• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

profit

Man, I go to look up the standard/basic builds on TL and I get 20-paragraph long posts on an opening that gets you 5 minutes into the game and every typical transition after that. There's no way I can remember all that shit.

Unrelated question: I'm not in the HotS beta yet, would playing my intended HotS race in WoL help me in HotS? Or is the game going to change so much that practicing that race specifically now won't really help much?

Hint: grab a notepad and just put down the big steps in the build. Just use you supply numbers and write down in what kind of play you can transition. And, practice practice practice!

Keep playing WoL, biggest thing about SC are the mechanics, those wont change. Economy, micro/macro are still the most important things in the game, and if youre good at that, you can start focussing on more detailed plays.

Vaporak

Man, I go to look up the standard/basic builds on TL and I get 20-paragraph long posts on an opening that gets you 5 minutes into the game and every typical transition after that. There's no way I can remember all that shit.

Unrelated question: I'm not in the HotS beta yet, would playing my intended HotS race in WoL help me in HotS? Or is the game going to change so much that practicing that race specifically now won't really help much?

You think that's daunting, take a look see at this tomb. And yeah playing your HotS race in WoL will be helpful.

Sliver

I'm planning on it, but I'll probably still be Gold league scum, maybe Plat, for all of my time playing it. Had no intention of playing HotS until I thought about all the fun I had in SC2, so I figured why not. Don't really like Swarm Host or Viper, so I think I'm going to switch from Zerg.

profit

Ugh great, my mouse died... Just before our lan party with some good friends and a few other people this weekend. And I really wanted to play a lot of SC2 there. Anyone know a good mouse thats not too expensive? My previous one is a razer naga which I was really happy with cause I have small hands, so I dont like my mice too bulky.

Meta games hasn't changed for a bit. PvZ is either sentry/immortal all in or stargate->collosai off 3 base to push before brood lords. TvP hasn't changed that much in god knows how long, only thing I've noticed is that terrans are starting to get better at building and using vikings. TvZ tends to be either marine/tank or mech and try and push before broodlords, sometimes gamble with fast 3CC.

I'm not sure what you mean with the HotS question, but most pro's aren't practicing HotS.

Best in code S is probably Life and Parting imo. I hear DRG is doing really well recently so maybe he's back in form.

Kespa situation is wierd. Proleague has been great competition for GOM I think and is probably doing well. But the OSL is MIA for unknown reasons, they produced that first SC2 OSL and then nothing. There seemed to have been some contract fighting over broadcasting for proleague between OGN and Kespa. OGN is only broadcasting like 1/2 of proleague now and we've had 3 different sets of english casters for proleague.

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting a SC2 itch again and that starts here :D

Regarding my HotS question, I was curious as to if all the proleagues were playing HotS now or still playing WoL.

profit

Ugh great, my mouse died... Just before our lan party with some good friends and a few other people this weekend. And I really wanted to play a lot of SC2 there. Anyone know a good mouse thats not too expensive? My previous one is a razer naga which I was really happy with cause I have small hands, so I dont like my mice too bulky.

No one? :(

profit

New Beta update:

Protoss

Oracle
The duration for Envision has been increased from 30 to 60 seconds.

Terran

Widow Mine
The primary target damage for Sentinel Missiles has been increased from 125 to 125 +35 vs. Shields.

Zerg

Hatchery
The Pneumatized Carapace upgrade now only requires a Hatchery.

Infestor
The projectile speed for Fungal Growth has been reduced from 15 to 12.

Spore Crawler
The weapon damage for Acid Spew has been increased from 15 to 15 + 15 vs. Biological.

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/7855695792

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anybody here actively playing hots?
Planning on it brother. Played like 300 hours first month I got an invite but then I had to take care of other shit and I stopped playing - but I'll definitely go for it again once it's live.

edit: Where the heck is Corran?

StayDead

I've been playing tons of HoTS recently and I'm really glad the widow mine si getting a buff against P. It was useless before, but awesome against zerg.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How did they deal with that? How did it become strong versus protoss and not way too good against zerg? Just buff damage against shield or what?

Yoshichan

Asking this again, do we know when this SC2 season ends?

Yoshichan

Wow dat rage. Gotta wonder if hes mad at himself for been bad or voids for been imba in HoTS.

I'm going to guess it's a mixture of both. I usually laugh at his silly whining but i kinda feel sorry for him there as i'm sure it's very frustrating (as this is his profession).

Striek

I'm going to guess it's a mixture of both. I usually laugh at his silly whining but i kinda feel sorry for him there as i'm sure it's very frustrating (as this is his profession).

Yeah. Still attitude/mindset are a big part of what makes the best players the best. Ideally he'd shrug it off and say "well I was supply blocked for ages here, didn't cancel the bunker there, could've built more production there...next time....". Easier said than done I guess.

SamuraiX-

Yeah. Still attitude/mindset are a big part of what makes the best players the best. Ideally he'd shrug it off and say "well I was supply blocked for ages here, didn't cancel the bunker there, could've built more production there...next time....". Easier said than done I guess.

He was going for two hours straight it looks like. It's hard enough thinking and making those decisions in the heat of the moment, being fatigued just makes it that much worse. He probably thought of a hundred different ways he could've won what was maybe a very winnable game right in that instant and just flipped.

rjZBbfi.gif

Man, wonder if he broke anything?

No doubt about it. In general players who rage or worse yet like to blame balance for their failures (hello qxc and idra!) will always struggle to improve. Still kinda feel sorry for him though lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Insta charge VR is pretty stupid.

That said he messed up and I'm sure he knows it. He should have won that game.
CC first, send scout after barracks, second rax started, scouts double gas and lack of gate/nexus/forge, starts 3rd rax and 2 gas, bunker at 5:10, starts ebay, scouts no nexus then scouts proxy VR at 6:00, builds 2nd and 3rd bunker, gets supply blocked for like 20s and doesn't pull scvs to repair
http://i.imgur.com/rjZBbfi.gif

Man, wonder if he broke anything?
DAT NKRO. Registering all those key presses.
Should be ok. It's a QPad MK-85.

profit

Replay time!

http://drop.sc/304030

My macro was sooooo incredibly bad.... and got supply blocked almost the entire time; but I have not played for some time so warming up is my excuse :D.

Come on SC2GAF let's break down my awfull play so we can stay on top again!

edit: damn Yoshi, you beat my bump attempt!

cdyhybrid

4 games into my comeback so far. I have a tendency to want to power units and kick in their front door with an upgrade timing or something when I notice they're teching or droning. Doesn't make for the best macro practice, but I enjoy it more. Then again, these are low level games so you can't really take anything from them.

Yoshichan

That's my job :3

♥

profit

4 games into my comeback so far. I have a tendency to want to power units and kick in their front door with an upgrade timing or something when I notice they're teching or droning. Doesn't make for the best macro practice, but I enjoy it more. Then again, these are low level games so you can't really take anything from them.

Upload and post some of your games man!

profit

I will once it's not blatantly obvious what I need to improve. Just working on keeping my money low at the moment.
Heh have you seen any of my replays? I have tons of blatantly obvious mistakes, but if other people can see em, they may have some different advice of how to handle those mistakes which might make more sense to you or seem more logical. I know other peoples advice has helpes me tons!

Top Bottom