• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

zlatko

Banned
Blah still haven't got to touch HOTS beta. Damn Halo 4 keeps sucking me in. ; ;

@Yoshi

Can't watch that at work. What does the wise ol bearded one have to say?

Holden

lolhalo

ol bearded man is saying:

-parting allin isn't a huge focus in balance, zergs are just surprised and are finding counters.
-Plan on changing mothership to be more casual instead of "hardcore esports play" so inc mothership nerf ( which is needed :O)
-Idea for carriers buff, interceptors immune to fungal
-Idea of chopping neural from hots

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gif_infestor.gif
Loved this part :lol

zargle

Ugh, just need to do this presentation, then i can finally go home, relax, and finally get a chance to try out the beta. Goodness the last week or so has been unfun.

giri

Why should it be taken out? On what grounds?

That its terrible!

Its only ever used to completely counter the only single counter Protoss have against turtle Zerg to infester broodlord. Where the Zerg should be trying to get around it by not letting their units clump up. not so skilled vs skilled approach.

That its terrible!

Its only ever used to completely counter the only single counter Protoss have against turtle Zerg to infester broodlord. Where the Zerg should be trying to get around it by not letting their units clump up. not so skilled vs skilled approach.

Mothership isn't a counter to broodlord/infestor anyway. The problem though to be is that neural parasite works on the mothership in the first place which is silly. That plus having one super unit like that tends to cause issues for balance which is why they don't suit games like SC2 (even though it has grown on me).

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
That its terrible!

its limited use is due to its nerf and but even still thats not true because its used against thor heavy mech compositions.

also why should the counter end in the protoss court? why not remove the mothership and say protoss should just learn to harass and split their armies better? at the moment its literally impossible to neural a mothership without the protoss making a mistake, but somehow that means zerg should be more skill based on toss more faceroll?

giri

its limited use is due to its nerf and but even still thats not true because its used against thor heavy mech compositions.

also why should the counter end in the protoss court? why not remove the mothership and say protoss should just learn to harass and split their armies better? at the moment its literally impossible to neural a mothership without the protoss making a mistake, but somehow that means zerg should be more skill based on toss more faceroll?

Uhh, thats not ture at all.

I'm not sure how serious to take this post. The mothership is an 8 supply unit that you can only have one of in an end game army versus having 15 - 30 infestors that can all cast it up to twice. This is literally the only real counter the protoss have, that can be completely neutered, not by great positioning or bad positioning by one side, but by a single spell that then gives the protoss's most powerful unit over to zerg control to be completely used against the protoss player?

I'm not sure what the defense for the zerg side of the argument is, neural is obviously seen as a problem even within blizzard. Against any other spell similar to vortex (fungal/storm...), the counter isn't a single spell, it's position your army and control it better, not letting it group up. Not sure why that should be any different late game than early game.

I never understood why it was really in the game, it makes little sense.

Bitching about harassment that should have happened earlier etc etc is just a distraction to the actual conversation.

I think other changes need to be made, obviously, but that single change would even things up a lot more and bring it more down to skill based on controlling your army on both sides.

Hell, in the long run, blizzard don't even want protoss to be using the mothership either, not in competitive play, and they plan to nerf it too. So it's not going to be a long term thing.

profit

New balance map up:

Fungal Growth no longer affects Psionic units.

By making Psionic units immune to Fungal Growth, Infestors will need to be better protected by supporting units and will become somewhat more vulnerable to High Templar and Ghosts.

Raven Seeker Missile no longer requires an upgrade.

We’ve been discussing the design of the Seeker Missile for a while, and want to see it reach its potential. However, we don’t want to go overboard with the Raven. This change, if we settle on it, is something that will promote slightly more Raven usage, but shouldn’t completely rework the Terran late game.

Blizzard said:
We’ve recently published a custom version of Antiga Shipyard, called "Antiga Shipyard (1.5.3 Balance)," in which we’re testing small balance changes to StarCraft II. Our plan is to first consider these, and then potentially test additional changes. Here’s the situation:

We've heard plenty of feedback recently from pro players and the community about powerful Zerg strategies.
Globally, at both the pro and non-pro levels, we’re not seeing significant balance issues.
We don't think there’s a large problem here, but we do agree that it’s worth trying to make things better by allowing some different options for players facing Zerg opponents.
As always, we want to make minor changes that open up tactical play, if possible.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/7922533/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Seeker Missile change is crazy.

I think it's an amazing patch.

Ravens will see some crazy ass builds now that wont be too abusive. The Raven change won't affect the super late game at all.

