• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We are missing Heisenberg and I got the quartet of the gaming police here 😅😅😅
Comforting 30 Rock GIF

McCarth

As an outside observer who hasn’t played the game yet, more and more long play impressions and reviews appear to be taking some of the sheen off the game, so much so it doesn’t seem like it will be looked back as a 9/10 ish title that the overall reviews indicate (don’t bite my head off, just my thoughts on the more I watch/read).

The Easy Allies impression vid (I know I know) really goes in on the copy pasting, repetitive design, lack of polish and performance.

What’s unfortunate for Bethesda is I think Starfield was simply put in a place where it was never going to meet the hype. I also wonder if, as crazy as this seems, they actually shifted away from design to polish and QA faster than they would’ve wanted due to MS needing this game out the door this year.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Then I guess that I took their marketing the wrong way. After that Starfield Direct, I thought that you could freely explore space and that exploration on planets was seemless. Then I guess the game is not for me, sounds like these things would annoy me really quickly. Thanks for your info.

That is what they are offering though. It's just that it sounds like your idea of space exploration isn't scientifically grounded and is based more on Star Wars / Star-Trek (which is fine), where this game is a likely based more in realism (with the exception of the space folding which is a real theory, but obviously not practical in a literal sense). Though they are bending the rules to create more a little more fun, in reality dog-fighting in low orbit really wouldn't be possible as you would end up loosing your orbital speed and falling to the surface by accident, LOL. In the real-world you would be trying to careful adjust your orbit to match this other ship to create an interception point or fully synchronizing the orbit to dock.

I should have made clear that when I referencing free-flight space, I was speaking of the real world. The game does have some free-flight, dog fighting, etc.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That is what they are offering though. It's just that it sounds like your idea of space exploration isn't scientifically grounded and is based more on Star Wars / Star-Trek (which is fine), where this game is a likely based more in realism (with the exception of the space folding which is a real theory, but obviously not practical in a literal sense). Though they are bending the rules to create more a little more fun, in reality dog-fighting in low orbit really wouldn't be possible as you would end up loosing your orbital speed and falling to the surface by accident, LOL. In the real-world you would be trying to careful adjust your orbit to match this other ship to create an interception point or fully synchronizing the orbit to dock.

I should have made clear that when I referencing free-flight space, I was speaking of the real world. The game does have some free-flight, dog fighting, etc.
FYI — in this game, you can walk on the moon without your helmet, breathe the air, and not die.

I’d not say that this game is based on realism.

Edit: Here is the proof as some were saying that's not true.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

FYI — in this game, you can walk on the moon without your helmet, breathe the air, and not die.

I’d not say that this game is based on realism.

LOL, maybe a bug or something since they do seem to have the characters is sealed space suits when not in an atmosphere. Although these are brave souls get in these gun fights in situations where they need the suits.

They should have not allowed you to exit the suit outside the ship or somewhere with air.

Like I said, they've clearly taken liberties with it, just not as much as Star-Wars/Star-Trek when it comes to the ships and the number of populated planets etc.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Being able to fly through space isn't scientifically grounded?
There is no free-flight in space in the real world, no.

You are always hurtling through space in an orbit of some kind or another (or free falling to the surface of something). All you can realistically do with a rocket in the real world is make adjustments to your orbit, or exit that orbit to then be trapped in another orbit (you reach escape velocity of earth and now you are orbiting around the Sun). You can't just fly up, down, right or left because your primary momentum is the orbit you are effectively trapped in. The entire galaxy is actually spinning, as is the whole known universe but many groups of objects are synchronized with each other to varies degrees.

They could have included these mechanics for people that wanted to experiment with it, like the rocket simulators and those types of things. As long as it was skip-able for people that wanted to play the role of a character in the world (which is the primary part of the game I'm taking it).

Last edited:

Hudo

There is no free-flight in space in the real world, no.

You are always hurtling through space in an orbit of some kind or another (or free falling to the surface of something). All you can realistically do with a rocket in the real world is make adjustments to your orbit, or exit that orbit to then be trapped in another orbit (you reach escape velocity of earth and now you are orbiting around the Sun). You can't just fly up, down, right or left because your primary momentum is the orbit you are effectively trapped in.
Okay, but Starfield doesn't simulate that either, that you have to catapult yourself from gravitational field to gravitational field...

I find your whole argument that the game is "too real" for me weird. For that, it simulates even less than the current scam build of Star Citizen. You can find on the Starfield subreddit custom ships of people that shouldn't be physically possible to fly (someone built a space ship out of containers resembling a humanoid, for example), as you said, the dog-fighting is also not how space ships in reality behave. Their whole main story quest line is centered on fetching MacGuffins based on some unobtanium.

If anything, Starfield takes a lot cues from Star Trek (which used to be proper sci-fi, btw). I think there are a lot of elements, be it purely for gameplay reasons or because the designers just found them cool, that are fairly far removed from reality. And that's OK. For me, it was always clear that when they talked about "NASA-Punk", they mostly meant the aesthetics they were going for. And that, they nailed, imho.

DaGwaphics

Okay, but Starfield doesn't simulate that either, that you have to catapult yourself from gravitational field to gravitational field...

I find your whole argument that the game is "too real" for me weird. For that, it simulates even less than the current scam build of Star Citizen. You can find on the Starfield subreddit custom ships of people that shouldn't be physically possible to fly (someone built a space ship out of containers resembling a humanoid, for example), as you said, the dog-fighting is also not how space ships in reality behave. Their whole main story quest line is centered on fetching MacGuffins based on some unobtanium.

