• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Deez

Neo Member
Just build a satellite base then. Throw up a spawn point, add some defenses and maybe a weapons cache, and you can now spawn wherever you choose with an arsenal. That's how I play, anyway.

Again I'm a total noob but I've never been able to make an outpost last long enough before a Hawk obliterates it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Again I'm a total noob but I've never been able to make an outpost last long enough before a Hawk obliterates it.

Try keeping a rocket launcher on you for whenever a hawk starts closing in. They only take two shots or so, and if they're in mech form you can always grenade them.

Also, it really helps to have a team mate helping you when building a base. One of you should drop the spawn point and the other a laser canon. The spawn point will give you rift and you can turn that into more weapons, defenses, etc.

Deez

Neo Member
Try keeping a rocket launcher on you for whenever a hawk starts closing in. They only take two shots or so, and if they're in mech form you can always grenade them.

Also, it really helps to have a team mate helping you when building a base. One of you should drop the spawn point and the other a laser canon. The spawn point will give you rift and you can turn that into more weapons, defenses, etc.

Is there some secret to shooting down Hawks with the Rocket Launcher? Last night, I was on top of a bunker getting full lock-ons and those Hawks must've been Maverick and Goose b/c they were impossible to shoot down. I kept getting infinite ammo from the bunker and I seriously fired about 20 or so at one dude to no avail.

Effect

Find the rockets are better against the AI then real players. Though it helps to have someone chasing them in a hawk. They are more concerned with them that they don't dodge the ground to air rockets. The beam turrets seem to work better against air I think. Harder for them to dodge if they can at all. Using the rocket against air is the last thing on my list at the moment. Better against tanks, hawks on the ground and buildings. Air to air or beam to air works out better I think.

ChuckNyce

Enjoying the game quite a bit but I've got a dumb question - I always got the impression that the amount of Rift energy displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen was the team's shareable pool of it, and therefore I always felt a little weary about dropping structures. After reading this thread and thinking about it though, I'm curious - is this your personal pool of energy or does it belong to the whole team?

OSHAN

Enjoying the game quite a bit but I've got a dumb question - I always got the impression that the amount of Rift energy displayed in the top right hand corner of the screen was the team's shareable pool of it, and therefore I always felt a little weary about dropping structures. After reading this thread and thinking about it though, I'm curious - is this your personal pool of energy or does it belong to the whole team?

Personal. Get building!

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah, I work with GS. An email was sent out that the PS+ codes were not printing on release.

Awesome- thanks for the heads-up. Can I do it over the phone or should I just make a drive over?

Is there some secret to shooting down Hawks with the Rocket Launcher? Last night, I was on top of a bunker getting full lock-ons and those Hawks must've been Maverick and Goose b/c they were impossible to shoot down. I kept getting infinite ammo from the bunker and I seriously fired about 20 or so at one dude to no avail.

It can be tricky, depending on how good the pilot is, but if you have good timing or even a second person firing at a hawk that's flying top speed you should be able to connect a missile or two.

The best time, for me, to fire on a hawk is whenever they're coming straight at you or when they're trying to make a missile lock- it's when they're least likely to turn.

Dragnet

This game is the shit! Surprised nobodies mentioned the framerate yet though, great most of them time, but turns to absolute dog shit when it gets hectic which is a shame. Just found out SCEE have put the items up for people who played the beta on the store too, go get 'em!

Also, good job on the reversable cover. Means I don't have to look at that massive PSN sticker!

KalBalboa

Banned
This game is the shit! Surprised nobodies mentioned the framerate yet though, great most of them time, but turns to absolute dog shit when it gets hectic which is a shame. Just found out SCEE have put the items up for people who played the beta on the store too, go get 'em!

Also, good job on the reversable cover. Means I don't have to look at that massive PSN sticker!

I've only had it slow down in split-screen online MP. Otherwise it's really smooth for me (Slim Ps3 with a 7200 RPM drive put in).

GodofWine

Am I correct in seeing only 20 active games, with about 200 people playing? Leaderboard has 1000s of people...2000000 kills in 2days...I feel like I'm not seeing everything (yes I unhid full games...there were two)

Seems odd, hell there is probably more.than that on WH

Am I correct in seeing only 20 active games, with about 200 people playing? Leaderboard has 1000s of people...2000000 kills in 2days...I feel like I'm not seeing everything (yes I unhid full games...there were two)

it filters by default to not show games that are full. you can unfilter it to see all games if you want

Dragnet

I've only had it slow down in split-screen online MP. Otherwise it's really smooth for me (Slim Ps3 with a 7200 RPM drive put in).

I'm running the same setup as you. It was a shame it happened on my first game I played, kinda soured me a bit. Warhawk was so smooth as well. The framerate's fine most of the time, but it's very noticeable at the start of a new game when things are quiet right after the end of a hectic game.

Loudninja

About Matchmaking in co-op maps
Hi @Cubninja! We're going to be evaluating that here in the studio once we get through #Starhawk's global launch.
https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/201050765756858370

About the server list bug
Hi @Malazak! There's a known server-list bug that we're working on. Until we fix it try using different filter types to see more games.
https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/201059956525514752

The Lamp

Finally got into multiplayer. It is so amazing. Just as hectic as I remember Warhawk but with more to do. Can never score a good Zones game with competent players, though :l

edgefusion

I'll be picking this up tomorrow morning so if someone could give me an add to the Gaf clan it would be much appreciated. I plan on jumping into the multiplayer immediately, it would be great to play with organised folk. My PSN ID is edgefusion, ta!

Dragnet

Is nobody else at all bothered by the constant mid 20s framerate? I think it's kind of unacceptable for a multiplayer focused game..

cnizzle06

Banned
Just picked up the game at Best Buy. Despite not being a huge fan of the art direction, atleast from the previews I've seen, I feel compelled to support this developer. Would love to play with some Gaffers.

PSN: cnizzle06

Dragnet

Mid 20s??? I've been playing matches with 32 players and my fps is locked in the 30s

You people can't tell a bad framerate, or my PS3/game is fucked then. When there are 32 players actively fighting, there is NO WAY this game is even touching 30fps.

ChuckNyce

Yeah I've definitely noticed the framerate dips when things get hectic. You can even see it degrade gradually as the match advances and the map gets more and more congested.

Dragnet

Yeah I've definitely noticed the framerate dips when things get hectic. You can even see it degrade gradually as the match advances and the map gets more and more congested.

That's what I'm getting at. I feel like an inconsistent framerate is worse than a solidly bad framerate, and Starhawk's is very inconsistent. The framerate in these situations affects the controls too, makes it more difficult to aim and such. I love the game, I just wish this had been ironed out. Warhawk was so polished, and this is so close :(

skynidas

Banned
I only notice the frame rate thing when playing on 32 player matches on small maps, when in larger maps or with less players the frame rate is good.

skynidas

Banned
lol the Sweet Tooth skin is not compatible with my version (european). So, the first person to quote me gets it. Props to SuperSonic1305
edit: sent to cnizzle06

Raoh

tumblr_lqoomjhFKz1qfv1q9o1_500.gif

LMFAO

Afrikan

Has there been a tv commercial for this game?

It seems like Sony is carefull with certain exclusives, regarding their budgets (mainly marketing)....and if it affects sales, then so be it. I'm guessing what ever $$$ that didn't get spent for tv commercials went into the game's development....or I at least hope so.

Its like Sony is saying, these are nitch titles...we'll give them to their core base, but spend as little as possible to be able to make it happen......and rely on word of mouth from there.

Raoh

Has there been a tv commercial for this game?

It seems like Sony is carefull with certain exclusives, regarding their budgets (mainly marketing)....and if it affects sales, then so be it. I'm guessing what ever $$$ that didn't get spent for tv commercials went into the game's development....or I at least hope so.

Its like Sony is saying, these are nitch titles...we'll give them to their core base, but spend as little as possible to be able to make it happen......and rely on word of mouth from there.

I really don't watch tv except for the morning news but GoW and Starhawk are constantly shown on hulu.

Starhawk comes up a lot on websites ads like neogaf.

Top Bottom