The fungal change is well thought out too. Now we have units that cant be slowed by fungal, whereas the ultralisk was the only one that was not affected before. Now Zerg's have to actually make some ground based units in the late game if they want to deal with psionic (DT, cloaked ghost, archons) unit harass.

Bravo blizz, bravo.

They might want to test making the Raven psionic too, but that will probably be too much.

Zzoram

I hope MMA comes back now that he's on Acer.

I hope his contract salary isn't too high but he gets bonuses for every season he's in GSL Code A and a bigger bonus for being in Code S to motivate him.

I think it's an amazing patch.

Ravens will see some crazy ass builds now that wont be too abusive. The Raven change won't affect the super late game at all.

The fungal change is well thought out too. Now we have units that cant be slowed by fungal, whereas the ultralisk was the only one that was not affected before. Now Zerg's have to actually make some ground based units in the late game if they want to deal with psionic (DT, cloaked ghost, archons) unit harass.

Bravo blizz, bravo.

They might want to test making the Raven psionic too, but that will probably be too much.

Yeah, I think this looks good.

I hope MMA comes back now that he's on Acer.

I hope his contract salary isn't too high but he gets bonuses for every season he's in GSL Code A and a bigger bonus for being in Code S to motivate him.

Isn't it more likely he just spends a lot more time competing in foreign events?

profit

So we are going to massively change the balance anyway.

None of these changes are live yet; they're just for testing and to see what it does to the game. I like that they are doing it this way.... "We have an idea to make a matchup/unit more fun, lets just put it on a test map and we'll see what happens".

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So we are going to massively change the balance anyway.

naw, its more like 'we dont see any problems, so here's a bone to throw at the complainers, we'll let them fiddle around in some custom and then just say the matchups fine a month later'

Yoshichan

exercising for the first time since I was born

do I lose anything by splitting my hours up during the day? Like 30 minutes morning, 30 minutes mid-day and 30 minutes at evening? Or is the most "effective" way to just go all out during one period of time per day?

edit: also, how do I warm myself before going out to take a jog? Everytime I go out and start jogging, I'm dying after like 5 minutes.

do I lose anything by splitting my hours up during the day? Like 30 minutes morning, 30 minutes mid-day and 30 minutes at evening? Or is the most "effective" way to just go all out during one period of time per day?

edit: also, how do I warm myself before going out to take a jog? Everytime I go out and start jogging, I'm dying after like 5 minutes.

It sounds fine. Your diet will determine your progress

Also you should wear long johns under your clothes while running in the cold. Get some wool socks too

giri

Exercise is usually better for weight loss in the morning, but thats mainly referring to aerobic (cardio) based stuff.

Before i jog i spend 20 minutes stretching, not everyone does that much, but there's tons of simple stretches you can do.

Holden

idra is saying (on stream) that workers in hots have the mineral boost automatically

kinda big :O. Might make games shorter.

Deadman

So one of the reasons mma didnt join eg is incontrol posted on reddit that he wasnt worth the money he wanted, and this offended him.

Also incontrol has deleted his reddit account, pure coincidence im sure.

Yoshichan

It sounds fine. Your diet will determine your progress

Also you should wear long johns under your clothes while running in the cold. Get some wool socks too

Exercise is usually better for weight loss in the morning, but thats mainly referring to aerobic (cardio) based stuff.

Before i jog i spend 20 minutes stretching, not everyone does that much, but there's tons of simple stretches you can do.

Thanks guys!

Anyone watching NASL? That last infomercial they had was hilariously awkward. Who the hell runs this thing? I feel like it has all been one big troll, it couldn't be run any worse.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone watching NASL? That last infomercial they had was hilariously awkward. Who the hell runs this thing? I feel like it has all been one big troll, it couldn't be run any worse.

They have this weird meta-humor thing going on these last 2 seasons. Nothing I really care for. I from time to time watch it in the background muted.

zlatko

Banned
So I'm at my G/F's until Monday, and she is working a few days this week. I've already managed to get 80% of my finals done for various classes, and since she has SC2 on her macbook she said it was cool if I wanted to play the beta on her mac.

I went to install it on here, but have run into a snag. Once it launches the beta to get to the screen to start installing updates it just hangs on the picture of the battle cruister, and play is greyed out. After a long while it says something is wrong with the internet connection and it is missing a file to download or something along those lines.

I tried to follow various troubleshooting ideas from the Blizz forums, but nothing yet. Anyone run into this issue or have an idea on what to do? Should I try redownloading/installing the beta altogether?

EDIT: Also SC2 itself I'm trying to update, and it's being fuck ass weird and just closing itself after 30 seconds of patch installing/updates. Ugh fuck Macs. :/

Top Bottom