• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Given the creep of this thread, this seems to be one of those games (was Warhawk one, too?) that will have a hardcore following and leave lilttle room for casuals. Me being one of the latter....

btkadams

Given the creep of this thread, this seems to be one of those games (was Warhawk one, too?) that will have a hardcore following and leave lilttle room for casuals. Me being one of the latter....

from my experience so far, it's really accessible. i don't think casuals will be turned away as much as with warhawk. warhawk had impossible-to-achieve trophies 5 months after its launch and the unlockables took forever. starhawk has a levelling and skill point system that seems really neat.

hi gaf,

just kinda wanted some advice on this starhawk bonanza. basically i don't wanna buy starhawk. the base building stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

however i have thought about maybe getting warhawk as it is so darn cheap these days.

is starhawk going to completely take all the warhawk players away or do you think warhawk will retain enough players for me to still be able to play it online.

KalBalboa

Banned

I keep singing it's praises: the cooperative mode is fast becoming my favorite part of the package. It's lower in stress and can ease you into the online world after you try out the campaign.

It's a great warm up to multiplayer, in my opinion, because it teaches you to rely on your teammates and how to communicate with them.

tusken77

I keep singing it's praises: the cooperative mode is fast becoming my favorite part of the package. It's lower in stress and can ease you into the online world after you try out the campaign.

It's a great warm up to multiplayer, in my opinion, because it teaches you to rely on your teammates and how to communicate with them.

I'm surprised you say the co-op is lower in stress. In the streams of co-op I've watched the enemies are pretty damn aggressive! :)

smr00

Banned
Looks really fun but im afraid i will buy it and in 5 days throw it on the shelf and never play it again once D3/MP3 comes out.

How accessible is it to a noob? never played warhawk.

Trevelyan

Banned
I'm surprised you say the co-op is lower in stress. In the streams of co-op I've watched the enemies are pretty damn aggressive! :)

I was going to say this too. The co-op is brutal as hell. Still incredibly engaging and exhilarating, but undeniably hard.

KalBalboa

Banned
I was going to say this too. The co-op is brutal as hell. Still incredibly engaging and exhilarating, but undeniably hard.

It's tough, but I guess I find it less taxing on me because I only have my friends and I when it comes to the human element of it. The waves of enemies come in a regular interval and confine your efforts to one area, which I think helps you master the game quicker than jumping into a 32 player match.

I went into the single player expecting a tacked on pile of rubbish. I've completed three missions so far and am having a blast. Granted the first two were basically tutorials to the game but it's really entertaining and I love the art style in the cut scenes.

george_us

I'm one of the three people who's playing this mostly for single-player and has little desire for the multi. I'm also enjoying the single-player immensely. Feels very fresh and inventive.

I understand that the campaign isn't the main focus of the game, but the AI is nothing short of embarrassing. I've found my teammates running into walls, stranded on a hill (somehow?), standing motionless while being fired upon, land their hawk into the acid sea, etc.

Embarrassing isn't normally a word I'd use to describe AI, but I don't think there's another word that does Starhawk's AI justice.

Fortunately, I've finished the campaign on Mercenary and never have to do it again. lol

DireStr8s

So, co-op difficulty must scale up the more people are playing. I've beaten the maps I've tried by myself. I got the no death trophy on the first one using only two beam turrets & my hawk.

KalBalboa

Banned
I went into the single player expecting a tacked on pile of rubbish. I've completed three missions so far and am having a blast. Granted the first two were basically tutorials to the game but it's really entertaining and I love the art style in the cut scenes.

Same here. I'm having a lot of flashbacks to StarFox when playing the dogfight missions. The campaign is thankfully straight forward and entertaining.

KalBalboa

Banned
So, co-op difficulty must scale up the more people are playing. I've beaten the maps I've tried by myself. I got the no death trophy on the first one using only two beam turrets & my hawk.

Which map was that? I might go for that trophy tonight. Also, I'm always up for online cooperative if you are.

Played MP last night. Was the most fun I've had online with the PS3, I believe that this will creep beyond Warhawk to become the definitive PS3 MP experience for me.

The voice-chat seemed like it would cut-out about halfway every match. Anybody else seeing this? Once this baby is patched and they start releasing the free map-pack: juggernaut.

When do I get my glow-y founder's hand and paint jobs from the beta - anybody know?

DireStr8s

Which map was that? I might go for that trophy tonight. Also, I'm always up for online cooperative if you are.

Its the 1st map on the list. & yeah, i'd be down anytime for co-op. PSN is DireStr8s. I'll be honest: I don't think too well on my feet so if you're willing to bear the brunt of the strategy aspect we'll probably be better off, lol.

tusken77

Played MP last night. Was the most fun I've had online with the PS3, I believe that this will creep beyond Warhawk to become the definitive PS3 MP experience for me.

The voice-chat seemed like it would cut-out about halfway every match. Anybody else seeing this? Once this baby is patched and they start releasing the free map-pack: juggernaut.

When do I get my glow-y founder's hand and paint jobs from the beta - anybody know?

To be distributed "as soon as they can" via PSN message.

https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/200018805739618304

Killer

Banned
I liked red faction guerilla multiplayer and I kind see some resemblance in this game especially when it comes to destruction. Never played warhawk. Do u guys recommend it?