If anything, Starfield takes a lot cues from Star Trek (which used to be proper sci-fi, btw). I think there are a lot of elements, be it purely for gameplay reasons or because the designers just found them cool, that are fairly far removed from reality. And that's OK. For me, it was always clear that when they talked about "NASA-Punk", they mostly meant the aesthetics they were going for. And that, they nailed, imho.

They definitely take liberties with a lot of it, likely just to try and make things more interesting. It isn't perfectly real but is trying to be relatively realistic, which you see some people complaining about (like when people complain that it feels like they aren't going anywhere when they are trying to fly in space) which is realistic given the relative size of planets you are trying to fly to and away from and the distance being covered etc. The rocket simulators just let you fast-forward through these tedious parts, Starfield just opted to skip those parts (whether just because they thought it would be too time consuming or just because of engine limitations, etc.).

That person that created that transformer looking space ship, I do imagine it would take a lot of fuel and some hope a prayers to get that out of an atmosphere in one piece. Though, I guess the Space Shuttle is proof that with enough wasted resources you can get an asinine design into space. LOL

Again, I'm not saying that these type of things can't be fun in a game, even when things are handled in a realistic way. Or that games are bad when they just throw away the rule-book and create a really gamified version of space. I spent many, many hours in KSP (an embarrassing amount really) and I've had plenty of fun in Star Wars games etc. I'm just not sure I want to be taking the time to do that when my primary goal is trying to get to point B to complete a quest in a role playing game. Maybe mods add this in or Bethesda does in an expansion or something, as long as it is skip-able for people that don't want to mess with it I'm good.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

thats y i love internet, even in a game forum we can meet physicist like DaGwaphics DaGwaphics to teach us what is possible or not in space.

Hardly, but the scientific principles behind the more popular rocket simulators are sound. LOL

Even Nasa scientists (actual smart people with the knowledge to back it up) have stated that the principles behind KSP are sound and they encourage people with an interest in space to give it a try. Everything in it is at basically 1/10th scale, which makes it a lot more forgiving than real life (much easier to reach distant planets and launch large rockets, etc.), but it does try to be a true to life simulation of orbital mechanics.

Lokaum D+

That's cool then, in tespects to your posts. I have my genuine slight annoyances with the game. Primarily the loading and the definite feeling of constraint in the first few hours. But after 15 hours I'm now leaning into this is a straight up 9 out of 10 maybe higher is it continues to surprise me with the actual dialogue and missions.
loading screen for sure break the immersion but there is a lot more , gunplay is shallow and have no impact, AI is dumb as hell, all gameplay mechanics are half assed imo, but the sinner is the lack of exploration and space dog-fighting, on my mind since i did midia blackout for some time to not get spoiled we would get a NMS with good shoothing, dog fighting, exploration all of this with AAA graphics and RPG elements and what I've got is far far far way from this, 15 hours in and aside from the good dialogue, some good mission ( that has a lot of cringe stuff imo ) gameplay loop is becoming tiresome and boring.

the truth is that i never really liked Bethesda games and with all the market around Starfield ( all the space shit ) i thought that this would be a good entry point for a "non Bethesda fan" i was deadly wrong.

Last edited:

Red5

I would rate Superbad a 10/10 and Aliens a 9/10

Does that mean that Superbad is factually better than Aliens? No. Just that I enjoyed Superbad more for what it was trying to achieve than Aliens.

Is Duke Nuken Forever an open world game set in space with focus on exploration? No. So it's apples and oranges.

Movies/games reviews are subjective. Read the review, understand what the reviewer complained about and see if you would feel the same.

Stop comparing scores for different games

It gives me an idea of the reviewers' preferences. If you enjoy Superbad more than Aliens then I would not want your taste to influence my purchasing decisions since it doesn't align with mine.

Nankatsu

So considering this was Xbox biggest exclusive, and things are basically not exactly like they told it would be, where does that leave them (both Bethesda and Microsoft?)

Go On Popcorn GIF

Last edited:
Xbox fanboys losing their minds over the 7 is hilarious. So much salt and Copium from them. 7 is still a decent score. Why are they so mad that reviewers don’t share their sentiment that it’s a GOTY?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
From what people have said, the opening tutorial would handle that, no need to complete the main quest. Isn't the refund policy like 2hrs of play or less? :messenger_winking_tongue:
Not sure what the refund policy is for Microsoft at this point as what a friend is going through right now makes me question preordering too early.

Long story short his PC died during the initial cave quest and he ordered a new one that wont arrive until this upcoming week

He only upgraded his gamepass edition to the premium to play early so he put in a refund request and has been denied twice now with the message "You've exceeded the allowable refund period for digital game purchases" and was told by one the escalated chat person it was because he has "owned" the game longer than the allotted 14 days

Like he said the damn game came out that night he requested the refund and this escalated person said the system would not let them override it

He was given a link to appeal once again that would push it further up the chain and I asked him today if he heard anything new and his reply was simply "FUCK MICROSOFT"

So not sure if he has heard something or not, I didn't ask :)

norm9

It's not far fetched that dude gives you a space ship. He experienced the same thing you did when touching the Artifact and he says its extremely important to get to the Lodge. 🤷‍♂️

eta- does anyone know what Planetary Trait is? Is it something that describes what the planet is like? Or is it a trait you can use personally on your own build?

Last edited:

Red5

So considering this was Xbox biggest exclusive, and things are basically not exactly like they told it would be, where does that leave them (both Bethesda and Microsoft?)

Go On Popcorn GIF

At 100 reviews in, it has a score of 88

It has 235,000 concurrent users on Steam and that's just premium preorders, excluding Xbox.

Top Bottom