• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT5| Killing #ESPORTS

Daante

http://www.esportsm.se/news/2012/07/27/europes-best-players-to-ericsson-globe.html

"The eSports phenomenon is coming to the Swedish national indoor arena, Ericsson Globe, on September 15-16 with what promises to be an amazing show. Europe’s best StarCraft II players will compete for $60,000 USD in front of thousands of fans at the StarCraft® II World Championship Series Europe Finals. The show is co-presented by Blizzard and DreamHack and will bring world-class eSports entertainment to the audience in the arena and to those watching the free live stream in HD at home. Tickets go on sale Monday July 30."

That arena has a capacity for about 13 000 people ^^

"The Europe Finals will be the second StarCraft II World Championship Series event hosted by DreamHack and will be the biggest eSports stage show ever created in a European sports venue."

How's bowing down to her majesty twice a day treating ya Panda ?

Happy bday, may you face nothing but 2 rax, hellion/raduer and immortal all-ins all day to celebrate
but that would actually mean you have to play the game first

Played for the first time in months today. Went 6-0, that did include 5 placement matches and no one was above platinum so i got a free ride back to diamond. I got to win 2 PvPs with mass stargate units again which was fun (carriers ftw). Now to go back to a few months of inactivity :p. Maybe i'll start doing heaps of carrier builds right before HOTS to send them out with a bang.

http://www.esportsm.se/news/2012/07/27/europes-best-players-to-ericsson-globe.html

"The eSports phenomenon is coming to the Swedish national indoor arena, Ericsson Globe, on September 15-16 with what promises to be an amazing show. Europe’s best StarCraft II players will compete for $60,000 USD in front of thousands of fans at the StarCraft® II World Championship Series Europe Finals. The show is co-presented by Blizzard and DreamHack and will bring world-class eSports entertainment to the audience in the arena and to those watching the free live stream in HD at home. Tickets go on sale Monday July 30."

"The Europe Finals will be the second StarCraft II World Championship Series event hosted by DreamHack and will be the biggest eSports stage show ever created in a European sports venue."

That sounds amazing, can't wait to see it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Pretty cool series between Soulkey and Taeja just now. Both games Soulkey got well on top but lost due to silly errors (plus in game 1 he kinda fell apart in the late game). Still pretty impressive play, considering how long they have been playing BW he wouldn't have looked out of place in code S imo.

Also just for hazaro he actually split his banelings in some of the attacks!
Soulkey clawed into being a top BW player so if he applies himself I have good hopes for him.

I'm so proud someone split their banes before 1a ;_;
well i guess i know who my real friend is.

thanks kaks. :3
happy ponyday ponybro

I can't sit though that shit, is there a short summary?

Perhaps my favorite part was him mentioning that WCS is a way for local players to possibly get into the pro scene, and for members of a country's community to win something. Right now only a handful of foreigners are capable of winning tournaments since Koreans are invited to everything. I love the idea that someone in the US or Sweden can work hard all year with the goal of placing well in their country's WCS

Also it's good that it's another tournament for the Korean scene. It must be frustrating being in code b GSL every month with nothing to do, but with this plus the Kesp leagues more players have a chance to shine.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Bought my IPL ticket for SF in 2 weeks. Probably only there for 1 day and will skip the LoL stuff. IM will play either TL or Slayers so Im good with who is left :D

Mairu

Bought my IPL ticket for SF in 2 weeks. Probably only there for 1 day and will skip the LoL stuff. IM will play either TL or Slayers so Im good with who is left :D

see you there!

Also probably only staying there for the IPL TAC+Showmatch and then not showing up on Sunday

Corran Horn

see you there!

Also probably only staying there for the IPL TAC+Showmatch and then not showing up on Sunday

Nice. I guess it all starts 4pm PDT too. I might go to the Giants game for awhile lol

The TAC3 showmatch and grand finals will begin at 4 p.m. local time (PDT) at Face Off on Saturday, August 11th. We had to change it from the morning to the afternoon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Have fun guys :D
Live events are always a good time.
Perhaps my favorite part was him mentioning that WCS is a way for local players to possibly get into the pro scene, and for members of a country's community to win something. Right now only a handful of foreigners are capable of winning tournaments since Koreans are invited to everything. I love the idea that someone in the US or Sweden can work hard all year with the goal of placing well in their country's WCS

Also it's good that it's another tournament for the Korean scene. It must be frustrating being in code b GSL every month with nothing to do, but with this plus the Kesp leagues more players have a chance to shine.
I'd love to see more of that money spread into smaller tournaments, very much like the FGC. Though it's not nearly as big a deal with a game designed for internet play and a PC.

If the NA scene is to keep growing and not implode they need to wean back on the prize money, divide it up in more places, and keep that churning of content like they've been doing.
Shit's boring, sorry.
Had front seats for MLG's LoL matches and even the good ones were not that interesting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Majine

Banned
Ay-ViO0CYAANxtO.jpg

Esports got a full page on Swedens largest tabloid. Awesome.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Shit's boring, sorry.
Had front seats for MLG's LoL matches and even the good ones were not that interesting.

