• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

KalBalboa

Banned
In case people in this thread don't know, Giant Bomb is playing Starhawk for TNT tonight, their community multiplayer thing. They could probably use a few people to play with when it kicks off in an hour and a half, their PSN name is "GiantBombing"... So far they've only gotten 4 PSN friend requests. Yup.

I just added them and had the invite reciprocated. Where can I find info on the Giant Bomb game tonight?

V_Ben

Banned
I just added them and had the invite reciprocated. Where can I find info on the Giant Bomb game tonight?

It'll be on giantbomb.com/live, or on the home page. Basically, if you're playing the game they'll invite you to a party. At least, that's how TNT works usually. I'd play. But, you know, it isn't out here until tomorrow :/

tusken77

In case people in this thread don't know, Giant Bomb is playing Starhawk for TNT tonight, their community multiplayer thing. They could probably use a few people to play with when it kicks off in an hour and a half, their PSN name is "GiantBombing"... So far they've only gotten 4 PSN friend requests. Yup.

Hopefully it'll make up for the poor Quick Look for Starhawk. They didn't enter any 32 player matches to really show off what the game can deliver. In fact, at one point Jeff was playing on a map 1v1 against someone. A whole empty map and him against...one guy.

Starhawk is going to take over, especially with nearly everyone who is playing the game rave about the multi player.

There will always be a dedicated Warhawk base, but my guess is most everyone will move on. I'd only buy Warhawk now if you can get it on the super cheap (< 10 dollars).

thanks for the reply,

yeah can currently pick up warhawk for £5 so is darn cheap haha,

basically didn't wanna buy and nobody be left, although i jsut probably just buy starhawk haha.

sod it, i'll watch today giantbomb tnt then decide.

thanks again

:D

Bollocks

bummer that there's no demo, didn't really like the beta but going by the review scores it seems that I'm missing out on a great game. I don't know what to do.

Just helped my team win zones in the final minute. Epic as fuck. Center zone on Dust was a back and for battle and was their's at the moment. Driving over to that base in a tank, I notice we have the exact same score. Exact. I get there, and blow up some dudes, park on the zone capture area (now that I figured it out) and JUST get killed as it changes to our zone. So now I'm frantically mashing X to spawn at center before they change it over and JUST do right as they changed it back. I get out, and drama knife 2 people within seconds, get killed myself, gameover. EPIC. No game will compete with this for a long time.

The Lamp

Does anyone know if DLC downloads still apply to all accounts on a PS3 or what?

Hate this stupid online pass shit. I'm having to suffer because other people bought games used. Now the other accounts on my ps3 can't play online :(

KalBalboa

Banned
Just played in the Giant Bomb room with some fellow Gaffers for about an hour. Tonight was my first big night of competitive multiplayer and I've got to say it was a blast- but man do you need people communicating.

We had one massive dogfight that was pretty crazy and mayhem filled, but the zones and team deathmatch games were really solid. I actually liked having a moderately-filled 10 on 10 TDM game because it gave the map some breathing room.

Effect

Nice playing with some GAF members. :) Communication is really need it seems but still fun. Though some modes are better then others. I would have thought Zones would have been fun but the wrong map makes that a pain to play. The one map that is all cliffs that is (looks like the asteroid from Armageddon) dark is horrible in general I think. One side gets a cliff that overlooks the entire other side of the map. Unless you have good pilots they can sit up there and stop the other side from advancing all together. Making one base area impossible to build as well since they can hit it from up there and the top of the bridge with ease.

mr stroke

Just played in the Giant Bomb room with some fellow Gaffers for about an hour. Tonight was my first big night of competitive multiplayer and I've got to say it was a blast- but man do you need people communicating.

We had one massive dogfight that was pretty crazy and mayhem filled, but the zones and team deathmatch games were really solid. I actually liked having a moderately-filled 10 on 10 TDM game because it gave the map some breathing room.

Thinking about grabbing this game because I loved the last Warhawk. How is the community with mics in this game? Lots of people using mics?

I remember the first one was pretty chatty at launch, lots of good communication on teams.

Trevelyan

Banned
Thinking about grabbing this game because I loved the last Warhawk. How is the community with mics in this game? Lots of people using mics?

