• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

I'm kinda sad alot of the old Warhawk [GAF] clan hasn't been more involved in Starhawk. Guys like Sea manky, Carlos, tntbtln, etc. were all over Warhawk organizing and helping to run shit. I guess like me they were not convinced Day 1 due to the beta...

Enco

What do you Warhawk fans think of it after spending some time with it?

Warhawk is the best online game I've played but I wasn't a big fan of the beta for Starhawk. The movement felt pretty clunky and the knife was awful. The maps sucked too. Have those things improved?

Himself

The Beta was intriguing enough and I really want to give this another shot. I think Twisted Metal has something to do with me being extremely hesitant about buying a MP focused game at the moment. Half of me wants to go out and get it right now and the other, more reasonable half is telling me to wait at least a week or so for more community feedback.

In case anyone cared what my current dilemma is...

r.gun

Neo Member
Wow is co-op ever hard! I was playing in a game with 4 people and we couldn't get past round 3. The guys just keep coming and coming and our defenses drop like flies.

Anyone have any strategies?

aegies

Wow is co-op ever hard! I was playing in a game with 4 people and we couldn't get past round 3. The guys just keep coming and coming and our defenses drop like flies.

Repair arms. Also remember that you can take control of beam and flak turrets. Near the end of a wave, leave one enemy alive and farm rift energy from the barrels around the level, so you can build out your defenses properly.

Just curious how many missions are there in the campaign? I'm on "The Pit" right now and I'm pretty curious how far I am in the game.

KalBalboa

Banned

A smart way to begin is to make sure you collect all rift possible across the map before starting. From there, try and have at least one weapons cache (four rift), if possible. The rest of your strategy will really depend on the map you're in, but I've found that have an arm by your base and (if you're facing snipers) a sniper tower is key for most scenarios.

Fun fact: putting three walls around your arm not only protects it from enemies but also allows those walls to be healed by the arm itself after taking damage.

I would also try spawning a razorback, destroying the garage it came from in order to recoup that extra rift, and then using that razorback as a turrent for whatever your first wave might be after using it to scout the map for rift, but that's not really a great idea for every map.

btkadams

Played for a few hours again tonight. It's still so much fun! I can't wait to play with my friends this weekend.

The only concern I have with this game is the settings/levels getting old. It's cool how they're so open, so you can build your own custom bases, but it would be nice to have a bit more vegetation. A dense, forest level would be rad.

The Lamp

Played for a few hours again tonight. It's still so much fun! I can't wait to play with my friends this weekend.

The only concern I have with this game is the settings/levels getting old. It's cool how they're so open, so you can build your own custom bases, but it would be nice to have a bit more vegetation. A dense, forest level would be rad.

That's funny because I think the new map they're working on is a jungle-ish theme

carlos

I'm kinda sad alot of the old Warhawk [GAF] clan hasn't been more involved in Starhawk. Guys like Sea manky, Carlos, tntbtln, etc. were all over Warhawk organizing and helping to run shit. I guess like me they were not convinced Day 1 due to the beta...

Yeah, it's kinda sad to see...I'll be keeping an eye here for impressions and maybe I'll get it in the future, but the beta was....ehhhhh....I guess I liked it a bit, but so many things needed tweaking.

My main problem was dogfighting, missles were too easy to avoid, and those stupid auto laser turrets were too annoying and didn't let people fight each other fairly in the air.

Anyway, I hope y'all out there are enjoying it so far.

Yeah, it's kinda sad to see...I'll be keeping an eye here for impressions and maybe I'll get it in the future, but the beta was....ehhhhh....I guess I liked it a bit, but so many things needed tweaking.

My main problem was dogfighting, missles were too easy to avoid, and those stupid auto laser turrets were too annoying and didn't let people fight each other fairly in the air.

Anyway, I hope y'all out there are enjoying it so far.
The one good thing I like is reading stuff from guys like batenswytch and here on the forums that they made alot of changes. Seems like the speed of the game is faster along with more weapon balance.

Surprised more people aren't mentioning just how much of a visual powerhouse this game is

+ Wonderful art design
+ Bright colors
+ DAT Motionblur
+ MLAA?
+ solid framerate
+ large draw distances
+ great animation

Probably my biggest surprise of the year for sure as far as visuals go ....well that and Dark Souls

Hey guys, I'll add every to the clan tomorrow morning(er today) once I crawl out of bed. I'm EST timezone btw. The wife won't let me sneak off into the living room to play a few games :(

Surprised more people aren't mentioning just how much of a visual powerhouse this game is

+ Wonderful art design
+ Bright colors
+ DAT Motionblur
+ MLAA?
+ solid framerate
+ large draw distances
+ great animation

Probably my biggest surprise of the year for sure as far as visuals go ....well that and Dark Souls
Because in the beta the bolded is what people complained about ad nauseum...

- Art design was nowhere close to as visual as Warhawk
- the game lacked bright colors in the 3-4 maps we had
- People hated motionblur
- people kept saying freamerate has below 30 FPS in most areas

Now I didn't agree with them on most cases, just throwing that out there.

