• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Nice to see alot of positive reactions, even from my fellow Starhawk Beta testers. Longtime Warhawk [GAF] clan member, I didn't buy this game yet not due to the game itself (I didn't buy Warhawk until over a year after it came out), but I really didn't want to dole out $60 for the game. Not to mention I had some issues with the very last big update in the beta.

I'm happy that even MoonsaultSlayer seems genuinely surprised at how the gameplay is. :p

Is the final game much different from the beta? The vibe in this thread is a lot different from the beta threads.
It is SO much better than the beta. I'm only going on zones mode, by the way, where it encourages players to leave the base. I still don't even know how to take over a zone but it sure as hell was fun fighting over them. Great, action-packed fun. My first match had both teams with 2 full zones acquired but the center was occupied by the enemy at the smallest cap level. This particular zone was isolated to its own chunk of planet debris and the edge of our zone JUST reached that floating isle for my pod to come down within their zone. It was so fun ruining their day as they built structures that were meant to be defenses haha. Even getting ruined was fun as hell.

I never played the PS3 Warhawk, only the original back in the day. I put this in and played the single player for over an hour. Too bad I was so tired because I relly wanted to play longer. It has left a very positive impression on me so far. The character controls are a bit wonky (nothing I cannot get used to), but piloting the Hawk is a joy. You have controls for flight, foot, and vehicles but all of those combined feel like less controls than Twisted Metal 3, lol.

Good game. I'm glad I took a chance.

I'm so glad I didn't follow the reviews and went with the recommendation of the fellas who have the game. I'm really enjoying the SP. I woke up this morning and played for 15min before going to work. I haven't did that in a very long time. I love the build and battle system in the SP and the enemy AI in SP is like playing a HORDE mode. The WarHawk handles so well and the transition from WarHawk To Mech is pretty good. I love the Stomp attack, reminds me of a Godzilla type of move.

I didn't get online, my bluetooth wasn't charged and ready to go. I like playing with my mic(being a better teammate). I will get on this evening, I loved Zone in WarHawk, so that's where I'll spend my time.

I am kinda confused... If I go and buy the Game at GameStop, will it still come with the co-op map or was that only for preorders? Is the code in the game case or on the receipt?

Bollocks

What? According to the PS EU blog the release date for Mainland Europe is today?
Is this true? I thought the release will be on Friday.
I'm tempted to go out and buy it although I didn't like the beta, but the ratings seem to be good and I'm looking for a new MP game.

ironcreed

Banned
Knocked out The Witcher 2 from my backlog last night, so I am feeling good about going ahead and getting this. Will likely order it today.

All copies of Starhawk are Limited Editions right now, its the wave of the first print. All goodies are packed inside, no code on receipt or anything.

I am kinda confused... If I go and buy the Game at GameStop, will it still come with the co-op map or was that only for preorders? Is the code in the game case or on the receipt?
The Limited Edition is the one that contains all that stuff, and GameStop is the only one with the LE as far as I know. You don't need a preorder, because I walked in and bought the LE yesterday without one.

All copies of Starhawk are Limited Editions right now, its the wave of the first print.
Not true. LE is Gamestop exclusive this time around. If you go to any other store for a first-print copy, you're getting the standard edition.

Not sure about UK, though.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm sitting at the office now tapping my fingers on my desk.

5 pm can't come fast enough. I want to hop back into Starhawk asap.

PerZona

I'm getting all the DLC goodies via a single code, like 7 DLCs lol. First time seeing so many DLCs being activated using only a single code. Not to mention the Sweet Tooth DLC for Starhawk that's included in the Twisted Metal game too.

Starhawk is so under the radar...looks like Diablo III, Max Payne 3 and Dragon's Dogma kinda overshadowed it.

Darkkn

So is this a full retail game or PSN release? Full priced? If so i'll pass, but if it's 20€ from PSN i'd definitely give it try. The official web page is horrible and does not even show release date when reviews are out or much of any other information about the game.

Game looks intriguing, but the SP element seems like just glorified bot matches and i would have much rather just bought the MP mode alone.

EXGN

I bought it at Walmart through my no receipt trick..... That game is DOPE....Authur Geiss was wrong in his review.

