• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starhawk |OT| Not Quite Warhawk, Yet Not Quite Like Anything Else

Deez

Neo Member
Played a few more hours last night. The game is pretty cool but infantry/gunplay is really weak. If you are not in a vehicle aka Tank or Hawk, you're dog meat pal.

So anyone else think the dropships seen in the campaign will become dlc? Mobile spawn points with the ability to rain destruction. A2G, not A2A. Requires air support to remain effective.

tusken77

Hey, can someone explain to me why people keep holding on to enemy flags? Every time I play CTF someone on my team grabs it then camps in the bunker.

As I understand it (haven't got the game yet, but watched a ton of Starhawk streams), you can't register a score with the enemy flag unless your own flag is planted in its original place in your base. So those guys on your team holding the enemy flag in the bunker are protecting themselves, waiting for your dropped flag to spawn back into your base so they can then score with the captured enemy flag.

As I understand it (haven't got the game yet, but watched a ton of Starhawk streams), you can't register a score with the enemy flag unless your own flag is planted in its original place in your base. So those guys on your team holding the enemy flag in the bunker are protecting themselves, waiting for your dropped flag to spawn back into your base so they can then score with the captured enemy flag.

Correct.

Zoibie

I'm still not used to the missile scrubbing in hawks. I can't decide which is more effective, right stick or x and left stick - neither seem to be very reliable. I was great at evading it Warhawk but I just can't seem to pin it down in Starhawk.

Dragnet

Just finished the story, pretty fun! It's a good ride. I really liked the pacing, the game never really let's up and you're always moving from one thing to the next. The seamless cutscenes really helped this too. It's got a few issues (like when a billion enemies are all shooting you at once and the screen getting so effected you can't do shit about it) but overall it's really solid and pretty polished. Good job LightBox!

Nightz

Just finished the story, pretty fun! It's a good ride. I really liked the pacing, the game never really let's up and you're always moving from one thing to the next. The seamless cutscenes really helped this too. It's got a few issues (like when a billion enemies are all shooting you at once and the screen getting so effected you can't do shit about it) but overall it's really solid and pretty polished. Good job LightBox!

How long did it take you to complete the campaign?

So after purchasing Starhawk yesterday and playing a few rounds, I can see they have chosen to follow in the formula of every other PS3 exclusive mutiplayer game...

Being absolutely terrible and sucking the fun out it.

I'll just add to the pile next to KZ3 and R3 as a clear example of developers taking a formula that works and only needs a few tweaks and deciding to change it and make it horrible.

Such a waste a money and feels and looks nothing like Warhawk to me (is the player camera different, I feel like its up my guys ass...to close!). I cant for the life of me fly like I used too, the gun comabt is useless, and for some reason I just havent had those good moments were yoru rushing bases 10+ deep...now it just seems liek 1 team swarms the other and then its a full out attack on a main base.

Dragnet

So after purchasing Starhawk yesterday and playing a few rounds, I can see they have chosen to follow in the formula of every other PS3 exclusive mutiplayer game...

Being absolutely terrible and sucking the fun out it.

I'll just add to the pile next to KZ3 and R3 as a clear example of developers taking a formula that works and only needs a few tweaks and deciding to change it and make it horrible.

Such a waste a money and feels and looks nothing like Warhawk to me (is the player camera different, I feel like its up my guys ass...to close!). I cant for the life of me fly like I used too, the gun comabt is useless, and for some reason I just havent had those good moments were yoru rushing bases 10+ deep...now it just seems liek 1 team swarms the other and then its a full out attack on a main base.

Give it time, jesus. It's a sequel, an iteration. I can't think of anything in this game that's worse than Warhawk. Only thing I miss is hovering. Being a mech makes up for that.

Give it time, jesus. It's a sequel, an iteration. I can't think of anything in this game that's worse than Warhawk. Only thing I miss is hovering. Being a mech makes up for that.

Naw, Im trading it in.

Played enought to know the game wont have the longevity or the community that Warhawk did. They cluster fucked it up, and threw to much shit at the wall to see what stuck without figuring in balance or fun.

