time ago, the retail + expansion route worked in the past, but it's not going to cut it now.

Got to remember that Blizzard had DotA on their game and did nothing with it, not surprised to see them mishandle SC.

Haunted

All the foreigners but 1 (naniwa) have losing record yet a bunch of them are advancing. There are 12 koreans that have a winning record who aren't advancing.

Have you seen the seeding in the last tournament stage? Kespa players on one side of the bracket, EU/NA/KR on the other. Kespa players will not hit EU/NA/Korean players until the Grand Finals, and each region eliminates their players among themselves.

Brilliant, really.

Not sure how popular LoL is in China, but it's getting higher viewing figures in Western tournaments. Blizzard needed to act a long time ago, the retail + expansion route worked in the past, but it's not going to cut it now.

Got to remember that Blizzard had DotA on their game and did nothing with it, not surprised to see them mishandle SC.

To be fair, dota games are much easier/casual friendly than RTS. Blizzard always had a tough sell, and the fact that SC2 is relevant in the US is a big thing. Still, they clearly need to do something before the game becomes a niche title with no home. It's not picking up in Korea, even after the BW switch apparently. Interest seems to be lowering in NA; it still seems damn big in Europe though.

Maybe HOTS will fix things.

fanboi

Banned
Regarding SC2s future... well lets see what we got:

What have made LoL and DOTA2 big is first and foremost F2P. But this isn't all (but most).
The other aspect is that, atleast DOTA2 and Valve, has focus alot of community with ingame stream, buy tickets to events etc etc... here I see some combo that needs to be done for SC2 to survive and grow since, as someone said, RTS is much more hardcore than MOBA games.

My suggestions? Well its hard to tell... F2P is what I belive one way they need to go, but they need to make money in the end aswell, which leads to how to make a profit:

• Ingame ads? Not sure about this but this could generate alot of cash
  • Focus more on community and eSport and MAKE it a big thing. They have the money, they are doing stuff, but they need to do more.
  • Sell ingame models for units etc that doesn't break the game in anyway.
  • Custom maps that you can create and sell? Then Blizzard takes a % of the total sum.

Also, the F2P model should be modified to fit their market (SP cost money of ccourse while MP is free).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Maybe HOTS will fix things.

Doubt it, they need more people playing and being interested in the game and having people buy an expansion isn't the way to go. The longer the wait to make it F2P the stronger LoL/Dota are going to get.

The viewer numbers for SC2 at the moment aren't bad at all (sure LoL and DOTA 2 are doing great but that doesn't mean SC2 pulling the same viewers or more suddenly bad). My concern is more for the game going forward. I just don't see expansions as a valid way of maintaining an esport, player numbers will drop off and this will affect viewership. That plus HOTS isn't looking all that good.

It sucks that blizzard is handling things so badly. SC2 had a lot of potential and still does but i feel like blizzard is going to miss out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Who didn't see this coming?

Yoshichan

Deadman

For people who like sc2 and lol how does this weekends lol finals issues compare to some of the sc2 tournament fails we have seen?

Also what exactly is happening, all i see is internet rage

Pancakes

For people who like sc2 and lol how does this weekends lol finals issues compare to some of the sc2 tournament fails we have seen?

It was pretty bad for Riot since they had to regame up to 4 times due to drops. WE win, drop, CLG win, drop, drop, drop. So they just had to give up. Apparently there was also some cheating issues due to players looking at the opposing team minimaps. But all in all Riot handled it about as well as they could have. They bought everyone in the audience pizza, and gave out free swag.

You have to remember though, the entire venue lost internet so it's not due a B.net like problem just a hardware issue. Not that that excuses Riot in anyway, it's a shitty situation for everyone involved but I guess it's the whole vehicle of e-sports...

They're rescheduling for a TBA date.

Deadman

Hmm that kinda sucks. How were the players looking at the enemy minimap, didnt they point the booths away from the big screens?

Mairu

It was pretty bad for Riot since they had to regame up to 4 times due to drops. WE win, drop, CLG win, drop, drop, drop. So they just had to give up. Apparently there was also some cheating issues due to players looking at the opposing team minimaps. But all in all Riot handled it about as well as they could have. They bought everyone in the audience pizza, and gave out free swag.

You have to remember though, the entire venue lost internet so it's not due a B.net like problem just a hardware issue. Not that that excuses Riot in anyway, it's a shitty situation for everyone involved but I guess it's the whole vehicle of e-sports...

Really? At least when MLG fucks up Sundance goes out to take responsibility for it, they don't send out whoever they decided to hire to host the event.

I'm sure that the Swarm host and Tempest will save sc2....

I'm in the beta and the answer is no

but perhaps the release will be a shot in the arm for the game. I agree that a f2p model would make far more sense. Just add shit for people to buy like skins, then make the Blizz DOTA only available as a custom game within SC2 (so people have to download SC2)

Add a stream viwer to the home page of SC2 and boom, we're halfway there

So, they never played the finals or what ?

Sounds pretty major.

Won

So, they never played the finals or what ?

Sounds pretty major.

Finals weren't sheduled for this weekend. I think everything but the finals should have been played out, but they had to stop at the last game of the qurterfinals. So still pretty fucked up, especially since this thing is broadcasted on chinese TV or something.

Mairu

Finals weren't sheduled for this weekend. I think everything but the finals should have been played out, but they had to stop at the last game of the qurterfinals. So still pretty fucked up, especially since this thing is broadcasted on chinese TV or something.
I would've been massively disappointed if I was someone who made the trip to watch it live. I don't think free pizza would've made up for poor preparation.

Top Bottom