• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Vaporak

Why the fuck did Blizzard decide to have the world championships in China anyways? SC2 isn't popular in China, and the timezone will make it less popular in US+EU, that right there is a good deal of anti-hype for the event. :/

Mairu

Why the fuck did Blizzard decide to have the world championships in China anyways? SC2 isn't popular in China, and the timezone will make it less popular in US+EU, that right there is a good deal of anti-hype for the event. :/

I'm also confused that it's a two day tournament and not a three day tournament - They have four matches going at once the whole time up until the semifinals!

Oh well, it's just a weekend of a million PvZs... GO LUCIFRON!

Striek

Because its perfect timing for Aussies. Blizzard loves Australia.

giri

Blizzard have been trying to expand into china for about 7 years. They really struggle to get any market penetration over there at all.

Because its perfect timing for Aussies. Blizzard loves Australia.

There's also this :p

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sigh.

Going to sydney this weekend so going to miss bcs :( I've been looking forward to it for ages too!

Might try and check the results on sat and first half of sunday and then leave the last 4 or 5 games to catch up on.

Would love to see Sen do great.

Grubby too.

Ecto311

Screenshot2012-11-16%252007_55_37.jpg

Feels good for
high silver zerg finally getting out of placement bronze

So for the HOTS beta I have to make a new account?

I didnt have to, just go to battle net and download the beta client then run it.

Anyone else notice in the HOTS beta the post game screen showing performance the APM is much higher than it should be?

Anustart

Screenshot2012-11-16%252007_55_37.jpg

Feels good for
high silver zerg finally getting out of placement bronze

I didnt have to, just go to battle net and download the beta client then run it.

Anyone else notice in the HOTS beta the post game screen showing performance the APM is much higher than it should be?

I think he doesn't mean a new b.net account, but rather a new battle tag. I had to do the same. I was hoping all my sc2 friends and everything would still be there, but nope, had to make a new battle tag.

zlatko

Banned
Got my HOTS beta code from amazon via email today, they sending em now!

Thanks for this. I went on there just now, pre ordered the CE(even though I swore I wouldn't use Amazon again for a game I was super hyped about), and got the beta email 2 seconds after confirm order email.

Can we start playing right away? :O

Holden

welp apparently corran has allrdy got a key

MY DUTY HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED.

legacy of the void will beta key will complete it.

calder

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/139rqz/battlenet_world_championship_2012_starcraft_ii/

I have to admit its impressive they managed to pick a time zone that hurts all of europe and all of america in one go.

I actually much prefer this time difference to something in central Europe. It won't be on much later here than a long-running day1 MLG or something, it's not a huge tournament.

Much easier for me to say up a bit past midnight then get up early on a weekend. ;) So who's making the non-Community-ghetto thread?

EDIT: I must have misread the times at TL or something, I had thought one or both days had games starting no later than 2am my time, but it is actually a few hours past that. So not as convenient for this night owl as I thought, but oh well. Still prefer it to sleeping through most of the action like Dreamhacks or IEM.

Deadman

To be fair to their choice of location at least there are lots of people there, and they are hyped up.

I hope morhaime announces open beta during this speech.

Nice big cheer for grubby during the player introductions.

Mairu

SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER SPIDER

NASL Sound Guy finally has a name!

Deadman

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=382616

Q : You forgot the infestor

A: Oh, I forgot it. But no matter, I will tell you.
We are going to make a balance test map on WOL realms. On this map, Psionic units will be immune to Neural Parasite. On HOTS BETA, we are going to add a projectile back to Fungal Growth, just like we did in patch 1.3 PTR.

Psionic units, include mothership, high templar, ghost, infestor, queen and archon

So instead of pvz lategame being neural vs vortex it will just be vortex. Cool.

Holden

lol i first read it as fungal then re read it as neural.

one word:

lol

edit: What they did in wol should of been done into hots instead and not do the projectile. But nerf vortex heavely

edit2: cool that they want to focus on older units now, heavely needed. Especially raven/mothership/infestors.

Is HoN the least popular dota? I'd ask in the HoN thread but I don't want them to think I'm trolling. Just curious because I never hear anyone talk about it anymore

Is HoN the least popular dota? I'd ask in the HoN thread but I don't want them to think I'm trolling. Just curious because I never hear anyone talk about it anymore

I guess the original Dota or one of those chinese exclusive ones would have less of a fanbase than HoN now right?

Compared to LoL and Dota2 then yes it's the least played.

Vaporak

I guess the original Dota or one of those chinese exclusive ones would have less of a fanbase than HoN now right?

Compared to LoL and Dota2 then yes it's the least played.

Pretty sure Dota1 still out populars HoN by a lot. Of the "major" players in the genre, hon is the least popular, but of course there's the really unpopular ones that it still beats out.

Zzoram

Popularity

LoL > DotA > Dota 2 > HoN > *

Dota 2 is still in closed beta and consistently gets 130K to 170K concurrent players.

DotA is the most popular because Warcraft 3 is still the most popular RTS in China and everyone has a pirated version and plays DotA over 3rd party online networks like Hamachi that abuse LAN code.

Since Dota 2 is going to be free to play and is essentially identical to DotA in gameplay, Valve is betting that the millions of Chinese DotA players will just switch en masse to Dota 2 since their skills and knowledge is perfectly translated. That would result in millions of Chinese gamers installing Steam, fulfilling Valve's purpose of trojan horsing Steam into China with Dota 2.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Popularity

LoL > DotA > Dota 2 > HoN > *

Dota 2 is still in closed beta and consistently gets 130K to 170K concurrent players.

DotA is the most popular because Warcraft 3 is still the most popular RTS in China and everyone has a pirated version and plays DotA over 3rd party online networks like Hamachi that abuse LAN code.

Since Dota 2 is going to be free to play and is essentially identical to DotA in gameplay, Valve is betting that the millions of Chinese DotA players will just switch en masse to Dota 2 since their skills and knowledge is perfectly translated. That would result in millions of Chinese gamers installing Steam, fulfilling Valve's purpose of trojan horsing Steam into China with Dota 2.
dota 2 peaks at 130-170k, its consistent concurrents is around 80-100k. right now it's 93k.

Top Bottom