I by no means think Geiss is a bad reviewer (and I actually like his insight, even though I frequently don't agree), but I think two things may have impacted his review.

First, that he values polish over innovation (and Starhawk definitely falls into the latter category) and second that he has a full review schedule which limits the time he can put into the game (I think he said he's reviewing this concurrently with Max Payne 3). He mentioned both of these things on the latest Rebel FM.

From my first night of playing, Starhawk seems like a game that requires a significant time investment to get the hang of multiplayer and that a single weekend probably isn't the best way to review this game. I think this will be much like its predecessor where it doesn't review very well but has a strong community following of dedicated players.

KalBalboa

Banned
I by no means think Geiss is a bad reviewer (and I actually like his insight, even though I frequently don't agree), but I think two things may have impacted his review.

First, that he values polish over innovation (and Starhawk definitely falls into the latter category) and second that he has a full review schedule which limits the time he can put into the game (I think he said he's reviewing this concurrently with Max Payne 3).

I wonder if he tried split screen at all. He seemed to approach the campaign as the bread winner of the game.

And, I hate to be that guy, but have you ever heard the guy talk about Uncharted 3?

First, that he values polish over innovation (and Starhawk definitely falls into the latter category) and second that he has a full review schedule which limits the time he can put into the game (I think he said he's reviewing this concurrently with Max Payne 3). He mentioned both of these things on the latest Rebel FM.

From my first night of playing, Starhawk seems like a game that requires a significant time investment to get the hang of multiplayer and that a single weekend probably isn't the best way to review this game. I think this will be much like its predecessor where it doesn't review very well but has a strong community following of dedicated players.

I think that is a fair assessment. I know he has a lot on his plate. I know it requires a lot of time. I put over 150 hrs in Warhawk myself.

Raoh

SO happy to have the day off of work, about to start my campaign mode.

As I was checking the reviews, uhmm.. g4tv listed this as a con.

Makes Warhawk look dated

what?

It feels like it was put there just to add a con.

Plumpman

I picked it up and it seems like they made huge improvements from the beta, but is it just me or does it feel like the game is running at a constant sub-20 fps in multiplayer? It makes it very hard to aim, but otherwise GREAT fun.

Anyone down for some coop later tonight?

My PSN: Plumpman

Mrbob

I bought it at Walmart through my no receipt trick..... That game is DOPE....Authur Geiss was wrong in his review.

I dunno if he is wrong, he thinks what he thinks. However, I do have a problem relying too much on reviews for multi player based games. Unless these reviewers plan to do an update to their review a month or two after release they are virtually worthless.

Multi player is always about the community anyways and whether or not they embrace a game.

Wasdie

Neo Member
My only real question is, how long will the multiplayer community stay active?

I've got a dozen games I'm playing right now and not a lot of time to play them. I need to clear my back log a bit more before I start buying new games. With Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3 coming out next week, time and money is getting a bit tight.

So, could I put off buying this game for awhile. Will the community stay alive?

Mrbob

My only real question is, how long will the multiplayer community stay active?

I've got a dozen games I'm playing right now and not a lot of time to play them. I need to clear my back log a bit more before I start buying new games. With Diablo 3 and Max Payne 3 coming out next week, time and money is getting a bit tight.

So, could I put off buying this game for awhile. Will the community stay alive?

If it ends up like Warhawk, I'd say yes. It stayed alive even through map pack fracturing.

ironcreed

Banned
Is there any reason to play the SP? I really just want to jump into the multi on this if I pick it up.

I know I am going to just to get all the mechanics down. I spent very little time with the beta and did not quite learn everything. Besides, what I have watched of it looks like pure fun. Not going into this for a great story or anything, just for a unique third person shooter in a vivid sci-fi environment.

I know I am going to just to get all the mechanics down. I spent very little time with the beta and did not quite learn everything. Besides, what I have watched of it looks like pure fun. Not going into this for a great story or anything, just for a unique third person shooter in a vivid sci-fi environment.

I just want to make sure they didn't tie any multiplayer content into single player unlockables.

EXGN

Is there any reason to play the SP? I really just want to jump into the multi on this if I pick it up.

I played two-three hours of multi before touching the SP and learned a trick or two I didn't realize (like the fact that you can build auto turrets on walls).

Top Bottom