They could have saved millions and reduced the development time in half if they were smart and used the same formula and tweaked and updated it.

Naw, Im trading it in.

Played enought to know the game wont have the longevity or the community that Warhawk did. They cluster fucked it up, and threw to much shit at the wall to see what stuck without figuring in balance or fun.

They could have saved millions and reduced the development time in half if they were smart and used the same formula and tweaked and updated it.

the game isn't for everyone, just like every game of all time. luckily for you there are still plenty of people playing warhawk and it is still an enjoyable game as well

Loudninja

Naw, Im trading it in.

You cant make silly predictions like that because you didn't enjoyed it lol.

I played the beta and sort of liked it, hoping the final product would be better. I have to say I am disappointed. I played the heck out of Warhawk, and Starhawk just doesn't have the same kind of feel to it. It feels like a generic shooter mixed with a pseudo RTS.

I kinda hate the hawks. I feel like I could obliterate a Starhawk with a Warhawk.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont really see how KZ3 is much different than KZ2 in terms of mechanics. Both games have the Warzone mode, which pretty much defined KZ2. The only difference is the maps (obviously) and the controls have been tweaked. The changes from R2 to R3 was however pretty big, going from 60 players to 16 players.

The Lamp

Naw, Im trading it in.

I think it's better than Warhawk in almost every way, especially the air combat, which is more accessible. I guess our opinions cancel each other out. Lol.

dwin45

I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far. Feel free to add me on PSN (name is the same as my username here).

Does anyone know if torpedoes get blocked by the shield generator? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use torpedoes effectively.

Zareth

I'm having a lot of fun with the game so far. Feel free to add me on PSN (name is the same as my username here).

Does anyone know if torpedoes get blocked by the shield generator? I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use torpedoes effectively.

From the games I have played torpedo's seem to go through shields no problem.

You cant make silly predictions like that because you didn't enjoyed it lol.

I agree..maybe I'm just being a little over emotional.

Its just I feel like I'm stuck in this cycle as a fan of Sony shooters when everytime I anticipate a sequel from a game I loved they almost like make a new game and I dont lile it.

Resistance did it 3 times in a row. Had a great SP in R1, had a shit MP in R2 but amazing co-op, then in R3 it dumped the amazing co-op but stayed with the shit MP.

Killzone did it too to me. Sure it had minor issues like rocket spam and base raping and of course the noted control issues everyone had (not me! lol), but beside the balance issues and control issues they too decided to dump 90% of the game and almost strat from scratch. From the looks, the CoD speedy controls, too the new class system...KZ3 was another clear example of starting almost from scratch when all you needed was some polish.

I'll try to give Starhawk some more time...but in the 10 rounds or so Ive played so far its been anything but fun. More then anything its been base rape or getting blown up from every angle while I waste my time using my machine gun.
And for the life of me..I just cant get the flying down.
To me I eithier have to fly like a slug or eractic. Something is missing from how the WH had speed/stability.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I played the beta and sort of liked it, hoping the final product would be better. I have to say I am disappointed. I played the heck out of Warhawk, and Starhawk just doesn't have the same kind of feel to it. It feels like a generic shooter mixed with a pseudo RTS.

I kinda hate the hawks. I feel like I could obliterate a Starhawk with a Warhawk.
Thing is, I can only think of a handful of action strategy hybrids, and Starhawk is the best one on the consoles almost by default.

pixelbox

PKM, this game is no longer the"WARHAWK SHOW". In my playthrough the game is very well balanced. There's so many options to choose from in terms of playstyle. Part of you frustration is stemming from bad coordination. The other is Starhawk pickups. You should build shit to protect you in air and sneak through the level finding shelds and heavy missiles. Then practice and explore other styles. Take the ass beating until you learn what's going wrong. It's still difficult for me but I am getting a alot better.

Loudninja

This game is taking a lot longer to click than warhawk did. Are there any standout maps/modes?
People say Zones is awesome.

