• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

I have literally NO experience with Warhawk or Starhawk, but I like games that encourage teamwork and have lots of action.

Will I like this?
I think so. The action is glorious and the teamwork is almost necessary. It's up to players to defend areas and create forward spawns. No pre-determined choke points that force groups into areas. As much as I thought the lack of base goals was poor design, I now view it as refreshing and necessary for the game.

Brannon

$40 and a few hours of single player later, I'm in like with this game. I haven't done any multiplayer yet, but I did end up beating the campaign.

It's... well it teaches you how to play. So yay to that! There was this constant sound bug during cut scenes that would de-sync the voices, and the story itself was bleaugh, but I know better than to even think about taking the story in this game seriously; it truly is an afterthought.

Now for the meat.

Holy shit after all the Limited Edition content I had to dl, the Online Pass, the Sweet Tooth skin, and the firmware update, there's STILL a 450MB game patch left. -_-

This is probably the lengthiest process I've ever had to deal with to play a console game on Day 1. lol

Alright, patch is almost done downloading. Here we go!

Edit: Oh, of course it has to install 2.5GB to my hard drive as well. lol

Edit 2: Did anyone get their beta special items and Warhawk skin? Cuz I didn't. :(

george_us

Damn I'm really liking this game so far. A strange hodgepodge of different styles yet it all works very well. Good job, Lightbox!

Nightz

Been playing the campaign just to get the hang of things and I'm enjoying it a lot. Can't wait to get destroyed in multi!

Been playing the campaign just to get the hang of things and I'm enjoying it a lot. Can't wait to get destroyed in multi!

ill play some co-op with you tonight if you want. or multiplayer although i don't understand zones yet :/

i'll be back in in probably an hour and a half or so

A few questions for those who have the game, first a little a caveat.

I really enjoyed WarHawk and I'm really not a MP type of player.

Question 1: Is the SP any good? I've read the reviews but I'm not familiar with any of the authors to really rely upon their judgement.

Question 2: Will the single player give me a good enough tutorial to play effectively online

Thanks in advance.

rbanke

Holy shit after all the Limited Edition content I had to dl, the Online Pass, the Sweet Tooth skin, and the firmware update, there's STILL a 450MB game patch left. -_-

This is probably the lengthiest process I've ever had to deal with to play a console game on Day 1. lol

Alright, patch is almost done downloading. Here we go!

Edit: Oh, of course it has to install 2.5GB to my hard drive as well. lol

Edit 2: Did anyone get their beta special items and Warhawk skin? Cuz I didn't. :(

Dylan Jobe said Sony is sending them through psn as message attachments link

rbanke

A few questions for those who have the game, first a little a caveat.

I really enjoyed WarHawk and I'm really not a MP type of player.

Question 1: Is the SP any good? I've read the reviews but I'm not familiar with any of the authors to really rely upon their judgement.

Question 2: Will the single player give me a good enough tutorial to play effectively online

Thanks in advance.

1) I'm a few hours in and to me, it feels a LOT like the sp campaign from an RTS. It has a story, and your doing objectives, but it feels like each mission is just a way to introduce you to game mechanics & new parts of the tech tree. I'm having fun, but the sp is nothing super great IMO.

2) It seems like it's covering all the main points of how to play, which is something Warhawk never did even after they added that tutorial. I'd say its a good primer for the mp (so far at least)

1) I'm a few hours in and to me, it feels a LOT like the sp campaign from an RTS. It has a story, and your doing objectives, but it feels like each mission is just a way to introduce you to game mechanics & new parts of the tech tree. I'm having fun, but the sp is nothing super great IMO.

2) It seems like it's covering all the main points of how to play, which is something Warhawk never did even after they added that tutorial. I'd say its a good primer for the mp (so far at least)

Good, I think I'll pick it up in about 10min.

I was a HUGE fan of Warhawk (put hundreds of hours into it), but Starhawk just didn't grab me like Warhawk did. Just not my cup of tea I suppose. In any case, I hope the game is really successful, and if Warhawk is anything to go by players can expect an amazing amount of post-release support, so major props to Lightbox.

This was pretty much my experience, minus the hundreds of hours part, didn't play quite that much due to the lack of a party system. I'll still buy the game but not until it shows up on Sony's rls.

Convince me to buy this game, GAF. I have all day tomorrow to do whatever I want.
Fighting over zones on a map made up of a cluster of broken planet chunks was amazing.

Killing a guy who just summoned a sniper tower and taking the opportunity to use it against his team felt so good.