I remember the first one was pretty chatty at launch, lots of good communication on teams.

I've only played a handful of random games, but honestly, it's refreshing to see all the people chatting. usually over 50% of the team I'm on will have mics and are actively talking.

KalBalboa

Banned

I think over half my team had mics, and everyone was playing in a teamwork-oriented way. Nobody was building duplicate structures, two and three guys would drive off in a razorback (jeep) at once, etc.

I went into the single player expecting a tacked on pile of rubbish. I've completed three missions so far and am having a blast. Granted the first two were basically tutorials to the game but it's really entertaining and I love the art style in the cut scenes.

yeah i fired it up for the first time late last night and figured i'd have a few rounds of the single player to refresh myself on the controls and changes since last time i played the beta. Ended up having so much fun I never got round to trying anything online.

Will put my hand up for the Gaf Clan also, psn is spazmat. from the sound of it i'll need to dig out my headset from wherever it's disappeared to.

Finished my first dogfight, wow, shit is intense!

Remember guys, send me a PSN message, Jrod87, stating that you want into the clan so I can send out invites. Be sure to include your GAF name in the body of the message so I can keep lurkers away.

Just realized how great the soundtrack is too. Very impressed with the game so far. I usually get bored of MP quicker than most but like with Warhawk I can see myself putting a lot of time into this.

Finished my first dogfight, wow, shit is intense!

Remember guys, send me a PSN message, Jrod87, stating that you want into the clan so I can send out invites. Be sure to include your GAF name in the body of the message so I can keep lurkers away.
Sent a request via psn. Hope to play with yall soon.
Haha I booted up my ps3 just to do that. I was on my way to bed until I saw the bolded.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm taking a break for half an hour to rest my eyes. I love how the clan function adds your clan members to your in-game friends list without the need to add them to your PSN list. It frees up slots and is a make-shift way to have Starhawk-only friends. Groovy.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I seem to do the best when I'm in an Ox or when I stay at the base and maintain the defenses. Otherwise, I'm terrible :lol

I love flying, but I'm no good at dogfights. Shit's intense.

Effect

Glad we can reclaim structures built by other people. Several times tonight I've found myself having to take down certain things in order to rebuild in different parts of a base depending on the situation. Building structures and just going isn't going to be a good idea. Also somewhat annoying to see beam turrets bunched together. Things really need to be spread out or a well placed bomb or shelling could take out the bases entire defense.

Bajan32

Hi guys! Can I get in the clan and play with you guys? Played in the beta and just picke this up. Really like it but not whole lotta time to play.

PSN: Bajan32

Huff

Banned
My PSN name is the same as gaf: BroHuffman

playing through the single player now. I'll try and join the clan later

Dragnet

Yess, just got my copy through! Anyone know how good Play.com are with sending pre order codes out? Still haven't received mine :/

Co-op is frustratingly difficult. Is it only balanced for more than 2 players or do me and my friend just suck really bad?

Once the Hawks show up it's over. There's at least 20 of the damn things and they only focus down the Rig unless you're in a Hawk yourself, in which case you've got over a dozen of the damn things constantly throwing missiles at you.

Glad we can reclaim structures built by other people. Several times tonight I've found myself having to take down certain things in order to rebuild in different parts of a base depending on the situation. Building structures and just going isn't going to be a good idea. Also somewhat annoying to see beam turrets bunched together. Things really need to be spread out or a well placed bomb or shelling could take out the bases entire defense.

Good tip regarding the beam turrets. I need to make notes before playing this game again.

The problem is, getting the rest of the squad to follow suit. If I stay back to correct their tactical mistakes I'm guaranteed to be playing defensively the entire game.

KalBalboa

Banned
Co-op is frustratingly difficult. Is it only balanced for more than 2 players or do me and my friend just suck really bad?

Once the Hawks show up it's over. There's at least 20 of the damn things and they only focus down the Rig unless you're in a Hawk yourself, in which case you've got over a dozen of the damn things constantly throwing missiles at you.

I haven't found it impossible yet. My friend and I did a two-player co-op session on Wednesday and managed to beat two of the cooperative missions with just us, and last night we did a bunch of four player rooms. It takes a lot of strategy and a little luck, though.

Top Bottom