Our team is already hard at work on our first FREE #Starhawk map pack - the lush planet of Cypress! http://twitpic.com/9k9mhg
http://twitpic.com/9k9mhg

@patrickpeiki We've been tracking some weapon updates that we'll be pushing to all of you soon! Wanted to get through launch first ;-)
https://twitter.com/#!/DylanJobe/status/201372178875289600

This game is taking a lot longer to click than warhawk did. Are there any standout maps/modes?

People say Zones is awesome.

Yes. Zones is the standout competitive mode because it utilizes all of Starhawk's components perfectly. What use is build and battle if you've got nothing but home base to protect? Zones mode gives players incentive to leave home base AND gives meaning to staying behind and defending it. It's the absolute perfect mode for this style of gameplay. Hell, it even ties in with the lore with the whole extracting/defending rift energy. It's the mode I've always wanted. Perfect.

Edit: One issue/bug I've experienced a couple times is being unable to press X to pod spawn. I'm within my team's area with a target lined up to smash and the game just refuses to acknowledge my button presses (since I mash it when it doesn't work immediately). Can't be my controller since it works fine elsewhere.

test_account

XP-39C²
I saw some mention of server bug earlier. Is this the bug that wont fill up the games? The last ~5 games i've played online there have only been like 3-4 people on each team.

Killzone did it too to me. Sure it had minor issues like rocket spam and base raping and of course the noted control issues everyone had (not me! lol), but beside the balance issues and control issues they too decided to dump 90% of the game and almost strat from scratch. From the looks, the CoD speedy controls, too the new class system...KZ3 was another clear example of starting almost from scratch when all you needed was some polish.
The only major difference between KZ2 and KZ3 is the class system. But i dont think that this counts for 90% of the game. The controls are one of the things that got tweaked/polished (for the better or worse, but that is a personal preference). The graphic style is also very similar between KZ2 and KZ3.

So when can we expect a clan-wide meet up? Tomorrow being mother's day won't benefit me but any other day, if a time and date are planned ahead of time, I can absolutely make sure I'm there (work hours and emergencies notwithstanding).

Card Boy

Banned
Naw, Im trading it in.

I think the base building aspect is the biggest kick in the nuts for those of us that enjoyed Warhawk.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks for clearing it up.

I think the base building aspect is the biggest kick in the nuts for those of us that enjoyed Warhawk.
While I may have related to you in the past, I don't now. I realized what I was getting into and I view it as having two awesome games in a similar style. Because Warhawk isn't dead to me, but a samey sequel would have killed it.

jiggles

Banned
Oh, man. It was finally clicking. I was running some godlike flag defence just now, seeing off challenger after challenger, and watching the enemy slowly start to work together to try and get past my defensive gauntlet. I was top player of the winning team. Only 5 minutes to go. I was finally going to actually rank up.

And then I got disconnected, losing everything.

See you in a few days, Starhawk.

Effect

When a good match is going this game is really fun but to many matches are resulting in people staying in a base. The most fun I've had are the Zone maps where you are constantly trying to take and defend the center objective. Would like more maps with multiple points. Team Deathmatch and CTF can be very iffy at times. The wrong map with hawks just makes a match one sided and just very boring.

Played a few more hours last night. The game is pretty cool but infantry/gunplay is really weak. If you are not in a vehicle aka Tank or Hawk, you're dog meat pal.

not true. rocket launcher + speedbike has served me well for guerrilla tank smashing, and fast enough to dodge incoming hawk fire.

njean777

The only things that need tweaking for me are the homing missile needs to be faster, flack weaker, and seeker missiles a bit stronger. Other then that I have no other problems about any of the other weapons. I am a beast on the Hawks, I was quite good in Warhawk also, but I like the fact that they made the Hawks easier to take down in this game as it could become a real shit fest on Warhawk if you were with a team that did not know how to use the Hawks. This game just feels more balanced so far to me, and I am loving it.

The reason I say the Flack needs to be weakend (hawk version BTW) is because it is just to easy to kill somebody with them, I literally almost get all my kills in the hawks with them. Unless I am attacking ground units of course.

Nothing is more satifying than running into a game when your team aggressively captures the flag.

I feel like the Build n Battle influences too much of a decensive stance sometimes.

Top Bottom