• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Xbox fanboys losing their minds over the 7 is hilarious. So much salt and Copium from them. 7 is still a decent score. Why are they so mad that reviewers don’t share their sentiment that it’s a GOTY?

Are these like Psychos on Twitter? Because I feel everyone's being pretty sound here.

DaGwaphics

Not sure what the refund policy is for Microsoft at this point as what a friend is going through right now makes me question preordering too early.

Long story short his PC died during the initial cave quest and he ordered a new one that wont arrive until this upcoming week

He only upgraded his gamepass edition to the premium to play early so he put in a refund request and has been denied twice now with the message "You've exceeded the allowable refund period for digital game purchases" and was told by one the escalated chat person it was because he has "owned" the game longer than the allotted 14 days

Like he said the damn game came out that night he requested the refund and this escalated person said the system would not let them override it

He was given a link to appeal once again that would push it further up the chain and I asked him today if he heard anything new and his reply was simply "FUCK MICROSOFT"

So not sure if he has heard something or not, I didn't ask :)

Yeah, I have no idea how the refunds work. I've never tried to return a digital game from any of the stores and I rarely buy games without having some idea of the state of the game I'm getting. I've bought games that I didn't like enough to finish, but I'm sure I put in at least 6 or 7hrs before giving up. 🤷‍♂️

S0ULZB0URNE

That is what they are offering though. It's just that it sounds like your idea of space exploration isn't scientifically grounded and is based more on Star Wars / Star-Trek (which is fine), where this game is a likely based more in realism (with the exception of the space folding which is a real theory, but obviously not practical in a literal sense). Though they are bending the rules to create more a little more fun, in reality dog-fighting in low orbit really wouldn't be possible as you would end up loosing your orbital speed and falling to the surface by accident, LOL. In the real-world you would be trying to careful adjust your orbit to match this other ship to create an interception point or fully synchronizing the orbit to dock.

I should have made clear that when I referencing free-flight space, I was speaking of the real world. The game does have some free-flight, dog fighting, etc.
marc-anthony-pussyfoot.gif

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Not sure what the refund policy is for Microsoft at this point as what a friend is going through right now makes me question preordering too early.

Long story short his PC died during the initial cave quest and he ordered a new one that wont arrive until this upcoming week

He only upgraded his gamepass edition to the premium to play early so he put in a refund request and has been denied twice now with the message "You've exceeded the allowable refund period for digital game purchases" and was told by one the escalated chat person it was because he has "owned" the game longer than the allotted 14 days

Like he said the damn game came out that night he requested the refund and this escalated person said the system would not let them override it

He was given a link to appeal once again that would push it further up the chain and I asked him today if he heard anything new and his reply was simply "FUCK MICROSOFT"

That sounds absolutely shit for your friend. What are Microsoft thinking!?

Hopefully it gets sorted.

Mozzarella

Xbox fanboys losing their minds over the 7 is hilarious. So much salt and Copium from them. 7 is still a decent score. Why are they so mad that reviewers don’t share their sentiment that it’s a GOTY?
I dont think its fair to single out Xbox fanboys when every fanboys for hyped games do the same.
Breath of the Wild fans sent death threats for a reviewer who gave it a 7.
God of War Ragnarok declared war on the korean who called it glorified DLC and gave it 6.
Cyberpunk 2077 fans lost their mind at the Gamespot girl who gave it a 7.

Withnail

Going to be interesting to see how opinions evolve once the internet is inevitably flooded with memes and funny videos from this game. People who paid to play it a few days early are clearly going to be a bit more willing to overlook a few issues.

Last edited:
I dont think its fair to single out Xbox fanboys when every fanboys for hyped games do the same.
Breath of the Wild fans sent death threats for a reviewer who gave it a 7.
God of War Ragnarok declared war on the korean who called it glorified DLC and gave it 6.
Cyberpunk 2077 fans lost their mind at the Gamespot girl who gave it a 7.
Not calling them out specifically for being Xbox fanboys, I just meant fanboys in general but in this case they happen to be on the Xbox side. I know all fanboys are clowns.

