• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Startup claims it's created a robot that entirely replaces fast-food kitchen staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
And I think it's fascinating

This is the startup's website

I saw the link on this blog I frequent (the author wrote Lights in the Tunnel, a book I plug often in threads).

And thought it would be interesting to read about - generally the premise is, this startup claims that their robot is faster, more sanitary and effecient than 2-3 human staffers, and is cheap enough that it can make restaurants money back within a year - some interesting quotes from the blog:

Momentum Machines is a new San Francisco-based start-up that is planning to automate the burger production process. The company’s website claims its robot will save the average restaurant $135K/year in wages and overhead and that the machine will pay for itself in one year.

Its creators believe their patty-flipping Alpha robot could save the fast-food industry in the United States about US$9 billion (Dh33.05bn) a year. Designed to entirely replace two to three full-time kitchen staff, it can grill a beef patty, layer it with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and onions, put it in a bun, and wrap it up to go – no less than 360 times an hour.

Includes a great quote from a company co-founder:

“Our device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient,” said co-founder Alexandros Vardakostas. “It’s meant to completely obviate them.”

What does GAF think? Is this company going to be successful? Are there going to be other companies that come in and try to do the same? What sort of economical effect will it have, 'obliterating' kitchen staff in fast food restaurants?

Update:
Interesting edit - apparently they're considering opening their own chain, and are looking at what the "2.0" version of said robot will be able to do

http://momentummachines.com/concepts/
http://foodbeast.com/content/2012/11/16/heres-a-look-at-the-worlds-first-smart-restaurant-chain-kitchen-free-and-run-by-robots-2/

Our next revision will offer custom meat grinds for every single customer. Want a patty with 1/3 pork and 2/3 bison ground after you place your order? No problem.
Also, our next revision will use gourmet cooking techniques never before used in a fast food restaurant, giving the patty the perfect char but keeping in all the juices.

Includes a great quote from a company co-founder:

“Our device isn’t meant to make employees more efficient,” said co-founder Alexandros Vardakostas. “It’s meant to completely obviate them.”

He sounds like a really great person.

Joates

Banned
Love the jobs comments in this thread. As though flipping burgers is even enough to live on...

Anywho, its only a matter of time to it becomes much more automated, kind of surprised it hasnt happened yet.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Love the jobs comments in this thread. As though flipping burgers is even enough to live on...

Anywho, its only a matter of time to it becomes much more automated, kind of surprised it hasnt happened yet.

Well, a lot of people do live on that sort of job - it's also one of the first jobs a lot of people get in their youth. It is sad that people live on a part time minimum wage salary... but it happens. The blog even mentions something that happened last year when McDonalds had a huge hiring fair, where they tried hiring 50,000 people and a million people showed up.

Im sure an unemployment rate of 15% will do wonders to the fast food industry.

Think about it, whats the consumer that frequents fast food the most?

Usually lower income service employees that dont have time or money for a full meal.

And whats happens when all these people get fired?

Suddenly, no more money for fast food.

Corporations need to listen to Henry Ford unless they plan on digging their own graves.

Burger King came closer then anyone has today with their initial design over fifty years ago, but it was a rube goldberg style contraption that caused them a huge amount of problems.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Food will be so cheap without labor, who needs jobs? :(

Yeah, just like digital delivery has made products cheaper because they don't have to worry about shipping and packaging...

Not trying to sound snarky, but even without the added cost of a staff I don't imagine any fast food chain will pass the savings on to us. They'll just justify the cost by saying the machine requires constant maintenance.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see any reason why we should try to keep these jobs around, besides the widespread availability of them. It's not enough to earn a living wage on and is backbreaking and miserable work. Liberate these people! Liberate these slaves to the wage!

slit

Lost_In_Space_robot_body_1_2_2004.jpg

I'm only interested if they let him hand me my food.

I don't see any reason why we should try to keep these jobs around, besides the widespread availability of them. It's not enough to earn a living wage on and is backbreaking and miserable work. Liberate these people! Liberate these slaves to the wage!

*sigh* If it only were this black & white.

Low wage jobs like these are supposed to be an entry into the workforce for 16-20 year olds. Fortunately, due to our sparkling economy, they are also jobs for people with families to feed. Sigh.

Goldrush

Doubt it'll save that much. You'll replacing three unskilled labor post with a skilled post and an unskilled post to clean it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* If it only were this black & white.

Low wage jobs like these are supposed to be an entry into the workforce for 16-20 year olds. Fortunately, due to our sparkling economy, they are also jobs for people with families to feed. Sigh.

I was being a shade facetious, but seriously, I wish an entry point for 16-20 year olds was not such simple labor. Sure, you learn some helpful skills I bet - dealing with shitty people (which is a good skill to have in all walks of life) - counting money quickly and efficiently, and seeing how businesses work - but hopefully this kind of job being phased out gives kids an easier in to another job.

But who am I kidding, it won't. And like Snakes said - jobs for people with families to feed. And that sucks. It just simply sucks.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Doubt it'll save that much. You'll replacing three unskilled labor post with a skilled post and an unskilled post to clean it.

Skilled post? And on the unskilled post, you'd fire someone and then hire someone else to clean it?

What would probably happen is that (if you were a chain) you'd have a few people in the maintenance/repair of these robots, maybe one per 10 stores, who goes around tinkering and fixing them all day. And at the restaurant, instead of having... what... 8 employees throughout the day on different shifts (with 2-3 there at one time) you'd have the manager and the cashiers, and have someone clean the machine every once in a while.

Mind you, there are people who are much smarter than me and could probably work out a more effecient system.

dabig2

Technology and automation will not stop. It will be interesting to see how we as a society adapt.

The Star Trek future is ultimately where we'll need to be as technology progresses. If we don't get to Star Trek, then our future will look more like one of those dystopian nightmares.

kswiston

As a few others have mentioned, the people who work in fast food restaurants (teenagers, retirees, people who are in between jobs or who can't find higher paying work for a number of reasons) are the same demographics likely to eat at fast food restaurants. I personally worked as a grocer during high school, but half my friends worked fast food, and half their pay went toward buying fast food (not necessarily from their restaurant).

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
We're losing jobs to the machines!

Humans are just like any other organism on this planet. Flip a boulder on it's side and you'll find a million little critters living on scraps. It is a shame, but also a reality. Some people do their best to make due on the shittiest salaries you could imagine.

No sympathy from me towards the people who lose their jobs. I mean... the business is just looking to save some money by replacing humans with robots. Just like people who buy online to save money rather than buying from local stores (big box or otherwise).

Edit:
Typos and grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom