• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

fixuis

Warhawk vet here! Already in the war hawk gaf clan..anybody seen the old guys around? sea manky?

Add me to the starhawk gaf clan please.

Psn : Fixuis

Bollocks

Just bought it, even though I didn't like the beta.
I'll trust Sony on this one, don't pull a LA NOIRE on me
Now have to wait 90m to download the 500mb update ._.

WX3

Just picked the game up last night! Id like to be added to clan GAF! My psn is: SSinisterSS

Thanks!

KalBalboa

Banned
Co-op is frustratingly difficult. Is it only balanced for more than 2 players or do me and my friend just suck really bad?

Once the Hawks show up it's over. There's at least 20 of the damn things and they only focus down the Rig unless you're in a Hawk yourself, in which case you've got over a dozen of the damn things constantly throwing missiles at you.

Your best bet then is to have at least two beam turrets or flack cannons, one man on the ground with a missile launcher, and another in the sky acting as a decoy. Taking on more than six hawks at once in a dogfight is suicide, but if you fly defensively and only shoot air-to-air when the perfect opportunity arises you'll buy time for the ground troops and probably thin the hawks out yourself.

Shadybiz

I just picked it up yesterday, and will get a chance to play this weekend. Casual Warhawk vet here.

Please add me to the GAF clan; PSN name is Shadybiz. Thanks!

Effect

I really question the design of having so many enemies in co-op. You are already limited in rift energy from the start. The more people you have the more it gets spread around as well. You are constantly building or rebuilding turrets and maybe a supply bunker if it gets taken out. Dropping the number of enemies they do at once is kinda crazy. The difficulty jumpped last night when the group I was in went from three people to 4. The significant increase in head shots I was dying from was eye opening. I think you need to make a choice early on if you are going to go for static defenses or prepare for the hawks. I don't think you'll have enough energy to switch to hawks when they show up. Unless maybe you are up against the reactor and killing things from there and hope with luck you get enough energy while the others take on more enemies.

KalBalboa

Banned
You can do it man, it just takes some strategy.

Have you built repair arms near your rift extractor? Also, before you start the game by dropping the extractor, do you look around for all the free rift that generates in between rounds?

You can do it man, it just takes some strategy.

Have you built repair arms near your rift extractor? Also, before you start the game by dropping the extractor, do you look around for all the free rift that generates in between rounds?
Arms repair the rig??

My buddy and I had a hard time as well.

Effect

Arms repair the rig??

My buddy and I had a hard time as well.

Yeah. Placing them near buildings will keep them repaired when damaged. They can only repair so quickly though. This does me wonder though. Wasn't really paying attention to this last night. Are the repair arms using rift energy? Meaning it's not being pushed out to players when they are nearby until it's doing repairing what it's repairing?

Sort of how SCVs in Starcarft will use minerals to repair buildings and units.

Started playing MP properly for the first time today and I'm hooked! Still getting to grips with things again (played a hell of a lot of Warhawk back in the day) but if anyone wants to add me go ahead: johnny84. Just say your from GAF on the friend request :)

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah. Placing them near buildings will keep them repaired when damaged. They can only repair so quickly though. This does me wonder though. Wasn't really paying attention to this last night. Are the repair arms using rift energy? Meaning it's not being pushed out to players when they are nearby until it's doing repairing what it's repairing?

Sort of how SCVs in Starcarft will use minerals to repair buildings and units.

Nope, they run on good will, apparently.

One more tip: if possible, use walls to funnel ground troops into a meat grinder. It's easy to take out four or five foot soldiers if you force them into a small area, thanks to grenades.

jayb

did they make any changes in the final release to help deter base campers? That was my primary gripe in the beta playing CTF. Hardly anyone would leave the base to create forward spawn points!

It was almost rage inducing on that large Dust map to spawn and see a 100 turrets and other structures all at your base, and then a vast field of nothingness between your base and the enemies.

did they make any changes in the final release to help deter base campers? That was my primary gripe in the beta playing CTF. Hardly anyone would leave the base to create forward spawn points!

It was almost rage inducing on that large Dust map to spawn and see a 100 turrets and other structures all at your base, and then then vast field of nothingness between your base and the enemies.

I imagine that's how a TDM match is going to play out for the most part. You need to defend the flag so most people are going to naturally place their defenses around the flag. Once you've built walls, turrets, arms and offensive platforms you're left with little else for the rest of the map.

I think a few well placed turrets around the course would be smart strategy though. I'm not sure if the developers can guide people into doing that though.

jayb

I imagine that's how a TDM match is going to play out for the most part. You need to defend the flag so most people are going to naturally place their defenses around the flag. Once you've built walls, turrets, arms and offensive platforms you're left with little else for the rest of the map.

I think a few well placed turrets around the course would be smart strategy though. I'm not sure if the developers can guide people into doing that though.

well they need to figure it out. because what's the point in having a giant map, if 95% of the fighting is done at the extreme ends of the map?

Maybe after a certain number of structures are built at the base, they could make you stop earning rift. Then people would be forced to go find rift in the middle of the map, which would make players more likely to build forward spawns near those other rift spots.

KalBalboa

Banned
I, personally, spend most of my time in CTF building satellite bases.

If you're sick of sticking around your home base and want to spread the fight out, hop on a bike, get some rift, and build a spawn point somewhere.

Effect

Some of the maps are indeed to big. Though I wonder if some of the issues could be solved by the limits you place on the games setup. You can determine what buildings can be used correct?

Maybe they can set a limit to how many objects and buildings can be placed within range of a single extractor instead of just having a limited for the entire map. That could force people to build supply bunkers in various areas as small outpost away from the main base.

I, personally, spend most of my time in CTF building satellite bases.

If you're sick of sticking around your home base and want to spread the fight out, hop on a bike, get some rift, and build a spawn point somewhere.

I was toying with that on Wednesday night but kept getting killed before I could get anything going. I'll give it another shot tonight.

10dollas

Banned
So glad I picked this up. This game is so refreshing.

Oh and it seems Cloaking+Flak is the final word in dogfighting. Flak is so overpowered!

So glad I picked this up. This game is so refreshing.

Oh and it seems Cloaking+Flak is the final word in dogfighting. Flak is so overpowered!

Yeah, noticed I was getting knocked out of the air with flak more often than not. I need to relearn my dog fighting skills.

KalBalboa

Banned
Sixaxis in Warhawk (for the freaks like me who used it) solved any confusion with inversion. The Dual Shock was basically a digital puppet of the plane.

KalBalboa

Banned
I was no better with Sixaxis. They've nailed the controls in this game.

They really did. I also think the trade off to sacrifice hovering for the mech mode was a genius move to empower the player while cutting down on the griefing a hovering pilot could cause.

This is crazy. Someone is having trouble connecting to games so Dylan Jobe is going to send them a new router to test out and see if it works. That's some pretty awesome customer service right there.

https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/200992350196080640

I wonder if I should let him know about the game crashing disconnects I had on Wednesday night. A couple of times the PS3 completely crashed on me and I had to go through file rebuild PS3 utility. :/

Effect

Well damn. :) Stuff like this, along with my enjoyment of Starhawk at the moment, is likely to make me be onboard with the next game Lightbox does unseen.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I wonder if I should let him know about the game crashing disconnects I had on Wednesday night. A couple of times the PS3 completely crashed on me and I had to go through file rebuild PS3 utility. :/

And here I was thinking I was the only one who had the game crashing disconnects. It doesn't happen very often, thankfully.

If I pull up the XMB in the middle of a single player game and quit.....my PS3 reboots....it's weird. Only does this on Starhawk.

OSHAN

Mercenary difficulty is driving me crazy so far, and not in a good way. Yeah, the highest difficulty setting is supposed to be hard, but I don't like how this game handles checkpoints.

They're 10 chapters, and each chapter has a varying amount of checkpoints, depending on what's being asked of you as a player; however, it's either the last checkpoint or back to the beginning of the chapter. It may not seem like a big deal, but when the object is to defend a rig and you survive the intital waves, game checkpoints, but the rig is a few hits from desctruction, it is virtually impossible to survive the final wave, because each time you die, you're brought back to the checkpoint with the rig on the verge of exploding.

It's frustrating, because this can happen near the end of a chapter, and if you find yourself in an impossible situation, you have to start at the very beginning. There's no interim saves, either. If you're mid chapter and have to stop playing, when you start again you're back to the beginning of the chapter.

Please note this is an issue for Mercenary mode only; the game isn't terribly difficult even on this setting, but it's certainly a challenge. It just puts you in a poor position to succeed at times. If you're playing on Normal or Hard, I dont' see this being a problem at all, especially normal, since it is supposedly cake.

So, since single-player was pissing me off, I played my first multiplayer matches. Started with TDM. And, surprisingly, the game is more like Warhawk than I imagined. Granted, this was TDM, not Zones or CTF where people are utilizing the building in a more defensive minded way. Overall, people were just building shit because they wanted to fly a Hawk and that's all there is to it. You just have to get yourself in the mindset that if you want a sniper rifle, it's going to cost you 3 building points (which regenerate). Build it, sniper rifle. So, I was pleased with this, because I really enjoyed Warhawk.

Anyway, didnt' get much time to play because of the Celtics, but I'll be on more this weekend.

Deez

Neo Member
well they need to figure it out. because what's the point in having a giant map, if 95% of the fighting is done at the extreme ends of the map?

Maybe after a certain number of structures are built at the base, they could make you stop earning rift. Then people would be forced to go find rift in the middle of the map, which would make players more likely to build forward spawns near those other rift spots.

I never played the Beta and I've soley played CTF so far and this has been my experience so far. The infantry/gunplay is rarely used b/c of how far each base is from eachother.

Traversing a big map with reapers of death flying above is pretty daunting. When you finally get to the enemy base, chances are that you'll die b/c it will be heavily defended.

Rinse and repeat.

KalBalboa

Banned
I never played the Beta and I've soley played CTF so far and this has been my experience so far. The infantry/gunplay is rarely used b/c of how far each base is from eachother.

Traversing a big map with reapers of death flying above is pretty daunting. When you finally get to the enemy base, chances are that you'll die b/c it will be heavily defended.

Rinse and repeat.

Just build a satellite base then. Throw up a spawn point, add some defenses and maybe a weapons cache, and you can now spawn wherever you choose with an arsenal. That's how I play, anyway.

JABEE

Does anyone know when they'll be sending out the Beta and Warhawk Veteran downloads? Also, what happened to the free month of Playstation Plus?

Top Bottom