No need to be sorry, different strokes for different folks. Personally, if I was at an MLG with both LoL and SC2, I would probably mostly watch the SC2 stuff.

Zzoram

This is why open qualifier tournaments are the best. New players who are really good but would get excluded from all the invitationals can make a name for themselves.

Snowman

Seriously though, Naniwa's PvZ is so bad now, no way does he deserve to be called a top 3 foreigner right now, even if he has been doing pretty well in the gsl.

TSL4 is kind of boring. I'm glad we don't have to watch the same old players, but the results seem meaningless due to cross server play.

Viewer numbers seem kind of low too (24-26k). Obviously that's not bad but I figured it would be bigger considering nothing is going on right now

calder

Viewer numbers seem kind of low too (24-26k). Obviously that's not bad but I figured it would be bigger considering nothing is going on right now
Those are very good numbers for a league, obviously this is not a weekend tourney so you can't compare it to a DH or MLG. It's significantly higher than some random week of IPL or NASL

I picked JonnyREcco today, and picked Maj0r yesterday. Maybe TSL will get my liquibets rank back to 'not terrible' ;p

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
About to play in the Free MLG Tournament in like 10 minutes. Wish me luck!

Also, I think what I'm going to focus on are: Applying more pressure early on, poking and seeing what I can get away with. And getting my first 2 gas early so I can get quicker barracks upgrades.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
About to play in the Free MLG Tournament in like 10 minutes. Wish me luck!

Also, I think what I'm going to focus on are: Applying more pressure early on, poking and seeing what I can get away with. And getting my first 2 gas early so I can get quicker barracks upgrades.
stim/shields or 1/1?

Because you need a plan do use your early 2 gas or its really hurts your production.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lost in the first round. Matched a top 8 Masters. Clearly he didn't respect me and wanted to get the games over with because I think he 4 gated me both matches. Whatever his build was it was extremely early pressure and lots of it.

K, just checked the replays. First match was 4 gate pressure off 2 bases. He threw down his Nexus.

2nd match was a 4 gate that hit at 6:30. I was way unprepared for it. I picked entombed valley and did a greedy build hoping he would play a long style match. I was wrong.

I just played my first ever 5 placement matches: first 3 win against silver or other placement players, 4th matched me against gold who just quit straight away and the last was against a plat who just did the roach max and trashed me.

It puts me in platinum LOL. It's gonna be a loong and painful slide down..well maybe not so long.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Lost in the first round. Matched a top 8 Masters. Clearly he didn't respect me and wanted to get the games over with because I think he 4 gated me both matches. Whatever his build was it was extremely early pressure and lots of it.

K, just checked the replays. First match was 4 gate pressure off 2 bases. He threw down his Nexus.

2nd match was a 4 gate that hit at 6:30. I was way unprepared for it. I picked entombed valley and did a greedy build hoping he would play a long style match. I was wrong.
Yeah 4 gate is a good build vs lower ranked players. You can often kill or cripple them, force them to play something they aren't used to, and if they defend it properly then they are probably better off in the longer game as most people don't have the execution or kill timings down after something like that.

It's what Paz did :lol

Those are very good numbers for a league, obviously this is not a weekend tourney so you can't compare it to a DH or MLG. It's significantly higher than some random week of IPL or NASL

I picked JonnyREcco today, and picked Maj0r yesterday. Maybe TSL will get my liquibets rank back to 'not terrible' ;p

Those number are way down from what they were last year, but the scene in early 2011 and the scene in mid 2012 are completely different. TSL lost a lot of its relevancy with how many big LANs with great production these days.

Aaron

Those number are way down from what they were last year, but the scene in early 2011 and the scene in mid 2012 are completely different. TSL lost a lot of its relevancy with how many big LANs with great production these days.
I watched the first match, but it was dull as hell and a five game series so I never went back. I don't think even half the players are worth five games. Should have been three.

Corran Horn

Its too many random people I have barely heard of right now. TSL3 at least had some huge popular koreans and many for the first time in a tournament outside of Korea, as well as fan favorites in foreign scene. Maybe once it starts to dwindle down some Ill care more :/

Corran Horn

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTyQz3yN-QY&feature=g-all-u

God that looks so cool. MLG NA finals will be so small in comparison :/

...and MLG will somehow fuck it up with their other tournament and we will hear bitching after :p

Nitsuj23

Yeah 4 gate is a good build vs lower ranked players. You can often kill or cripple them, force them to play something they aren't used to, and if they defend it properly then they are probably better off in the longer game as most people don't have the execution or kill timings down after something like that.

It's what Paz did :lol

As a semi-new Zerg player, what's the most efficient way at holding off a four gate? I've been doing pretty well on ladder, worked my way out of Bronze when I made the switch to Zerg from Terran. I followed FilterSC's videos and am now in top 8 Gold, looking like I'll get to Platinum within the next week or two.

Early Protoss aggression is a problem for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
can't wait for that!

Yoshichan

Top Bottom