Having a chase that began in the air finish with a drama kill knife attack on foot can never be replicated in cod.

see5harp

I was thinking about picking this up. Gamestop near my house has limited edition copies and I have enough credit to pick it up. I'm just really having a tough time spending the $60 on day one. I feel really cheap right now but I guess Mother's Day is coming up so I have an excuse.

picked it up installed the patch, and low and behold. I didn't know I purchased the Limited Edition. It prompted me download all this stuff and I was like cool and then I looked at the game box and laughed at myself.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
Fighting over zones on a map made up of a cluster of broken planet chunks was amazing.

Killing a guy who just summoned a sniper tower and taking the opportunity to use it against his team felt so good.

Having a chase that began in the air finish with a drama kill knife attack on foot can never be replicated in cod.

Welp, that settles it then. I'll pick this up when I wake up tomorrow.

PSN: GTAclaude22

PerZona

Just tried out this game last night, and had a ton of fun playing CTF! Love using my pod to take revenge on the people that killed me :p

Once I get to fly the hawk in the sky, oh my it totally reminds me of Warhawk. I am going to have so much fun in this game!

To anybody who owns the game:

Is it anything like Giants: Citizen Kabuto? I'm getting that kind of vibe from the base building shooter mechanics, but I may be way off base.

If so, please sign me up, because seriously, G:CK was goddamn amazement.

Nice to see alot of positive reactions, even from my fellow Starhawk Beta testers. Longtime Warhawk [GAF] clan member, I didn't buy this game yet not due to the game itself (I didn't buy Warhawk until over a year after it came out), but I really didn't want to dole out $60 for the game. Not to mention I had some issues with the very last big update in the beta.

I'm happy that even MoonsaultSlayer seems genuinely surprised at how the gameplay is. :p

btkadams

um holy shit?? got the game tonight and played for about an hour and a half with my friend (online multiplayer). this game is so much fun. it brings back so many warhawk memories. i can't wait to play more. i'm having a couple friends over this friday to play with me. we played the shit out of warhawk in high school so this is going to be great. the sidewinders are soooo soooo soooo COOOOL.

fyi, i played the beta for probably an hour and i didn't really get it or enjoy it. i don't know what happened, but i just really was into it tonight.

Setre

Oh man, played a few matches before dinner and just put in a good hour’s worth. Really glad I went ahead and bought this and didn’t wait for a digital release. Probably the most fun I’ve had in a multiplayer game in a long time. For me this game has already proven itself better than Warhawk. For any fence sitters if you want just an all-around fun multiplayer experience I say go ahead and jump on it.

My only complaint is that you can’t jump out of a hawk while in flight mode. I can understand why it wouldn’t let you without a jetpack but when you have one it seems silly. I’m sure it’s for balance reasons and I can’t remember if Warhawk let you do it once they added jetpacks.

Loudninja

Awesome impressions guys, I join you layer to month unfortunately.

Like I said my PS3 is busted and I have to get a new one first.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm four levels into the campaign and am pleasantly surprised with how much arcadey fun it is. Like I said before though, I can't seem to stray away from the cooperative mode for too long- it's unbelievably fun.

This game is no 6.5. I hope people try this out.

Is the final game much different from the beta? The vibe in this thread is a lot different from the beta threads.

i played the beta for about 30 minutes and i remember fucking hating it. i honestly went in blind on the beta and really had no idea what i was doing. i played for a couple hours tonight and the game is awesome.

the coolest thing that i did is this fucking dickbag kept hanging around the base and running me over when i'd get out of the pod. then i realized i could generate an auto turret on the way down and have it sent down before i even left my pod (because you get like 10 seconds that you can stay in the pod or eject). so i called down the auto turret and this dick bag and a couple buddies of his got owned by my turret just as i was getting out of the pod

i actually had a lot of fun playing team deathmatch. i know it's not as innovate as zones or some of the other modes but its just fun. there was a time where this guy was sniping us from an unknown location. this other guy on my team saw where he was, built a laser tower and destroyed the entire side of the mountain where he was camped out to kill him lol

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Sigh, like a sucker, I paid $17 more than I should have for the game so I could play this by next week rather than going the cheaper route but not getting it until 2 weeks from now. I guess it's less than the $90 I could have paid had I drove to the store to get it... Sick of Aussie prices.

I loved Warhawk for ps3 but I came in late so I missed getting to see a lot of the multiplayer. I wasn't sold on this earlier but the positive buzz and a couple of the previews I watched make the game seem promising. Can't wait to play.

I returned Prototype 2 for this, and I'm so glad I made the decision cause this game is god like! I have so much fun building and the hawks are just so damn satisfying to fly.