StereoVsn

When Jeff Gerstmann likes it, you know its a fucking good game. Especially after how he hated Fallout 4 in the end.

Also lmao IGN and PCgamer US, horrible publications. Giving Watch Dogs Legion an 8 but giving Starfield a 7 is truly hilarious and should tell you all you need to know about IGN.

Or... their reviewers feel different order if importance to different parts of the game.

GameSpot, IGN and PC Gamer usually have meh reviews but are never particularly harsh. They just didn't like aspects of the game.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I need some sort of vehicle for exploring planets and moons. I saw a single “ out post “ on this moon but when I landed turns out it’s a pretty huge area with pirates and caves but I hate running everywhere. 😒

jorgejjvr

I thought it was just me. The gunplay is booboo

Starting to feel the same. It's just not grabbing me. I keep playing in hopes that it will get better but I don't know...
I literally can't aim for shit in this game, real turn off

Also, what's up with no area maps?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Eh...."owning" should start once the game is playable. That's a stupid way to do that. Sorry for your friend.

Fools idol

Banned
gave up on this one boys.

First bethesda game I wont ever finish. It's just ass.

Absolutly confused as fuck why they would make out the game is this big vast open explorable universe and it literally is you just clicking on a star map where to go and teleporting there back and forth. I have had more exploration and sense of adventure taking a shit.

Last edited:

Hugare

It gives me an idea of the reviewers' preferences. If you enjoy Superbad more than Aliens then I would not want your taste to influence my purchasing decisions since it doesn't align with mine.
'k, then dont read more reviews from him then

His opinion isnt "wrong" just because you dont agree, tho

GHG

Gold Member
gave up on this one boys.

First bethesda game I wont ever finish. It's just ass.

Absolutly confused as fuck why they would make out the game is this big vast open explorable universe and it literally is you just clicking on a star map where to go and teleporting there back and forth. I have had more exploration and sense of adventure taking a shit.
Just a tip, if you neogaf while taking a shit it's 16 times the exploration.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

Yoboman

Bethesda remind me of Nokia

A real original innovator, they thrived in open worlds when competition was lesser. But as many competitors overtook them, they failed to keep up. Stagnated, but there was still always something nostalgic about a new Nokia phone even if it was kind of ass

Then Microsoft buys them and shuts them down within a few years

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, the Twitter mob is harassing that IGN reviewer who gave the game a 7. I won't be linking the tweets, but you can easily find them if you look them up.
I mean, those guys are nuts. Let the guy give it a 7. He's wrong but that's fine lol.

I feel the closest to Karak Karak review. Amazing review that mirrors my thoughts exactly.

They are going to be brutal on it. Doing these comments after 3 hours of play. This game will be around for years, and the people that love it will play it for years. It's not for some people and that's fine.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I have to say that even after 19 hours i'm still not used to the overly complicated and clunky menu screens. I actually think the minimalist style makes them more complicated to navigate, and having to sometimes go in and out of 3 or 4 menus to get to something, well i find it quite strange after how simple everyhting was in Skyrim, and even Fallout with the pipboy.

Still loving eveything else, and about 16 or my 19 hours has been literally just hopping around randon planets and exploring.

I really hope modders can introduce some simpler and easier to navigate menu's though.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You don't need more than 6 hours to realize there is no "unparalleled freedom" at all. The game is very upfront about what it is and especially what it isn't after 45 minutes of gameplay.

Yeah, it's a fallout game in space with better writing and missions but you are basically fast travelling around. Flying seems like its for dog fights and looting ships, but you're not just gonna fly through space.

They could build on that side, but I'm just in love with the missions, the conversations, the raiding outposts. Doing missions basically. The flying is fun for me but its not like I'm gonna sit down on my ship and fly for 2 hours.

Top Bottom