The Lamp

I've only been playing single player so far and I'm in love with this game. As an avid Warhawk player, this game is a fresh of breath air with all the new improvements and changes, in my opinion. I also really appreciate the single player because it's the first time I've been properly explained and slowly exposed to Hawk gameplay. I was never good at Hawks in WH because I'd just get shot down after 5 seconds lol, or panic and boost into a mountain and explode my aircraft. I like how they made the hawks less vulnerable to suicide...haha.

I liked red faction guerilla multiplayer and I kind see some resemblance in this game especially when it comes to destruction. Never played warhawk. Do u guys recommend it?
There is no destruction on the level of red faction or Starhawk, but it has the excellent troop/vehicle/flight combat at the core of sh's gameplay (minus the over the shoulder aiming). I definitely recommend it.

tusken77

Just got my copy. The cover has a printing issue:

2012-05-08%25252012.30.01.jpg

Looks like I'll be using the default cover.

Anyone in the UK have their copy yet? If so, does it have a reversible cover/the same printing mistake?

KalBalboa

Banned
A minor change that could go a long way: add a compass or north point on the radar.

It's a bit tough to coordinate plans without a cardinal direction to orient with. Also, maybe an option to cease the radar from rotating?

This game really reminds me of the multi-player in Red Faction: Guerilla. Probably my favorite MP of this gen but sadly it died rather quickly. Going to put a TON of time into this.

Dude, forget about which side is correct. The alternate cover's rear is upside down. It's a printing mistake.

THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE!
Either flap of the inside cover is meant to be interchangable. The right side art is one cover, the left side with the segments is another cover.

Got it, everyone?

Nightz

THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE!
Either flap of the inside cover is meant to be interchangable. The right side art is one cover, the left side with the segments is another cover.

Got it, everyone?

We understand that. It still looks stupid though, especially if you turn it over to look at the back.

tusken77

THIS IS NOT A MISTAKE!

Got it, everyone?

People, it's not difficult to understand. It's a printing mistake. Starhawk's alternate rear cover is upside down. I love reversible covers, Resistance 3's is sweet. Speaking of Resistance 3, look, I'll use it as an example to show you how it's meant to be...

resistance-3-2011-russian-pal-playstation-3-back-cover-12029.jpg

See?

People, it's not difficult to understand. It's a printing mistake. Starhawk's alternate rear cover is upside down. I love reversible covers, Resistance 3's is sweet. Speaking of Resistance 3, look, I'll use it as an example to show you how it's meant to be...

resistance-3-2011-russian-pal-playstation-3-back-cover-12029.jpg

See?
That's the same art at different perspectives. Now if the back had a different piece of art that rivaled the front, it wouldn't be able to be used had you prefered it because if you swapped it for the front, it'd be upside down. Starhawk gives you 2 unique pieces of art to use as a front cover. There is no back cover.

Mrbob

hi gaf,

just kinda wanted some advice on this starhawk bonanza. basically i don't wanna buy starhawk. the base building stuff really doesn't appeal to me.

however i have thought about maybe getting warhawk as it is so darn cheap these days.

is starhawk going to completely take all the warhawk players away or do you think warhawk will retain enough players for me to still be able to play it online.

Starhawk is going to take over, especially with nearly everyone who is playing the game rave about the multi player.

There will always be a dedicated Warhawk base, but my guess is most everyone will move on. I'd only buy Warhawk now if you can get it on the super cheap (< 10 dollars).

tusken77

That's the same art at different perspectives. Now of the back had a different piece of art that rivaled the front, it wouldn't be able to be used had you prefered it because if you swapped it for the front, it'd be upside down. Starhawk gives you 2 unique pieces of art to use as a front cover. There is no back cover.

Sorry, Moon. You're wrong. I don't see how it's difficult to comprehend. Anyway, the guy in Spain has said his copy has the correct alternate cover, so here's hoping the UK is the same.

V_Ben

Banned
In case people in this thread don't know, Giant Bomb is playing Starhawk for TNT tonight, their community multiplayer thing. They could probably use a few people to play with when it kicks off in an hour and a half, their PSN name is "GiantBombing"... So far they've only gotten 4 PSN friend requests. Yup.

Sorry, Moon. You're wrong. I don't see how it's difficult to comprehend. Anyway, the guy in Spain has said his copy has the correct alternate cover, so here's hoping the UK is the same.
Well I'm glad its reversible for me because I hate when I see inside art that can make a great alt cover but the main pic ends up on the back.

tusken77

Well I'm glad its reversible for me because I hate when I see inside art that can make a great alt cover but the main pic ends up on the back.

I'm glad it's reversible too. I'll be using the alternate cover because I love removing the usual clutter off and having the art clean. :) I'm just hoping the UK version doesn't have the same printing mistake as the NA one.

And if you don't believe me about it being an error, maybe you'll believe Dylan?

https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/199907420766609408

I'm glad it's reversible too. I'll be using the alternate cover because I love removing the usual clutter off and having the art clean. :) I'm just hoping the UK version doesn't have the same printing mistake as the NA one.

And if you don't believe me about it being an error, maybe you'll believe Dylan?

https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/199907420766609408
Well I'm saying I'm glad I can reverse it for times when I feel like using the back as the front. It's perfect for me.

Top Bottom