Seventy5

Is there any way to play the co-op with randoms? It seems like I can only invite friends, like Resistance 3, and I hated that I couldn't play because none of my friends had it.

Also, just had my first wtf moment. My team was filled with morons, and everybody just built fucking walls and 3 (three!!) garages right next to each other. 32 player game, and we got beat to shit by one guy perched with a sniper rifle above us, one guy in a mech hawk and a flag runner who would just grab our flag and run, dropping turrets behind him. That bullshit actually worked and they got 3 caps in like 4 minutes. Idiots on my team kept reclaiming the supply depot and sniper tower that I kept building. Ugh. Still, gaming is amazing.

Gritesh

I was a big warhawk fan, never played it hardcore but totally loved the experience.

In any case when Starhawk was announced I was hyped to all hell.

I downloaded the beta and to my dismay I hated it. HATED IT!

In any case I had some extra money left on a gift card and thought "Why not I will give it a go"

That was like 5 hours ago, I haven't been able to stop playing since.

Sooooo much fun, epic battles taking place everywhere, teammates working together to push new zones, just overall an amazing experience. I never really got good with the hawks, but I love sneaking around the map and dropping a couple walls and turrets and helping turn the tide of battle.

If you are on the fence about this game, get off the fence and run out and buy it.

Best online experience on PS3 that I can remember.

ALSO

Please add me, Gritesh is my PSN.

Would like to get in on the GAF clan if possible too!

Seventy5

Do any of the developers post on GAF? This game absolutely needs a voice prompt. Like "the enemy took your flag" and stuff. It's chaotic, and it would make it easier to keep up.

I'm confused by the effusive love from all these people who actually bought it. What happened to all the mixed reactions from the beta? I played the beta for a few hours, found it fun, if somehow lacking. Did they really change that much? I'm tempted from all this hype!

EXGN

Went in blind and having a really awesome time. It was super intimidating at first because I went straight in for the multiplayer and had no idea what I was doing but I'm getting the hang of it. Was going 0/5, 1/4 a lot at the start, but now I'm going even or positive with a few games under the belt.

Best experience so far: An enemy in a jeep tried to run me down but missed. As he turned around, I summoned a turret. I got caught in a corner as he tried to run me over again, but the turret touched down JUST in time that he got caught on it, which gave me the time i needed to blow him up with a grenade.

A few questions for people that have played more than me:

-Are sniper hits 1-hit kills? Can't tell if I'm getting a few lucky headshots or if they are indeed 1 shot hits.

-When would you want the flak turret and when would you want the beam turret? Is one better against air and the other against ground units?

Is the final game much different from the beta? The vibe in this thread is a lot different from the beta threads.
That's what I'm thinking. From what I'm reading, they sped the gameplay up/run speed.
Do any of the developers post on GAF? This game absolutely needs a voice prompt. Like "the enemy took your flag" and stuff. It's chaotic, and it would make it easier to keep up.
The longtime Beta players have echoed this since January. No dice :(
-Are sniper hits 1-hit kills? Can't tell if I'm getting a few lucky headshots or if they are indeed 1 shot hits.

-When would you want the flak turret and when would you want the beam turret? Is one better against air and the other against ground units?
1) Railgun is not a 1-hit kill like in Warhawk, you need a headshot. However they are extremely damaging.
2) ... flak turret?

EDIT: SWEET SASSY MOLASSY

I'm confused by the effusive love from all these people who actually bought it. What happened to all the mixed reactions from the beta? I played the beta for a few hours, found it fun, if somehow lacking. Did they really change that much? I'm tempted from all this hype!

Same, I enjoyed the beta too. The reviews and impressions sound great, especially the tactics and strategies that can be used in MP.

Thrakier

The beta was solid, tech and framerate killd it. It felt like walking in mud, somewhat unresponsive and flying was impossible to me because it felt so laggy. There was quite a amount of stuttering as well.

Now, I'd need a opinion on that from a real techhead whom I may trust (preferable Darkx10)...is this issue fixed? Beacuse it wasn't in the latest beta version a few weeks ago...

I was a big warhawk fan, never played it hardcore but totally loved the experience.

In any case when Starhawk was announced I was hyped to all hell.

I downloaded the beta and to my dismay I hated it. HATED IT!

In any case I had some extra money left on a gift card and thought "Why not I will give it a go"

That was like 5 hours ago, I haven't been able to stop playing since.

Sooooo much fun, epic battles taking place everywhere, teammates working together to push new zones, just overall an amazing experience. I never really got good with the hawks, but I love sneaking around the map and dropping a couple walls and turrets and helping turn the tide of battle.

So the full game is even more improved than the beta?

Top Bottom