One thing I don't think has been talked about, that is absolutely stellar with this game, is the sound. Not just the music, but the actual effects. Just like Warhawk, this game's cacophony of destruction on the battlefield is a joy to listen to. Hearing the distant gunfire, the torpedo, the stalling sound of a crashing hawk, the bullet shells bouncing off the ground, the transformation... Candy to the ears.

sometimes

Neo Member
in the UK, waiting for my copy, looking forward to jumping back in following the fun had in the BETA

really positive impressions in here which is great, as tat is how I felt throughout the beta

One thing I don't think has been talked about, that is absolutely stellar with this game, is the sound. Not just the music, but the actual effects. Just like Warhawk, this game's cacophony of destruction on the battlefield is a joy to listen to. Hearing the distant gunfire, the torpedo, the stalling sound of a crashing hawk, the bullet shells bouncing off the ground, the transformation... Candy to the ears.

Agreed. Noticed wright away on my 5.1

score is damn good too.

RoylAsult

im kinda interested in this game but idk if would enjoy it as much not because is the next 2 weeks a lot of games i have been waiting for come out. Max Payne, Ghost Recon, Resistance... i just dont think i would still play this game when those comes out.

Is this game that much fun online? convince me why i should buy it :) lol

AEREC

Because in the beta the bolded is what people complained about ad nauseum...

- Art design was nowhere close to as visual as Warhawk
- the game lacked bright colors in the 3-4 maps we had
- People hated motionblur
- people kept saying freamerate has below 30 FPS in most areas

Now I didn't agree with them on most cases, just throwing that out there.

The framearate was an issue in the beta...have they gotten it smoothed out for the retail release?

Effect

Wow. Played a little last night. Mostly the single player in order to get a handle on the building systems. Playing on normal but so far a decent challenge, at least for me anyway. The mission where you are on the space platforms was crazy. Flying, dropping down to the ground to repair or drop platforms to call in help and to get them into ships, drop turrets. Graphics looks pretty good and controls well. The story is what it is. It has some interesting elements that I think is wasted. It could have been a lot more if they cared for it more. It's not horrible however but does provide some context for the systems your using at least. I do appreciate that the lead character is black. That honestly peaked my interest from the start since it's rare.

The game is a shooter but the build aspects (thankfully and as much as I hoped it would from when I first saw the game) provides enough uniqueness that makes it very enjoyable and different from other shooters out there now. Was only able to jump into one multiplayer match before I realized how late it was last night and had to quickly get out. Still for the few minutes I was in it was fun. See red dots on the map only to realize they were behind me trying to sneak into our drop zone. Then rushing back and dropping a turret so they turned around to drop their own and to see two people start building walls as myself and another took out their turret and then went after their jeep. Was fun but that was at the edges of the fight. The map was pretty big. Hope I can get more time to play tonight. Need to see if my USB mic works on the PS3 as well.

PSN: NeoStar9X

The framearate was an issue in the beta...have they gotten it smoothed out for the retail release?

I've noticed framerate drops in the retail release.

I'm not entirely sold on this game like some of you are after a night of playing it. The nucleus that made Warhawk so great is still there but I'm not sure if the RTS build-a-building stuff is working out the way I hoped. It seems really chaotic and messy at times.

There is some real strategy to be found in this game but I think this is going to be one of those experiences you have to play with friends/clan to really appreciate. Playing with randoms is only going to highlight the chaotic nature and result in an unorganized mess.

When you go to build something there needs to be a number of how many of the same type of building are already built so you don't have people building multiples of the same structure.

It's a great concept but I'm not sure this is going to have much of a life beyond the hardcore.

Effect

I can see how this could be a problem without communication. However like other FPS (Battlefield BC2 and BF3 for example) if one is aware of their surroundings it should be possible to get things down well without things being completely chaotic and a mess. If you see someone building walls then help them finish or drop turrets on the walls. Just an example. Doubt it will work out all the time but do able. I get the feeling it could take a while before one gets used to the systems and when to and when not to do something like any other RTS.

I can see how this could be a problem without communication. However like other FPS (Battlefield BC2 and BF3 for example) if one is aware of their surroundings it should be possible to get things down well without things being completely chaotic and a mess. If you see someone building walls then help them finish or drop turrets on the walls. Just an example. Doubt it will work out all the time but do able. I get the feeling it could take a while before one gets used to the systems and when to and when not to do something like any other RTS.

That's how I've been playing it so far. Saw a tip above about building arms near walls to keep them up and I plan to do that in support tonight.

Just like Warhawk I find myself playing defensively more than offensively.

Effect

Interesting that that would help the wall but makes sense. I'm glad supply bunkers don't kill you when they go down though. Had one collapse around me in the single player.

KalBalboa

Banned
That's how I've been playing it so far. Saw a tip above about building arms near walls to keep them up and I plan to do that in support tonight.

Just like Warhawk I find myself playing defensively more than offensively.

Remember to build the arm close to whatever structure you're trying to protect (weapons cache, etc) and then build two or three walls around it, making sure to not block the arm from accessing whatever structure you were healing with it. You're basically using the extra walls to keep the arm sheltered and the arm in turn will keep those walls up.

Effect

All clan invites have been sent from those who asked!

Didn't ask before but could I get an invite. My PSN is NeoStar9X. Thanks.

I'm actually glad now that I got this instead of waiting for Dragon's Dogma. Still want that but I think I needed something like this to break up all the RPG games I've been playing (Xenoblade, Dragon Quest 9, Dungeon Siege 3). Also different enough that I'm not playing another CoD. I just hope the population holds for a few months.

Dead Man

You guys are making it hard to not buy this, but money is way too tight right now. Hope there is still a bit of a community when I get it.

Top Bottom